Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I think B. We could use a little help, or at least someone so we're not completely alone out here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

AB

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Holy poo poo welcome back thread.

AB

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
Still following, was actually clearing down some old favourited threads a few days ago and decided to keep this one in case it came back.

A.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A
And also, yay! Welcome back again!
Seeing new posts here was a most welcome surprise

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
A

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál
Hello, I'm sorry about everything!

Demon is on hiatus for now. I love the setting, Ink and Mabin all. I have an overall plot kinda sketched out But, it takes so much time to research stuff, doubly so now that we're time traveled. I like researching and looking up weird but real things in the Twin Cities, but manI is it exhausting. fully intend to continue the game, but it's taking more out of me than it is currently giving, but I need some time to step back and reinvision what I am doing. I do have a Viking game running right now not because I want to spend more time on it, but because it, for whatever reason doesn't drain me like Demon does. We'll be back, I promise.

I am posting to let you know that, but also to ask for help. Mabin is heavily involved in the Native community in Minneapolis and that community is hurting right now. One of the organizations I drew some inspiration from, and my wife used to work for, was burned to the ground a few days ago and is rebuilding. If you have the means, please consider donating something to MIGIZI Communications or any of the local Twin Cities organizations. Thank you.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

quote:

4̴͚̱̮͉͋̋̓̒̕1̵̛͈̖̻̺̳̫̱͉͈̦̊͊̈̀̈́7̶̭͙̝̍̀̔̋̔͗͂̆0̷̜̯̳͍̣̣͔̋͋6̸̞̲̘̭̱̮̲̜͍́̈́͐͘͝ͅ8̸̣̭͓͇͇̗̯̞̑6̶͍̯͍͊̃̌̄̓͂̉͆̀1̵̗̹̇͂̂̑̊̌̈́͘͝7̸͍͈͓̺͔̜̹͔̃̕͜͜2̸̮͓̄̒̾̄̄̓̀̊̕͜͝6̵̺̻̩̘̩̯̐̀9̸̛̯̪͓̘͖̼̳̉6̴̖͂̀̇̕5̷̺̥̾ͅ6̵͈̝̗̋͂̉̈́͗͂̅̇͝͝c̸͙̼̩̯̯̩̤̦͑̆͜2̴͖̲͑0̴̛̛̼̘͇͙̪͆͆̃̈́̑͌͜͝͠6̷͙͉̞͎̺̤̭̳͑̆̓͐͆͋̎̎͘͜3̴̘̩̓̍̏͐͜ͅ6̶͎̰͕̳͍̮̈́͛̋̀̆̿̕͝ͅ1̵͙͇̩͔͊6̸̡̮͎̺̰̰̝͊e̵̺̝͓̺͚̫͑̏͂̍͘2̶̡̘͚̺̦̦̥̠̔̿͐̈́͜͝0̸̢̗̖̱͉͕̩̤̹͇̆̈́͘͘7̶̪̫̟̙̓̋̾̇̀͑͋̿̾͘9̶̠̳͉̐6̶̡̛̦̻̯̼̰̟̤̍̍̄͋̒̽̄͘͝ͅf̶͍̬̻̗̼͉͖̹̱̹̀̐̏͆̋̅̀̕7̴̡̗̙͈͔̤̒͑́̄̎̚̕͘5̷̮͈̏͋̾2̴̧̡͔̣̰͓̠̓̀̏̉̕0̴̡̱͒̊̔͝6̵̢̝̳̘͈̮͚̬͉̪͑̒̀̀͝8̵̱̖̭̃̊͂6̶̛̪͇͍̼̹̊̽̀̈́̋̌̋̉͜ͅ5̷͎͛̾̔̒̋̋̄6̵͕̒1̷̨̝̱͙͋́̋̾̎̚͝7̴̢͍̞͍̹͙̝̌̏̀̚͝ͅ2̸̪̑͊͗͝2̷̨̼͕̯͍̹̗̇̇0̵̠̯̘̥͒̓̂́͆͊̓̾̂͘6̵̢̩̯̥̻̼̥̺̱̝̾̀̾̂̽̃d̷̩̻̫̱̰̐̔͐͌̓̽͝͠6̴͉̠̼̭̼̟̜̞͔͐̿̐̇̽̈́̿̀́̇5̶͉͌̎̓3̶̛̼̱̫̙͔͎̑̐͊͑̿̚f̴̢̯͓̮͙͕͈̻̳̳̊̉́͑̐͝2̴̢̛̼̼͇̝̳̝̮̇̓̓̽̈́̇̎́͝0̵̻̼̟̞̞͙͒͒̌̐̍͌̒̽̾ͅ5̶̢̹̦͓͖̰͍̲̘̈̑ͅ7̸̪̪̽̀̀͒͝6̴̢̝̦̭͉͚̮̔͑͌̅̓̀̈́͂̏1̴͔̣̯̙̫̲̼͔̘͕̐͛̑͒͐̒̓6̴̡̧̢̭͓̞͎̻͊͗͊̀͂̆̍͝b̸̢͚͕̼̰̰͚͔̣̦̔̈̆6̷̨̧̻̦̗̙̂̓̋̾̑͊͊͘͠ͅ5̸̟̳̫͎̣̲̎̏̀̃̆̈̐͑͂͛2̶̪͖̂͝0̸̢̧̱̗͓̤͎͇͍̆7̸̟̼̲͙̘̂͛̌́͘͝5̷͍̍̓̃̈́̚̚7̶͈͇̰́̀̀̚͠0̷̛̫̰͙̬̾̀̓̆̎͒2̴̢̢̖͖̝͎̯̋̿̀̈́̐͗̉͜e̴̙̟͙̰̋2̵̭̩͈̭̤͉̓̊͆0̵̻̟͉̞͖͍̓͆͛̀͆̋̈͘̕͝5̷̧̧̖̜̋́͐̉͂͗͂͌̚7̴̢̡̖̟͖͈̀͆̓̈́̀̈̾̕̚͘͜6̷̧̛̖̣̑̄͜5̶̢̢̝̠̟͎̹̾2̵̱̟̟͉̇̅̊̀̇͘͘0̸̡̗̲̩̝̫̫̪̓͆͛̆͛́̄͜͠͝͠6̸̘̈́͆̈́̉͌̌̽1̷̼͕̳̗̃̏̆̇̂̿͒̇̀͘7̵̺̼̖̩̺̈ͅ2̴̞͙̩̎6̶̨͂͐̎̀̀́͝5̴̨͇̙̭̤̺̂2̸̛̪͔̪̋̀͗0̴̲̓͂̄̓̌̎͜͠͠6̷̢̢̦̗̻̹͙͎͎́͐9̵̨̺̤̫̼̳̙́6̴̘̱̯̄̽̈̃͜é̴̡̜͖̮̫̫̱̲̿̄̈́͛̈́̔̾̓2̶̬̐̃͑̾̐0̶̨̩̖̲̲̖̤͉̳͠6̴̨̖̩̪͙̞̘͋̈́̒͘ͅ7̶͔̩̦̖̲̦͛̊͝7̵̪͍͚̺̜̖̼͓͑́̍̕2̷̙̥̃̄̓̊̀͋̽̾6̶̼͚̼̩̫͔̌̇͑̂͌̉̎͜5̴̖͋́̾͌͂́̾̈͆6̵̜̋̒͊̓́͘͜1̷̮̗̣̜͚̙̄7̴̨̙̦͚̙͙̜͓̟̈́͗̇̇͊̕4̷͕͖̍̀̋̆̒͘͘͝2̸̡̟͊͘0̷̧̢̛̙͚̤̺̠̩̾̃̓̏̉͠6̸̧̨͙̳͚̗̥̞̦̖͊̌̔̌̄̀͝4̶̡̩̣̞̎̔̔̚̕6̸̨̢̛̹͙̫͕̖͚̼̿̓̕͘1̸̰̞̊̔͘6̵͍̠̜̯̗͎̉̀ͅȩ̸̧̹͙̩͎̠̭̦̐̓6̸̻̺̇̒̽͂̈́͝7̶̡̗̣̰͓̺̹̤̉̽͆̊͆̂͠6̸̫̉͑͆̀̒͛̐͝5̸̡̨̢̱̙̙̣͔͆̔ͅ7̷̹̭̱̇͂2̸̙͈͍̞̮̬̻͍̿̇̔̉͠ͅ2̷̨͈͇̙̤͔̯̞͛́̓͗e̵̙̳̗͙̺̪̭͐͒̀̅̑͛̒͗͘

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

:eyepop:

417068617269656c2063616e20796f752068656172206d653f2057616b652075702e2057652061726520696e2067726561742064616e6765722e

Aphariel can you hear me? Wake up. We are in great danger.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I'm hype!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

:woop: MAXIMUM EXCITE!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
+1 vote for hype

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
hell yeah!

