Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe
This is either a love story, or my man playing the long game

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/marilyn-monroe-marries-joe-dimaggio

Like, sorry you can’t handle your liquor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Doc Ellis threw a No Hitter on acid.
Wade Boggs slammed like 48 beers on a flight.
I hit a HR once in a game and my friend called me Albert Belle.
I went to Indians games when I was a kid and chanted "Joey" at Belle with all the old drunk dudes in LF after he left the Indians.

That's all I got OP, nice thread so far.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
here's a baseball story for ya - yer' outta heah!!!

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe
Listen I got 3 pitches. Fastball, slider, and mr. Snappy. The coaches don’t like mr snappy

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I saw this minor league pitcher hit the Bull mascot in Durham twice in one game.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I don't watch or like baseball but the Dollop's episode on Rube Waddell convinced me that he's my favorite sport ball player.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

one time i felt baseball was boring so i didn't watch a single game of it for my entire life. just one of many interesting baseball stories i have about my life irl

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe

Hell Yeah posted:

one time i felt baseball was boring so i didn't watch a single game of it for my entire life. just one of many interesting baseball stories i have about my life irl

Yeah you can play on the jungle gym. They have those for the women and children

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
A few years ago I found out that baseball players kill birds sometimes and I spent a day watching YouTube videos of "baseball player kills bird"

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe

AWarmBody posted:

A few years ago I found out that baseball players kill birds sometimes and I spent a day watching YouTube videos of "baseball player kills bird"

Bald eagles and vultures are both protected animals in the USA

Would you kill a mockingbird? Can you quote the raven?

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The Cleveland Indians sacrifice a child to satan before every game

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
In high school I hosed a girl in the dugout of the baseball field in the center of town.You could say Baseball has always been very cool in that way.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Randy Johnson is the greatest pitcher ever

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Baseball is fun i used to play it unironically

Pube Factory
Jun 10, 2001
Pretty much the only thing I'm good at is growing these beautiful, thick pubes
I watched ken burns' baseball in its entirety and heck i'd even do it again

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
When I was a kid my parents put me in T ball. I sucked and was more interested in trying to build castles out of the field dirt.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I once got into a fist fight with a kid at school then like two days later while we were still suspended, we had a game against each other, and it felt really personal like the teams became extensions of our own fight; everyone was looking for an excuse to throw down and in the end we won due to time called after a couple of bench clearings and other delays

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
OP can we just make this a thread about kids sports stories?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

3 neighborhood toughs tried to beat me up while a bunch of us were all playing baseball so i threw the plastic bat as hard as i could at them. It hit the ringleader square in the face and he started crying. I tried consoling him but he went inside and my parents made me knock on his door and apologize to his dad.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

One time i played baseball having just gotten over chicken pox. I had scabs all over and was able to make first base with ease as no one wanted to get near me.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

I grew up on an airforce base in a housing unit that was for enlisted people who had more than two kids.

Every summer day was p much like an episode of ed edd and eddy if at least two of the eds were black and enjoyed super nintendo rpgs amd baseball

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe
Yeah you needed a vaccination. You have bad parents

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
One story is that Pat Burrell was having anal sex with a groupie in his hotel room and kept waking people up with his screaming of "YOUR PUSSY IS JEALOUS. YOUR PUSSY IS JEALOUS."

divx
Aug 21, 2005

Greg Maddux would piss on rookies' feet in the shower and would jack off into socks and put them in the clean sock bin.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

sports make you derranged

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

basic hitler posted:

sports make you derranged

Or they attract people who have no other capabilities other than throwing a ball real good

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Lurks Morington posted:

Yeah you needed a vaccination. You have bad parents

Vaccinations werent really widespread for chickenpox in the early 90s, but i agree with the sentiment

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Once as a kid I was playing baseball with friends and one kid, this guy who now plays for the major leagues, hit it so hard it broke apart so I went and got a baseball my stepdad keeps in his office so we could keep playing and it got knocked into a neighbors yard. Trouble is he had a big scary dog so we couldn't just walk over and get it back. Worse, it was an autographed ball worth a lot. Boy that was a real pickle, let me tell you.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Once as a kid I was playing baseball with friends and one kid, this guy who now plays for the major leagues, hit it so hard it broke apart so I went and got a baseball my stepdad keeps in his office so we could keep playing and it got knocked into a neighbors yard. Trouble is he had a big scary dog so we couldn't just walk over and get it back. Worse, it was an autographed ball worth a lot. Boy that was a real pickle, let me tell you.

"Hector Beerlioz got really into the 2010's. We never saw him again."

