Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Considering the demographics of SA, chances are you either currently, or at one point in your shameful past, played some sort of Trading/Collectable Card Game. The three most popular ones were (and still are) Magic: The Gathering, Yu-Gi-Oh, and PokeMon. Let us relive our childhoods/last Friday night by posting our favorite cards!

This guy was never very good, but he's always stuck with me for some reason:

Probably because that one little blurb is all you ever get about a character on a Yu-Gi-Oh card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
Do you like Magic, but wish it was more anime?

Then I've got the game for you, the hot new MTG ripoff straight out of Japan: Force of Will.

I have a friend who is really into this game, so I'll play it with him sometimes. It's basically exactly Magic except they changed combat, and I think it's for the worse. Not all of the art is as egregious as the above stuff, but nevertheless it is not a game I would recommend playing in public ever.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Why does the dog have titties

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

A high-power toolbox that can get way too huge for a 3-drop, add an extra mana, and find whatever utility lands you need, all in one card.

No funny lore or trivia, it's just really good and I love using it. :shobon:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Super Bazooka Volcanodon

http://kaijudo.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Bazooka_Volcanodon

Gencon a few years back gave out starter decks for Kaijudo in your swag bag and this was in mine.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Phthisis posted:

Do you like Magic, but wish it was more anime?

Then I've got the game for you, the hot new MTG ripoff straight out of Japan: Force of Will.

I have a friend who is really into this game, so I'll play it with him sometimes. It's basically exactly Magic except they changed combat, and I think it's for the worse. Not all of the art is as egregious as the above stuff, but nevertheless it is not a game I would recommend playing in public ever.

:stare:

I knew FoW was some total weeb stuff but gat dam I didn't realize it was so dire.

I don't play Magic, but this is my favorite Magic card:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This card reminds me of how much better Magic was when they basically just let artists do whatever the hell they liked and called it good enough. Specifically, it's a reference to the issue of an artist not understanding what a card was supposed to be and drawing something else and them just using it anyway. In particular, the Hyalopterous Lemure where the artist confused the words "lemure" (a type of ghost) and "lemur".

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I was looking forward to getting this signed one day.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Future Card Buddyfight has an entire class of monsters that are historical figures and public domain characters riding dragons. I really like the Red Baron's biplane dragon.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

Future Card Buddyfight has an entire class of monsters that are historical figures and public domain characters riding dragons. I really like the Red Baron's biplane dragon.

These are rad

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"Every page holds a month, every date a numeral" is a fantastic spot-on parody of overwrought Meaningful Portentous Flavor Text. Brilliant.

It's probably because my M:tG-playing days were so long ago and my current contact with the game is mostly Grandpa-Simpson-esque angry bewilderment, but I'm also nostalgic for the days when the art direction was looser and you had a wider variety of art on cards. A lot of it sucked, but you had stuff like the clean, uncluttered ink drawing on Roc of Kher Ridges, which was always one of my favorites:

The old-school Clockwork Beast being weird and evocative, instead of the modern Generic Epic-Fantasy Snoretown version:
vs

And on the subject of "striking visuals vs. generic modern M:tG art design":

vs.

I spent most of fifth grade doodling Melissa Benson's Nightmare on school worksheets. I had the t-shirt, dammit. What are today's dorky ten-year-olds possibly getting out of that dude on the right?

Antivehicular has a new favorite as of 23:27 on Jan 22, 2018

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

A high-power toolbox that can get way too huge for a 3-drop, add an extra mana, and find whatever utility lands you need, all in one card.

No funny lore or trivia, it's just really good and I love using it. :shobon:

this is why modern MTG art doesn't thrill me - if you have to blow up the card this big to see the detail, the detail is too small and fiddly

also the best, because small birds are best

even if they don't fly

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
This mother fucker right here:

I built a stupid deck around this dude, lure, and Gorilla Berserkers. It was amazing to pull this off in any kind of event, though usually I died because in addition to being a bad deck I'm a bad player.

