Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Once upon a time, there was a studio named Arkane. This was a Good Studio. A Noble Studio. A studio that understood the meaning of the word fun. A studio adept at building things. And a studio that was very, very good at combining these skill sets.

The story of Dishonored has become quite the chapter in this studio's story, and it's even more complicated than it was back during the last entry in the saga. There have been a lot of LPs of Dishonored 2, and many of them tell a fantastic story. But as before, I've noticed nobody tackling the myth of this lovely, lovely game.

Don't get me wrong, I can understand why. Dishonored 1 was big. There was a lot to say, and a ton to cover. Dishonored 2, at its core, looks like it's twice as big, which is intimidating enough. But the reality of the situation is that with the number of variants of the myth can be told, it's even bigger than that.

However, we're not intimidated. We have a base passion that we want to share. And by we, I mean:

Myself, Coolguy, reprising my role as the cocaine-huffing hug-master Corvo Attano
TheLastRoboKy, also rejoining as the Keystone Kop known more popularly as "Stumbles the Assassin"
Skoolmunkee, the seasoned mistress of many a winding tale, as the mostly-only-mischievous Emily Kaldwin
and The Iron Rose, the tireless tinkerer of many a mod, as the overpowered and unforgiving Iron Empress.

And not to be ignored, the man in the back is Lunethex providing sound editing for us. You can expect his usual clowning (mostly on me).

So join us, won't you, while we cover the not just the story, but the myth of Dishonored 2?

(Credit to our own dear skoolmunkee for these awesome banners)

Low Chaos Corvo (Clean Hands, Very Hard difficulty)

With Coolguy in the pilot's seat, this run is sure to have an unhinged grasp of reality and many, many whiffs, but no blood (well, except his own).

A Long Day in Dunwall: Youtube Polsy
A Long Day in Dunwall (interlude): Youtube
Edge of the World: Youtube Polsy
The Good Doctor: Youtube Polsy
The Good Doctor (interlude): Youtube
The Clockwork Mansion: Youtube Polsy
The Clockwork Mansion (interlude): Youtube
The Royal Conservatory: Youtube Polsy
The Dust District: Youtube Polsy
Crack in the Slab: Youtube Polsy
The Grand Palace: Youtube Polsy
Death to the Empress: Youtube Polsy

High Chaos Corvo

TheLastRoboKy is here, it's his first day, and OH MY GOD WHY IS THAT SHARP OH JESUS I'M SO SORRY

Ramsay Unique Kills: Youtube
Interlude 1: Youtube

Edge of the World (1/2): Youtube Polsy
Edge of the World (2/2) Youtube Polsy

Hypatia Unique Kills: Youtube

The Clockwork Mansion (1/2): Youtube Polsy
The Clockwork Mansion (2/2): Youtube Polsy

The Royal Conservatory (1/2): Youtube Polsy
The Royal Conservatory (2/2): Youtube Polsy

Dust District (1/2): Youtube Polsy
Dust District (2/2): Youtube Polsy

Crack in the Slab (1/2): Youtube Polsy
Crack in the Slab (2/2): Youtube Polsy

The Grand Palace (1/2): Youtube Polsy
The Grand Palace (2/2): Youtube Polsy

Death to the Empress (1/2): Youtube Polsy
Death to the Empress (2/2): Youtube Polsy

Low Chaos Emily (Console run)

Skoolmunkee has basically been waiting for this opportunity to make even the Outsider scratch his head in confusion and she's ready to grab it with BOTH drat HANDS

The Clockwork Mansion (1/2): Youtube Polsy
The Clockwork Mansion (2/2): Youtube Polsy
Dust District: Youtube Polsy
The Grand Palace: Youtube Polsy

High Chaos Emily (New Game+ run)

Iron Rose has all the powers you want, more besides, and the world is her playground to use them. Lock your door.

The Clockwork Mansion: Youtube Polsy
Dust District: Youtube Polsy
The Grand Palace (1/2): Youtube Polsy
The Grand Palace (2/2): Youtube Polsy

BONUS VIDEOS:
Science Emily in Dunwall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CMibzVOKEQ
Science Emily in Karnaca: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyFTueJKa0o
SCIENCE EMILY IN A HOSPITAL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR1v7X9vOMs
SCIENCE IN A MANSION: Youtube
SCIENCE IN A MUSEUM: Youtube Polsy
SCIENCE IN A SHITHOLE: Youtube Polsy
SCIENCE BETWEEN WORLDS: Youtube Polsy

DEATH OF THE OUTSIDER:
Completing the 'trilogy' of Dishonored, Death of the Outsider follows Billie Lurk as she ties up the last loose end of the decades-long drama plaguing the empire: The Black-Eyed Bastard. The Outsider, while not truly evil, or not truly good, is the ultimate source of all of the terrible events of Dishonored 1 and Dishonored 2. For that, and to settle the scores of father-figure and mentor, Daud, Billie suits up with one singular purpose.

