Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Hello I don't want to give up too much information but I can move up more spaces on my first move and capture diagonally. OR CAN I?

KB is a little suspect right now imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah, I'm trying to hang back a bit at first so I don't overwhelm the thread with my usual posting.

But I'm down with theft. And I'm fine with some of the information being asked for as a starting point, with some editing. I'll need that at a minimum to make good choices.

1. Do you want to be in battle tonight?
A - YESSSSSSS
B - Yes
C - No
D - NO!!!

2. Okay, that's your N1 choice, but is that like, your overall position, or just a tactical choice for right now?
A - Please continue to keep me (on/off) the battlefield at all times if possible (unless I'm just about to die and need to heal up, obviously)
B - I'd really prefer to stay (on/off) the battlefield overall, yeah - but this might change if say, I'm out of Shine, or maybe I could still do something cool in the other position every once in a while.
C - That's my choice right now I may change my mind later.

3. Regardless of what you answered above, assuming you end up in battle eventually.... front row or back row?
A. Front
B. Back

1 yeeeeees
2. A
3. A.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Speculation over scum abilities is worse than useless right now and I think we should all agree that scum can do very bad things and call it at that.

Kash's response to the spec. Is good. Gene's posts aren't inherently scummy but good googly moogly stop throwing words out on a topic scum know way more about and can easy misdirect town on.

YPM's post on Tobbs is good. I'm inclined to agree.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I have a feeling with the deadline not being til the 2nd, there’s probably a lot of folks sincerely putting off paying serious attention until after new years’

which, sincere though they may be, would make great cover for lurking scum

This is pretty much me, cheers.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Hal Incandenza posted:

You are the most glorious of leaders.

To answer your earlier question...

A
B
A/B

Sucking up is p. scummy imo.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

No, that was it. I didn't read any of the other Soldiers games but it keeps coming up that scum liked being in the back ranks. Yeah, scum with powerful ranged abilities get screwed in the front row, but there's something Pod said that gives me pause:

"P.S. Many thanks to Ecco and Asiina for their excellent modding and documentation of The Conquest of Qal, a fantastic soldiers game that heavily inspired this one from rules writeup to many moving parts on the backend. (Metagamers beware - assumptions based on that game are likely to bamboozle you in the end!)"

If scum wanting to be in the back was a major takeaway from that game (which seems to be the consensus) then Pod has almost certainly made town roles that really want to be in the back ranks.

What is your purpose in posting this?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I was replying to a post where someone directly asked me to address my earlier statement, as well as clarifying my thoughts on it. Essentially I agree with Kashuno (and GeneX's new position) that rank choice is alignment-neutral.

That's a lot of words to throw at the topic.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I'm going to day kill the next person to engage in in this asinine front row back row conversation. It is dead let's all pretend it never happened.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Max Peck posted:

Page 6:

Also page 6:

I mean, KB's still not wrong, but that's some serious shade, Texas thread.

But you were complaining about my initial callout, before you'd come up with any content. I am glad you've started interacting with people; the next step would be to do something beyond just attacking people who call you out.

I'll admit I've been giving a bit of a pass to people who are completely not here (vs. people who are here but not producing content) due to the holidays, but with a little under 2.5 days stretching over New Year's to go it's maybe time to change course on that.

Also, pi over 6 radians.

Hi! I'm currently having a row with people actively lurking with posts like "Day 1 is always so fun and exciting", would you care to join? A couple more people and I think I can get it upgraded to a flaming row!

Is this a gut feeling, or a read, or ?

Yeah, agreed at this point. It's a little interesting, because people's assumptions when speculating are probably colored by their own abilities, but it's not going to get anywhere yet.

This is a really good joke.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Alright, so I looked about and I also think TMM is pretty suspect. The vote on Kash feels like a self conscious "lol I'm voting Kahs" and the subsequent topics of conversation he engaged in are banal.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Kash's response to fiddy is weirdly defensive.

That said, I don't think Kash is scum right now.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Murmur Twin posted:

Like it's kind of driving me crazy that people aren't talking about the actual point I'm trying to make and I'm trying really hard not to be a dick about it so one more time:

The bolded part I posted is not a genuine thought process. "It ALSO tells the scum team in our thread information.." is not a thing town ever thinks.

Nothing else - not post count, not meta reads, not # of scum reads or whatever - changes that fact.

Nah, I think you're off base on this.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Yo fiddy why'd you change your mind on Kash?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Isn't a bit pedantic to argue the semantics of saying "Bread is town" versus "I think Bread is town"?

Nah, that's literally the game. Sussing out differences in terminology is useful for overall lie detection, and it is one of the techniques used by actual investigators.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

MMT: Gamer feels fine before I do a big read through. That big read through isn't happening tonight, because of who I am as a person (lazy).

