Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

After four years and (soon to be) 40 episodes, Peter Capaldi's tenure as Doctor is coming to an end. At his announcement, many presumed he would be the first Doctor to use the C-word in a televised story. As it turned out, the 12th Doctor would be the 'acceptance' Doctor, one who came to recognize his shortcomings and use them to make the universe a better place. Capaldi played the Doctor as if he was trying to have fun for the first time in a long time, and for some people he took too long to find that 'fun'. No one can deny the strong choice of casting him, however. It was a bold move, having a Doctor as old as Hartnell was in 1963 come in after a string of actors aged 40 and younger playing the action hero type.

This is Doctor Who, however, and with death comes regeneration. The 13th Doctor, played by Jodie Whittaker, is...well, we don't know anything yet. Much like when Russell T Davies handed the reigns to Steven Moffat, the new Doctor will have lines written specially by the new showruner, Chris Chibnall in the closing scene of the previous regime's final episode. How will the 13 act differently from 12? We probably won't know until Autumn 2018, because the new Doctors get, at most, a minute's worth of screen time to say "why aren't I ginger yet?" And then BEEEEEYOOOOOO THE DOCTOR WILL RETURN IN The Evil of Evil

Anyway! As if you've forgotten, this year's Christmas special, Twice Upon a Time features Lorenzo Music as Ralph, the All-Purpose Animal David Bradley as the First Doctor, presumably in Antarctica in the far-off year of 1986. Mark Gattis will have an on-screen role as a World War I captain whose name I can't find at the moment. There are other characters, but I don't know if I should reveal them now. Keep in mind this is a Christmas special and that it won't be too serious, and you'll be OK. Unless the episode is crap, which I cannot guarantee it won't be.

The poll? Well, a few years ago I made this exact poll to see what people liked the best. I think with Moffat leaving the show, it's time to revisit the topic. Please note that not every producer is listed; I removed the ones that got >1% of the results from last time.

The previous thread can be found here. Now for the formalities.

NO SPOILERS
By edict of the moderators, this is a SPOILER-FREE ZONE. Other than backstage stuff (hiring people), DO NOT POST SPOILERS. AT ALL. Even if the Washington Post reveals video of Donald Trump handing a big stack of government secrets to Vladimir Putin and one of the papers is labeled 'Martha Jones is a Rutan', DON'T POST IT HERE. If you must post about spoilers, go to the spoiler thread. Episode titles can be spoiler-y, so use discretion when discussing episodes yet to air. For example, 'Hide' doesn't spoil anything, but 'OH poo poo IT'S THE DALEKS' does.

HOWEVER, the moment HRH the Q lays eyes on the program(me), it is no longer a spoiler. If you are a Johnny Foreigner like myself, you'd best stay away from this thread from Christmas Day until you watch the episode. It's the price we pay for not paying a license.

WHERE DO I START?
If you want to start with the revival, you should start with The Pilot. This doesn't mean to disregard the nine series from 2005-2016, but it's a good getting-on point. If you want to watch the original series, there are plenty of places to start. You COULD start with An Unearthly Child and watch everything in chronological order. You could also watch individual serials of all the Doctors and determine which you like the best. Keep in mind, don't shotgun a whole Hartnell or Troughton in one go, or else you'll get complacent. Those 60's episodes are meant to be seen one at a time, and if you only just rented the DVD, wait a few hours between episodes.

The most popular serials for the original series you can jump into are:

First Doctor: An Unearthly Child, The Aztecs
Second Doctor: The Tomb of the Cybermen, The Enemy of the World
Third Doctor: Spearhead from Space, Carnival of Monsters
Fourth Doctor: Pyramids of Mars, The Robots of Death
Fifth Doctor: Kinda, Frontios
Sixth Doctor: Vengeance on Varos, Revelation of the Daleks
Seventh Doctor: Dragonfire, Remembrance of the Daleks

WHERE CAN I WATCH DOCTOR WHO?
If you're an American, you're in luck! You can watch the original run of Doctor Who both on TV (Retro TV and some PBS stations) and online (via BritBox*)! If you're not an American, I'm sorry but you'll have to buy or rent the episodes on DVD.

For the current run:

ON TELEVISION
UK - BBC One (first run), Watch
USA - BBC America (first run), most PBS stations
Canada - Space
Australia - ABC1 (first run), ABC ME, Syfy

STREAMING
UK - Netflix
USA - Amazon Video
Canada - CraveTV
Australia - Netflix & Stan

*Day of the Daleks, Planet of the Daleks, the Five Doctors, Resurrection of the Daleks, Revelation of the Daleks, and Remembrance of the Daleks are not available, along with any serial missing at least one episode.

