Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Put me in as your #2 replacement behind geneX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Well if merk is here I will just PLAY and not replace

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Hi Max!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Your Personal Muse posted:

It'll fill up when the loser brigade (people who got lynched because they are bad)(Me) starts trickling in from Soldiers

You did your best

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Oh hey this game started! Hello friends does anyone need some sweet designer jeans?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

merk posted:

##vote gulag will literally never try to find scum regardless of alignment.

Man since you left Gulag has become a master scumhunter, get with the times old man

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I'm only really into designer genes.

We can do that

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Nice gambit, friend

I can’t find your gambit this game, what did you do

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Max posted:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

##unvote

I'm trying to follow your logic of thinking Gulag's "case" on Thran being bad for voting YPM was ok for you to follow on to but then YPM voting Thran made you reconsider.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Thanks that cleared that up. Could we add more emotes to make it clear when votes are jokes, thanks!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

flerp posted:

ok ##vote hal :henget:

You're always there for me flerp, don't think I don't appreciate it!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Max posted:

Hal are you secretly / not secretly RPing?

I'm just new to mafia and trying to learn, why do you have to give me a hard time. This community is so unforgiving

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I looked it up.

This thread is now about trying to convince me to pick up the game for the switch.

Go!

It's fun, a big thing on the DS is controlling two things at once using both screens I am not sure how that works on the switch if you have it docked... but a pretty cool story and interesting gameplay, and I am not the biggest RPG fan.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Dick Bastardly posted:

who agrees that YPM is inherently scummy (regardless of actual alignment)?

(for the record I am not claiming to agree with that sentiment, but I want to know who does)

I don't think that is true. He has a very opaque style that doesn't always making reading him easy, but there are plenty of times where he makes good and sensible points and has opinions that evolve as circumstances change.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Hmmm, tempting but I'm not great at unique/interesting games.

For example, I started playing Undertale and killed the person who let's you stay in their house or whatever, and occasionally I'd take out the phone and be like, "Hmmm there's nobody to call because you killed them." So I got depressed and stopped playing it even though I made friends with some of the other monsters.

But your avatar is from a pretty unique and interesting game!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Dick Bastardly posted:

What do you make of Max so far?

Well I mean I always think Max is scummy....

...but in reality I dunno, I am still in the assessment phase right now. I'm still not sure I fully believe the joke/non-joke interpretation of the YPM/thran votes but I am not sure that Max is the one who looks bad in that. I'll get back to you though.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Max posted:

TBH I read Gulag's as serious when I saw it.

Sam, I thought everything from Gulag on was a serious vote

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

merk is playing mafia like it is still 2013 he just doesn't get how things are now

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

CCKeane posted:

Hello everybody, your friendly neighborhood Comic Con Badge is here.

I strongly dislike these posts, especially since I think Max's posting has been good overall so far, and I don't really like the elaboration provided, especially since it had to be drawn out. It seems like Cat wanted to make a call, and then later appended the justification to it after Cat was pressed. Cat is my top pick right now.

I have no idea what merk is doing with DB, but I absolutely do not see anything there.

##vote CuriousCat

Yeah, that feels about right re: Cat

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

##vote merk looks like he came in here thinking he was going to merk it up and bully us into some case on an easy target and he’s doesn’t appear to have any interest in making reads or really interacting with anyone so far

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

CCKeane posted:

To be clear, I directly take statements like that as saying that I am personally not welcome to play mafia games because my career frequently precludes me from posting during that time.

Get a better job loser

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

merk posted:

:siren: Scum Day Vigs do exist. :siren:

Stop saying Mr. F is likely town. We know nothing about his alignment based on him having a day vig. We can comment about his alignment based on how he used it.

100% agree with this and I don't know how some of the more experienced players are acting like scum day vig is super OP or something. Scum have vigs all the time and a day vig is probably less overpowered than a night vig because it has to be done publicly.

Not saying that vig is a hard alignment call either way for Mags, but nothing about how it went down makes it seem townie that is for sure

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

CCKeane posted:

Thought about this more, I don't like it, and the use of the word "rusty" seems to imply that YPM thinks merk is wrong when he says DB is scum.

I agree that's what it seems like YPM was getting at but I don't know why that is necessarily bad.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

CCKeane posted:

What scum did we catch?