TMM is really pinging me bad again.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm fine waiting until said big read-through / casework (mainly because I was supposed to go to bed hours ago :sadpeanut: ) but as it is right now I have a gut scum read on Keane.

Still mad that we got Stanton, I see.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

GeneX posted:

Insomnia is a pain.

Top 3 scumreads are currently Slaan, Hats, and Keane

Slaan, because he a) had an incomprehensible vote on Kashuno for metagaming when Kashuno was doing the opposite, b) in his immediate next post implicitly asked for mechanics spec, c) completely ignored Truth Quark questioning that vote, d) reversed course on how he mechanically justifies tobbs' claim by now making it about many people claiming, e) hedged on his support for tobbs, and f) immediately tried to justify away another claim, this time by invoking wine, "gaining information", and asking this: "Question: What scenario can you guys think up where knowing this ability hurts us and helps scum?" which is literally asking town to help scum out

In sum: encouraging/supporting claiming, voting with bad reasoning, and hedging on everything but mechanics chat

Hats, because he a) posted about the importance of battle strategy then ignored the topic himself, b) asked KB early on D1 for info scum wants more than town, c) made a really bad, empty, and tautological post on tobbs, Kashuno, and slaan, and d) hedged on voting PMush by giving himself an out on both sides

In sum: encouraging mechanics chat without actually engaging at all, posting this, and hedging on PMush

Keane, because he's acting exactly like he did in christmas mafia where he tosses out reads with minimal or no explanation.

I'm additionally feeling iffy about Gamer, who started out awful and seems to alternate between posts I like and posts I hate, TMM, who's been extremely content light despite having over 30 posts in the thread, and PMush, who has some real bad posts, though I can't quite see why scum would jump in and claim to be a priority target for the other thread in their one big intro post

Oh and before I go back to bed: given that Slaan is my strongest scumread, ##vote Slaan.

It's pretty wild that you're bringing me up now that two people have mentioned me.

I'll be at work today, so lazy people can accuse me of lurking for the next ten hours.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Read gamer. I think gamer is overly focused on Tobbs's weirdness with the claim, but I don't think Gamer looks scummier than many other players. I don't see Gamer.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

TMMadman posted:

I think my three scum picks right now would be gamer/PMush and then maybe either Hats or AA.

However, I will say that I'm a little worried because there are a lot of people reporting the same list and I'm a little worried it's scum jumping at the chance to use two townies for cover. I'm not sure that's enough to stop me from voting one of them, but it does make me want to stay cautious.

And on that note, I have to say that I like that GeneX came up with a list that doesn't involve the most named suspects today and I also pretty much agree with his list as all three of the people he named are suspicious to me.

This is a bad post and is preparing for a juke/being wrong.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I'm not going to play the quote game because I'm on my phone (give me a couple of hours to get home) but TMM strongly feels like he's putting out feelers and then strengthening his stance once others are agreeing.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

TMMadman posted:

This is particularly funny since you literally said you don't see Gamer as scum one post above.

Do you not find the amount of people who now seem to be pointing at Gamer and PMush suspicious? If you don't think Gamer is scum, then surely you must think that some of them are scummy as well, right? Can you tell me who you think those people are?

You're wrong about me, but I can see why you'd think I'm suspicious. But what I'd really like to know is who else you think is scum because as far as I can tell the only person you think is scum is me, but you have made several town calls.

I am not going to do as TMM requested until more people look at him. Additionally, I will point out that TMM has, in the course of this single post, dismissed my points as foolish and concludes with them being valid.

Come on now.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Max Peck posted:

We have about 7 hours left to get a dunk together. Is this really the right time to withhold your scum reads?

I don't know buddy, you could take a look at TMM and move things along, be the change.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

TMMadman posted:

Ahh yes, being dismissive of a person who you think is scum because they are asking you who else you think is scum. A truly good look for you

Seriously Keane, who else do you think is scum because I've gone through your post history and I'm the only person you've called scum in this game.

Kind of surprising that you only have one scum read and then refuse to offer up anymore just because that one scum read asked you for more.

So are you writing this because you think I'm scum, or because you think I'm town? Because your engagement with somebody you ostensibly think is scum is pretty whacky.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Max Peck posted:

We have about 7 hours left to get a dunk together. Is this really the right time to withhold your scum reads?

To be clear: I absolutely am attempting to force TMM to be a focus of conversation and viable execution candidate today, yes.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

King Burgundy posted:

##vote Keane

Wouldn't be a game alongside KB if KB wasn't wrong about my alignment.

TMMadman posted:

I do not know what you are right now, but I have a slight scum lean because as I've said, I've been through your history and I'm the only person you've called scum.

So why is that Keane?

It's a holiday weekend with a lot of words. Nobody has posted about you outside of me and I will continue to bang the dram until this is addressed.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

King Burgundy posted:

To be clear, your leader also asked for your top 3 scum reads and you ignored that, and have continued to float.