SHOULD I BUY THE DVDs AND BLU RAYS?
Just for the bonus features alone.

THE NOT-AT-ALL BRIEF GUIDE TO BIG FINISH
There are hundreds, probably thousands of Doctor Who and Doctor Who-related audio dramas released by Big Finish Productions. This is not a post telling you what audio dramas to listen to, because everyone has an opinion that is different from everyone else (some people like Minuet in Hell, believe it or not). This is a post telling you the basic info on the different series of titles there are. I'm only covering ongoing ranges, since devoting a paragraph to the Stage Plays seems a bit silly. If you're wondering why I'm about to spend a good portion of the OP about audio dramas, you are clearly new to the Doctor Who thread.

The Monthly Range
Since 1999, Big Finish have released, on a consistent basis, mostly standalone stories featuring the Fifth, Sixth, and Seventh (formerly including Eighth) Doctors. Up to 233rd(!) release this month.

The Fourth Doctor Adventures
Tom Baker gets his own line of releases.

Philip Hinchcliffe Presents
Back on again! Another Tom Baker line of releases, all based on stories written by former showrunner Philip Hinchcliffe.

The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield
Sylvester McCoy (and later, David Warner) plays a supporting role to Bernice Summerfield, a companion introduced in the Virgin New Adventures line of books.

Novel Adaptations
Based on Virgin New Adventures and Virgin Missing Adventures, the book ranges that lasted Doctor Who fans from 1991 to 1997.

The Eighth Doctor Adventures / Dark Eyes / Doom Coalition / The Eighth Doctor - The Time War
Paul McGann's Doctor also gets his own line. Goons love 'em.

The Tenth Doctor Adventures
David Tennant reprises his role in mini-seasons every chance he can get, and the results are very RTD-like. In a good way!

The Companion Chronicles / The Early Adventures
This is important: SOME OF THESE ARE NOT AUDIO DRAMAS. These are "enhanced audiobooks" for the most part, which means that one person does all the parts while another gives narration, but also contains sound effects and music cues. The Companion Chronicles originally were one-handers, but now may contain small casts, which the Early Adventure always have.

Spinoffs
There are a ton of these, ranging from good (I, Davros) to who gives a poo poo (anything involving a companion from the audio series).

THE TOXXUPATION THREAD WITH A VENGEANCE
It's on hiatus! Watch in amazement as the forums user currently known as Lick! The! Whisk! puts his writing skills to the test in describing his thoughts on the most recent series. They will be wrong.

THE DISCORD
I keep forgetting to put this in the OP, so here it is. The future is now!

FINALLY, let's take a look at what people thought of Voyage of the Damned, the Christmas special from 10 years ago!

Leovinus posted:

God. We're only five minutes in and this is already loving awful.

Edit: It's getting worse!

Edit: WHY DOES THE COMPUTER HAVE A WELSH ACCENT

JoeSchmoe posted:

Jesus christ that was some painful crap.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Even by the standards of Doctor Who, that was loving awful.

Yikes. Oh, and the Doctor will have a vagina soon.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As always, shameless self-advertising:

An index of the write-ups I've done for all the Revival Episodes so far, as well as the (distressingly large number) of Big Finish Audios I've listened to so far.

Be warned that most of the television write-ups feature a number of spoilers for future episodes as well, as they were all written months or years after I saw them on original airing. Audio write-ups may also feature references to episodes of the show, both classic and revival.

4th Doctor Adventures (Audio)
Season One

5th Doctor
Phantasmagoria | The Land of the Dead | Red Dawn | Winter for the Adept | The Mutant Phase | Loup-Garoux/The Eye of the Scorpion | Primeval | The Church and the Crown | Nekromanteia | Creatures of Beauty | Omega | The Axis of Insanity | The Roof of the World | The Game | Three's a Crowd | The Council of Nicaea | Singularity | The Kingmaker | The Gathering/The Veiled Leopard | Circular Time | Renaissance of the Daleks | Exotron | Son of the Dragon | The Mind's Eye | The Bride of Peladon | The Haunting of Thomas Brewster | The Boy That Time Forgot | Time Reef | The Judgement of Isskar | The Destroyer of Delights | The Chaos Pool