Definitely a weird post but he was clearly referring to cat which he also came back later and clarified

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

merk posted:

I just checked the thread. This never happened:

The first mention of 'pin' in the game is from a joke Gulag post:

No one else mentions a 'pin' before that curiousCat post.

##vote curiousCat

Keane hasn’t claimed to be a comic con pin or badge as well and I thought there were others but maybe not

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

CCKeane posted:

Here you go, merk.

YPM had his vote on DB as he said this. He said he isn't voting you because of your rustiness, but he is voting the person you cased.

So if you are rusty, you're wrong, if you're wrong, YPM is voting town.

Ah I misread that the first time through, you’re right that sentence makes no sense. Hmmmm

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Merks posting is much better today than yesterday so far

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

But somehow it was good town play???

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Hey sorry I just got out of a long day at work and I’ve read everything but I don’t have much to add about Cat. I didn’t really find her to be scummy but enough other people do that maybe I’m not looking hard enough.

I won’t have time to post much anyway so I can hammer if you want

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Well I feel half right

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

If these are open nights i will get some thoughts down when I get up tomorrow

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Max posted:

I know I’m an unfun stick in the mud but I’m actually serious about cats deadpost. Not much to be done about it though.

I appreciate your strict attention to decorum

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Max posted:

Only for another half an hour.

Awww well I’m at a basketball game so my deeper thoughts will have to wait until D2

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I agree that Mr. F and PMush interaction when the day opened seemed like it could have been planned during the night. I really don't like the way Magnus came in today with a totally different attitude either

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Atomic Soda posted:

and pmush immediately drops the vote because she feels bad, she thinks cat could be frustrated town but she'll vote to avoid a lunch. this could be true but again, hedging.

I agree with most everything you posted but I will say those posts of cats you quoted there are what made me think she was most likely town before she flipped.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

merk posted:

I’m driving or I’d look myself.

Be careful out there merk!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Hmmm I think scum Mr F is more interested in defending himself so I now lean more town on him but I wish he’d try a little harder to help the town that’s for sure

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

LupusAter posted:

Xad's last couple posts aren't the best look, but again, can't fault someone for trying to stay alive.

You can’t fault someone for trying to stay alive but those thoughts don’t feel honest to me, particularly the PMush part

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Friend, he keeps running away everytime I ask him a question,and tried to summarily dismiss my case by acting like there wasn't substance. He tried to create a town narrative that was clearly alive. He's try to defend himself, just poorly.

Maaaaaybe but it seems more like he did his vig and he just doesn’t really care about the game anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Max posted:

Also I'm once again going to bring up a new case for people to look at, re: Hal

Hal hasn't really stuck to many hard opinions thus far in the game. At best I would describe him as posting just enough to appear like he's here without ever doing much, aside from responding to cases and sort of flagrantly changing his opinion as posts come in.

This was an interesting interaction, because it looks on the surface like he's saying that he agrees with Keane. What's wrong here is Keane is making a case on cat with enough conviction to vote her, while Hal apparently agrees but doesn't really follow through. In fact, his next post is a vote on merk.

So I wonder what happened to his feelings on Cat between these two posts.

Especially when this comes up later:

Note: he never actually unvoted merk day 1.

We get this near hammer:

I don't really get the incongruity here about cat. He specifically made a +1 post earlier about her in relation to what Keane said, and that was well before she starting vaguing it up with her claim and backtracking a lot of her reasoning. I know she flipped survivor, but I honestly think her play was messy.

Hal's post here is just wishy washy enough to forgive him no matter which way she flips. It seems deliberately constructed that way.

In fact, I encourage you to just hit the "?" on his profile and take a gander. Almost the entirety of his post history this game could be described as fence sitting, only really responding to whomever the most popular topic of conversation is at the time.

It feels scummy. ##vote Hal

Hmmm well I disagree that I have been fence sitting. I have changed my opinions over time for sure but I would actually say that most of my posts are more definitive than they normally are at this point in the game.

Re: Cat I thought her posts near the end did not sound phony at all and I very consistently use that as a tactic to find scum so I don't know why you would find that strange from me. I admit I didn't word it well.

And yes I am just usually responding to whatever is happening lately because I have yet to have a time where I can spend a significant chunk of time with the game and there are always a lot of posts I've missed in a large game like this so I touch on what's relevant at the time and plan to dig in to deeper stuff later but later has never had a chance to come yet.

• Locked thread