Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Like, how were there forest fires and stuff? I'm sure that most modern fires are caused by discarded cigarettes and crossed power lines and stuff, but that's all directly or indirectly caused by humanity. I guess that lightning or like lava could set stuff on fire, but that seems like really edge case stuff. How do fires start in the middle of the mountains or the forest and places? I know some species of plants are evolved to utilize natural fires as part of their reproduction process, so it's got to be a somewhat regular thing, and have been a thing for millions of years already. How did fires happen for millions of years before humanity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Lightning

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
lightning
:science:

lava

Ron Perlman

really pissed off Italians

smashing ice cubes together

Zippo brand windproof lighters

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

I mentioned that. But there's got to be more stuff.

Sponge Baathist posted:

lightning
:science:

lava

Ron Perlman

really pissed off Italians

smashing ice cubes together

Zippo brand windproof lighters

I already mentioned the first ones, and most of those things are related to humanity.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
magma

fire ants

eating really hot peppers and putting flammable stuff near your ears and mouth

mixing diet coke and mentos

GewuerzKahn
Jan 7, 2014

My opposable nipples are hurting me.
I guess two sticks rubbing each other.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

angels

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
an angel did it

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

magnifying glasses

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Satan maybe?

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

here you are op
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildfire#Causes

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

spontaneous human combustion is possible with other types of organic matter

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
nobody said God did it yet

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Sponge Baathist posted:

nobody said God did it yet

lightning? hello?

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Maya Fey posted:

lightning? hello?

nice

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Lightning is God farting

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

after a little research, i discovered that Pistachio nuts have a tendency to spontaneously combust when stored in large compacted amounts

http://www.tis-gdv.de/tis_e/ware/nuesse/pistazie/pistazie.htm#selbsterhitzung

quote:

Because of their tendency to self-heating, pistachio nuts may behave like substances from Class 4.2 of the IMDG Code.

Excessive stack pressure results in self-heating. Oils which have accumulated in the jute packaging fabric encourage this behavior.

Pistachio nuts, especially pistachio kernels, should not be stowed together with fibers/fibrous materials as oil-soaked fibers may promote self-heating/spontaneous combustion of the cargo.

The self-heating of pistachio nuts requires only a small seat of moisture, so that within just a few hours heating may occur at moist points for which weeks or months would be required in goods dry on shipment.

Fresh pistachio nuts with a high water content tend in particular towards rapid self-heating and may also ignite

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Sometimes it's just really hot and dry and vegetation is clustered just right such that a little bit heats up and sparks the rest. Some plants also have highly flammable sap. Also plants do actually move and rub against each other more than we realise. Also gods and fire elements were more active before humans took over.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

mandrake roots pull themselves up out of the ground and run about setting things alight

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Dragons and Fire Elementals mainly. Ragnaros and Zeus as well.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Dragons, surely.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

is a balrog a fire elemental?

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Commie NedFlanders posted:

after a little research, i discovered that Pistachio nuts have a tendency to spontaneously combust when stored in large compacted amounts

http://www.tis-gdv.de/tis_e/ware/nuesse/pistazie/pistazie.htm#selbsterhitzung

I never would have thought pistachio nuts could stack up like this in the wild. That's crazy.

Moon Atari posted:

Sometimes it's just really hot and dry and vegetation is clustered just right such that a little bit heats up and sparks the rest. Some plants also have highly flammable sap. Also plants do actually move and rub against each other more than we realise. Also gods and fire elements were more active before humans took over.

I don't think this is true.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

literally this big posted:

I never would have thought pistachio nuts could stack up like this in the wild. That's crazy.

ever heard of squirrels?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Crow stole fire from the karatgurk in order to cook his yams, but was startled by bunjil and the other birds demanding he share his fire, causing him to drop embers everywhere starting a bush fire and burning his feathers black.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

i didnt know they stacked pistachio nuts that high

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
cum

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
it's angels, I think

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
read your bibles people :argh:

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

grass fires, much like the op's mom, can start burning spontaneously if it's hot and dry enough

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.
A boulder with flint on it rolls down a hill with something it can strike, makes sparks, fire.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
Fires aren't real, dummy.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Phlairdon posted:

Fires aren't real, dummy.
ive never seen a nuclear bomb

they arnt real either

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Very carefully

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
It's birds, OP.

https://twitter.com/bgosford/status/954332446673190913

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
there wasn't any fire before humans because humans invented it you dummy

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Wildfires are naturally occurring and overall beneficial to the state of wild forests. It only gets bad when meddling humans put up expensive flammable houses in its way or decide to plant specific trees en masse.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
Jesus Christ OP read a book.

Everyone knows fire came from the fingernails of great goddess, Mahuika. The only reason humans can make it at all is because Maui tricked her into throwing her last toenail at him, and it got stuck in some trees.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Robots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Everything changed when the fire nation attacked. The first spliff was lit, and the caveman, enlightened.

• Locked thread