Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
##vote Gene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 6

GeneX (5): Bifauxnen, Asphyxious, Natural 20, IllegallySober, Asiina
Asiina (3): Your Personal Muse, GeneX, Truth Quark, Anomalous Amalgam, Truth Quark, Anomalous Amalgam, Truth Quark
Mithross (0): Asphyxious, Asphyxious, Asphyxious, Natural 20, Anomalous Amalgam, Anomalous Amalgam, Natural 20, Asphyxious
Anomalous Amalgam (0): Asphyxious, Bifauxnen, Asphyxious, Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, Natural 20, Bifauxnen, Natural 20
Asphyxious (0): Anomalous Amalgam, Anomalous Amalgam

Not Voting (3): Anomalous Amalgam, Juchero, Mithross

With 11 alive, it's 6 votes to execute. The current deadline is February 19th, 2018 at 11:30 p.m. EST -- that's in about 1 hour, 46 minutes.

The mini game today will be a card game.

Everyone will receive two cards from a standard 52 card deck. One card will be visible, while one is private. You may trade your visible card with anyone else in the thread, by using the action ##trade. Both parties must agree to the trade in order for it to take place. Once the day ends, the cards held will be locked into place. Whomever gets closest to 22 without going over will win. Jacks are 11, Queen 12, King 13, Aces 1 or 14. In the event of a tie, a tiebreaker will be done privately by the mod

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Bifauxnen posted:

even I think youre being way too melodramatic

Here's the deal:
I'm annoyed because I've played well, I'm being lynched because of the presumption that I haven't, and that's just kinda poo poo.

##vote GeneX

See y'all on the other side.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

GeneX posted:

Here's the deal:
I'm annoyed because I've played well, I'm being lynched because of the presumption that I haven't, and that's just kinda poo poo.

##vote GeneX

See y'all on the other side.

:eyepop:

Votecount for Day 6

GeneX (6): Bifauxnen, Asphyxious, Natural 20, IllegallySober, Asiina, GeneX
Asiina (2): Your Personal Muse, GeneX, Truth Quark, Anomalous Amalgam, Truth Quark, Anomalous Amalgam, Truth Quark, GeneX
Mithross (0): Asphyxious, Asphyxious, Asphyxious, Natural 20, Anomalous Amalgam, Anomalous Amalgam, Natural 20, Asphyxious
Anomalous Amalgam (0): Asphyxious, Bifauxnen, Asphyxious, Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, Natural 20, Bifauxnen, Natural 20
Asphyxious (0): Anomalous Amalgam, Anomalous Amalgam

Not Voting (3): Anomalous Amalgam, Juchero, Mithross

With 11 alive, it's 6 votes to execute. The current deadline is February 19th, 2018 at 11:30 p.m. EST -- that's in about 1 hour, 37 minutes.

The mini game today will be a card game.

Everyone will receive two cards from a standard 52 card deck. One card will be visible, while one is private. You may trade your visible card with anyone else in the thread, by using the action ##trade. Both parties must agree to the trade in order for it to take place. Once the day ends, the cards held will be locked into place. Whomever gets closest to 22 without going over will win. Jacks are 11, Queen 12, King 13, Aces 1 or 14. In the event of a tie, a tiebreaker will be done privately by the mod

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
KB was mad about that too

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Twilight till people respond to me about materia.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
where LP?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
:ghost: I may be dead, but flerp flipped first :ghost:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

CapitalistPig posted:

Twilight till people respond to me about materia.

And then LP until tomorrow, right? Open nights?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

IllegallySober posted:

And then LP until tomorrow, right? Open nights?

yah

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
After a little bit of driving we find a tiny village..

Which turns out to be Nibelheim! I’m pretty amped about this because one of the FEW facts I know about FF7 is “you get Vincent in the basement of Shinra mansion”. The place looks pretty different after the fire, a lot more white and stony.

It’s also filled with Sephiroths weird lumpy fan club. On top of that, everyone gets SUPER pissed if you mention the fire, and Cloud and Tifa spend the whole time calling everyone liars. It’s pretty fun actually and now I’m invested in whatever the gently caress actually happened 5 years ago.

