Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Xinder posted:

I skimmed that but it looks to just be saying "I like both of these shows and think they're both classics." Not seeing any real way in which the two are similar to each other, especially not after having watched them both. Seems like a lazy comparison.

Generally what I've heard is that they're both deconstructions of their source genres and very good. And that's.. about it in terms of similarities. I've been wanting to see Utena. I just wish there was a legal streaming option, I don't want to watch it off Youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the utena vids on youtube are the legal streaming option

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah it's all on youtube legally, there's no excuse not to watch one of the best animes

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The only utena episodes I find on youtube are dubs with weird frames on them so they won't be taken down

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i googled Utena Youtube and found it instantly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TQFlVcPyUA

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

That explains it, I get a "Video not available" error which means it shouldn't show up in my searches :/

Anime Streaming In 2017 Outside Of North America

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
drat, Huge Bummer

(also its 2018)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i somehow forgot how rad the op of utena is.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
I finally got around to finishing Monster early in the year. I figured I should get around to it, since it's one of those all-time classics people talk about from time to time.

I though it was pretty interesting, but it felt like there was always something about it that kept me from being completely immersed in it. Maybe it's the fact that it's way more grounded than most anime, which made the more unrealistic elements stick out more. Or how the plot felt weirdly unfocused and oddly paced at times, sometimes shifting time and place without a warning. Or my endless frustration with the main character refusing to shoot the bad guy when he has a chance (of which there were many). Or that I found Nina to be a better character in the first half than the second. Or that I found it a bit over the top how people treated the bad guy like some kind of supernatural demon when he was just a very unsettling normal guy.

...But overall, I still very much appreciate it for what it is, which is to say, a really interesting and somewhat difficult to recommend show that doesn't fall into usual anime tropes. It's a shame there's no legal way to watch it, aside from ordering the $120 Australian DVDs and watching them on a region free DVD player.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Urasawa stories tend to be like that, where they seem to be relatively grounded except for the crazy conspiracy stuff that happens, and then suddenly the world is ending. This is why I like Pluto, since it centers around robots (well it also doesn’t fall into bloat like his other stories)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I watched episodes 1-29 of Utena in the summer then at some point just stopped. I should probably start again, huh.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

ok so here's all the anime i think i watched in 2017 that arent from 2017. i dont keep very good records on this so i may miss some. bold means i think theyre very good

piano no mori - piano in a forest, with chopin

dookyusei - pretty gay

Haikyuu!!: Karasuno Koukou VS Shiratorizawa Gakuen Koukou im not bolding this because while haikyuu is a cool show in general but looking back a year later i think the narrow focus on just one match makes this season kinda lame compared to its forerunners. just not as much room for character development unless you're tall and wear glasses

shuumatsu no izetta - pretty gay

shelter - i literally have zero recollection of watching this film

final fantasy legend of the crystals - this is an incredibly bad movie with no catboys

natsume yuujinchou san (san means 3) - ive read the episode synopses to remind myself of what happened in this season, and boy did it have some powerful stuff. 4/30 "Young Days" is an incredibly heartwarming episode where we meet one of the yokai who used to mess with natsume, but now misses him. 6/32 "That Which Is Not Human" and 7/33 "Exorcist" are a two-parter where natsume meets cute evil guy matoba, an exorcist who is as ruthless as he is sexy. 13/39 "Natsume's Book of Play" ends the season with a fun romp through the meadows, as natsume teaches his yokai friend games that he never got to play as a child (think tag, hide and seek, etc). these arent the only good episodes, the whole season really is a powerhouse, but they're my favorites.

Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - in the last like 3 years it feels like theres been more than sixty eight isekai LNs adapted to animes so i think a lot of folks hate the genre on principle, but this one was actually very good. the protagonist, subaru (not that one) isnt this boring blank slate generic anime guy. he actually changes as a character, starting out craven and useless, and becoming someone that others can rely on. but what's really cool is that alongside this growth there is also deterioration. whenever subaru dies, he is "reset" to some earlier point in time with his memories intact. since his various deaths are quite brutal, these memories disturb him and damage his mental state. working through this damage and healing himself becomes part of his character development story, and leads to some emotionally powerful scenes.

Urusei Yatsura Movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer - this was a pretty trippy movie. i guess christopher nolan kinda copied it when he made inception? its all very unclear

zetsuen no tempest - i don't feel like i have a ton i can say about this anime, but i really enjoyed it. it does some interesting things with time/space separation between characters. i know this statement is going to bother some people but here goes: the main reason you should watch this anime is that its just a ton of fun to watch. its not smart, its not insightful into human nature or whatever, but when you watch it you really want to see what happens to the characters, and what they're going to do next.

fune wo amu - an anime about dictionaries! its good!

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu - some folks say that this is the best FMP season. those people are crazy. its definitely funny, dont get me wrong, but in season 1 the humorous, antics-y, sol parts of the show serve to let you relax after the tense and emotional serious parts, and without having that serious side fumoffu kinda feels pointless

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid - Wari to Hima na Sentaichou no Ichinichi - so after getting their feet wet with fumoffu this is kyoani letting out the clutch and going full gas.... or is it??? i think they didn't bring their A-game to this one. the villain is just not very good. he's dumb, you feel like he's trying to be funny but he's not. the worst part for me is that he sometimes does and says things that are gross or predatory, and i think instead of having the intended effect of making me dislike him, it makes me just not want to watch. second raid introduces and teases the villain who will take center stage in s4, and i feel like it really would have been better to skip this guy and go straight to him. that being said, the other antagonists are interesting, and so the parts where the main villain isn't on screen are actually quite good. i feel it never quite reaches the heights of season 1, but i'm hopeful for season 4 "invisible victory" being good.