You are now using this tiff with TMM to continue to ignore it?

Consider this vote my strongly annoyed opinion on the matter.

Oh, I didn't see your post about the scum reads. Let me revise my statement then.

Yes, I am refusing to comply to force this issue, I have no king, all monarchs are tyrants.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

To be clear here, you can say I'm annoying and that I'm being a jerk, which is fine, but also doesn't address my points on TMM, and me being annoying is largely alignment neutral.

Letting the conversation veer into compliance/non-compliance does not address scumminess/towniess.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

TMMadman posted:

And you are free to do so, just like I will continue to point out that you are still ignoring the request by now multiple people to provide other scum reads.

Again, look at this post: TMM is using compliance as a mark of scumminess/a means of dismissing my case. This isn't a statement on alignment, really.

Now, let's also play the reverse here, since I got the attention of some folks: If I *DID* make a list and give through cases on others, who would grant me the reverse, a through read on TMM?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Post your damned scum picks and I'll read TMM.

Thanks, you're a pal.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

TMM, Slaan, GeneX, Chaos as a maybe.

I'm clear on TMM, Gene's listing of me came after other people mentioned me, and the reasoning is questionable because Gene is using meta to craft an argument, but has not seen my town game until this one. Slaan gave me a gut bounce and I'll find that post in a bit. Chaos lurks while scum, but it's also a holiday weekend so I am less confident that is meaningful. l Al

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Now I remember why I thought Slaan, Slaan talks around the meta/battlefield information a lot, and this is an easy way to disguise content. I don't like it.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

King Burgundy posted:

This isn't actually true. Several people have mentioned being wary of TMM this game.

Where

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Your Personal Muse posted:

Hello CC I would like to ask you about TMM

Shoot.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I *think* I may have played more with 50 than anyone else here and his play is firmly a nullon my meta read, fwiw.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

King Burgundy posted:

I shouldn't have to do your work for you, but here is one very obvious example:

TQ has been banging the drum for TMM off and on all game.

Yeah that's fair.

I'd like it discussed among more of the town than that, though.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

TMMadman posted:

This is my take on it as well. Well, except he hasn't cased me.

I'm having a little trouble with you right now YPM. I know we've only played a few games together, but I remember that we tended to butt heads often. However, I haven't really seen anything from you yet that has pinged me and I find myself thinking your posts have been pretty good. I just don't know if that's a good or a bad thing right now.

The hedge is bad, the meta content is fine. I'm not bother by this post by itself, but the fact that there's another hedge continues the narrative of TMM qualifying and preparing to be wrong while setting himself up for votingif the tide goes that way.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

King Burgundy posted:

I'm going to step away again for a bit and let things play out, but I'd like the final votes to consolidate on Pmush, Gamer, and Slaan if possible.

Those are the three I'm most interested in seeing on the chopping block. Feel free to be on your favorite candidate of those for now rather than what you think is the consensus.

Feel free to push to cuddle at any point though. Don't feel you need to wait up as long as it is one of those three.

I'm submitting my battle line now.

I think my stance is known, but my order here is SLAAN, PMUSH, GAMER.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Murmur Twin posted:

Keane's motivation seems to be "convince other people TMM is scum", not "figure out what TMM's alignment is". I'm reading Keane's post and I literally don't understand what the case is supposed to be (I bolded what I perceive to be Keane's case above) and I definitely don't understand how Keane can make that many posts about TMM without actually giving a convincing argument for why we should vote him. Like most of his posts are telling other people to read TMM instead of just making a case.

Like honestly I just don't believe that Keane sat down, read the thread looking for scum, and then couldn't find anything suspicious about Gamer while deciding that TMM is the scummiest person in the thread. If he gave convincing reasons for either position, maybe? But to me Keane reads like scum who is barely following along and throwing opinions out there just to have opinions.

If I haven't been clear, here's my bug points on TMM:

1.) Hedging most statements
2.) Inconsistency in points on me (see what you highlighted)

Point one is my strongest point and the one I have brought up. I think it's the most notable and strongest case at the moment, though I do think I will have to punt on this one, happy that I stirred up some interest on him at least.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Quidthulhu posted:

Actually I'm reading more and Tobbs does summarize really clearly. I'm just flat out wrong about everything I've posted today, my god.

You fool! By posting that all your posts are wrong, you've locked us in a paradox!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

No worries :)

There's also this:

It really, really looked like PMush hadn't read our thread but had been paying extra attention to Bif's posts in the Texas thread. I think this is a part of why she was on KB's list, and while I didn't emphasize it over other parts, it stands out. Particularly because nobody in our thread had discussed/suggested putting someone at -3 or below.

Yeah this is a fair take on the matter, I think I'm PMush over Slaan.

• Locked thread