Okay this is already more complex than I thought it would be! I thought I just had to wander down there but apparently he’s behind a locked door, the key’s in a safe, and the combination is hidden around the mansion. Sounds fun.

Aww yiss.

Aww yiss.

gently caress.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
All winners have their materia.

Genex - Reno - Turks Aligned Jailer had the plate dropped on him on day 6

You are Reno

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Reno

You are a Turks aligned Jailer and win when the turks control the vote.

The Counter Materia, and The Mime Materia fade out of existence.

It is now Night 6!

Get actions in before 11:30PM Eastern tomorrow.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I thought at this point that by meeting Sephiroth I’d missed out on unlocking Vincent as this game seems big on shutting off areas/having to grab items on the first pass. But I’m not savescumming and just kinda letting things fall as they are, so I just pressed on.

Sephiroth talks about the great Reunion and (I think) the restoration of Jenova. He also refers to Jenova as coming “from the sky”, which Cloud helpfully points out means she’s probably not one of the Cetra. Not sarcastic, I wouldn’t have worked that out.

I really wish I’d got a screenshot of what happens next, because after deeming me unworthy he ditches a materia at me then pops up into the air like a harrier jet and just nyooooooooom flies off. Everything else about this sequence has had so much mystery and atmosphere, but Sephiroth kind of ruins it here by going 100% goofy.

The mansion is not however destroyed from this encounter so I assume I can still probably unlock Vincent and go back to clue hunting.

So here’s thing. Doing the safe puzzle on the phone took 45 minutes. Tapping the D-pad would jump from anywhere between 1-3 numbers each way, and the whole thing became as much about luck as anything else. At the time I was like “this is the most frustrating thing to happen in this game” but that has since been superseded twice.

So we open the safe (eventually) and this thing pops out:

Which Cait Sith basically then one-shots with his limit break, confirming his status as the best character ever.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Following Sephiroth to Mt Nibel gets us at a pipe puzzle (naturally) where I jump down one of the pipes straight away (of course) and find myself stuck at the bottom (wonderful)

ALWAYS a good sign when you can see the monster on the field map. Here goes!

beavis and butthead laughing intensifies

Very straightforward boss fight, but here’s one of the big reveals of the game for me; Vincent being the “spooky gun badass” I figured his limit break would be basically like Irvine’s from FF8 but maybe a bit more “Devil May Cry”-esque? Instead:

:wtc:

This is Amazing they managed to encapsulate all of FF7’s batshit tonal insanity into one character. I’m hoping this gets even vaguely explained at some point, but I was not prepared for “oh yeah he’s also a monster now”. Great stuff.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
:ghost: I highly, highly suggest that you look up The Dark Id's LP of Dirge of Cerberus whenever you finish this playthrough. It's all about your wonderful moody pal. :ghost:

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

So we pop out on the world map again, and I’m like “hang on, didn’t Sephiroth say to meet him on/near the mountain? Have I hosed up?” but figured I’d have a poke around anyway.

So we end up here, Rocket Town! There’s a nice shop that lets me upgrade all my gear, but also!

A rocket to climb! But also!

Nope that’s it, climb the rocket, climb back down the rocket, literally gently caress all else to do. The NPCs say there’s nothing to do there and they haven’t seen Sephiroth at all. Guess I’m not meant to be here yet.

Well that was a big fat waste of time.

Clearly I’m meant to be back here, at Mt. Nibel... :suicide:

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Join me, on a journey of discovery!

This place was of pretty huge significance, surely this is where I’m meant to be!

*clicks on or around the materia eleventy billion times*

No? Okay, well then clearly I’ll confront Sephiroth HERE:

Really?! This seems like the most obvious place! Where the gently caress am I even meant to be?

I’m stuck in one handful of locations because I can’t get back to the pipes, so instead I go:

- halfway up Mt. Nibel
- into a bunch of dead ends
- some caves
- jumping off some ledges into more dead ends that just make me have to backtrack even further

Then I notice this:

This tiiiiiiny door then leads back to the pipes! And I can use the pipes to obviously get to a new place!! FINALLY!!

.... except they don’t. So... wait, does that mean I’m meant to be...

