Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
Problem description: This started about a month or so ago out of the blue. Basically, things I am doing - specifically in this case games - cannot create, modify, etc. files or folders in my User folder. Example : Fallout 4 could not create any of its default .ini's and could not create saved games in C:\Users\<name>\Document\my games\Fallout4. I recently purchased Shadowhand and same issue. It could not create its default folder C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Grey Hands Games\Shadowhand. I've checked permissions and ownership as much as I know how. SYSTEM owns the Users folder itself, I'm the owner of my user folder. System owns the subfolders (oddly), but even if I change that it doesn't impact this. Running the games as Admin doesn't do anything else.

Attempted fixes: I've checked permissions and ownership as much as I know how. SYSTEM owns the Users folder itself, I'm the owner of my user folder. System owns the subfolders (oddly), but even if I change that it doesn't impact this. Running the games as Admin doesn't do anything else. I've swapped from a local account to a Microsoft Account thinking that might go in and reset all the permissions - it didn't, or if it did it didn't do anything. I've made sure Administrators, System, and I have Full permissions on all these folders as well. I'm kinda at a loss.

Recent changes: None. As I noted above I swapped from a local to MS Account but that occurred AFTER the problem as a troubleshooting step.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro

System specs: Self built, i5 6600K, nVidia GTX 1080, etc. I would be blown away if this was hardware related at all. If you need more hardware specs, I can supply them

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Google led me to a bunch of stuff mostly related to Win 2008 Server, and far more complex system sharing configurations. This is a single user computer with only basic file sharing stuff enabled (to my laptop and via Plex), nothing fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd try doing a system restore going a month or two back (before the issue started) if possible.

Also, run the portable zip edition of CDI to check HD health:
https://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Add ‘Everyone’ user into permission, and enable allow everything in all the group and user name.

• Locked thread