Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Crystal Heart in chapter 6 is my favorite puzzle yet.

I have no idea where the one in 5 could be though. I found the others if anyone wants hints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I came home late last night but still wanted to play and decided I’d give 2B a shot before bed.

I went to sleep around 4am :cry:

goferchan posted:

Yeah I beat The End Is Nigh on Switch and it wasn't that bad but doing all the diagonal inputs in this game with the worst d pad in the world is loving painful
I’ve been using analog cause I can’t do direction changes as quick on the joycon dpad buttons...so many missed diagonal dashes. I miss the old octogates. If I had a 3D printer I’d try to rig up some dpad button topper...but since I don’t now I’m thinking of buying another set of joycons and doing that dpad case swap/mod.

(...and it’d be an excuse to get new different colored joycons)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Regy Rusty posted:

The Crystal Heart in chapter 6 is my favorite puzzle yet.

I have no idea where the one in 5 could be though. I found the others if anyone wants hints.

what checkpoint section is 6 in ? I missed it the first time and don't wanna run through the whole thing again since there aren't any berries. Also yeah 5 is the only other one where I don't have a clue where the heart is

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

goferchan posted:

what checkpoint section is 6 in ? I missed it the first time and don't wanna run through the whole thing again since there aren't any berries. Also yeah 5 is the only other one where I don't have a clue where the heart is

It's in Hollows.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Chapter 2B finished. 91 deaths. That was a satisfying challenge!

edit: Just realized I have 30 more deaths in chapter 3 normal because in the story sections I keep throwing myself into dangerous spots just in case there's something hidden.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
Welp. I got to chapter 2 and the "evil twin" started copying my movement. Enter room with 4 blue keys. That was one hell of a difficulty spike while I'm still failing ~30% of the jumps without that added stress. After many many many attempts that's where I broke down and had to put on the Assist mode for the rest of the chapter. This game is hard and I'm not good at precision 2D platforming. :(

Really nice soundtrack though!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The end of Chapter 6 was amazing.... and then chapter 7 starts and holy poo poo the music

I'm so pumped

E: THIS GAME IS loving INCREDIBLE :supaburn:

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 26, 2018

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

After a long streak of playing like total rear end I got 27/31 strubbies on Chapter 5. :masterofstrubs:

...but 362 Madelines were sacrificed for the cause. I am not awaited in videogame valhalla. :negative:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

missing the second to last strawberry in the mirror temple depths. Taking a break cause I have a headache but I'm not proceeding until I have that last berry...

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Autonomous Monster posted:

After a long streak of playing like total rear end I got 27/31 strubbies on Chapter 5. :masterofstrubs:

...but 362 Madelines were sacrificed for the cause. I am not awaited in videogame valhalla. :negative:

Deaths are a prize you earn!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Autonomous Monster posted:

The game itself disagrees

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 26, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah I'll use a hint token for the Chapter 2 and 3 Crystal Hearts if ya'll have found em yet

Lamquin posted:

Welp. I got to chapter 2 and the "evil twin" started copying my movement. Enter room with 4 blue keys. That was one hell of a difficulty spike while I'm still failing ~30% of the jumps without that added stress. After many many many attempts that's where I broke down and had to put on the Assist mode for the rest of the chapter. This game is hard and I'm not good at precision 2D platforming. :(

Really nice soundtrack though!
This moment was so good! Report back with how Assist Mode is, the variables seem interesting to mess with

I had a lot of fun with our new friend tho
https://twitter.com/RosePrinceTrey/status/956727814153158656

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

For Chapter 2, assuming you saw where it is in the real world, you have to find way to get there in the dream, if you haven't it's fairly easy to find once you are out of the nightmare just explore a bit.

For Chapter 3, The path to it is blocked by books but is also inaccessible if you continue forward after removing the books.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Zaggitz posted:

For Chapter 3, The path to it is blocked by books but is also inaccessible if you continue forward after removing the books.
Finding this on my own felt great. It's really impressive that they put Metroid-style secret hunting into a game with no character upgrades (AFAIK).

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
This game owwwwnnnnsssss. I got to chapter 2 last night, shaking off the rust of several years away from platformers, and as soon as I get home I'm going for at least chapter 3.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Good lord chapter 7 just blew me away. Everything about it was phenomenal

The last 30 meters as it checkpointed and counted down... what a brilliant touch.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I had to stop playing because my thumb hurt. I hope I didn't just give myself a blister.

I'm not great at stuff like this -- SMB was way beyond me, f'r'ex. I really enjoyed Knytt Underground, though, and was hoping that Celeste would be more like that, a series of challenges that might take a while to overcome but aren't beyond the limits of my skill. So far, it's exactly like that. "Just breathe, you can do this" is very apt.

Tomorrow, maybe, thumb permitting: on to Chapter 3!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

SeXReX posted:

yeah the first time I saw that I knew immediately what I had to do and marked out like a manchild watching his favorite wrestler win the belt

I just found this and had the same experience.

