Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Hey fellow goons, I'm hoping some of you can help me out with trying to find a solution for this issue:

I am currently involved with my states Disability Caucus. As part of our work, we have been asked to provide a proposal to the statewide Democratic Party on a solution for allowing remote participation in caucus events, conventions, and elections by those who are unable to attend in person due to their disability. Unfortunately, we aren't the most tech savvy bunch, and since there are security requirements that would prevent just using something like Periscope for this, I was hoping someone here could give some advice.

Ideally what we need is some kind of software solution that allows for livestreaming of a meeting or event to a large number of individuals, while allowing for instantly updated voting on things such as motions, candidates, etc. But we would require some kind of security settings that would only allow registered members of the state party or the caucus to participate, in order to prevent outside groups from attempting to bum rush the vote fraudulently.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Just throwing this out there, but I’d use YouTube or twitch for the streaming portion then embed that in a custom made website with voting controls.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Perplx posted:

Just throwing this out there, but I’d use YouTube or twitch for the streaming portion then embed that in a custom made website with voting controls.

Issue is these people are at best REALLY bad at computers. Your best bet may be a combination of mailed out PIN CODE coupon cards, and a call in line, where you get a nice generic phone tree that asks for your ID NUMBER and PIN CODE and then gives you a Press 1 for Dave McJerkface and Press 2 for Sally McMeanface and press 3 for Other person wherein they're given the opportunity to say the name of the candidate, and some poor intern gets to transcribe them to valid candidates.

Bonus points, as a Disability Caucus thingy, you can have your 1-800 number be teletype certified with extra operators to handle the few people who can't hear and/or speak and who need the extra support.

Edit: I do election stuff for work often enough, PM me of you wanna bounce ideas.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

WebEx probably up to 1000 attendees .

Live-streaming scales past that but for a voting platform I am not sure. I’d figure you’d want that to have security as well where a survey monkey survey wouldn’t be sufficient .

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
WebEx might be able to stream to 1k (although I've never personally seen it work that well) but if you want only verified participants to be able to vote you're going to want a telephony bridge solution with live operators monitoring and administering the polling. How large are we talking? I'd say past 100 or so you'll definitely be wanting a full-service solution just because of how much of a pain in the rear end it is to moderate a conference with voting, especially if you're a speaker.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
https://fi.somethingawful.com/customtitles/title-mrfreeze.gifhttps://fi.somethingawful.com/customtitles/title-mrfreeze.gif

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It's a solution but SAF, their promo screenshot is the software looking at it's best :lol:

http://business.nasdaq.com/intel/communications/webcasting/index.html

• Locked thread