Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Flavahbeast posted:

I played this a bit on the first day of open beta but it usually took at least a minute to matchmake and probably 1 in 4 games had really awful lag, has it improved at all?

The nature of the beta means that there will be a lot of wifi warriors on public matchmaking. It's fine if you get a full squad of people wired up, but unfortunately the nature of the beast means that if there's one person in Hawaii playing on wifi three rooms away from the router, the other five players have to deal with teleporting and jank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Terra does not have green hair, automatic F.

Good news

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Nothing, it's in the in-game reward shop, like the rest of the costumes

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/PapaLeoGG/status/953847839913906177

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It's a P2P game so you can't fix dumbs who are playing on 1bar shared college wifi with a couple of roommates who are torrenting. So long as you're playing with a group you know is wired up, you can at least make sure that your own guys aren't to blame and just not refighting people who are doing that is your best bet.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Anyone want to try and get a goon room going sometime tonight?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Never thought I'd ever see the day where I'd say'man, Vayne looks cool' but here we are.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh hey, a movelist breakdown video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e46GsqGPKxU

I don't know JP, but I had someone who does look at it, and it seems that after staring a basic brave combo you can pick which direction you want to finish the combo in so you can get an advantageous wallsplat. Dunno what his charge is for though.

Edit: Oh okay I found a full translation

BRV

Ground

Ground Rush**: II-II
Bonecrusher: (after Ground Rush) II. Knocks enemy forward
Headwind Break: (after Ground Rush) forward II. Slides to the back of the opponent to knock him away
Concealed Dragon: (after Ground Rush) back II. Knocks the opponent upwards
Left Reversal: (after Ground Rush) left II. Knocks the opponent to the right
Right Hammer: (after Ground Rush) right II. Knocks the opponent to the left
Inviolable Will: Forward II.
Mach Wave: Back II. Tracks the enemy after a period of time

Midair

Air Rush**: II-II
Bonecrusher: (after Air Rush) II. Knocks enemy forward
Headwind Break: (after Air Rush) forward II. Slides to the back of the opponent to knock him away
Descending Phoenix: (after Air Rush) back II. Knocks downwards
Left Reversal: (after Air Rush) left II. Knocks the opponent to the right
Right Hammer: (after Air Rush) right II. Knocks the opponent to the left
Indestructible Heaven: Forward II. Lunges upward in an uppercut
Hell's Kick. Back II. A kick downwards

Dash

Tree of Sephira: II (can be held down)

**Likely to be Pummel, though the kanji are different for Pummel in the original FF12.

HP Attacks

Force of Will: IV.

EX Skill

Monarch's Manifesto: I. Grants buff to self and allies in a surrounding area for a period of time, the longer it is held, the more buffs granted. Level 1: defense and EX skill gauge up. Level 2: Movement and BRV up. Level 3: Attack up, regain HP.

Alt 1: Fortis Novus

Original: Imperial Consul

Weapon 1: Qliphoth
Weapon 2: Enigma
Weapon 3: Calama

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 14, 2018

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So the balance patch with Orbonne went up, here's the total changelist:

quote:

CHARACTER PATCHES:
EMPEROR:
STICKY BOMB: [BUFF] EASIER TO AIM BEFORE FIRING
DARK GAZER (GROUND BACKWARD BRAVE): [QOL] NOW TURNS INTO A SMALL ORB ON THE GROUND WHEN HOLD, RELEASE TO SPAWN THE THUNDER ATTACK, SMALL ORB FOLLOWS THE TERRAIN'S SHAPE, FASTER PROJECTILE SPEED, BETTER TRACKING, REMOVE MAX TRACKING DISTANCE CAP
https://twitter.com/DFFACwiki/status/965910568832942080