6th Doctor
Whispers of Terror | The Marian Conspiracy | The Spectre of Lanyon Moor | The Apocalypse Element | The Holy Terror | Bloodtide | Project: Twilight | The One Doctor | ...ish | The Sandman | Jubilee | Doctor Who and the Pirates | Project: Lazarus | Davros | The Wormery | Arrangements for War | Medicinal Purposes | The Juggernauts | Catch-1782 | Thicker Than Water | Pier Pressure | The Nowhere Place | The Reaping | Year of the Pig | I.D | The Wishing Beast | 100 | The Condemned | Assassin in the Limelight | The Doomwood Curse | Brotherhood of the Daleks | Return of the Krotons | The Raincloud Man | Patient Zero | Paper Cuts

7th Doctor
The Fearmonger | The Genocide Machine | The Fires of Vulcan | The Shadow of the Scourge | Dust Breeding | Colditz | The Rapture | Bang-Bang-a-Boom! | The Dark Flame | Project: Lazarus | Flip-Flop | Master | The Harvest | Dreamtime | Unregenerate! | Live 34 | Night Thoughts | The Settling | Red | No Man's Land | Nocturne | Valhalla | Frozen Time | The Dark Husband | The Death Collectors | Kingdom of Silver | Forty-Five | The Magic Mousetrap | Enemy of the Daleks | The Angel of Scutari

8th Doctor
Televised
TV Movie: The Enemy Within | The Night of the Doctor
Audio Monthly Range
Storm Warning | Sword of Orion | The Stones of Venice | Minuet in Hell | Invaders from Mars | The Chimes of Midnight | Seasons of Fear | Embrace the Darkness | The Time of the Daleks | Neverland | Zagreus | Scherzo/The Creed of Kromon | The Natural History of Fear | The Twilight Kingdom Faithstealer/The Last/Caerdroia/The Next Life | Terror Firma | Scaredy Cat | Other Lives | Time Works | Something Inside | Memory Lane | Absolution | The Girl Who Never Was | The Company of Friends

Audio 8th Doctor Adventures
Season 1: Blood of the Daleks | The Horror of Glam Rock | Immortal Beloved | Phobos | No More Lies | Human Resources
Season 2: Dead London | Max Warp | Brave New Town | The Skull of Sobek | Grand Theft Cosmos | The Zygon Who Fell to Earth | Sisters of the Flame | The Vengeance of Morbius
Season 3: Orbis | The Hothouse | The Beast of Orlok | Wirrn Dawn | The Scapegoat | The Cannibalists | The Eight Truths | Worldwide Web
Season 4: Death in Blackpool | (Bonus) An Earthly Child | Situation Vacant | Nevermore | The Book of Kells | Deimos/The Resurrection of Mars | Relative Dimensions | Prisoner of the Sun | Lucie Miller/To The Death

The War Doctor
Only the Monstrous | Infernal Devices | Agents of Chaos | Casualties of War | The Day of the Doctor

9th Doctor
Rose | The End of the World | The Unquiet Dead | Aliens of London/World War 3 | Dalek | The Long Game | Father's Day | The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances | Boom Town | Bad Wolf | The Parting of the Ways

10th Doctor
Season 2
The Christmas Invasion | New Earth | Tooth and Claw | School Reunion | The Girl in the Fireplace | Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel | The Idiot's Lantern | The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit | Love and Monsters | Fear Her | Army of Ghosts | Doomsday

Season 3
The Runaway Bride | Smith & Jones | The Shakespeare Code | Gridlock | Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks | The Lazarus Experiment | 42 | Human Nature/The Family of Blood | Blink | Utopia | The Sound of Drums | The Last of the Time Lords | Time Crash

Season 4
Voyage of the Damned | Partners in Crime | The Fires of Pompeii | Planet of the Ood | The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky | The Doctor's Daughter | The Unicorn and the Wasp | Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead | Midnight | Turn Left | The Stolen Earth/Journey's End

Year of Specials
The Next Doctor | Planet of the Dead | Waters of Mars | The End of Time

10th Doctor Adventures (Audio)
Volume 1 | Volume 2

11th Doctor
Season 5
The Eleventh Hour | The Beast Below | Victory of the Daleks | Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone | The Vampires of Venice | Amy's Choice | The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood | Vincent and the Doctor | The Lodger | The Pandorica Opens | The Big Bang | A Christmas Carol

Season 6
The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon | The Curse of the Black Spot | The Doctor's Wife | The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People | A Good Man Goes To War | Let's Kill Hitler | Night Terrors | The Girl Who Waited | The God Complex | Closing Time | The Wedding of River Song | The Doctor, The Widow & The Wardrobe

Season 7
Asylum of the Daleks | Dinosaurs on a Spaceship | A Town Called Mercy | The Power of Three | The Angels Take Manhattan | The Snowmen | The Bells of Saint John | The Rings of Akhaten | Cold War | Hide | Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS | The Crimson Horror | Nightmare in Silver | The Name of the Doctor | The Day of the Doctor | The Time of the Doctor

