Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Juri Yukawa lives with her NEET father and brother, her retired grandfather, her sister (a single mother) and her young nephew. One day, her nephew and brother are kidnapped for ransom. Having only 30 minutes to meet the demands of the kidnappers, Juri, who realizes there is not enough time to prepare the money, decides to head for their rescue by herself with knife in hand when her grandfather uses a mysterious stone passed on in the Yukawa family to stop time.

In a world where everyone and everything are inert, Juri and her father and grandfather run to rescue the two. But at the kidnappers' hideout, they soon realize they are not the only ones who can move about in this still world...

New episodes are released Sunday on Amazon Prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
This show is good.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

part 3 of the kite epos is off to an epic start

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

This show is pretty great. It has an odd feeling of being somewhat amateur in its production but having a distinct spark of inspiration to it. For some reason it feels a bit like something made in the 90's. I'm also not sure yet if I like or dislike how unemotional the characters are for the most part. I love the OP and ED though.

I have a feeling that something crazy could happen at the start of next episode. It's managed to hook me with its second ep.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I love how awkward and bad grandpa's teleports are.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it took me until this episode to notice the shirt reference, its so obvious too

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I like this show but holy poo poo these cliffhangers are infuriating.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Well so far this show is fantastic. More cool grandpas! :woop:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Man this show is so good. I love how it's building the world and it's rules.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Sindai posted:

I love how awkward and bad grandpa's teleports are.

It’s pretty hilarious but makes sense. He’s probably pretty afraid of having his leg end up in the ground so he aims a little high but falls every time as a consequence.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

another great ep. theyre really turning around the power dynamic here. still barely anyone seems to be watching it.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

i started watching it.

its good op.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Sure is convenient that the specters of dead people always choose a plot critical character for their next gig.

Also the big brother secretly rules.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Wooo, go Juri!

I also really like the title card sound that's just a bunch dudes yell-chanting.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Those first three guys Juri pushed into stasis are probably going to be pissing themselves even more when the stasis wears off and they realize just how close they were to becoming stains on the front of that train.

Could that also be a workaround for the no harming of people in stasis rule? You can't directly kill or harm them, but you can put them in the path of certain death upon release of the stasis.

Anyway, at least they didn't have someone about to kill Juri as the end of an episode for the 4th time in a row, that was getting old.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
While I like the story, the family being shown to just clumsily try to deal with whatever come their way in a realistic manner, and the antagonist being just as clumsy in their attempts to get the mysterious stone, I can help but feel a bit skeezy with the weird fanservicey bits? Like I think there's been two instances of the daughter being a target for rape, the mysterious female antagonist getting leered at by a flunky, and then there's the ED. I don't know; just seems a bit jarring at times?

VVVV
Yeah, I definitely like they show her as not just an object for male gaze.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 29, 2018

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The Ed is one thing, but the other instances I'm perfectly fine with. Put a bunch of rowdy jackasses in a consequence-free environment and you can bet they're gonna try some poo poo. I'm also glad that Juri eventually snaps after dealing with all the rapey talk from those dudes and fights back.

That said, idk what was up with that leader dude starring at the big titties in the supermarket. That seemed kinda unnecessary.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This show is doing juuust enough to keep me interested, I guess I'm in.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

HenryEx posted:

Sure is convenient that the specters of dead people always choose a plot critical character for their next gig.

Also the big brother secretly rules.

I don't think that it's a coincidence that, in a show where they stress that this family has special powers related to the magic stone and stopping time, that every time someone dies, the time squid merges with someone from that family.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Thanks to dogsicle's new av I saw that Umetsu did character designs for a new series. So far it seems like the show is good enough to override the scummy parts.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I like that it's this weird sleeper gem, and that the manga ended years ago but nobody ever translated it (far anyway) so I can't even be tempted to spoil myself.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

not to try and break your resolve, but Kodansha has been publishing it in English since the anime was announced late last year. if the anime is good i'll probably look into a digital bundle once it ends.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

This show's ED pop ballad has been infectiously stuck in my head for days aaaarrrgh

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

This show is doing juuust enough to keep me interested, I guess I'm in.

That scene made my brain hurt because it made me question how metabolism works in stasis.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Liver Disaster posted:

Thanks to dogsicle's new av I saw that Umetsu did character designs for a new series. So far it seems like the show is good enough to override the scummy parts.
Character designs is all he's doing.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Character designs is all he's doing.

That's what I typed yeah, glad we're on the same page.
I preferred his designs in Wizard Barristers, shame about the rest of the series.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Series so far is actually pretty good. Keeping me in for the mystery of what the gently caress is going on, granpa and grandaughter being badasses, and more crushed heads

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

That scene made my brain hurt because it made me question how metabolism works in stasis.

Well according to this show so far, your body and anything you touch can move in stasis, except the bottom of your feet. There is also the millisecond lag time of after you stop touching something for the object to adjust back to being frozen.

The non-explanation/consistency of this is part of what had me waffling on whether or not to continue watching.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

In summary, *fresh piss floats in midair*

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Look, this is just one of those shows where if it ain't important to the story, it ain't important to explain. So unless someone starts having stasis-induced indigestion, I won't question it except if it's amusing to do so.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
If it were literal, you wouldn't be able to see anything because photons wouldn't be moving either. I don't think the physics of it need to be analyzed very deeply :)

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Another great episode. I honestly have no idea what could happen in the future, which is a good sign. The dad is such a loser, but it was good to see the brother show a little spine at last.

I also liked the fake out with the guy promising to help the woman and seeming so confident only to be instantly taken out by Juri.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

theyre killing of so many peeps!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The OP is crazy and I love it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yea the OP of this is on the very short list of anime openings, or hell, TV series openings in general, that i've watched multiple times. Most, i don't even watch once all the way through and just skip them 15 seconds in.

Like, the list is so short i can count them on one hand.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Yea the OP of this is on the very short list of anime openings, or hell, TV series openings in general, that i've watched multiple times. Most, i don't even watch once all the way through and just skip them 15 seconds in.

Like, the list is so short i can count them on one hand.

This is also me.

That's actually a lot of shows this season. Colors, PTE, this, After the Rain, and Killing Bites all olhave fantastic OPs.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Um was there at least one episode so far that didn't end with one of the protagonist family seemingly killed or in mortal danger? Because its getting a bit silly :v:

At least it was not Juri this time.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

lmao

ok, NOW I'm all aboard this crazy train choo chooo

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
I like it.

I'm really glad they're having fun with the premise. They're exploring certain aspects of it that might go ignored in a more lighthearted take, too. It's up in the air if all the rapeyness detracts from the overall enjoyment.

Magic Teleporting Grandpa is a treasure and I'll be sad when he bites the dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
No idea why but I'm also a big fan of the interstitial break audio:

at at at at at at AT AT AT AT! AT! AT! AT! AT! AT!

• Locked thread