Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Magnetic North posted:

For certain definitions of the word "easy" :stonklol:

It doesn't look easy at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Last Dance dead, Canada is the last country standing 🇨🇦 🫡

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Dark Souls 2 marathon on https://twitch.tv/soulsspeedruns to celebrate the (best) game's 10 year anniversary. Schedule at https://oengus.io/marathon/ds2bday/schedule.

Very specific since it's a single (and magnificent) game, but it's neat to have all those categories being run back to back. Including a, uh, intringuing "stairless" category? As in avoiding all staircases? :confused:

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 15, 2024

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

https://twitch.tv/nsgmarathon

the first ever Norway Speedrunner Gathering opens with audio issues and then there's a power cut due to snow

so they improvised and the first run is on a battery powered camera, steam deck and runners holding like five phones up for chat and donos

well worth a watch

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B095eHBrCg

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Ocarina of Time is so hosed up.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

This is a very clear presentation of something I was wondering about. Thanks for sharing!

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

After years of hating those floor tiles that slowly rise up and then fly at him, Link finally turns the tables and twists flooring to his own benefit.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Dynawarp.

I'm sad the name "Ganonfloor" didn't stuck around.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Ganonfloor would work if the glitch only took you to Ganon but runners are trying to use it for everything.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Ganonflorf

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

The Mario Maker 0% plot thickens - there's only one level left (Trimming The Herbs), but it's starting to look like that level had a cheated clear check.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The idea of someone using AHK to TAS is funny.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Rubellavator posted:

The idea of someone using AHK to TAS is funny.

TAS is just tool-assisted speedrun, it doesn't have to mean abusing savestates to get every input perfect. Autofire is an example of tool assistance.
:goonsay:

That video basically seems to say "the creator of the level isn't good enough to beat it" plus "at the time the level was uploaded, they were too busy to have put the time in to generate a legit clear". Which is 100% circumstantial evidence...as someone who isn't embedded in the scene, I can't say how convincing it is.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

TAS is just tool-assisted speedrun, it doesn't have to mean abusing savestates to get every input perfect. Autofire is an example of tool assistance.
:goonsay:

That video basically seems to say "the creator of the level isn't good enough to beat it" plus "at the time the level was uploaded, they were too busy to have put the time in to generate a legit clear". Which is 100% circumstantial evidence...as someone who isn't embedded in the scene, I can't say how convincing it is.

it's pure cope.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I also read that he streamed hundreds of hours of his attempts to clear Bombs5 for the upload. If he truly sucked so bad, I think someone would have noticed. Putting in a short clip of him missing a shell jump into an up pipe as proof that he's no good is a cheap shot - watch any top-level Mario streamer for a few minutes, and you'll see at least one "easy" death. Maybe you could make the case that he isn't top-tier as a general Mario player, but was able to get good at his own levels and the particular kinds of bomb tricks that he put into Bombs5 and TTH, but that seems more like an argument in his favor than against him.

Very flimsy "evidence" here.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

big pastebin write up on tth from lord warspyking https://pastebin.com/raw/evqRgTH0

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

You know it's serious when they start making pastebins.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So I get that runners probably want to do all this legally and having the countdown making it a race is fun, but generally since the servers are being shut down is there no way to...I guess pirate all these levels off of Nintendo's servers to save them for posterity?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

site posted:

So I get that runners probably want to do all this legally and having the countdown making it a race is fun, but generally since the servers are being shut down is there no way to...I guess pirate all these levels off of Nintendo's servers to save them for posterity?
Should be right here: I'm willing to bet someone will have a private server you can connect to with this hosted at some point.
https://archive.org/details/super_mario_maker_courses_202105

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

It sounds to me like the evidence is circumstantial but non-trivial, and getting stronger with every day it goes uncleared. Like, the following seems like a pretty logical argument to me.

1. Ahoyoo is not the world's greatest kaizo player, and in fact wasn't particularly well-known as a kaizo player (only a creator).
2. Team 0% has drawn most of the world's greatest kaizo players in to focus on TTH specifically, and they are grinding both heavily and sweatily. If you've been following Riley's channel you'll see some of the ridiculous bullshit they've already cleared given only a very limited time, and it's totally absurd. I can buy that the skill difference between them and Ahoyoo is on par with the skill difference between Ahoyoo and me.
3. Therefore, if Ahoyoo was able to clear TTH with very limited time, but team 0% isn't able to do the same given a lot longer, that's a red flag.
4. The clear check video for Ahoyoo's other ridiculously hard level (Bombs5) is really, really fishy - it doesn't match the final version of the level - which while not proof of splicing is another red flag.
5. The lack of a splice at the start of the very start of the TTH clear check video is unusual (normally you'd restart to get the perfect run and cut out the failed attempts), which is a third red flag.

There's a counter-argument to points 1-3: it only takes one kaizo creator to get obscenely lucky in their clear check to create a TTH-level problem for team 0%, and any creator who did would come under heavy scrutiny. But in conjunction with the other two red flags, I dunno. Personally I'm just sitting over here with popcorn and watching the pastebins.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

lord riley unlisted the vid, doubters in shambles

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Honestly, if they managed to beat it using autohotkey of all things, they deserve credit for it. Having it do that many time precise actions in a row without failing is like building a birdhouse by throwing a hammer at the nails from 5 feet away. Beating the level legitimately would be easier.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

If they had actually managed to create a TAS for a WiiU game that ran properly, at a time when there were no dedicated TASing tools available yet for that console, there's no way they would've kept quiet about it.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Yeah, it was pretty funny when the video went "we can see here that he had auto hotkey installed on his computer... could he have used it to tas the level and fake the upload that way????" because I'm pretty sure the answer to that particular question is a definitive no.