12th Doctor
Season 8
Deep Breath | Into the Dalek | Robot of Sherwood | Listen | Time Heist | The Caretaker | Kill the Moon | Mummy on the Orient Express | Flatline | In the Forest of the Night | Dark Water | Death in Heaven | Last Christmas

Season 9
The Magician's Apprentice | The Witch's Familiar | Under the Lake/Before the Flood | The Girl Who Died | The Woman Who Lived | The Zygon Invasion | The Zygon Inversion | Sleep No More | Face the Raven | Heaven Sent | Hell Bent | The Husbands of River Song

Season 10
The Return of Doctor Mysterio | The Pilot | Smile | Thin Ice | Knock Knock | Oxygen

Big Finish Specials
The Sirens of Time | The Light at the End | UNIT: Dominion | UNIT: Extinction | UNIT: Shutdown | UNIT: Silenced | UNIT: Assembled | UNIT: Encounters | The Diary of River Song Volume 1 | The Diary of River Song Volume 2 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 1 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 2 | The War Master Volume One

Also just for ease of access, here are most of the gifs I've posted over the years in the various threads:

William Hartnell | Patrick Troughton | Jon Pertwee | Tom Baker | Peter Davison | Colin Baker | Sylvester McCoy | Paul McGann | Christopher Eccleston | David Tennant | Matt Smith | Peter Capaldi | Jodie Whittaker

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 8, 2018

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I don’t know how you do it, Jerusalem. It’s like you can sense when I’m making a new thread.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
"What did you say, my boy? It's all over? That's what you said... but it isn't at all. It's far from being all over...!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Obligatory

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Edward Mass posted:

THE DISCORD
I keep forgetting to put this in the OP, so here it is. The future is now!

This link doesn't work? It opens discord, but then doesn't display anything.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Poll lacks Nicholas Briggs, therefore it is invalid. :colbert:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2...carey-mulligan/

anyone got a scan of the full print interview?

apart from a bit about not brining Sally Sparrow back, there's not much here but apparently Moffat said something silly about not doing a woman Doctor before because of Brexit

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cerv posted:

apart from a bit about not brining Sally Sparrow back, there's not much here but apparently Moffat said something silly about not doing a woman Doctor before because of Brexit

Something to the effect of, "I thought about having a female Doctor before we cast Peter, but I decided not to because not everyone who watches the show is as progressive or enlightened as I am," and cited people voting for Brexit as evidence.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/SFXmagazine/status/937992571615436800

:getin:

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Can someone explain to an American how this matters in any way?

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Out of curiosity, is that Jodie's natural accent? Or is she putting one on like Tennant?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Gordon Shumway posted:

Out of curiosity, is that Jodie's natural accent? Or is she putting one on like Tennant?

She's from Yorkshire originally so yeah, guessing it's her natural one.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Changing threads! And not a moment too soon!

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

hanales posted:

You know how people in countries have different accents depending on where they’re from? It’s about that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

hanales posted:

Regional accents everywhere are treated like "lower-class" and people who speak with them are played off as morons or comic relief in media. It's true in America too (the braindead Southerner, the the Irish stereotype Bostonian, the dopey midwesterner, etc.), but because the BBC required that everyone speak with received pronunciation for a long time, it's maybe even worse in the UK. Christopher Eccleston has talked about how it's good when people are allowed to speak with their natural accents. Besides being easier for an actor, it helps to dispel the illusion that RP is "proper" English and other accents are for street peasants or whatever; having every character speak the same leaves the acting, as Eccleston puts it, "milky and anodyne."

Lots of planets have a North, so I am glad we will be getting another Doctor with a Northern accent.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Edward Mass posted:

Yikes. Oh, and the Doctor will have a vagina soon.

Ahem. The Doctor will be a woman soon. What kit she'll have is, thankfully, beyond the scope of the Doctor Who universe.

*Someone mentions looms*

I SAID IT'S BEYOND THE SCOPE OF THE DOCTOR WHO UNIVERSE

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I'd be happy if I never saw Mark Gattis in anything ever again tbh

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

cargohills posted:

You know how people in countries have different accents depending on where they’re from? It’s about that.

Yes but that's not news.

Bicyclops posted:

Regional accents everywhere are treated like "lower-class" and people who speak with them are played off as morons or comic relief in media. It's true in America too (the braindead Southerner, the the Irish stereotype Bostonian, the dopey midwesterner, etc.), but because the BBC required that everyone speak with received pronunciation for a long time, it's maybe even worse in the UK. Christopher Eccleston has talked about how it's good when people are allowed to speak with their natural accents. Besides being easier for an actor, it helps to dispel the illusion that RP is "proper" English and other accents are for street peasants or whatever; having every character speak the same leaves the acting, as Eccleston puts it, "milky and anodyne."

