Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I purchased an Asus laptop and there appears to be a weird partition (or some weird setup) of the hard drives. I have 2 drives on the laptop- C: (OS) and D: (Data). The C: is about 230gb and D: 930gb... and unsurprisingly I ran out of space pretty quickly. The D: seems to be protected and does not allow me to write anything to it. I tried to pay around with partitions using the windows partition tool, but it basically won't let me move space between the drives- I can just further break up space inside the C: and D:

I've tried to google a process to solve this, but I get the sense that playing around with this protected D: could be risky, and the random forum posts I've found don't instill a lot of confidence in me that it's not missing a step or that it's too complex for me to follow.

Any help in giving me more usable space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

"The D: seems to be protected and does not allow me to write anything to it."

What exactly has occurred to make this seem to be the case? If you open Windows Explorer and navigate to D: from there what happens? Can you create folders on D:? Does trying to write to D: generate errors? Does D: not show up as a location in Save dialogues?

For a computer with two drives that partition structure looks normal.

• Locked thread