mobile suit gundam movies 1, 2, 3 - i dont think theres anything i can say about this old rear end anime that hasnt already been said by someone else so im just going to post a picture droyer showed me

initial loving d first stage, second stage, third stage, extra stage, fourth stage, extra stage 2, fifth stage, final stage - eurobeat cars drifting characters eurobeat interpersonal relationships downhill racing eurobeat uphill racing father-son rivalry engine upgrade fujiwara zone heel and toe eurobeat loving watch this anime. this is one of the coolest anime i have ever seen , probably one of the coolest anime in the history of anime. but the first season can be a little slow so if you're looking for a sampler you might want to try the movie remakes of the first season (i've never seen these). this is a classic sports anime. the protagonist, takumi fujiwara, who starts out as a clueless, uninterested, idiot savant. over the course of the show he grows a passion for racing; he experiences love, jealousy, heartbreak, and new love; and he gains a determination to become the best at his sport.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu season 1 - season 2 of this anime aired in 2017 but season 1 aired in 2016. this show has a lot of people going to bat for it already so i dont think its necessary for me to say a lot. its good, you should watch it, if you dont watch it youre bad.

senyuu season 2 - silly little short show following the antics of some plucky heroes on a quest to save the world. its funny and each episode is only 5 minutes including credits so you can watch it when you dont have time for anything else

clannad after story - you know i wanted to like this. and parts of it, i really did like. but the first season is just so much better. this has a dumb arc involving the baseball club (or was it soccer club, i dont remember), and its got dumb magic miracle stuff that feels cheap. really its not jun maeda at his finest. you should just watch angel beats and kanon 2006 and first season clannad, those are all better shows.

nitaboh - so this dude is blind and he plays a ukelele or something. its ok i guess

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai (shortened to "anohana") - imagine you have some friends, but you all havent really kept in touch, your whole circle has fallen apart and gone separate ways. imagine that you also have a ghost friend. you want to repair your relationship with your living friends, and also demonstrate to them that ghost friend exists. think about what you might do to demonstrate the ghost friend's existence. think about how you, a reasonably intelligent person with some capacity to interact with other reasonably intelligent people, would go about repairing your relationship with some old friends. now imagine an anime where none of that happens. thats this anime

relife - cool anime about a guy going back to school to try to repair his life. im excited for season 2

Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru - this anime is fabulous. its a work of art. at times its cute and funny, and at other times its poignant and sad. kashuu kiyomitsu is my boyfriend

perfect blue - one of satoshi k-on's movies. very surreal, you dont know whats real and whats fake. it has excellent editing, as expected of k-on. you should watch it

kuchuu buranko (aka trapeze) - fun little anime about various people's mental illnesses and how they deal with them. yes i know fun and mental illness dont sound like they go together but i promise its in good taste

natsume yuujinchou shi (shi means 4) - ok im running out of steam to write lots of words about animes i like but drat is this good. episodes 1/40 "Natsume Captured" and 2/41 "The Eastern Forest" involve previously mentioned cute evil guy matoba. 6/45 "Other Side of the Glass" and 7/46 "The Gap Between Humans and Youkai" develop natsume's relationship with his best friend (some say love interest) tanuma.

shounen maid - this anime and i very nearly did the whole ships in dark foggy water thing but thankfully my buddy knorth pointed me at it. its cute, funny, and filled with lovely characters who have interesting relationships with each other.

mobile suit zeta gundam - this is much better than original gundam. lieutenant quattro bajeena and his band of misfits face off against a brutal paramilitary force called the teen titans. i forget the protagonist's name but he starts out as this kinda goofy idiot character that everyone makes fun of because his name sounds like a girl, and grows up to be a badass. but then some bad poo poo happens towards the end, its all very :smith: psycho mantis gundam is really cool, i forget if that was a returning robot from the first show. uh and amuro shows up but hes kinda lame but he gets better. the moral of the story is that space makes you crazy. oh also whats her face is a loving traitor and i cant believe she would turncoat like that

junkers come here - this movie sucks

ginga tetsudou 999 - i like this movie. its got a dude who hates robots trying to become a robot so he can kill robots and along the way he visits a whole bunch of planets where you observe how robots have directly or indirectly caused bad poo poo to happen. i guess its all an allegory for how automation is destroying jobs and stuff. also we meet captain john titor, who is from another show by the same director.

Fuse: Teppou Musume no Torimonochou - please don't watch this movie

wow that ended up being a lot of words. thanks for reading, happy new year, god bless

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
When are you gonna friggin watch Anthem of the Heart

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

oh right, i need to watch fuse

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

When are you gonna friggin watch Anthem of the Heart

do you want me to put it on the 2018 compulsory list

dogsicle posted:

oh right, i need to watch fuse

no please dont. its honestly bad. like even people other than me think its bad. your time is better spent watching good animes.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I’m not gonna be greedy here

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
nooooo vos, you're not supposed to like matoba, he's bad!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

VostokProgram posted:

shelter - i literally have zero recollection of watching this film

That's because it's an anime music video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzQ6gRAEoy0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I hate this idea that Utena and Eva are somehow the same because they came out roughly the same time.

Evas story is just cryptic, the details are omitted from the audience, but it's quite literal, and makes perfect sense with exactly what is shown on screen.

Utena is the opposite, the symbolism IS the show. Swords, characters, buildings, etc, all represent ideals or beliefs, the show makes zero sense when taken literally.

• Locked thread