Lots of planets have a North, so I am glad we will be getting another Doctor with a Northern accent.

That's interesting, thank you.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

corn in the bible posted:

I'd be happy if I never saw Mark Gattis in anything ever again tbh

He's very good at playing slimy and craven characters the audience isn't supposed to like. I don't know if this character in the upcoming episode is like that, but it doesn't seem that way so far

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

2house2fly posted:

He's very good at playing slimy and craven characters the audience isn't supposed to like. I don't know if this character in the upcoming episode is like that, but it doesn't seem that way so far

I'm just sick of him, he's in drat near everything because he's so well-connected

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It'll be sad to see Twelve go, but nothing wrong with a new face

It's the writers/showrunner I'm more concerned about and as long as they keep the Doctor in-character, I'll be content

Granted, that leaves room for everyone without two hearts to gripe about things, so...double-edged sword, and all that

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Big Finish has you covered for Christmas.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Twice Upon a Time will broadcast on BBC One at 5:30 PM GMT.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Rad, her natural accent is adorable

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

We're so close to the end of Capaldi :smith:

But.... the moment has been prepared for :unsmith:

And we're just as close to the beginning of Whittaker! :woop:

Goddamn that is pretty cool :)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Re-watching the Stolen Earth. I am so glad we haven't gotten something so self-serving of a finale since.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Edward Mass posted:

Re-watching the Stolen Earth. I am so glad we haven't gotten something so self-serving of a finale since.

It's not too late!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Stolen Earth/Journey's End was completely loving barmy and I loved it

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

2house2fly posted:

It really really really should've been the end of RTD's run.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

2house2fly posted:

Agreed. And I rewatched it in the last week. It is absolutely the best EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE IS AT STAKE story (that I can think of at this exact moment).

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

howe_sam posted:

It really really really should've been the end of RTD's run.

Ehhhh the episodes after had their moments. There was some wretched poo poo as well, but it was all worth it for that scene of Wilfred in the radiation thing, which is my favourite RTD scene and I think a great example of how when he was on he could be great in ways Moffat couldn't even approach. Look at that long speech about kindness in The Doctor Falls that goes on for hundreds of words, and compare it to how much RTD was able to say with "Wilfred, it's my honour".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Agreed. And I rewatched it in the last week. It is absolutely the best EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE IS AT STAKE story (that I can think of at this exact moment).

The destruction! Of Reality! ITSELF!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

The destruction! Of Reality! ITSELF!

I love so much Davros' understated and slightly surprised,"Why... the Reality Bomb of course..."

It's like he understands the Doctor's intelligence but doesn't quite grasp that most people's minds don't travel along the lines of,"How can I make a bomb big enough to wipe out all of reality itself?"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
On one hand, it's too bad they didn't have Terry Molloy back, but on the other, Julian Bleach as Davros was enormously fun. The "It's too late -- I'm regenerating!" cliffhanger and the big "TO! BE! CONTINUED!" were also great (even though the next episode was never going to live up to them, which was a problem common to both RTD and Moffat).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Davros almost feels weird in the episode because we're somehow invited to take him more seriously than everything else. Like it's this big ol' mess of a reunion with a regeneration fakeout and two Doctors, spinning Daleks, but then there's Davros. That he's a thing of disgust for the Daleks that they can't quite get rid of, his weirdly poignant comment about how the Doctor turns his companions into weapons, and even his megalomaniacal glee about the reality bomb just feel like they're from a more straightforward story.

I really love that two-parter on a rewatch, though. It has so many good moments. Julian Bleach is great, Catherine Tate gets a lot of varied material to work with, everyone has some fun lines. "The Osterhagen key? Who came up with that? Well, someone called Osterhagen I suppose, but are you insane?"

It's just such a great celebration of the RTD years. Shame about what they do to Donna at the end, but other than that, it's just fun!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

We're so close to the end of Capaldi :smith:

But.... the moment has been prepared for :unsmith:

And we're just as close to the beginning of Whittaker! :woop:

Goddamn that is pretty cool :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tlsd8TuzWY

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Nov 2018's Main Range release sees the return of Klein

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The Fifth Doctor's Sonic and "The Visitation?" I see what you did there, DoctorWhat! You'll get yours... oh yes, you'll get yours! :sassargh:

Thank you, you're the best! :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

And a cat?!

• Locked thread