Death to the Outsider.

DotO is exempt from the Chaos system of the main games, and as such we will only be doing one completionist playthrough. Played by Lunethex and commentated on by Coolguy and TheLastRoboKy, buckle in for some of the highest swashbuckling Dishonored action yet.

Death of the Outsider: Interlude 1: Youtube Polsy
Death of the Outsider: One Last Fight: Youtube Polsy
Death of the Outsider: Interlude 2: Youtube Polsy
Death of the Outsider: Follow the Ink: Youtube Polsy

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Stuff:

- We're not sure what DotO looks like just yet. Obviously it's not nearly as expansive as what we're doing and to be truthful neither Roboky nor I have played it as of this moment. We're focused right now on handling this absolutely mammoth project so we'll visit what the DLC looks like when we're closer to done.

- Which should be roughly 4 months. Part of the reason this has taken so long is because I insisted on everyone having their playthroughs on the books before we did anything. We have a bit of a video backlog right now, and my goal is to release 2 videos a week.

- The biggest thing that could potentially go wrong is, of course, time zones. Skoolmunkee is in the UK, and with Roboky in Australia, we literally could not be any further away from each other if we tried. I have a backup plan if we hit a dry spell, so no worries!

GIFS!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846842&pagenumber=2#post480558433

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3846842&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post480627792

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3846842&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post481012298

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846842&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post481084822

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3846842&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post481168890

ART!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846842&pagenumber=4#post480667737

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846842&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post480821504

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3846842&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post481058997

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846842&pagenumber=9#post481453871

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846842&pagenumber=11#post481761339

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 1, 2018

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Can't wait to see more whiffed grabs.

e: I owned that exact same CYOA book with the space vampire.

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 20, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i decided to start with mine precisely because of the ULTRAWHIFF about 2/3rds the way through

e:

Schubalts posted:

DUDE

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 20, 2018

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
And what a whiff it was.

I'm definitely looking forward to the other three playthroughs to see if their first episodes get me to laugh as hard as this one did. Strong start, man.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Coolguye posted:

Skoolmunkee is in the UK, and with Roboky in Australia, we literally could not be any further away from each other if we tried.
The Time Warriors has never been a more fitting name.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
All you had to do is stay on the drat train, CG!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
'Hi there.'
'HELP GUARDS!'
'Yeah, my name's Corvo. You might know me.'
'SOMEONE HELP ME'
'I know you.'
'HELP'
'You printed that Crown Killer stuff.'
'GET AWAY FROM ME'
'Yeah I just want to clear some things up about that.'
'YOU THREW A MAN IN MY FACE'
'You done did a bad thing there.'
'Oh certainly, I've learned my lesson now that the average body count outside our little ally hideaway has reached highs that haven't been seen since the plague.'
'You're uh. You're a lot calmer down here now.'
'Look Corvo, you're the one who told me to stick to procedure.'
'Everyone on this street is either dead or unconscious.'
'Yeah and I'm not an idiot who manages to fall off a train just by waving his sword around.'
'... If only this wasn't my clean hands run.'

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Oooh! And here, I haven't even gotten started on playing the first Dishonored.

I loved the music in the official trailer. Does it show up in the game proper?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Oh, there is so much I know to look forward to in this- and I never even finished the dang game! Maybe this will give me the impetus to get my run rolling again.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
First video cuts part of the introductions. Skoolmunkee gets partway into hers, and Rose gets nothing at all.

Poor Corvo, another woman he clearly gave a poo poo about got stabbed right in front of him.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I love watching Dishonored, especially gimmicky bullshit runs! I liked what I saw last time so much that I went and bought it after the LP ended
To be honest, I uninstalled the game within a few missions and I don't plan to ever reinstall it. I absolutely hated playing Dishonored, but the devs got my money and I get to watch a sequel to the first LP

That's what truly matters here

RickVoid posted:

First video cuts part of the introductions. Skoolmunkee gets partway into hers, and Rose gets nothing at all.

No one else mentioned it so far! Made me worried I was having a stroke or something. At first I thought it was the group doing a "man with no name" gag, but then Rose's name was said during the video a few times and clearly stated in the outro

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Still unfortunate that our good captain isn't calling herself Lily Burke.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

stupid loving encode. well, i will re-up tonight/tomorrow. sorry about all that! thank you for the report!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Meagan Foster has a real Master Miller disability going on.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

It's ok Roboky I love you... if only because it statistically lowers the chance of me walking down a street in dunwall and getting murdered.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Intentionally murdered, maybe.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Please enjoy our incredible adventures in stabs and whiffs and Coolguy continuing a long and fruitful history of encoding goofing.

Stormgale posted:

It's ok Roboky I love you... if only because it statistically lowers the chance of me walking down a street in dunwall and getting murdered.

Maybe Dunwall but definitely not in Karnaca.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This game.
I kinda burned myself out on this. I challenged myself a bit to much. Absolutely no kills, or combat (The combat tutorial must not appear) and no magic, because gently caress that guy.

