Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Ok so A, C, and it doesn't matter for the third one, I can do a thing from the front or back.

Gotta check in with Pod because I maxed a stat but didn't see a difference from when I last checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Ok got it figured out!

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

TMMadman posted:

Who is talking about dayvigs? Are you reading the game?

Dayvig is one of Bif's questions.

I think it's generally a good idea to look at the other thread, mostly because once we have some flips we can start to piece together who in the other thread is most likely on our team.

Unfortunately we shouldn't share those suspicions, because it could direct the Texans towards our allies. Still, it might help individuals choose their targets.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

TMMadman posted:

Yeah, but gamer said 'are we four pages in and talking about dayvigs', so clearly he is asking why we are talking about dayvigs, but nobody in this thread has asked about dayvigs afaik.

My guess is he's reading the other thread and got confused?

It's only a soft scumtell if he's more interested in Bif's posting than KB's, since she would be his boss if he's scum.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah, I'm trying to hang back a bit at first so I don't overwhelm the thread with my usual posting.

But I'm down with theft. And I'm fine with some of the information being asked for as a starting point, with some editing. I'll need that at a minimum to make good choices.

1. Do you want to be in battle tonight?
A - YESSSSSSS
B - Yes
C - No
D - NO!!!

2. Okay, that's your N1 choice, but is that like, your overall position, or just a tactical choice for right now?
A - Please continue to keep me (on/off) the battlefield at all times if possible (unless I'm just about to die and need to heal up, obviously)
B - I'd really prefer to stay (on/off) the battlefield overall, yeah - but this might change if say, I'm out of Shine, or maybe I could still do something cool in the other position every once in a while.
C - That's my choice right now I may change my mind later.

3. Regardless of what you answered above, assuming you end up in battle eventually.... front row or back row?
A. Front
B. Back

Once we all (or enough of us) have replied to this, please remind me that I have a comment on it, particularly the third part.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

peramene posted:

but if i were a betting bitch

and i am

reading the other thread demonstrates a lack of focus

Bif has to coordinate with her scumbros on who to pick for their NK, as well as what to do if KB puts scum in the battle.

Also, whoever gets put into the battle has to pick who to target. How do you do that without knowing potential abilities/claims on the other team?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

This is a bad and weird post

Nah

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Since the question has been broached:

For attackers, even ranged, you can hit the enemy back row from the front row. There may be players who can do positive/investigative things from the back row only, but in the rules it explicitly states that ranged SCUM can only attack the row directly in front of them.

So, why prefer the back row if you're town?

Also, while it doesn't really matter where I go, front lines is probably best for me.

That being said, there's nothing implicitly townie about preferring the front row, as melee scum will probably want to damage the front rank as much as possible due to both ranged and melee Texans hitting the front row. A melee scum in the back row will probably deal nasty damage, but it's much less likely to result in a kill.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Slaan posted:

Healing, giving front row armor/shields, giving damage boosts, etc could all be useful back row roles

And scum with melee skills can almost certainly hit their own row and/or back row. Not being able to would be silly

Melee scum can only attack their own row. Ranged scum can only attack the row directly in front of them.

It's in the rules.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Gamerofthegame posted:

trap sprung!!

##vote slaan

for actual detective work tho

I feel like tobbs is doing this weird kind of disinformation thing, like

all feel like less then genuine observations to feel pro-town in the beginning

ps there's like a whole 24 hours or something usually to skim the thread for sick ability tells if need be there isn't much of a reason to read the hill billies now

I'll admit the second quote is dumb since a re-re-read of the rules indicates Bif can talk OOT with scum in our thread (and KB can do the same with our brave men and women behind enemy lines).

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Your Personal Muse posted:

There’s a lot of words in this thread. Of those, I didn’t like Max’s for insinuating I wasn’t going to try to fight or play for whatever weird reason.

Is your only opinion aimed at...a mod?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Also thread is only 5 pages. "This is too much to read." is a bit inappropriate at this point and rings false.

##vote YPM

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Max Peck posted:

We haven't had a battle yet, so this is pretty much a normal day 1. Please feel free to join in!

Here's what Max Peck said.

There’s a lot of words in this thread. Of those, I didn’t like Max’s for insinuating I wasn’t going to try to fight or play for whatever weird reason.

This is what stands out to you as the scummiest? Unless you read it with a lot of insinuated spite, it looks friendly.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
And not to beat a dead horse, but if you skimmed the thread and read KB's post, or any of the replies to it, you might have been inclined to reply.

