Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

I blame the invention of barbed wire for the Hellscape that America finds itself in today. In 1862 President Lincoln signed the homestead act which opened up the Western Territories for settlement if you intended on starting a farm. It was largely unsuccessful prior to the invention of barbed wire because of one reason: cattle culture. Basically free range cattle owned and dominated the landscape and the idea of putting a fence in the middle of nowhere was anathema to cowboys and cattle culture. The unwritten law was that cattle had free access to graze lands and water and it didn't matter whose land it was.

Now a bunch of farmers are moving in and they have a serious problem. The Cattle are have Blue Apron meals at the expense of their crops and there is very little stone and lumber in the Great Plains to build fences to keep the cows out. Not to mention most of these cows are Texas Longhorns, which are a particularly ornery and aggressive breed that just knock down fences that are put up. Lots of things were tried to solve the issue including building....hedge fences. Nothing worked so a good number of settlers gave up and moved back east or to California. The Great Plains were an untamed wasteland and it looked like nothing could be done to bring it under control. Enter Joseph Glidden. He improved on an early invention of barbed wire(the original inventor lived in Austin I believe and was murdered, probably for his unorthodox fencing practices) and partnered with another dude and started selling barbed wire. At the end of their second year, he sold 600,000 lbs of barbed wire. BAM! The Plains were tamed.

And now we enter the Hell Dimension.

Which brings me to my point. If barbed wire had never been invented, manifest destiny would never have been achieved at least not until much, much later. There would be a lot more Native Lands. The Flyover States probably wouldn't exist in their current forms. More people would live in Metropolitan Areas with better access to education and economic opportunities. Donald Trump would not have been elected. Hell Dimension would not exist.

Edit : gently caress! Forgot to change the identifier. Guess this is a Cattle poo poo Post now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Somebody just listened to The Dollop #305.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
trump derangement syndrome strikes again

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Frankenstyle posted:

Somebody just listened to The Dollop #305.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yea it was a poo poo movie agreed op

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't know I have fond memories appreciating Pamela Anderson's big fake breasts in black leather.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The scenery was ok yea

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

all civilizations that involve agriculture of any kind lead directly to a trump-like figure being elected supreme leader.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

True, I did listen to the Dollop. I also enjoy reading about history and recognizing repeat events in modern history that occurred previously in the past.

For instance Trumps Presidency is very similar to Hardings and Andrew Jacksons. A whole heap of corruption and money grabs at the expense of the poor which led to the Great Depression.

Humans don't learn very well from past mistakes. Furthermore, it is an interesting talking point that I thought SA Goons might have neat stuff to say about it.

Also lol if you actually think that being concerned that Trump is President being "deranged".

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I think maybe you should stop writing essays based on somebody else's half assed idea and supported with tenuous logic at best.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I agree, Pam Anderson is not a very good actress.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
those cows were some pussy-rear end bitches, I woulda just torn that poo poo down with my fuckin horns

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

That's really poor logic, op. Barbed wire didn't cause anything. It was the direct result of a need. The French whose patents were stolen by Americans Manifest destiny created barbed wire .

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
It's unfortunate, but the only way to save the planet is to kill all the cows.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Volcott posted:

It's unfortunate, but the only way to save the planet is to kill all the cows.

I'm working on this, one burger at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blue Train posted:

I'm working on this, one burger at a time

better start ordering triple patties then because it's not working yet

• Locked thread