Also I mean he's a goofy flying hippo.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
my buddy buys every one of those cards he finds for 1 dollar rach, he has put several thousand dollars into them last i heard.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm incredibly mature

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
From the pokemon TCG, i really like the art by Yuka Morii who makes little clay figurines of the pokemon and photographs them outside. They are real cute.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Huzzah! posted:

From the pokemon TCG, i really like the art by Yuka Morii who makes little clay figurines of the pokemon and photographs them outside. They are real cute.

Wow, these are great

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Gonna go ahead and post more Buddyfight ones, they're delightfully bonkers

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I’ve seen depictions of Abe Lincholn both with and without his top hat, but this is the first time I’ve seen him with a different hat. What is that, a bowler with a silk purple band?

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

A long time ago, I traded my friend's cherished limited edition Batman figurine to Ron Spencer in exchange for a hand-drawn Damnation play-mat. It's the last MTG thing I own.
Source:

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Tiggum posted:

This card reminds me of how much better Magic was when they basically just let artists do whatever the hell they liked and called it good enough. Specifically, it's a reference to the issue of an artist not understanding what a card was supposed to be and drawing something else and them just using it anyway. In particular, the Hyalopterous Lemure where the artist confused the words "lemure" (a type of ghost) and "lemur".

Best thing about Hyalopterous Lemure is that Hyalopterus means "with translucent wings", which means the artist loving nailed that bit then crashed and burned on the Lemure part.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Some of my favorite cards in Yu-Gi-Oh are the ones that show a clear effort on the part of the game designers to have mechanics inform the theme of the cards, and vice versa. Lets take these little bastards, the Ghostricks:

So these guys are cute Halloween type monsters. They have to come out on the field face down (spooky), and they're all about Tricking your opponent into attacking you directly with the Treat of dealing direct damage. Once they do however, all their combined effects slowly lock their monsters into face-down Defense position, at which point you flip your guys over (BOO!) and you can proceed to steamroll. As their name suggest, they have many many tricks up their sleeves and plenty of ways to defend themselves. Annoying as all hell to fight against.

Another great example are the new Magical Musketeers (I just put a deck of these guys together):

Themed as Wild West characters crossed with a German play about a marskman who sells his soul to the devil for 6 magic bullets. As long as you control a Magical Musketeer, you can play Magical Musket spells and traps from your hand (which is a big deal). They each have a secondary effect which triggers when any spell or trap is played in the same Column as them.

In other words, the Monsters are your gun, spells/traps are your bullets :black101:. Fiendish Deal up there also has a secondary meaning: it'll save your guy from death, but at a significant cost. A continuous trap doesn't leave the field, which means you lose one of your 5 "guns".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Antivehicular posted:

It's probably because my M:tG-playing days were so long ago and my current contact with the game is mostly Grandpa-Simpson-esque angry bewilderment, but I'm also nostalgic for the days when the art direction was looser and you had a wider variety of art on cards.
I must admit, the game rules are a lot better these days. Everything's much easier to understand and things tend to work consistently and intuitively. When I do play these days (which is rarely) I find new cards very easy to adjust to because of how much better they've gotten at designing them and making everything work together in a way that makes sense. I'll even acknowledge that damage not using the stack any more is a good change even if it does mean you can't do that thing where you have a creature assign combat damage and then sacrifice it for some other effect, which was my favourite trick.

But when it comes to the art, consistency is a terrible thing. Everything looks the same. I've got nothing against the style, it's just that any style would get boring when you use it for everything. People who started playing recently probably think the old cards look lovely and amateurish, or like they're all from different games, but I definitely prefer that bit of variety and the fact that you could recognise cards at a glance because they didn't all look like each other.

Also, they seem to have gone from "there is no story" through "there's a story, but it's optional and the cards are just designed around the setting" all the way to "the story comes first, the cards tie into it". If you're deeply invested then it's cool to see that, but for me it feels much shallower. It doesn't fuel your imagination like the old stuff does. Like, you'd see a card and you'd start wondering about how it fit in with the world suggested by the other cards in the set. These days it's basically spelled out for you how everything fits together.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Didn't Magic come out with these stupid powerful legends that were basically "punch your opponent in the face then pee on his deck"? They were these lovecraft monsters that needed mana of every color.