I sat on the block crouching and after a couple seconds thought "okay maybe I'm just being silly" but then it worked.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'm at the final chapter, missing a berry in chap 5, the penultimate one in the depths, and the cassette for chap 6. If anyone has any tips for these i'd really appreciate it.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
It didn't occur to me that chapter 8 would have a B-side for some reason. Fortunately the game is protecting what's left of my controller because I am far from being able to enter.

Game is good.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Just finished chapter one. Died 75 times but I found 17/20 strubs and a casette? I think I missed some of the berries because I wasn't aware which decisions would lock in my route. Feels good so far. Controls are fine but take a little getting used to. Not because they're complicated, but because it's easy to somehow gently caress up the dash and R1 in the heat of the moment. I blame SMB for being more simple in its controls.

I already noticed something that suggested there was a doorway out of reach by conventional means. Since I read that there are no upgrades, I'm guessing there's some sort of finesse to the controls I've not discovered yet and discovering said finesse is essentially the substitute for upgrades. If so that is clever design.

Going to sleep for now but eager to continue. This is a Good Game so far.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
That door in chapter 1 requires a bit of finesse yeah that sign with the arrow on it should be taken even more literally than you think

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/IntelligenTom/status/957100319611080704

How do I get into that room?

Edit: I figured it out. :)

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 27, 2018

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
You guys, Celeste is so good. It's so good. I just finished the Chapter 2 B-Side and it's the most accomplished I've felt in a game in ages.

But Rocks Hurt Head fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 27, 2018

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

Good lord chapter 7 just blew me away. Everything about it was phenomenal

The last 30 meters as it checkpointed and counted down... what a brilliant touch.

It was loving epic lol. I didn't expect this to be a good feels game on top of being such a good platformer

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The Manticore posted:

It didn't occur to me that chapter 8 would have a B-side for some reason. Fortunately the game is protecting what's left of my controller because I am far from being able to enter.

Game is good.

I'm so excited to see it and now only 4 B-sides stand in my way . Also regarding the hearts did anyone else notice that you can rearrange their order on the journal screen that shows you the collection? Given their weird names that all feel like lines of poetry I'm pretty sure there's gonna be some puzzle involved in arranging all 16 in a specific way

edit: also the mechanics in Chapter 8 are awesome. it's really cool how they get so much extra mileage out of TAKING AWAY your abilities, not giving you new ones. The parts where you're rapidly switching between fire world and ice world to stave off the moving floor/ceiling are so cool too

goferchan fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 27, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Zaggitz posted:

For Chapter 2, assuming you saw where it is in the real world, you have to find way to get there in the dream, if you haven't it's fairly easy to find once you are out of the nightmare just explore a bit.

Thanks! Got the Chapter 2's but man Chapter 3's is still stumping me.

I see it and that's the worst part

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's a good one, I replayed that area over and over to get it. Ended up really appreciating how no matter what order you do the 3 zones in, they'll always get progressively harder thanks to the disappearing clutter from the other sections you cleared -- pretty clever

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011
God @goferchan, you really powered through this if you're that far along. I got it like the hour it was released, and I've only just finished chapter 7. Going back now to get all the collectibles, then gonna tackle the rest of the b sides and see what happens. Haven't spoiled myself from the thread yet, so I'm sure I'm looking forward to some real head scratchers.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Wow I didn't think about the areas might change based on what clutter you cleared, I just went from highest to lowest

Thought I solved the Chapter 3 Heart but I totally didn't! Gah!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Just don't rush when you're in the section of the level (with the laundry or whatever?) where you can see the heart. Once you leave you can't get back in so explore really thoroughly

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Expect My Mom posted:

Wow I didn't think about the areas might change based on what clutter you cleared, I just went from highest to lowest

You need to carefully observe the layout and think about what will happen when you clear the towels. Once you do you can figure out what logically you must have to find.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I beat the game. Extremely loving good and I can't wait to go back in tomorrow to clean up the summit and try and find that last chapter 5 berry before hopping into chapter 8.

Expect My Mom posted:

sometimes the way to go when we want to achieve our goals is not forwards.

but back.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Okay I am drunk rn and this is a lot, but I swear, I'll solve this riddle

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I believe in you. It's not even a super complicated or puzzley heart, just a test of observation & exploration

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah got it!! I could've sworn I checked all the waterfalls, they all looked super conspicuous but we good

thank you all for your energy

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Expect My Mom posted:

Yeah got it!! I could've sworn I checked all the waterfalls, they all looked super conspicuous but we good

thank you all for your energy

:hai:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
God, it's been years since a game made my hands hurt. Game's amazing enough that I'm gonna keep playing through the pain though :toot:

I "finished" the game earlier this evening, but there's still so much to do! I'm working my way through the B-Sides now. These things don't gently caress around.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

God, it's been years since a game made my hands hurt. Game's amazing enough that I'm gonna keep playing through the pain though :toot:

You should take a break lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

People on Steam forums are reaaaaaal salty that you can unlock all the achievements etc using assist mode lol. I'm not gonna use assist mode in Celeste but I respect the devs philosophy in implementing it