Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I mean this in a metaphorical sense, are they merely products that only provide a single type of entertainment? Or are they meant to be appreciated as a type of artform similar to music, movies, or tv shows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

SA Support Robot posted:

Reported by: Ponies Ist Krieg
User Comments / Explanation: Way too many threads at once. He is such a bad poster I signed up after years of not having a account just to report him.

Potential forum abuse by: Magius1337est
Forum: <a href="/forumdisplay.php?forumid=273">GBS: Home of xenForo 2.0</a>
Thread: Affirmative action bake sale

Offending Post:
<iframe src="/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=478178146&simple=1" width="90%" height="230"></iframe>
<p>
<a href="postings.php?action=filerep&act=1&threadid=3843679">Move to Resolved</a>
<a href="postings.php?action=filerep&act=2&threadid=3843679">Move to Misc.</a>
<a href="postings.php?action=filerep&act=3&threadid=3843679">Move to Bullshit</a>

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Bideo Gabes are the purest form of art known to man.
Better than music. Better than television. Better even than anime.
A perfect fusion of all mediums in one. An unending vision of flawless joy.
In your naivite, in your complete idiocy, your absolute stupidity, you could never appreciate this.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
In a word, yes.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Some are just games, full stop. Some are games mixed with bad art and some, like walking simulators, aren’t games at all but are just bad art.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Define toy.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Big Beef City posted:

Bideo Gabes are the purest form of art known to man.
Better than music. Better than television. Better even than anime.
A perfect fusion of all mediums in one. An unending vision of flawless joy.
In your naivite, in your complete idiocy, your absolute stupidity, you could never appreciate this.

true, while movies may incorporate art and sound, video games also add immersion and experience to the list

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Are toys Art?

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

amusinginquiry posted:

Are toys Art?

blew my mind

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
its a game, not art. wether games are toys or not or if toys are games, idk

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Yes.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Yes they are toys. Next question.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Y

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
Toys for all ages, yes.

Sweet new avatar, Pick. :coal:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Everything is toys, except food and shelter.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Magius1337est posted:

I mean this in a metaphorical sense, are they merely products that only provide a single type of entertainment? Or are they meant to be appreciated as a type of artform similar to music, movies, or tv shows?

No, Mom. They are a new form of media! And neither are my collectable action figures. Don't come in my room anymore!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
im a toy boy

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Magius1337est posted:

Are you defining toy as something that only provides a single type of entertainment because I dont think ive ever heard that definition before

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Meme Emulator posted:

Are you defining toy as something that only provides a single type of entertainment because I dont think ive ever heard that definition before

a single use "product" who's only feature is that it provides simple entertainment, not something to be enjoyed as a medium or relevance to society

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Magius1337est posted:

a single use "product" who's only feature is that it provides simple entertainment, not something to be enjoyed as a medium or relevance to society

According to this definition video games as a whole would be a medium but every individual video game is a toy

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Actually maybe not. Thats a bad interpretation

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
I would say that they are the lowest form of art, op.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ok heres a new question: At what point would you draw a line between a toy and a musical instrument? Would an inflatable baby piano that can play five notes count as a toy, or as a tool for expression

pap smear
Jan 21, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I would say they are the highest form of art OP

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Meme Emulator posted:

Ok heres a new question: At what point would you draw a line between a toy and a musical instrument? Would an inflatable baby piano that can play five notes count as a toy, or as a tool for expression

Can playing it get you laid?

pap smear
Jan 21, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Universe Master posted:

Can playing it get you laid?

anything can get you laid if you're handsome and charming enough.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Meme Emulator posted:

The line is here.

*points 5 inches in front of flaccid penis*

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

they are

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

In my personal opinion video games are games, and theyre different from most other forms of media. Theyre better compared to Football, Sudoku or Hopscotch. Would you call any of those things art? or Toys? I wouldnt.

pap smear
Jan 21, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
This thread makes me want to commit sudoku

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Meme Emulator posted:

In my personal opinion video games are games, and theyre different from most other forms of media. Theyre better compared to Football, Sudoku or Hopscotch. Would you call any of those things art? or Toys? I wouldnt.

does football have a narrative story?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

That hasnt stopped video game companies from making 6 hour long animated movies, sticking 30 minutes of game inside of it, and trying to tell us the wierd rear end mismash is art

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Magius1337est posted:

have you watched the Super Bowl these past few years?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Magius1337est posted:

I mean, sort of. Right now the patriots are dominating and nobody cares about football anymore because that particular "storyline" is lovely

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Music, movies and tv shows are toys in that they are childish distractions from reading your Bible

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was a boy toy for desperate Navy women in Meridian Miss back in the mid 80's

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

pap smear posted:

anything can get you laid if you're handsome and charming enough.

Or if you lower your standards enough. What does a girl look like that gets turned on by a dude playing video games? I’m sure someone on here can rummage up a few pics.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
music, movies, and tv shows are toys too

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL07_xqlcS4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
games are not art, and video art is the worst kind of art, therefore video games are the worst kind of not art

• Locked thread