Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Teddybear posted:

On his 9th attempt at a new strategy to save a frame rule, Kosmic pulls off a 4:55 in SMB1, setting a new record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gum4GI2Jr0s

I thought SMB got a new record only a few months ago. I just can't fathom the record being broken twice in such a short period for something already so close to perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

tonberrytoby posted:

Tournaments really need some kind of display hack that can really display all the competitor on the same screen. In close races with well established routes that would be quite fun to watch. Sort of like the replays from Super Meat Boy.
Real running doesn't use split screens.

Enemies would also be variable per-player. What about a game that involves any RNG at all? What if someone is on an entirely different screen? Which player's camera angle is used? I don't think this could work beyond updating where someone is on an overlay map, which is basically what splits are, just a list.

This is also a networking nightmare to attempt to sync everything into each players screen since ping could easily cause things to hit in the wrong frame.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

b_d posted:

why is the thread title speedghosting. that doesn’t rhyme

:iiam:

It's supposed to be spooky for Halloween :ssh:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

TeaJay posted:

If anyone likes DOS games (who doesn't?) RetrogamingLiveTV is about to start DOScathlon #4, where runners will play 10 games and beat certain goals before moving on to next.

https://www.twitch.tv/retrogaminglivetv

(list on on stream right now, they're setting up)

Races are my favorite part of speed running, you get to see the whole run and with nearly equal skill watching a nearly frame by frame identical run is impressive.

Is there a larger community around this stuff to track it?

A few years ago there was a Super Mario World race with brackets that was really fun to watch as even good runners have bad runs. I think it was post of the summer in length. Haven't found anything else like that, would love to catch some more stuff like that.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Quotey posted:

you have 65k potential inputs each frame unless I'm dumb, so it's not really that doable.

At what 28 frames sure it is. You're going to need to get a bunch of virtual machines going to run this in parallel. First you need to compute all the possible output combinations into a serious a script files using another script to just spit them out. You could even start running them as it does this. You could probably even find a way to split the run generator if it's taking longer than all your run boxes can take up runs. One starting at the front and one at the back is the most obvious but if you could find a way to calculate the mid point you could just keep dividing sets up.

Still probably looking at a multi-year project run time, but not heat death of the universe.

Now if you wanted to do this for something much longer or with more buttons on the controller or even involve 4 controllers things get out of hand fast with current computing power, quantum computers might be a solution here but probably not.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

site posted:

playing a game for 38 hours straight is pretty fuckin stupid

yeah get some sleep, it's still impressive that you keep a stream running that long hand it off to a friend while you sleep and shower come back refreshed! You being present the entire time does not make it more impressive, it actually takes away from it because you look like your about to fall over.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Jabor posted:

Unfortunately in this scenario you're not limited to one set of inputs per frame - you can (and in fact must, to keep the game in its input polling loop) make a different controller input every time the game reads the controller state.

How many times per frame does it do this?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DanielCross posted:

Do we know what the theoretical human limit for Mario Bros Any% is? That seems like something that's probably been math'd out for ages.

this is faster than the previously thought theoretical limit.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Just do one leader board with tags and let people compete at whatever sub category they want.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

site posted:

So I get that runners probably want to do all this legally and having the countdown making it a race is fun, but generally since the servers are being shut down is there no way to...I guess pirate all these levels off of Nintendo's servers to save them for posterity?
Should be right here: I'm willing to bet someone will have a private server you can connect to with this hosted at some point.
https://archive.org/details/super_mario_maker_courses_202105

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Slickdrac posted:

Googling "CBT" doesn't really help (at least it didn't for me), but apparently people read it as "Cock and Ball Torture"

"C.B.T game" does get a steam link
"C.B.T. game" does not work though
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2407660/CBT/
looks like 3D marble madness?