I kind of lost interest at that point.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Didn't Magic come out with these stupid powerful legends that were basically "punch your opponent in the face then pee on his deck"? They were these lovecraft monsters that needed mana of every color.

I kind of lost interest at that point.

They did do some lovecraftian horror type stuff but it was colorless, not every color, and yeah they were really powerful but they cost like a bajillion mana. Giant powerful monsters have never been the most overpowered thing in Magic. Power is stuff like Treasure Cruise or Deathrite Shaman. Things that are (or can be) cheap and do a lot relative to that price.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
the real gently caress You card in magic is all that counterspell stuff. big monsters aren't as annoying if when you play it the other guy says No You Don't for 2. I have no idea why there's so few MTG related stabbings

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

rumble in the bunghole posted:

the real gently caress You card in magic is all that counterspell stuff. big monsters aren't as annoying if when you play it the other guy says No You Don't for 2. I have no idea why there's so few MTG related stabbings

Eldrazi (prior mentioned lovecraft beasts) say hi.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=193452&type=card

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Annihilator is something retarded like "when this attacks the other guy sacrifices (number) of cards. gently caress you."

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Len posted:

Annihilator is something retarded like "when this attacks the other guy sacrifices (number) of cards. gently caress you."

And people thought slivers were mean.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sexual Aluminum posted:

And people thought slivers were mean.

New slivers aren't as much fun. Now they only work for your slivers instead of all slivers :(

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Tiggum posted:

I must admit, the game rules are a lot better these days. Everything's much easier to understand and things tend to work consistently and intuitively. When I do play these days (which is rarely) I find new cards very easy to adjust to because of how much better they've gotten at designing them and making everything work together in a way that makes sense. I'll even acknowledge that damage not using the stack any more is a good change even if it does mean you can't do that thing where you have a creature assign combat damage and then sacrifice it for some other effect, which was my favourite trick.

But when it comes to the art, consistency is a terrible thing. Everything looks the same. I've got nothing against the style, it's just that any style would get boring when you use it for everything. People who started playing recently probably think the old cards look lovely and amateurish, or like they're all from different games, but I definitely prefer that bit of variety and the fact that you could recognise cards at a glance because they didn't all look like each other.

Also, they seem to have gone from "there is no story" through "there's a story, but it's optional and the cards are just designed around the setting" all the way to "the story comes first, the cards tie into it". If you're deeply invested then it's cool to see that, but for me it feels much shallower. It doesn't fuel your imagination like the old stuff does. Like, you'd see a card and you'd start wondering about how it fit in with the world suggested by the other cards in the set. These days it's basically spelled out for you how everything fits together.

I have Strong Opinions about MtG, having played competitive magic for over a decade and casually for even longer.

I agree that the rules are generally better now. Even in Modern, it's pretty rare that something comes up that people can't resolve on their own, usually by means of intuition. Eternal formats do have some rules issues but that's usually due to weird old cards that don't mesh well with the current game rules. I do miss damage using the stack, but it absolutely should have changed. Getting blown out by some dumb unintuitive trick and calling a judge and getting explained that "yes, it works that way" was competitive Magic's version of hazing.

I also feel that when Magic moved towards a cohesive art style, the game got way less appealing to me. It was cool that you had artists like Rebecca Guay and Richard Kane Ferguson whose artwork could pass as real artwork, rather than just a depiction of some event. And I kind of dislike the way they've added a "story" in that same way, too. I'm not going to argue that all the old story on Dominaria isn't dumb as hell, but these days they write these ridiculous stories and then all the art and all the flavor text and such are just references to the story, and the whole thing is just mediocre. I really enjoyed when the game had the sort of Dark Souls appeal of having little bits of text that allude to things and you can kind of piece together the lore of the plane.

Also, people bitching about counterspells is what ruined Standard (or at least was the beginning of the end).