Why gripe about an innocuous statement and ignore probably the most important thing any town player should be doing?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

I did reply to KBs post. In the very post that Max quoted.

I missed that, it is too late for my brain.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
##unvote I still think you're reading into the Max Peck thing a bit too much but I need to sleep on this.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

chaoslord posted:

That does remind me though

Tobbs what was with this post? You didn’t answer earlier

Just trying to mix things up. Our thread was a bit quiet so I responded to peramene in our thread.

PMush Perfect posted:

quick question what the gently caress does this mean

That was me missing that YPM had responded to KB's questions. I'm pretty sure I was seeing things that weren't there and barking up the wrong tree.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

OMGVBFLOL posted:

im gonna undo my jokephase vote

##unvote

I promise to keep the español to a minimum. swears and (hopefully) obvious accent words. i’ve been having fun with it since I don’t get to use my spanish in daily life much. if i’m still overdoing it feel free to say so

was this comment covered in the kash/genex debate about placements, or thisnpost of yours:

or was it something else you had to say?

No, that was it. I didn't read any of the other Soldiers games but it keeps coming up that scum liked being in the back ranks. Yeah, scum with powerful ranged abilities get screwed in the front row, but there's something Pod said that gives me pause:

"P.S. Many thanks to Ecco and Asiina for their excellent modding and documentation of The Conquest of Qal, a fantastic soldiers game that heavily inspired this one from rules writeup to many moving parts on the backend. (Metagamers beware - assumptions based on that game are likely to bamboozle you in the end!)"

If scum wanting to be in the back was a major takeaway from that game (which seems to be the consensus) then Pod has almost certainly made town roles that really want to be in the back ranks.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

No, that was it. I didn't read any of the other Soldiers games but it keeps coming up that scum liked being in the back ranks. Yeah, scum with powerful ranged abilities get screwed in the front row, but there's something Pod said that gives me pause:

"P.S. Many thanks to Ecco and Asiina for their excellent modding and documentation of The Conquest of Qal, a fantastic soldiers game that heavily inspired this one from rules writeup to many moving parts on the backend. (Metagamers beware - assumptions based on that game are likely to bamboozle you in the end!)"

If scum wanting to be in the back was a major takeaway from that game (which seems to be the consensus) then Pod has almost certainly made town roles that really want to be in the back ranks.

By the same logic, we also probably want to stay away from thinking players are more townie for wanting to be in the front row.

Pod does his best to screw with people trying to metagame, so if we treat this as a regular mafia game with a cool battle mechanic we're probably going to do well.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

CCKeane posted:

What is your purpose in posting this?

I was replying to a post where someone directly asked me to address my earlier statement, as well as clarifying my thoughts on it. Essentially I agree with Kashuno (and GeneX's new position) that rank choice is alignment-neutral.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

GeneX posted:

So are you saying your opinion on row-stuff changed, or was your comment always going to be "it says nothing about people's alignments"?

It's changed. Initially I saw that ranged scum could ONLY attack the row in front of them, and that coupled with the fact that ranged town will still hit Texans from the front row made it seem like those preferring the back ranks might deserve extra scrutiny.

However, since that was a major metagaming takeaway from the previous soldiers games AND Podima specifically says that metagaming takeaways from previous soldiers games have been neutralized, my initial conclusion drawn from the rules was erroneous. Also, as others have said, there may be players with abilities that target the row in front of them in a positive way. Not having anything like that myself, though, makes that nothing more than speculation.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

Also please STOP TRYING TO SETUP SPEC ON DAY 1

Kashuno posted:

##vote Tobbs fuckre

Also, players were confused about which melee/ranged abilities were able to target which ranks, depending on when they were scum or town. It's stated explicitly in the rules, but I've read through them 3-4 times and didn't pick everything up on the first or even second read-through.

Yeah, it doesn't mean a whole lot right now, but supposedly we are getting battle results and I think it's a good idea for everyone to have a decent understanding of the game mechanics, as it will help individuals determine the results of their own actions.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
For KB:

I know this wasn't part of the questions, but I don't feel like it's a bad thing to share as it will help with strategy, especially if you decide to start invading Texas and want to min-max your setup.

The role that fits me best is [TANK]. I don't hit very hard, but I can take more punishment than most and stay standing.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Monathin posted:

Kid waves to a comrade in arms, wants them to check over his work, see if he's missing anything. Better to have a second pair of eyes on it.