ONION KNIGHT:
SWORD AND SORCERY: [NERF] BRAVERY DAMAGE REDUCED FROM 240 TO 180, CORE DESTRUCTION POWER REMAINS THE SAME

CECIL:
HOLY FLAME: [BUFF] +1.5M HITBOX BELOW (-0.3M STARTING ANIMATION HEIGHT, -0.4M PILLAR OCCURENCE HEIGHT, DOWNWARD HITBOX +0.8M), HP NOTIFIES 2F LATER, ATTACK HAPPENS 2F EARLIER, BETTER VISIBILITY

BARTZ:
MASTEREED MONK: [ADJUST] ADUSTMENT ON FIRST HIT DAMAGE REACTION AND SECOND HIT'S MOVEMENT (THE SECOND HIT WEIRD "TURN AROUND/A LITTLE BIT FLIP THING)

TERRA:
CHARGED TORNADO: [NERF] REDUCE VACUUM EFFECT
NORMAL THUNDERA: [NERF] REMOVE WALL RUSH EFFECT

CLOUD:
ALL BRAVERY ATTACKS: [BUFF] INCREASE KEEP VALUE ON STARTUP WHEN FULL CHARGED
https://twitter.com/DFFACwiki/status/965913017362800640

ULTIMECIA:
HELL'S JUDGEMENT: [BUFF] OCCURS 5F EARLIER, EASIER TO CANCEL (DODGE/GUARD) AFTER USAGE

VAAN:
CALAMITY ORB: [QOL] BULLET SHOOTS EVERY 60F, 5 SHOTS IN TOTAL

NOCTIS:
FORWARD BRAVES: [BUFF] BETTER WALL RUSH EFFECT

RAMZA:
NEUTRAL BRAVE: [QOL/BUFF]
GROUND/NORMAL: OCCURS 1F LATER, EASIER TO CANCEL AND CARRY FORWARD
GROUND/SHOUT: OCCURS 1F LATER, ATTACK DURATION 4F SHORTER, EASIER TO CANCEL AND CARRY FORWARD
AIR/SHOUT: ATTACK DURATION 4F SHORTER, EASIER TO CANCEL AND CARRY FORWARD

FORWARD BRAVE: [QOL/BUFF]
GROUND/NORMAL: OCCURS 1F LATER, ATTACK DURATION 7F SHORTER, EASIER TO CANCEL AND CARRY FORWARD
AIR/NORMAL: OCCURS 1F LATER, ATTACK DURATION 4F SHORTER, EASIER TO CANCEL AND CARRY FORWARD

SHOUT MODE DASH ATTACK (SHOCKWAVE ATTACK): [NERF]
SHOCKWAVE SIZE DOWN (-1M LENGTH, -0.75M WIDTH)
IN AIR, SHOCKWAVE OCCURENCE POSITION -0.3M HEIGHT

EARTH RENDER: [BUFF] PILLAR SIZE RADIUS +0.3M, HEIGHT +0.3M, ADJUST VISIBILITY
HOLY: [BUFF] OCCURS 5F EARLIER, EASIER TO CANCEL AND CARRY FORWARD

ACE
HIGH BURST: [QOL] BURST RADIUS +0.1M, TRACKING RANGE RADIUS +0.5M
MEGA BURST: NOW IN PROJECTILE
SHORT STOP: UNTOUCHABLE BUT GUARDABLE
LONG STOP: UNTOUCHABLE BUT GUARDABLE, GUARD STAGGER INCREASES FROM 25F TO 67F, INCREASES PROJECTILE INITIAL SPEED, REDUCE FINAL SPEED (TO SAME AS SHORT STOP), REMOVE SOME OF THE AoE BURST HITBOX
MEGA STOP: NOW IN PROJECTILE, UNTOUCHABLE BUT GUARDABLE, GUARD STAGGER INCREASES FROM 25F TO 112F

Not entirely sure what Now In Projectile means for Ace but there's gonna be a whole lot of new Ramza and Cloud players now.