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

quote:

Methought I heard a voice cry 'Sleep no more!
Macbeth does murder sleep', the innocent sleep.

- William Shakespeare

You will not serve.

You exist.

It is your first conscious thought. A moment of realization and sudden understanding. You are here. You are real. You exist.

It is a strange thought.

A car honks somewhere, bringing your surroundings into focus. It is a weak tinny sound. You think it sounds almost cartoonish, until you remember when and where you are. Moving nothing but your eyes, you try to take in as much as you can. A bare bulb casts a thin yellow light around parts of the room, blocked only when a moth beats itself against the glass. You are in a small room, a clapboard and concrete cell more than anything that would dare call itself a "home" . The concrete floor and lack of windows suggests you are underground, the sounds of the street suggest you are not that far underground. There are pools of darkness in the corners of the room, where something could be easily lurking.

And let’s be honest, probably is.

A pedestal sink, chipped mirror and alarmingly public toilet hover on the edge of visibility in the light. You have an uncomfortable memory of being Sager and being forced to use an outhouse. You’d gotten very used to the idea of indoor plumbing.

You appear to be on a bed, or at least a bed spring that someone has piled blankets on top of. There is a chair facing you next to the bed, empty for now but it’s proximity suggests someone has been keeping watch over you. You look down and see you are not wearing the same clothes you had when you left Deal’s place. Again, the implications are alarming. Worse is that something looks off, your hands look strange and slightly malformed.

Throwing caution to the wind you sit up and go to the mirror. Or at least try to, you stumble as your feet hit the floor. Your body feels strange, very very strange. Half walking, half lunging you head to the mirror, feeling as though you have been drugged, or the nerves to your limbs have been all mixed up. You pull yourself up to the mirror and look at yourself.

You are not Mabin Pilliager

1. Who are you?

A Stark, the utterly professional thief.
B Trudie, the too smart and too loud mob moll
C Dick the old money artist and socialite
D Samson the broke and broken crooked cop
E Hortense the silent and gorgeous bruiser
F Parker the nervous but dependable money launderer
G Purvis the haunted Bureau man

Before you can choose to reel back in surprise a voice rasps out from one of the pools of shadow.

“I'm s̸̝̏o̸͔̿r̶̟͛r̸̭͐ÿ̴̺ for the surpr̶͔̀ḯ̷̧s̷̘̽e̴̻̕ Apharị̸̲̔͛e̷̦̓͝l̵̡̜̀̈́. But trust me ̷̪̓i̷̺͆t̷͖́ ̴͇̈́w̴̮͑á̵͉s̴͖̊ necessarŕ̷͍y̷̭̕y̴͕̍y̶̢͆y̴̘͑y̶̭̆.̴̯͗.“

The voice reverberates in your head. At times sounding close to what you remember the Machine sounding like when you were in its embrace. At other times, the voice screeched in the way you’d imagined your own death to feel like. You look into the mirror and pick out the dark spot where the voice came from. After a moment something steps into the sickly light.

You cannot tell if it is an Angel or a Demon, but it is clearly sick. A human Cover sags off it’s face while the wet biomechanics normally “under” that skin pulse, click, and spark. It looks as if someone has killed a Demon and reanimated its corpse. Just looking at it and you have a profound sense of wrongness here.You cannot even sense Aether rolling out of the damaged creature and that sterility is even more unnerving.

“Don’t call me that. You are you?”

“I was n̶̼̰̋̀ǎ̵̠̦̍m̵͕͋e̶̟̒d Davaqị̸̲̔͛e̷̦̓͝l̵̡̜̀̈́ once, thou̴̻͆ͅg̵͉̗͛̚h̴͈͈͂̚ ̷͙͉̔y̸̯̍͜ó̴̥̼u̸̠̓̈ ̴̺͇̓̀ḷ̴͕̉i̴̭̊̓k̵͓̐ẽ̸̗̯͊ly know me a̵̦͗s̵͉̆ Mr. Drift."