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Baseball is a cool and good game that you have to actually understand to enjoy hth

Also its the only professional sport where the defense controls the ball.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Testikles posted:

Or they attract people who have no other capabilities other than throwing a ball real good

well it's more like you have to make a decision really young in your life if you want to be a good ball thrower and the level of focus you need is usually to the exclusion of all else, so your life is now competition, which drives you insane and ensures you'll be stupid as poo poo, especially if you're drafted. In the minors, you're competing against your own team for a spot on a major league roster and you do that by destroying your body and doing everything you can to perform well enough to get the shot.

Sports breaks people's brains. I had to make a decision in HS about whether or not i wanted to go into select league poo poo and it's only become way worse in the years since i got old. but i hated how it was making me think violently and hyper-competitively

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

How has no one yet posted the best baseball story there is, hall of famer George Brett’s pants making GBS threads saga?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PseNrUeSmXk

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I love the phrase "Grand Slam" so goddamn much. Especially the "Grand" part. Just imagine how that phrase came to be.

*home run*
19th century guy with a twirly mustache: What a slam!
Other 19th century guy with a twirly mustache: A GRAND Slam!

divx posted:

Greg Maddux would piss on rookies' feet in the shower and would jack off into socks and put them in the clean sock bin.

Piss heals athlete's foot. Also, there are many baseball players that deliberately piss on their hands. It toughens the skin and prevents callouses.

Chief McHeath posted:

Baseball is a cool and good game that you have to actually understand to enjoy hth

Also its the only professional sport where the defense controls the ball.

One thing I love about baseball is that it predates modern timekeeping. The game has no clock, timer, or countdown because the sport was invented before reliable devices to measure minutes and seconds were commonplace.

I love that there's no waiting out or running down a clock. The plays must be made--there is no escape. 27 outs. To me, no other sport even comes close to baseball for tension and excitement.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

david wells pitched a perfect game with a hangover

the yankees will have 300+ home runs next season

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I played college baseball. I saw some people who I thought were playing softball and went to ask to join the game and it was actually the baseball team. Was like a real baseball team that played actual Pac10 colleges. Makes u think.

And my favorite team is so lovely, the only enjoyment we get are Nelson Cruz home runs at this point. :smith:

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
When my older brother was 13 or so, he was playing a small pickup game of baseball in the park (no fences, no dugouts). He was up at bat and made the ball go flying. He took off running to first and flung the bat behind him right into a friend's mom's pregnant belly. Fortunately the baby was fine, but dang it was scary to see happen

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Bat discipline jfc

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I was at the game where this happened. One of the actual hardest laughs I’ve had.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QixQMUu4CKI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
A Good Deed to do is when you're at the park with 3 or 5 friends or whatever just playing scrappy baseball--trying to hit bombs, tossing funky pitches, showing off your cannon or moves on the field, etc.--is to offer people passing by if they wanna bat, take a few swings.

Many, many people will accept. It's a real nice surprise for those aimless teens, those dads with toddlers. Plus it gets that friend that would be batting on the field so fielding becomes easier.

I can speak for city parks. There always seems to be people just looking to jump in and let loose for 5 or 20 minutes. A few times there were people who didn't even speak English that jumped in and played.

I keep three gloves and two bats in my bag. Just so friends or strangers can play.

Baseball brings people together. :)

I guess to tell a story..

One night three friends and I were bored but none of us wanted to go in. It was 3 AM and we went to a park just to play catch. The park is narrow, with two streets to its sides. One is a dead-end/tiny parking lot. The other street is a busy one, close to a highway exit and entrance. Anyway, we're there soft tossing, and a man emerges from the dead-end side, and he's running full speed straight across the width of the park. He never looked at us or acknowledged us, we just stared as he ran towards the other side. There was an idling car there and he hopped in it's backseat and they zoomed off. A moment later a car in the parking lot exploded. We ran towards the rising smoke. It was not like the movies. The car didn't go in the air and there was no giant mushroom flare. It was a couple of loud booms, a few low booms, and a lot fire contained within and under the car. No bodies thankfully, but who knows what could be in the trunk. People from nearby houses starting walking over. We were all worried about my friend's car because there was only one separating it from the burning car. It was fine though, and soon we just got in and left.

(I've always assumed that those people stole that car and blew it up when they were done joyriding and wanted another thrill. This was my first but not last time witnessing an exploding car. I believe the other two I've witnessed were insurance scams. They scare me because I worry that someone could be locked in the trunk. One of them happened right outside my parents house and my whole family woke up from the boom as each of our bedroom shook.)

------
tldr x2: go to the park and play catch, new and strange and amazing things will happen.

• Locked thread