Although honestly, even if it was proven the level had a hacked upload or something I doubt it would change much. As long as it's not literally impossible to beat people will still go for it, if for no other reason than "Actually we're not doing that one, so I guess we finished a couple days ago. The end" is very unsatisfying after all the hype about just ONE level left.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Ahoyo didn't need to be a great general Mario player to clear it, he just had to be good at the particular kinds of tricks that he put into the level. Since both of his levels are almost exclusively bomb tech, that seems to be his specialty.

Even in the video claiming it's a cheat, there is no pushback on Ahoyo's claim from a month before the clear that he made it to the third plant. Based on ThaBeast's breakdown video, getting to that point is the hardest part, because it's a bunch of frame-perfect button presses in very quick succession combined with achieving very exact momentum simultaneously. After that point, there are still a lot of frame-perfect inputs required, but they are not as close together and there is not as much momentum control needed. ThaBeast even calls the vertical climb relatively easy and straightforward in comparison. There are a few tricky parts at the top, but I can definitely buy that someone who could make it to the third plant could clear it within a month.

Do we know if any streamers are regularly getting to at least the third plant?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

pixaal posted:

Should be right here: I'm willing to bet someone will have a private server you can connect to with this hosted at some point.
https://archive.org/details/super_mario_maker_courses_202105

Oh cool I'm glad that got done

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

Inferior Third Season posted:

Do we know if any streamers are regularly getting to at least the third plant?

regularly is lol but thabeast and lilkirbs have gotten it a few times

https://clips.twitch.tv/ThoughtfulIncredulousBorkDatBoi-HB2dwtLyhLkF02M_

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
thabeast's stream currently states

PB: 3rd Stack dropped bomb right 1 frame late

A PB we'll never see the likes of again...

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

thabeast's stream currently states

PB: 3rd Stack dropped bomb right 1 frame late

A PB we'll never see the likes of again...

Oh man, that's an improvement from PB: 3rd stack dropped bomb left

It's so stressful and precise that only a couple people are streaming attempts, which is hilarious.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Decent chance LilKirbs gets it tomorrow or this weekend. A couple other people are really close too.

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!
GDQ running a live stage at PAX East for the weekend. Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster on at the moment.

https://twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

Schedule is in the built-in Twitch scheduler (so click About->Schedule or add "/schedule" to the twitch URL).

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

It's related to the SMM1 stuff, so I'm gonna link it here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4056922

Help get your 2ds/3ds/WiiU Spotpass data backed up, before it's too late!

Also on TTH news, there was a hacked clear last night that got everyone very excited, but the hacker admitted to it within minutes. It's still not legitimately cleared yet. I've been having a lot of fun watching the streams, but my partner thinks it's soul-destroying.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
According to Thabeast on his stream just now Ahoyoo contacted him and admitted the original clear of TTH was a TAS. Which doesn't mean the level is impossible, it's not (you could create a stitched completion from various attempts so far), but that it's extremely hard for an RTA.

Kind of an anticlimactic way for this to end if true, though I realize no one involved had anything like this in mind when it was uploaded 7 years ago.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 22, 2024

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

From the Team 0% Discord

quote:

Ahoyo: TTH was made to be unreasonably difficult and to cause a ruckus. I put effort into promoting it in 2017 so that it could be played, dissected, and scrutinized. Once that would happen I would announce that TAS existed for SMM. I did not expect that it would go unnoticed or perceived as easy from watching the video, or that it would take nearly seven years to be uncovered. The sunk cost fallacy of wanting to follow through with the failed troll, combined with new IRL responsibilities, allowed the nonsense to continue. I knew about Team 0% so I let things be until they would uncover it. I delayed uploading bombs5 until the uploads shut down because bombs5 is also illegitimate. I deserve no credit for either, and will not deny Team 0% their victory.

From attempting to upload bombs5 I developed tendon issues in my thumb. After some breaks and noticing they weren’t healing properly, it became unrealistic to continue. Once I accepted this, I felt a sense of relief.

Someone had messaged me about a TAS they were working on for the Wii U. In a video they sent, it seemed to me like they had it working, but they told me they were abandoning the project. The TAS was replicated by my friend after two days of building.
[21:18]Ahoyo: Because I had already resigned to leave streaming and pursue other things, and suddenly had a working TAS, I thought that the bomb guy should go out with a bang, so TTH was constructed. The PogChamp contest was made because I wanted there to be a venue for kaizo enthusiasts to gather. The judges were doing a live viewing of the contest levels, and I let them know that I (intentionally) broke the timer rules and that after showcasing TTH, they should disqualify me.

The past week, when the time bomb finally blew up, things escalated quickly, and the community was divided, which was not my intention. I’m sorry for the drama it caused within the community, and I regret the ordeal, but at least it was interesting. However in the end the truth matters most. Congratulations to Team 0% for their well-earned achievement! SMM is cleared, and The Last Dance was the last level!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Yeah, general consensus is that it's still possible. Still sucks Ahoyo didn't admit it sooner but oh well.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Bit of an underwhelming finish, but it's still a success in the end. And the conclusion even is kind of wholesome compared to the more usual speedrun drama.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I feel like Kirbs would have had it within the next couple of days. He's getting super consistant at the second part, it's just getting there.

I wonder if somebody is going to beat it legit now.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Nettle Soup posted:

I feel like Kirbs would have had it within the next couple of days. He's getting super consistant at the second part, it's just getting there.

I wonder if somebody is going to beat it legit now.

Apparently one of the motivations to come forward with this was the bounty was getting seriously high, so I suspect people will keep trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Looks like both Beast and Kirbs are still going for it, even though they're both a bit bummed about the news.