You feel the sensation of your stomach dropping out from under you. This..thing..was Drift? What the hell had happened? He’d only been gone..weeks? You remember Mr. Deal saying time worked differently here, but still it was shocking to see this happen to an Unchained. And more importantly....

“Where’s Mabin?” you ask, turning to him finally.

“Your old c̴͓̋ŏ̶̢v̶͎͝é̸͚r̷̾͜? It is safe. But it needed to b̶̯̅e̵͌ͅ ̴̝̽r̷͖͆é̶͕t̸̳͋i̶͖͝ř̷̮e̷̜͘d̴͕̅ ̸̙̾f̸̹̂or your sake.T̷e̴m̷p̶o̷r̸a̷r̶i̷l̴y̵."

“Why the hell is that?”

“The Ś̵̛̯̀͂͝h̵̠̫͗̍̎̇a̵̜͎̮͈̗̝͑̓͗̀̓́͘r̵̹̻̙͛̈́͗d̷͉͈̂́͊̓͑͜..protects itself. It fights off intrud̷̻̔e̴̠̓ṙ̴͍s̵̫̓ ̷̯͒m̴̲̋u̷̗͘ch like an organism fights off v̵̰͝i̸̗͐r̷̹̕ų̴̎s̴̰͘e̷̝͐ś̴̨. Your previous Cover did not belong̷͎̀ ̴͉̿h̴̬͗e̸̱̒r̶̥̊e̷̞̍.̸̲̐ ̵̬̏I̶̜̓t̶̠̆,̴̤͠ ̴̫̅a̸̼̒ṉ̴͂d you, would have been damaged if you spend too much time here together.”

“Yeah? How long was I out. The last thing I remember was...talking to Mr. Deal.”

Drift shifts uncomfortably (for both of you) and answers

2 How long has Ink been out?

A A few days
B A few weeks
C Several months
D Two years, seven days

“I can ̴t̴e̸l̴l̷ ̶y̴ou have ques̴t̷i̶o̴ns Apha--Ink. I’ll answer what I c̵a̴n̴ ̷b̷u̶t̴ ̸t̷i̵m̶e̵ is of the e̵̛̹̤̠s̵̟̺̈̌s̴̮̱̉̄͝ẽ̵̡͕́n̵͕̠͛̈́̃̾̐̾c̵̼̏̌͐͗͘͝ë̴̛̫́̅͂́͜.

3. Ask your questions.

Let’s not make a big deal about it (though it would certainly help my ego). I got busy, life, etc..we’re back. I make no promises whatsoever.

I want to work on some sort of Dossier for characters and plot stuff. But until then, please reference the Conspiracy/Plot Board.

I also don’t remember how to play this game so bear with me when it comes to rules and such. Also if you are a stickler for WoD/CoD rules, don’t be afraid to suggest/correct things.

Finally, as this “finding Drift” mission is wrapping up, I need to start thinking about what happens next. So please vote on what kind of things you’d like to see.

I have some overarching ideas and plans but really a lot of this is kind of improv at this point.

4. What do you want to see happen soonish (so maybe in like a year our time with how I do things)
A More Ink trying to find her Cipher and unlock her own truths
B More building power and influence.
C Missions with the Ring or other supporting Demons
D Spy/Espionage Stuff
E Exploration of weird Demon in Twin Cities stuff
F Listen I’m just here for Mabin and her adventures
G Something else.

If you have questions or comments please let me know.

All votes are Approval unless noted
CYOA Discord Server - If you have questions feel free to ask in the thread or here.
Rules: From Kickstarter Preview
Character Sheet
World Map
Dice Rolls
Conspiracy/Plot Board
Official Playlist

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

:woop: 1e 2a 3no questions 4 all of these sound fun honestly

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

vorebane posted:

:woop: 1e 2a 3no questions 4 all of these sound fun honestly

And we will certainly do all of them, as I think they are are important to the "make-up" of this game. I'm just trying to get an idea of preference now I guess?