Perfect timing to actually post my favorite TCG card:

Every time I sleeve up a deck without Cryptic Command, it feels like I'm doing something wrong. Endlessly versatile, and you haven't truly mastered the art of blue mana until you've won a game off of all 6 possible combinations of modes.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
My choice would have to be either this;

Or perhaps;

Magikarp because I have a soft spot for him and eevee because the art is adorable.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I'm a big fan of any art by Rebecca Guay or Seb McKinnon. It's a shame the former doesn't match with Wizard's preferred art style these days.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I only play MTG casually (drafts with friends every few months), but Unstable was a hell of a lot of fun. I don't know any other card game that introduces sets of "gently caress it, make the absolute silliest, most fun cards we've always wanted to make as a joke".

So in order, a card that you need to sneak somewhere onto the battlefield when your opponent isn't looking, a card where everyone is forced to play their hand in exact order, and a card where the rules of the game literally no longer apply to you (although the trick being they DO still apply to the rules lawyer card but your opponent might overlook that if they don't rules lawyer hard enough). That draft was a crazy clusterfuck and I loved every minute of it.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Loving these. Wasn't there a M:tG card that required the player to rip it up and scatter it over the battlefield for the full effect?

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Antivehicular posted:

"Every page holds a month, every date a numeral" is a fantastic spot-on parody of overwrought Meaningful Portentous Flavor Text. Brilliant.

It's probably because my M:tG-playing days were so long ago and my current contact with the game is mostly Grandpa-Simpson-esque angry bewilderment, but I'm also nostalgic for the days when the art direction was looser and you had a wider variety of art on cards. A lot of it sucked, but you had stuff like the clean, uncluttered ink drawing on Roc of Kher Ridges, which was always one of my favorites:

The old-school Clockwork Beast being weird and evocative, instead of the modern Generic Epic-Fantasy Snoretown version:
vs

And on the subject of "striking visuals vs. generic modern M:tG art design":

vs.

I spent most of fifth grade doodling Melissa Benson's Nightmare on school worksheets. I had the t-shirt, dammit. What are today's dorky ten-year-olds possibly getting out of that dude on the right?

Yeah, the change in the art direction to the generic boring fantasy stuff after Ice Age is what completely turned me off from collecting M:TG. The early days were filled with awesome abstract and stylized artwork from artists like Drew Tucker, Quentin Hoover, Nene Thomas, etc. I still have a binder full of every Drew Tucker piece I could get my hands on at the time. Then they decided that artwork is dumb and lets just poo poo out an expansion every three weeks to keep numbers up...

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Radio Paranoia posted:

Loving these. Wasn't there a M:tG card that required the player to rip it up and scatter it over the battlefield for the full effect?

So there was a MtG card called Chaos orb that required you to drop it onto the table after paying its cost, and any cards that it touches are destroyed. There are stories (not sure if/how true) of players ripping the card into pieces before dropping it to ensure as many things got destroyed as possible.

So in the next Un- set, (the wacky crazy sets) they printed Chaos Confetti, which requires you to do that.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
There was also Blacker Lotus, which was a one-use version of the original.

My favourite Magic card remains Llanowar Elves because ooh, they're 1/1 for G and they tap like forests! Maybe this time I won't be playing some dick with a Blue deck!

90s Cringe Rock has a new favorite as of 21:58 on Jan 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Phthisis posted:

Also, people bitching about counterspells is what ruined Standard (or at least was the beginning of the end).

Perfect timing to actually post my favorite TCG card:

I hate everything you stand for, with respect. Best day of my (Magic related) life was when they decided the default cost of a hard counterspell was 1UU. Not sure if they reverted it or not since I've last played, but playing/liking blue is a sign of moral weakness.

Finding a Magic card I can consider my "favorite", that's tricky as poo poo. But in terms of sheer nostalgia and fun feelings, it'd have to be Flametongue Kavu:

I started playing in the Invasion block, and for some reason I loved Kavu. High cost, no real benefit to stuffing your deck with them, spread around the color wheel enough that you were hosed if you didn't get mana fixers, but God save me, I loved Kavu. Flametongue here is just the best out of all of them.

Oh, and not my favorite card by a long shot, but my partner has an honest to God 1UB tattoo because she was a degenerate Psychatog deck player. Interestingly enough, years later, she had the audacity to get mad at my white rear end for falling in love with Affinity decks.