Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Move over Nintendo Switch, a handheld solution for the PC gaming master race is here!

Yeah, that keyboard is not exactly ideal, but the real beauty of this portable is the full console style controls, including triggers and shoulder buttons!

What are the specs, you ask? This little PC packs a punch!

6 inch, 1280 x 720 pixel touchscreen display
Intel Core M3-7Y30 Kaby Lake processor with Intel HD 615 graphics
lntel HD Graphics 615
8GB of LPDDR3-1866 RAM
128GB M.2 2242 SSD
802.11ac WiFi
Bluetooth 4.2
USB 3.0 Type-C port
USB 3.0 Type-A port
micro HDMI
microSD card slot
3.5mm audio jack
Dual 4,900 mAh batteries (37.24 Wh total)
Stereo speakers
Dual vibration motors
162mm x 99mm x 25mm (6.4″ x 3.9″ x 1″)
460 grams (1 pound)

It won't be available to the public for a few months, but here's the indegogo link if you want to back it!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-win-2-handheld-game-console-for-aaa-games-laptop#/

Nintendo Switch? More like the Nintendo mark-rear end bitch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
hell yes

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
That hinge is gonna die.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Dennis System posted:

lntel HD Graphics 615

Oh boy!

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

quote:

For “Overwatch”, its framerate on menu screen is 120fps, 80fps when walking in the map, and a stable value of 50-70fps when in during matches, with an average of 83fps;

50fps is not bad at all, why are they making themselves seem like lovely liars by including the menu framerate in the average?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Windows 1/2 OS

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
nothing says screaming fast graphics like intel HD

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

scott zoloft posted:

nothing says screaming fast graphics like intel HD

have you tried the latest integrated graphics?

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQtEmsLPVDU

similar processing power

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
lmao

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
drat that's much better than I thought. :0

Woden
May 6, 2006

quote:

The fan has a dynamic speed ranging from 2000 to 8800rpm

:chanpop:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Mm-mmm what a lovely device :discourse:

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
what's the battery life like?

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Magius1337est posted:

what's the battery life like?

about 8 minutes, 6 with more demanding games

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
wow I can't wait to play knockoff Chinese shovelware on this for like two minutes before it gets too hot to hold

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
It's not their first device and the first one got decent reviews

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPD_Win

Normally reviews are worthless but it's not like Small Chinese Manufacturer is paying off these reviewers

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Breakfast Feud posted:

wow I can't wait to play knockoff Chinese shovelware on this for like two minutes before it gets too hot to hold

I have no idea how hot it gets, but it plays real PC games. I mean, it runs windows 10. (Although the integrated graphics is a little concerning.)

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Love to play pc games with Xbox controller

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!
Doesn't look very comfortable to hold. My hands hurt just looking at it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I would actually buy this if it were cheap and I decided to become a bikepacking hermit.

Wait no I wouldn't I'd just get a decent smartphone.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

The Dennis System posted:

M3-7Y30 Kaby Lake processor with Intel HD 61

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Guys we have this weird thing that'll take down the latest nintendo fad,

guys. come back.

You can use it to beat a Switch owner and rob em.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Observe Me posted:

Doesn't look very comfortable to hold. My hands hurt just looking at it.

Yeah where the controller section is seems so weird to me, how do you even hold that, like pinching around the joint with your thumbs on the buttons/sticks and the rest of the hand wrapped around the back?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Hell, I'd buy it to play poo poo like Diablo 2 and The Sims, if it's not too expensive

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Quoting from the Awful Kickstarters thread:

SubNat posted:

quote:

Runs AAA games

quote:

* Intel Core™ m3-7Y30
* lntel HD Graphics 615

:allears: For a certain definition of run, sure.

Checking notebook check, you can run such amazing games as:
Assassin's Creed Origins! at 7 fps on low + 1280x800
Doom 2016 at a whooping 13 fps! On low of course.
Farming Simulator 2017 can do 70fps though, on low.

And the most important part.

quote:

* Testing resolution: 1280×720. Unless otherwise stated, the game uses low special effects.

“Grand Theft Auto 5” maximum settings at 38fps;

They claim it can run GTAV

But according to notebookcheck ( https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-615.174029.0.html )
The exact same gpu could only run GTAV at 20fps, on low, at 1024x768.

