Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
The Components
1. SSD: WD Blue 250GB Internal SSD Solid State Drive - SATA 6Gb/s 2.5 Inch - WDS250G1B0A
2. USB: 32gb USB drive
3. PC System. I honestly don't remember all the specs. It's somewhat old at this point, but it was working just great till the previous SSD in it died.

The Problem

The main hard drive containing windows on my media sever died. I bought a new solid state drive to replace it. While attempting the below process the only things I have plugged into the computer are an HDMI cable, my USB drive, a usb mouse, and a usb keyboard. All usb ports utilized are 2.0.

1. I opened the computer, and inserted my new solid state drive.
2. I placed a Windows 10 image on a USB using the Windows USB/DVD tool from this website: http://wudt.codeplex.com/
3. I plugged in the USB drive, USB keyboard, USB mouse, and booted the computer.
4. The windows installer loaded fine, I got through the first 3 screens fine. Then when I got to the screen where I had to choose a hard drive, it recognized my new drive as "Drive 3, Unallocated Space". I clicked "new", and it partitioned it, so it changed to "Drive 3 Partition 1". Then when I hit "next' to install windows I got the following error :

"We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one, see the Setup log files".

5. I attempted to do every combination of "Format", "Delete" --> "New" possible, but it just keeps giving me the same error.

What I found Tried

Googling led me to find that this is not an uncommon issue with SSD's and Windows 10. However, there doesn't seem to be one fix it all solution.

I first attempted a suggestion from this website: http://www.eassos.com/blog/fixed-we-couldnt-create-a-new-partition-or-locate-an-existing-one/

1. I tried their first suggestion, which was to go to command prompt in Windows Repair on the boot disk. From there I opened diskpart, and did the following set of commands to my new SSD: "List Disk, Select Disk 3, Clean, Clean Partition Primary, Active, Format fs=ntfs quick, Assign. Exit". I still got the error message on reboot.

What I have left to try

The website above had several other suggestions that were more difficult to quickly implement, and I had already spent about 3 hours at this point. So I wanted to stop and get your opinions on which of these would be worth trying next:

1. That website's solution 3 is to partition the SSD to GPT. They claim this is too difficult to do with just diskpart, so I would need to find a bootable partition program to do it.

2. They have a solution that states "disconnect any additional usb drives", but since my mouse and keyboard are USB, I'm not sure how I could do that, and still install windows

3. Finally at the bottom of their webpage, they suggest a solution specifically for SSD drives, which is to disconnect all other hard drives, and try with just the SSD connected. I haven't done this yet, because my media server case is a giant pain in the rear end to navigate. I tried turning off SATA connections in the BIOS (which they say is an acceptable alternative to actually unplugging), but I would still have to go into the case, because my SSD and another drive are on the same SATA controller, so I can't totally isolate it right now.

4. One other suggestion I've read on the web is to plug the new SSD drive into another computer that already has windows installed, and then install it from the OS. I've never done something like that, but I guess it's possible? I'm not sure what tools/programs I would need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah, when you install windows you should only have a single drive connected or it tries to do all sorts of funky poo poo, my recommendation would be to do that first.

Haven't dealt with the exact issue you're having but I have dealt with installing windows with multiple drives connected and it always causes a headache.

• Locked thread