Playing the game like this is a tedious mess. Don't do that.
I came quite far and I'm not exactly stuck, but I don't care enough to finish it this way and also don't feel like stopping the challenge.

I'll probably just watch this LP.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Dogg, just play it again as Captain Stabfellow and have a great time.

Let yourself be tempted by the Outsider! Get a sick hand tattoo!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the no-powers portion of things is actually insanely shallow, story wise. there's like 2 differences in the run, total, and both of them are exceedingly minor.

also, copy with fixed intro is uploaded and is processing right now. OP has been updated. thanks for the shout out!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Schubalts posted:

Can't wait to see more whiffed grabs.

Same. I remember one of the climactic decisions involved the book telling you which month it was and then having to choose between tricking him into going to the north or south pole, to try to have the sunlight kill it.

I also remember you could just choose to become a vampire yourself which was an instant game over. Not even a bad end, really, just "You're a space vampire now, the end."

I can't believe I can't find it on my shelf. I've got like two dozen of these old CYOAs but that one's missing. Must have gotten lost in a recent move.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Coolguye posted:

- We're not sure what DotO looks like just yet. Obviously it's not nearly as expansive as what we're doing and to be truthful neither Roboky nor I have played it as of this moment. We're focused right now on handling this absolutely mammoth project so we'll visit what the DLC looks like when we're closer to done.
DotO is amazing because they finally got rid of mana potions and just made it regenerate infinitely.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
I wonder if we should start a game of spot Lun's audio editing....

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

cokerpilot posted:

I wonder if we should start a game of spot Lun's audio editing....

he'd enjoy it

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
I really like that the game has coherent nonlethal combat. It makes killing more a choice than a matter of how much aggravation you can put up with. Though, I do worry it somewhat defeats the point when when you can just slide in and nut crunch people with impunity. Also how unconscious people and dead ones are functionally identical in most cases. Playing nonlethally seems like something that should be allowed in more games while still requiring effort to do so. I wonder how much people would hate it if unconscious people woke up after a while?

I'll add that to my list of "ways to make players hate the developer". I'll also add "all impact based 'nonlethal' strikes have a 10% chance to kill everyone" to that list. Along with a trophy for a clean hands run.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Fuuka Ayase posted:

I'll add that to my list of "ways to make players hate the developer". I'll also add "all impact based 'nonlethal' strikes have a 10% chance to kill everyone" to that list. Along with a trophy for a clean hands run.

don't trigger me like this

SS-Kumei
Sep 1, 2012
I was always so terrible at buttons that I'd have to reload because I pressed "kill" instead of "K/O". Or throwing a body through a window into the street for another guard to find instead of dropping the body gently. Or Blinking against a ledge instead of onto it.

I'm really glad we have so many people who actually know how to play the game so I can still get the story.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Fuuka Ayase posted:

I think Deus Ex: Human Revolution did this but it was a bug.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Fuuka Ayase posted:

I wonder how much people would hate it if unconscious people woke up after a while?
In any game that does this I just kill everyone because I hate being on a timer, especially in games like Dishonored where you're encouraged to take your time and rub your face across every corner of the map in search of hidden stuff.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

if knocking the taste out of someone’s mouth was potentially lethal I’d still probably do it as much as possible

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler

The Iron Rose posted:

don't trigger me like this

What? I just want to make your games horrible to play in ways that don't matter. You'll be able to get the 'mercy' ending of a game while still killing 50% of the people in it, but if you want the trophy, that does nothing at all, you need to either painstakingly hug everyone or risk having to replay sections every time the 10% triggers. Though do tell me real quick. What would annoy you more? The game requiring it to count as 100% complete, or being at 100% complete but the counter goes up to 101% if you get the trophy?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Fuuka Ayase posted:

What? I just want to make your games horrible to play in ways that don't matter. You'll be able to get the 'mercy' ending of a game while still killing 50% of the people in it, but if you want the trophy, that does nothing at all, you need to either painstakingly hug everyone or risk having to replay sections every time the 10% triggers. Though do tell me real quick. What would annoy you more? The game requiring it to count as 100% complete, or being at 100% complete but the counter goes up to 101% if you get the trophy?

I mean I'm not super big on achievements or nonlethal play at all personally :v: it's just the aggressively bad game design that bugs me

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
Then just ignore the death chance. Prop the ones you kill by mistake up on sticks and pretend they're alive if you'll feel better.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The old Weekend At Bernie's solution.

I like the Phantom Pain option myself, where they wake up after a while but you can kidnap the enemies to make them work for you.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

fultoning everything certainly appealed to the kleptomaniac in me. people are not nailed down after all, how can I steal everything not nailed down if I don’t steal the people????

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

People, and tanks, and APCs, and cargo containers...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

don’t forget the AA and machine guns, which I could loving swear were nailed down somehow

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

If you can pry them loose, they're not nailed down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why not just steal the nails first?