Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Last of Us is a hit game from 2013. I won't bother going into detail because you've probably either already played it or are well aware of it. But did you know that it also has a multiplayer mode that is not only awesome, but still very active? Over the years it has developed an extremely loyal cult following, but don't worry, the popularity of the single player means there is a mostly constant stream of newbs coming in and there are plenty of people that stink at it despite playing for hundreds of hours, sometimes that guy is me.

I suppose you are wondering why I'd make a thread for a 5 year old "tacked on (people love making this assumption)" multiplayer mode. Well, first off it's loving great and it saddens me that so many people seem to have written it off without trying it. Second off I can't count the number of times I have heard people express that they wish they had tried it, or have been meaning to get back to it because they thought it was great but got distracted. I also think it fills a niche that no other game has come close to for me. it's hard to describe exactly what makes it so good without playing it first, but it's a bit of a tactical shooter/stealth game at it's core, but it does it's own thing and is hard to peg. Thematically it feels like an extension of the single player, as you do your best to sneak around until poo poo goes south, and all of a sudden poo poo gets real and it's goddamn chaos. This is all amplified by brutal melee violence and wonderfully fluid movement, unlike anything else I've seen in the genre. There is also a nice sense of small scale RPG progression as you basically level up your gear how you want mid round.

With the sequel possibly hitting sometimes this year, I think it's a great time to get back into this game, or get into it for the first time.

I was going to write out a guide, but I'm lazy and most of the advice in this video is decent, although it's very old and things have changed somewhat since it was released. I think it will mostly give you a decent idea of how to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xQJhbXBPPk

A few personal pointers

1) Play with a party! This game is highly team based and the more communication you have, the better. Having no synergy with your team feels horrible. if you don't have anyone to play with, I recommend playing in "no parties" mode and use a mic. people are way more likely to not be in private chat and ready to talk. Playing with parties allowed might seem like the way to go, but you are way more likely to be stuck as a loner and be matched up against a full party of 4.

2)What mode should I play? personally I heavily prefer Survivors which is an elimination mode, but supply raid is good too. Imo interrogation is poo poo but some people swear by it

3) the shotgun is the most ridiculous gun in video games. If you want to get kills and don't give a poo poo feel free to use it, but be warned literally everyone will hate you because it's the ultimate scrub weapon. At the same time, who cares what they think. After a few hours your ego may not let you use it anymore though.

4) If you are having trouble getting kills, try out a support build by gifting/healing/and reviving. This will net you a ton of points for armor and upgrades, possibly making you a beast towards the end of the round.

5) What guns to use? Frankly, any of them. They are all pretty well balanced, so play with what feels good. The full auto rifle is probably under powered but it's also very newb friendly and fun to use. make sure to prioritize upgrading it if you use it. My personal fave is the burst rifle, but it takes some getting used to. Semi auto is probably the most well rounded weapon in the game.

6) Purchasable weapons? Well, the shotgun is the best. You are a oval office if you use it but it's the best. As far as the other ones go, I like the specter which is brutal at close range, the machete is a lot of fun. They are all good though. use the potato gun if you want to really make the other team scramble.

7)" what are these blue dots? It's a dumb meta game that affects nothing. ignore it. or play it if you enjoy it, but don't gently caress up a round scrambling for blue cans or you will piss off your team.

8) Fireflies or Hunters? hunters, duh.

That doesn't cover everything, but hopefully this thread can rekindle some goon interest in a great game. Some of us still play all the time and would be happy to have you join the club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roWrPV-PTXA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfQ7qRaYMd4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Perfect timing, I just reinstalled this last night. I won’t be available to play til Tuesday afternoon though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Shoot me a request. My PSN is Monostat7 and I'm always down with hunting tourists in my free time.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

But I gots to have my blueberries tho :3::3::byob1::3::3::sadwave:

Anyways, yeah, after a year-long stint with my shortybros build I'm back to mainlining as a manic crafter and running all over the place delivering packages. I'm still really not used to playing without both Agility and Covert and being seen all the time, especially without blowing my team's cover, but Marathon Runner helps mitigate the difference and having a machete keeps things spicy. It's also sort of nice because Crafter III is a great funding source for gun upgrades and purchasables like the Machete. Oh, and it needs to be reiterated, the Enforcer owns.

Current build:

- Enforcer

- Crafter III
- Marathon Runner II
- Explosion Expert I
- Bomb Expert I

- Machete

If anyone needs build advice feel free to ask, mono and I have put more than 500 hours into this multi at this point.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

This video owns so loving hard.

edit; this dude makes a pretty interesting run at a 9mm-only build. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka0QT6vEOCI

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 20, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

edit; this dude makes a pretty interesting run at a 9mm-only build. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka0QT6vEOCI

Definitely makes a solid case for the 9mm. Still my favorite way to finish the job, but frankly the dude is a better shot than I am and I recently stopped using it because the damage output is just so low. it's just really hard to get downs with it without softening up the enemy with a long gun first , unless you can headshot like crazy.

I'll always have an special spot for that gun though. there is something very fun about it.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
In on this. PSN is JamesWoodsKiting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
https://twitter.com/Naughty_Dog/status/955935466158743553

• Locked thread