Rocket Towwwwwwwwwwwwn!!! :argh:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

:ghost: I hope you're ready to meet the single best character in the whole f$%king game :ghost:

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

So to move the story along you have to go into a backyard you don’t even know is there and look at a plane, in a place so unconnected to the main story that none of the NPCs know what you’re talking about. What a pain in the arse. Also Cloud has a pretty dubious concept of what “Cool” is.

Things I didn’t know: Cid is a playable character. I thought he was an NPC in this. Well maybe if he’s a cool guy he’ll make it into the team!

Welp never mind. We get a flashback of how Cid was almost the first Astronaut but one, Shinra pulled funding out of space travel to invest heavily in planet killing, and two, he has the most psychotically abusive relationship with his incredibly dense engineering assistant.

Keen to know how this was received at the time, because seeing this story now and the relationship they have I’m just left thinking Christ what a pair of miserable loving arseholes and not having an ounce of sympathy for either. Shera’s willingness to just loving die for literally no reason combined with Cid being a huge turd to everyone meant I couldn’t wait to get out of there.

I asked to borrow his dumb plane and he told us to get hosed.

Shinra then shows to, and Cid thinks they’re there to restart the space programme. This guy is just there to be comically fat.

Protip: he’s gonna tell you to get hosed.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

While Cid is getting pissed off at Rufus, his fat gross idiot friend is off trying to steal the Bronco.

I eat bosses for breakfast mate, this won’t end well for you.

He keeps slapping his arse and doing these dumb wiggles, I just spent a whole day walking backwards and forwards across a mountain and this still feels more like padding.

.. then he gets hit by a truck. One of his own trucks. For no reason. I guess explanation would take away from the purity of this comedy. I think all the weird anger in the earlier scenes means I’m in just no mood for this.

A daring escape on the Bronco, but it’s tail gets shot out and it’s goung to crash!

Adrift in the ocean, Cid agrees to join the party to get back at Rufus, and Cloud wants to follow Sephiroth to somewhere called the Temple of the Ancients. The Bronco can’t fly but it makes an alright raft, so Cloud asks which way they should go next.

Fine! I will! I pull up onto the nearest beach and take two steps forward, when-

... Yuffie steals all of our Materia and runs off, leaving us in the middle of nowhere :saddowns:

I feel like Rocket Town was added afterwards. It feels like it’s very awkwardly shoehorned into the main questline and everything in it feels very paper thin and cynical. There is nothing in Cid’s story or character that would make the cast want to spend any time with him, and the way nothing is connected to Sephiroth plus Shinra appearing out of nowhere just makes the whole thing feel very very flat. I feel like it all would have worked better had Cid been completely optional and this was another missable encounter ala Yuffie.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Cid can't be optional because he is your source for all of your vehicles. Your airship will come from him eventually. I don't think that's much of a spoiler.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Asphyxious posted:

he has the most psychotically abusive relationship with his incredibly dense engineering assistant.

Shera’s willingness to just loving die for literally no reason

Hot

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Asiina posted:

Cid can't be optional because he is your source for all of your vehicles. Your airship will come from him eventually. I don't think that's much of a spoiler.

Yeah I think Cid has mentioned his airship a few times now.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Luckily the way I’ve been playing is very physical attack focused but holy hell am I missing my heals now.

Also it turns out Vincent is TWO monsters!

We arrive in the town of Wutai, where Yuffie is hiding with all our stuff. Confirming my worst fears, even when we get more Materia she just pops out of nowhere and pinches it.

Aha!

aHA!

I’m a huge sucker for Wutai’s design honestly. Like this whole arrangement sucks arse but it’s a VERY pretty town.

Wow, this is significantly easier than I thought it was going to be! I mean it was pretty annoying but not life ruining or anything.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Look, I’m a fan of Yuffie (or I was) but I’m with Cloud 100% on this one. Sure, Wutai isn’t famous or prosperous any more since Shinra ruined everything but that’s true for LITERALLY EVERYWHERE. Like everyone else is living in a post apocalyptic mud puddle, and they’re not going out of their way to gently caress everyone over.

OH MY GOD SO FAKE. Nice loving try Yuffie, I’m seeing right through your poo poo. I’m pulling the RIGHT lever.