A couple things I picked up were that it was essentially a jokevote but stayed on Kash even when he had 4 votes on him.

The other thing is that I agree with TQ that the interaction between MMT and TMM looks like it could be fabricated. They both seem to be posting pretty carefully, though, so it's hard to get a solid read. Not having been picked out and tunneled by MMT thus far makes me really uncomfortable, but I'm sure it's coming.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Moatillata posted:

Blood meridian is one of my favorite books, montahin I advise you avoid the jakes after this game

Watching my dog poo poo
Thinking about this drat game
Gene why the spreadsheets?

Also tobbs hello it has been awhile you are seeming p tree rn. Are you feeling it?

I am very very tree and I think you are too Moat.

I get e-mails if someone sends me a PM so if you ever want to drag me into a game let 'er rip and I'll come runnin'.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Moatillata posted:

If you're not in your weird murder cabin or abroad in Europe drinking from tiny cups

The cups were in Belgium and not tiny because I always got the 50 cL ones.

I am going to Japan in April.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

This is the kind of thing that is and to reveal because it helps enemy targeting a lot 🙃

I am prepared to die for Glorious Mexico. Maybe it helps them a little (knowing they need to hit me a lot, or possibly avoiding me to hit an easier target) but if you stick your tanks up front, the enemy will have to work pretty hard to bring down more than one. Like I said, it's more important if we are invading Mexico than battling on neutral ground.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

Everything you just said is like the exact problem with people who claim vanilla Town. You are helping scum way more than us

Stop rolefishing.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

GeneX posted:

...what?

Explain. Not the definition of rolefishing, but rather why on earth you think Kashuno is doing it

How is giving a rough idea of combat effectiveness anything like claiming VT?

While it might slightly inform Texas' targeting choices, it also gives support players info, as well as making it less likely for us to get wiped out.

Yeah, it's my personal opinion/decision to share it, but general info (ranged support, ranged damage dealing, melee damage dealing) gives great information for battle planning without giving much more information to the other thread than they already have from our rank preferences.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

GeneX posted:

but, like, that's not rolefishing

Kashuno was asking you to NOT give out role info, not fishing for info

I think I need a nap

I didn't give out role info. I didn't give any hint whatsoever as to whether I was a pawn, knight, bishop, or queen.

Coming out and saying, "Oh look Tobbs is basically claiming VT" is asking for that info, which I'm not sharing.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

Tobbs this is a weird reach even for you. I’m saying the tank claim is similar to a BT claim because of the following:

“I can take a beating but not do much damage” is similar to a VT claim, in that you have given the opposing team a lot of information without helping Town much. It tells their team to either ignore you and spread their attacks elsewhere, OR to bang you down in a massive attack. It ALSO tells the scum team in our thread information about who not to target with their abilities because you outright stated you are low damage and therefore unlikely to assist much in terms of killing the other side. You gave both the other thread and the scum team far more information than you have given Town, and furthermore painted yourself in a way that the other team could ignore you in combat

Not good for Town, very good for not Town. You are therefore not town

Basically all of this is wrong. I can't decide if you're being myopic on purpose, because you're scum, or if you just don't care enough to think about the words you're typing.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm honestly kind of retroactively embarrassed by how angry I got (both at you and in general) last time we played. It was lovely of me and I sincerely apologize :ohdear: :eng99:

But no, right now I find the momentum on you to be far more suspicious than anything you've said.

No worries! I actually have no specific memories of it just a sort of general anxiety that I can't attribute to anything specific.

People seem to universally disagree with me, so momentum on me doesn't seem suspicious. I honestly don't think giving a vague, generalized idea of my combat effectiveness is such a huge error.

TBH it's just been a tiny conundrum of where I'd best be placed, since there were only two options of where I should be placed (front or back) and I'm effective in both ranks. Thinking about it a bit more, it seemed appropriate to share that I have pretty good survivability, but relatively low damage-dealing potential.

I have zero idea what other players' abilities look like, apart from the example in the OP (appendix?). You guys can fall over yourselves screaming about how much that helps the Texans, but I don't see it that way.

1. If there's a damage buffer on our team, I'm not a great target.
2. If there's a healer, I might not need a heal in battle to help me survive.