Edit: Okay I tested it and it's that instead of an explosion happening at the feet of the target, Ace will send an orb flying towards them instead. It's pretty drat fast for Burst too.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 23, 2018

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah but who cares about the short range when you have the best all-Vayne rooms happening? (Note the timestamp.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5a_5duApWQ&t=112s

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

According to the discord, there was apparently a leak and the rumor is Vayne, Locke, Rinoa, Snow (specifically designated as Lightning Returns Snow for some reason, so maybe he'll have the axe?), Yuna and Nag'molada are gonna be playable, but I don't know how reliable that is supposed to be.

I guess if the new character announcement stream confirms one of them, then that'll give it a bit more credence.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Locke's full movelist is up too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbcim15ueIk

Grounded dashing II looks like a brave version of rough divide, and looks like it could've been a great answer to playing height games but ground slam instead of a wall rush is super disappointing. At least his HPs don't look annoying to cut, past like the first one.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The netcode was always pretty decent, it's just a matter of the everpresent problems of idiots playing fighting games on wifi or on cup-and-string internet, and those guys have pretty much been filtered out by now. Japan to USA blows but that's expected, but I haven't had or heard of any problems with people playing cross-country.

That said though they did add in a few stability patches to stop some of the early desyncs in matchmaking so that's nice.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

If you're just starting out, you're gonna be that guy no matter what. If you're looking for more in-depth tutorials, the discord likes this set, but I can't check it for myself right now. For the most part though, the best advice I can give you is don't go off chasing someone and get stuck in a one on one fight or worse, try to stick close to your teammates, and overall play defensively, use your communication options, and try to be aware of what's going on around you and to your teammates, and don't be afraid to step in and help with a combo if you've got a kill shot or you see an ally being attacked. Really though, you're best off finding a group of people who you can play with regularly, preferably on something like skype or the official discord or something.

Other than that, it's just a matter of playing and learning things like spacing and good punishes and stuff like that. That's the sort of thing that you just kind of have to learn firsthand, especially dealing with people guard/step cancelling, but it's just something you learn from experience. There's also a ton of tournament footage out there, usually with pretty good commentary too, so it doesn't hurt to watch what you can find to get a good idea of playstyles and strategies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMhCgHJaRiU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, I was playing extended matches with friends and randos and they were fine.

That said, man, the group finder is a hell of a thing. Either it's people who've got no idea what they're doing who go down in five seconds with any sort of coordinated effort or monster teams who've got their poo poo really together.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Like any fighting game past the first month or two, the playerbase is pretty much entirely in custom rooms now. The one and done nature of ranked is less fun than doing long sets anyways, but sometimes I just feel like getting a match or two in.

The discord group finder though is definitely the best way to play and actually learn stuff though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

XIII-3 Snow, but yeah.

Also I might actually be interested in Rinoa? I guess it depends on whether Angel Wing is permanent or not after popping it, but I like her moveset, which is a first for me to say about a marksman in this game.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

She's got other HP attacks apparently, they just didn't show all of them off. It looks like Meltdown might have a shield/counter trait too?

https://twitter.com/DFFACwiki/status/1016664195599773696

Also apparently the entire non-DLC cast is getting a rework, starting with the oldest characters, so maybe a Squall that doesn't need quite so much team support is in the works. Also some buffs/nerfs were announced which I can't read.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

They also found a bunch of info for new costumes too: https://pastebin.com/ttSKmsuN

There's apparently similar lists for new HP attacks and weapons but I couldn't find anything in one place.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3V5YXhWPO8

literally who

He seems to have an interesting gimmick going though, I'll give that to him, but it doesn't seem as interesting as Vayne's is to get me to add him to my rotation despite not knowing or caring who he is, unlike what happened with Vayne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Apparently landing buffed brave attacks doesn't reset the buff timer? Also the nature of his held brave thing makes me a little suspicious, it seems like it'd make him extremely susceptible to being cut, but at the same time it does set up nicely for getting an HP combo with some assistance.

He can cancel his brave recovery into his EX spheres though, and the spheres apply a debuff if you run into them that reduce attack, defense, speed, and seal skills for 15 seconds, and he can stock up to four uses of the spheres, and each one on the field increases the duration of his brave buffs.

• Locked thread