:shrek:

Again, this mission sucks but the setting? *kissy fingers*

Yuffie tricks us again and runs off giving a hint that it’s behind something “steel”.

This turns out to be a traditional Gong which were almost universally bronze or brass but gently caress me I guess.

Once we get to the secret stash, it turns out Yuffie has been kidnapped! Bitter irony! But who could have done such a thing??

Literally the person I am least excited to see return to this game.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Asphyxious posted:

Literally the person I am least excited to see return to this game.

Lol, I remember getting to this and going "you again?!?"

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

OH! The Turks are there too!! I forgot to mention, they’re on holiday from doing bugger all, and have no plans to engage with Cloud and co.

And Corneo also captures Elena, because of his weird Selecting fetish.

Corneo sics a dragon on us called Bapps or Brapps, I can’t remember. Either way this fight is rough as guts and incredibly nervewracking all things considered. After everything that’s happened leading up to this my nerves are shot and I just want to move on with my life. I think I see why no one likes Yuffie. The obnoxious attitude is one thing, the stealing materia is another, but locking you into this mission is unforgivable.

You and me both mate.

So with his Dragon defeated, Corneo threatens to drop both women to their deaths.

The Turks come along and stop him, and I believe (hope. God I hope) kill him.

The Turks are told to bring Cloud in for Shinra, and they state again they’re on vacation, and the team gets a pass.

Yuffie then returns the party’s materia, but in a final gently caress you jumbles it randomly among each member.

And that’s us up to date so far! This whole section has been a slog and a half and I’m not entirely sure where to go from here but I’m sure I’ll work it out. Also with how this game’s been, I’m sure there’s some fantastic adventures just around the corner!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Asphyxious posted:

And that’s us up to date so far! This whole section has been a slog and a half and I’m not entirely sure where to go from here but I’m sure I’ll work it out. Also with how this game’s been, I’m sure there’s some fantastic adventures just around the corner!

I grabbed it on iPhone and started my own re-playthrough too for old time's sake I'm like an hour in!

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

IllegallySober posted:

I grabbed it on iPhone and started my own re-playthrough too for old time's sake I'm like an hour in!

Aww hell yeah!

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

So I jump back in the Bronco and basically just zip off in whatever direction until I see somewhere I haven’t been before, because I can’t remember where the Temple of the Ancients is meant to be. I come across a tiny house and figure eh why not, and as it turns out..

..the sole occupant of the tiny house is all ABOUT that temple! He says you need a keystone to get in, and that he used to have that very stone (!!) but that he sold it.

.. to Dio!! :neckbeard: I knew this couldn’t be my last appearance!! So I head off back to the Gold Saucer, but I spot something interesting along the way..

I also switched back to the Buggy, the thinking man’s vehicle.

The Turks are there, and they’re like “we knew you were coming here so we laid an ambush” which I thought was terribly impressive since I myself didn’t realise I was coming here at all. We fight and they leave, claiming that despite their thrashing, they’re still victorious.

Thanks to this game (mafia) I know that spy is Cait Sith, but I love him anyway. I’d still rather have him on my team over Yuffie or Cid :colbert:

It’s a ruined old Mako reactor, and a tiny village next to it. In the village a couple ask me about a SOLDIER called Zack and Tifa freaks out hardcore. We decide to get a closer look at the reactor.

This is both the cutest AND the most awesome monster design in this game. What a loving treat to see this thing. Feeling blessed.

We eavesdrop on Scarlet talking to the Turks about how she needs BIG HUGE MATERIA to make BIG HUGE WEAPONS and I’m like cool whatever but then she says they’re working on the ULTIMATE WEAPON and that makes me worried. I remember Ultimate Weapon from FF8, and I’m so not ready for that right now.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Asphyxious posted:

Aww hell yeah!

The virtual control stick is...taking some time to get used to.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

IllegallySober posted:

The virtual control stick is...taking some time to get used to.

Walking around corners and stairs sometimes lol...

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

We’re here for the keystone in theory, but the most exiting thing here is clearly that portrait.

Like it? I love it! I ask Dio for the keystone and he says he won’t rent it out for free, I have to do him a “favour”.