They claim DOTA can do ' “DOTA2” maximum settings at 70fps; '
While notebookcheck claims 50-60fps on low. 12-25 on ultra.

Apparently this device is so amazing that despite getting shoved into a smaller form factor than a laptop, they somehow get nearly 2x as much performance out of a terrible integrated gpu as you would otherwise.
But what's this? " Complimenting the m3-7y30 CPU cores, the m3-7y30 also features 9th generation Intel® HD Graphics 615 with 24 EU execution units and a maximum dynamic frequency of 900MHz. "
Amazing, they get over 2x the performance, despite it only having 85% of the clockspeed compared to the notebookcheck benchmarks? ( 1050Mhz.)

Obviously an amazing bargain and a marvel of engineering. Not blatant misinformation at all.

I imagine it could be used as a portable emulator machine though, if you were to simply ignore any of the probably billions of android powered units that can do that, and are already on market.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Serak posted:

But according to notebookcheck ( https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-615.174029.0.html )

Apparently this device is so amazing that despite getting shoved into a smaller form factor than a laptop, they somehow get nearly 2x as much performance out of a terrible integrated gpu as you would otherwise.
But what's this? " Complimenting the m3-7y30 CPU cores, the m3-7y30 also features 9th generation Intel® HD Graphics 615 with 24 EU execution units and a maximum dynamic frequency of 900MHz. "
Amazing, they get over 2x the performance, despite it only having 85% of the clockspeed compared to the notebookcheck benchmarks? ( 1050Mhz.)

Obviously an amazing bargain and a marvel of engineering. Not blatant misinformation at all.

I imagine it could be used as a portable emulator machine though, if you were to simply ignore any of the probably billions of android powered units that can do that, and are already on market.
[/quote]

My OP was half-joking of course, however, there are youtube videos of a dude playing a lot of recent games at framerates well above 30fps (although at pretty low settings) including Doom 2016.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It's gonna be the N*Gage all over again

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Who What Now posted:

It's gonna be the N*Gage all over again

I kinda regret not buying one when they were $30.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Jose Oquendo posted:

I kinda regret not buying one when they were $30.

I hired in at GameStop right after they flopped and took home like twenty of them for free.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Serak posted:

[/quote]

I don't really trust any of the "poo poo on everything and dogpile everyone who might suggest something is only 99% poo poo instead of 100% poo poo" threads all over SA

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

feelix posted:

I don't really trust any of the "poo poo on everything and dogpile everyone who might suggest something is only 99% poo poo instead of 100% poo poo" threads all over SA

While I definitely understand the sentiment, Kickstarter and it's ilk are generally a non-stop barrel of scams, misleading claims, exaggerations and incompetence and there are no shortage of examples as to why you should view any claims made - especially for a device that may not physically exist in it's final production-ready form yet - with skepticism.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Still waiting on the upcoming release of the new slick Phantom video game console

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
GPD is a surprisingly not-lovely company for the products they make, which is shocking because it's some random Chinese outfit. I have the GPD XD and it's been fantastic for its quality. I was bummed that I got my XD soon before news of the XD+ is being released, which should be capable of playing PS2 games. Anyway, as far as emulation goes, it's the best handheld device for it now, and it plugs right into your TV and you can use it as a console. No set up required except for pressing a couple buttons.

https://www.gpdxd.com/product/gpd-xd-gamepad-black-16g/

https://www.gpdxd.com/shop/

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Who What Now posted:

I hired in at GameStop right after they flopped and took home like twenty of them for free.

look at this guy making his mom throw out his bag of ngages

they'd be a pretty good trick-or-treat favor though

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:wth: <- That's me reading this thread, OP

whoaaaaaaaaa hjoly poo poo

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

feelix posted:

50fps is not bad at all, why are they making themselves seem like lovely liars by including the menu framerate in the average?

The average overwatch player spends approximately 55% of their playtime looking at Tracer's rear end in various costumes in the character menu, so it is an important metric.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtos2G44gTQ

Here's a spec nerd review of the Win2. Dude says he's getting 40 WPM when typing on that, lol. It looks much better than the Win. I like my XD a lot, but I am not sure I could go for a WIN2.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

it looks like it could run last gen games which is p cool if it's not too expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

[/quote]

you've clearly never experienced the rapturous joy of a good hinge joke

• Locked thread