It's really only a tiny bit more information than could be inferred from rank preference. If someone is ready to go into battle on the front lines, you'd expect them to be up there without dropping like flies. I also said it's more important info if we're invading Texas, as that's a numbers game. Unless I'm mistaken, there's no bonus or penalty for winning a battle on neutral ground.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

I AM THE MAFIA DAD THAT SOMETHING AWFUL NEEDS

On a positive note our thread is a lot slower than the Texans, indicating they're a bunch of losers spending (more of) their NYE arguing about a game on an internet forum.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Kash has more than twice as many posts as the next postiest poster. Yeah he's been very belligerent towards me in previous games and flipped scum, but he also seems to genuinely believe I'm acting like an idiot.

It's very easy to go after people who are posting the most, because they give you the most material to pick apart. They also tend to flip town.

We are almost 1 day out from deadline and need to find something. Fortunately we have KB as confirmed town, which is a huge asset. No lynching is absolutely not an option, and I'd wager he will force our hand if he needs to (which isn't bad since he's usually right).

In the meantime I'm going to try and look over some of the other cases that have been made as I don't like Kash or myself for lynch.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

50 pounds of bread posted:

Trust the bread, it knows things. It acts with spontaneity, wisdom, and exists in a state unlike any other.

If I choose to vote you, there will be a real case, if I choose not to, I will come to your aid.

Big talk, let's see how it plays out.

Yes, because I am frankly quite scummy if you read my post history.

Very self-conscious, but also true.

This is basically where I'm at. He gave me the scummy response, but for some reason I'm not digging.

^This is with regard to Kash.

## vote kash

This is probably the best thing for me to do today.

And where's the case? There's a tiny bit of interest in Kash as a lynch target per MMT, but this drive-by vote easily falsifies his earlier statement about not voting without making a case.

##vote bread

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Murmur Twin posted:

Kashuno famously got to 1000 posts as scum in the last Soldiers game I played with him (it's the scum game I linked earlier).

Just checking - I pointed out a specific logical leap that Kash made in his case, what is your opinion of that specifically?

I also have trouble seeing scum Kash walk away from a Tobbs vote when:

1. I'm the vote leader.
2. KB largely agrees with his assessment of my decision to share info.

As for his logical leap, he thinks that the info I shared would be a good scum move in that stating I'm hard to kill is a good way to get Texans to avoid hitting me so that I can sabotage our side and not have them waste damage on a scumbro. Also, he thinks that even if I'm town, having players skip over me is a bad play because they might hit power roles.

He's wrong on all accounts, especially in his thinking that sharing very, very basic combat effectiveness somehow means I'm claiming the Soldiers equivalent of VT. I may or may not be "VT", the only thing I feel like sharing is that the information I've provided is neither a hard nor soft claim of having or not having any useful abilities or roles. The only way I'll give up that info is if I'm on the block.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Murmur Twin posted:

Like it's kind of driving me crazy that people aren't talking about the actual point I'm trying to make and I'm trying really hard not to be a dick about it so one more time:

The bolded part I posted is not a genuine thought process. "It ALSO tells the scum team in our thread information.." is not a thing town ever thinks.

Nothing else - not post count, not meta reads, not # of scum reads or whatever - changes that fact.

His point is that he sees ONLY anti-town motivations for sharing info. If I'm town, sharing it helps scum in our thread, invalidating the possibility that I'm town. I think I addressed the rest in my last post.

Kash is drawing a LOT of false conclusions from what I shared, but that's simply because he can't see my character sheet, or he's making assumptions about my character sheet that are based on his own.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

'why is letting my enemy know my abilities bad' - a thing people are actually arguing in this game

You know zero of my abilities Kash.

As for PMush, I understand KB wanting to keep info limited, and going against that directly rubs me the wrong way.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

PMush Perfect posted:

okay lol that was the best possible time to simulpost

I don't even know what my votecount is (still on mobile), but this is a 25 player game, still a day away from deadline. Why would I fake claim to save myself NOW?

I'm going to keep an eye on the thread as best I can for now, but I'm even happier with my vote than I was like a minute ago.

Are you aware that the person making battle decisions explicitly asked that you not do what you just did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Quidthulhu posted:

PMush is a she. I also think that her outing that role is probably not the best idea but again, why would she do that as scum.

Honestly? I'm sure a lot of players have a cool ability or two. It could be an attempt to get other similarly excited players to divulge info, despite KB's explicit instructions to not do that.

Maybe it's an honest mistake, but it's very hard for me to believe that. Every townie should be reading KB's posts. In PMush's defense she did say that she wasn't reading the whole thread. That's not a great defense, though.

• Locked thread