:gonk:

Luckily he just means fight in his death arena thing, and even more luckily he considers watching me get insta-killed by a jellyfish to be sufficiently entertaining.

Can’t wait!

Unfortunately the Tram has broken down, but luckily everyone’s best friend and definitely not a shinra spy Cait Sith is there to help us out!

Next time: Betrayal!

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Cait Sith is worried it’s been too long since we had a recap of the plot, sensible given the endless random wandering I’ve been doing for the last 3 days.

Barret speaks for us all. Cloud recaps that they’re looking for Sephiroth, and trying stop him before he finds the Promised Land, but as always they fail to mention why, or what Sephiroth is even meant to do once he gets there. I guess he’s hell bent on world conquest, but as for the specifics?? No clue.

Someone brings up the Black Materia as something they need to watch out for as having the power of destruction, but this is kinda awkward as I think it’s the first time it’s mentioned and having it randomly thrown out there by a member of your party makes very little sense.

We also find out that the “man in a black cape” we’ve been tracking isn’t Sephiroth per se but rather meant to be us on the trail of those cloaked weirdo’s from Nibelheim. It also turns out they’re Hojo’s experiments, and Red is worried he’ll turn out like them.

Cloud goes to his room, but then Aeris shows up wanting to go on a date! They go see a play and as the 100th couple to enter, they get to be in the play! How cute!

Ahhh, romance. I mean, I basically haven’t used Aeris all game and Cloud’s scarcely said a handful of words to her, but I guess she’s into him for some reason.

She spouts off some stuff about Cloud being just like someone else she knows, then says she wants to get to know the “real him,”. Good luck with that, Aeris, I’m not sure Cloud even knows the real him, he’s vague as gently caress on his characterisation.

The date ends as most dates do, with Cait Sith lobbing the keystone into a passing helicopter then threatening everyone to keep liking him by kidnapping Barret’s adopted daughter.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Asphyxious posted:

Barret speaks for us all.

I couldn't decide on a favorite character at the start of this Mafia game, but you're reminding me that it's Barret!

Oh, as for your earlier question about the reception of Cid as a character, I'm pretty sure he's one of the most well-liked ones. "Drink your goddamn TEA!" is one of the most memorable lines of the game that I have to admit I also find amusing. But yeah, him and Shera have a pretty awful relationship if you spend just one second actually thinking about it, and it's always unfortunate to see a female character just sucking up verbal abuse while justifying to herself that she just deserves it. This might not be the most uncomfortable bit you'll have to deal with, either...

I want to say though, that it's at least slightly more thoughtful than it appears at first glance, and FF7 has a lot of overlooked depth to it that makes me feel generous towards the writers in that they did in fact want to depict that relationship as deeply flawed instead of just an acceptable status quo. It's just one more hosed up thing in a hosed up world full of despair, and I don't think it's a spoiler to say Cid as a main character gets more sympathetic along the way. ...but just like Aeris and Tifa's personalities get misremembered by the fanbase, and Cloud gets exaggerated into nothing but a brooding emo (with help from the EU and Kingdom Hearts), Cid being a bad role model with some deep personal flaws tends to get brushed to the side to just admire him as the "cool gruff guy" character.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

:ghost: Cid is the best character because of plot spoilers. He starts out awful but grows

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

tithin posted:

:ghost: Cid is the best character because of plot spoilers. He starts out awful but grows

yeah nearly everyone in FF7 is pretty hosed up

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It's kinda the whole deal, a bunch of hosed up people in a hosed up world.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Rufus sat at the top of a crumbled organization. He was now haunted by a dead company and the desire to destroy the world.

As he sat trying to sort out his tortured visions he was shot in the back.

The black materia crumbled away into dust and Shinra fell.

Asphyxious - Rufus Shinra Jenova aligned Godfather Serial Killer was Shot on night 6!

The black materia he was holding fades and crumbles away.

You are Rufus!

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Rufus

You are a Shinra aligned Godfather and win when Shinra controls the vote.
You are a Jenova aligned Serial killer and win when you are the last player left alive.

No materia was created, no mini game today.

It is day 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:
Sooo... we've probably got one more Turk left then?

• Locked thread