Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
This is a serious question. I will be using it to fill out job applications, but I will be buying a tablet, plugging it in to it and doing lots of art, that will be its main function so I think I need alot of memory (RAM?) I will not be gaming on it at all.

I'm a total idiot with computers, the little I have done has all been using Word, and I'm locked into my Android phone which I like and use alot.

I'm poor but willing to shell out (within reason) to get the right thing. Simplicity of use is the number one priority.

Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lukewarm Gazpacho
Aug 8, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
P-P-P-Powerbook! I'm pretty sure it has A LOT of memory (RAM)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Laptop or desktop? Do you have any experience building desktops or would you want a premade system?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

You can buy some 250 bucket and ask for a ram upgrade probably

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
go to the computer forum and ask them

or get an HP stream, it costs like 250 and you can word process on it

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I say go to Costco and buy whatever looks good. Or get a refurbished thinkcenter computer at the lenovo outlet

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
You can still have an android phone and use a mac. They aren't really tied to an itunes-like desktop app.

macos is good and I think that imacs are generally good.

windows 10 is fine - I like it. i haven't bought a desktop in a long time so idk what is good. If you like the imac approach go with an all-in-one from lenovo or something.

if you think you'll need a lot of ram don't go below 8gb. ssd s are your friend. worsts to worst you can get an external hdd to store all of your gbs user drawings.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

Spinster posted:

I'm a total idiot with computers

Sounds like you should get a mac tbqh

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

OP since you're familiar with Android, maybe a Chromebook would be good for you.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Alright but if you ask me to carry that goddamn printer again I'm drawing a line

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If you are going to art the wacom bit is more important

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Big Beef City posted:

Alright but if you ask me to carry that goddamn printer again I'm drawing a line

:haw:

Blue Train posted:

If you are going to art the wacom bit is more important

That choice is easier. I'm salivating, can't wait. But I'm going to do MS paint too, never have, somehow those pics are inherently funny.

crabcakes dogg
Aug 8, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't there an entire megathread in the computer toucher forum about this?

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

look into the ipad pro with apple pencil/procreate 4, it's essentially a Cintiq with a functional computer in it and as opposed to wacoms garbage it actually works for more than an hour at a time

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Lol at these clueless answers.

SamDabbers posted:

OP since you're familiar with Android, maybe a Chromebook would be good for you.

This buy a new one because it has the 1 year warranty. They're extremely affordable and it's good for web browsing. Won't be able to have photoshop though, it doesn't use Windows it's a lot like Android.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
weird, my IRL mom asked me for help with her computer earlier this week, and today our internet mom is aksing us for help with her computer stuff

funny how life works

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

i like that posted:

Lol at these clueless answers.

This buy a new one because it has the 1 year warranty. They're extremely affordable and it's good for web browsing. Won't be able to have photoshop though, it doesn't use Windows it's a lot like Android.

quote:

but I will be buying a tablet, plugging it in to it and doing lots of art, that will be its main function

:thunk:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
If it's just 2D art and word-processing you should be fine with any budget desktop. If it's too slow you can always slot in more RAM because RAM is dirt cheap.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
2012-2015 Macbook Pro

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Have you tried linux

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Mordja posted:

If it's just 2D art and word-processing you should be fine with any budget desktop. If it's too slow you can always slot in more RAM because RAM is dirt cheap.

Ram is not dirtcheap. It’s incredibly overpriced atm. Go to the computer nerd part of the forum.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Don't get the wrong RAM, OP.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dubplate Fire posted:

Ram is not dirtcheap. It’s incredibly overpriced atm. Go to the computer nerd part of the forum.
Huh, weird, when did that happen? Last time I looked/bought was back in 2016.

Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

Yea, and I say unto you, bringeth me a machiatto of caramel, with crickets on top.
alienware :cool:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Get an older 2015 refurbished Macbook Pro straight from Apple. Still plenty fast, best build quality, amazing keyboard, and it doesn't have the bad 2016 redesign.

Android phones work fine with a Mac. You can do everything as with a Windows PC.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I'm actually in a similar boat but I need a laptop instead. Help me please

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
How will she do art on a Chromebook? Don't get a Chromebook.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

What ever happened to dedotated wam boy

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Sorry go to pcpartpicker or check the op of the build computer megathread. People jerk off over specs there so they deffo know what's good for art. I'll mail you my decade old wacom for 40 bucks

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Dubplate Fire posted:

You can get an old business class workstation with an i7/Xeon and 24-32 gigs of ecc ddr3 for like $250-300 on ebay

Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

Yea, and I say unto you, bringeth me a machiatto of caramel, with crickets on top.
why not get a surface? i have a buddy in art school that got one but never asked him how he liked it.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Sorry go to pcpartpicker or check the op of the build computer megathread. People jerk off over specs there so they deffo know what's good for art. I'll mail you my decade old wacom for 40 bucks

Seriously? I'll buy you plat and let's do it. I trust you enough to risk 40 bucks.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm sorry Spinny, but asking GBS hardware questions is like asking a homeless schizophrenic what his favorite grifting technique is.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
As in the answers are mostly contradictory but also involve a lot of jacking off.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
There's an entire thread in sh/SC for this question.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Well, I was looking for simple answers, the computer megathreads might as well be Sanskrit. And ya I'm just more confused.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Spinster posted:

Seriously? I'll buy you plat and let's do it. I trust you enough to risk 40 bucks.

Before you do anything I gotta check my closet and make sure it's not in my dad's storage unit

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Check it out, tell them your budget, you don't have to pay rando goon to pick out janktown parts for you. There's a template in the building a PC thread that you use. Answer the questions, someone will give you good advice.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

Check it out, tell them your budget, you don't have to pay rando goon to pick out janktown parts for you. There's a template in the building a PC thread that you use. Answer the questions, someone will give you good advice.

I'll look, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
OP I get asked this question alot and always find it is easier to narrow down a list than to comprise one. Is there a price range you'd like to adhere to? Is there a specific retailer you'd prefer shopping at? Do you have any models in mind currently? Any of this will help narrow it down substantially, as tech guys tend to steer toward their personal bias in lieu of practicality in my experience.

To echo some previously stated sentiments:
- Chromebooks are nice but probably not what you are looking for if you want to run MS Office, Photoshop etc
- Costco has an awesome return policy and their prices are usually very competitive
- OEM pre-built machines are fine these days. In the past it was often cheaper/better to build your own but prices have lowered to the point where this is no longer the case.

• Locked thread