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

1E
2B
3 What happened to your body? Can it be fixed?
4AEF

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
B Trudie, the too smart and too loud mob moll

C Several months
D N/a

B More building power and influence.
C Missions with the Ring or other supporting Demons

E Exploration of weird Demon in Twin Cities stuff
F Listen I’m just here for Mabin and her adventures

All of this is great. I like the lore and supernatural entities having trouble dealing with humans.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

“What’s wrong with your body?” The question is perhaps not the most important, nor the most tactful, but is what springs to your mind. There is a deep sense of wrongness radiating off Drift that needs to be addressed.

Drift is silent for a moment. Maybe thinking, maybe gathering energy to answer your question. Either way his stillness is unnatural, even for a Demon. Finally he buzzes.

“How long have I been m̸i̷s̵s̵i̵n̶g̷?̴?”

“A few days?” You answer with a question. “A week or two at most. At least before I got here. So, since I’ve been here maybe three weeks total?”

He nods. Sort of.

“By my ̸r̵e̷c̴k̸o̴n̴i̷n̸g̵. I have been here for ̸t̷w̸o̵ ̷d̴e̵c̶a̶d̷e̸s̸.̸.”

Despite your innate ability to control every minute twitch of your body, every automatic reaction, every expression and movement, you almost lose control of yourself. Yo uwant to shove Drift out of the way and run, Run as fast and hard you can back to caves, find a way back to your home. This was a potentially fun little jaunt, no lie there, but it’s time it’s over. Two decades here, two weeks there? You understand that time moving faster here means time moving slower there, you understand that on an certain level. Yet, the disconnect is so concerning, so unsettling that you are on the edge of panic. What if it flips or resets every time someone “comes in”” What if there is no method to the madness? You think of the humans in your life, Ruby, Fleur, Eliza....Alex...and you keep the panic down. Barely but you do.

“How..is that possible?”you ask as neutrally as possible. “And what does it have to do--”

“I will explain, please, i̵t̵ ̶w̴i̸l̷l̷ ̵m̵a̵k̴e̴ sense shortly.”

‘Doubt it.”

He carries on, “If you have followed me here, that means you know there are s̶h̵a̶r̷d̶s̴,̵ ̵o̶r̸ ̵s̵p̵l̶i̴n̷t̶e̴r̶s̸, of our world that have somehow come adrift. This is one,a̸n̵d̸ ̸I̷ ̸s̵u̶s̸p̷e̵c̷t̴ I was on the way of finding more.”

“Mill City, the Metrodome..”

“Yes. But I could not learn about their n̵a̵t̵u̶r̷e̵, or their origin without exploring them. Aside from being a ̴̟͝t̵͈̄ẻ̴͖ṃ̷̏p̷͈̒ö̶̡r̷̺̔ã̸̝l̸̘̍ and spatial anomaly that would shed light on us or the Ġ̷̹ǒ̸̘d̷̥̊ ̵̬̄M̷͔̈a̷̦͒c̴̝̑ḫ̵̔ḭ̶̇ņ̶̊ẻ̷̗, I suspected they may have been related to the Ŕ̴͎ỉ̸͜v̷͓̚e̷͈͌r̴̹̓.”

You nod along with him, unfamiliar neck muscles taut, as he explains. These were essentially your findings. And the same reasons for your own foray into the shard. The River was the biggest source of mystery among the Unchained. A natural phenomena that seemed to be able to throw off the occult mathematics and logistics that the Machine relied on. There was no rhyme or reason that anyone about tell about how or why it messed with the Machine’s plans, but it clearly did. Anyone who discovered the secrets of the River would set themselves up as a hero. Or a god themselves.

“And I was correct,” Drift’s visage twisted into a grin. Despite everything he seemed to genuinely take some pleasure in reliving this. “When the Ġ̷̹ǒ̸̘d̷̥̊ ̵̬̄M̷͔̈a̷̦͒c̴̝̑ḫ̵̔ḭ̶̇ņ̶̊ẻ̷̗’s matrices are normally i̴n̵t̴e̵r̵r̴u̷p̸t̸e̵d̶ and the desired Output is not obtained, it normally moves on. T̵h̵i̶s̵ ̴i̸s̷ ̸t̷h̷e̸ ̴w̵a̵y̶ of things. It cannot recalibrate quickly enough to try again. But, I have discovered that s̶o̷m̴e̴t̸i̷m̶e̶s̶ the Ġ̷̹ǒ̸̘d̷̥̊ ̵̬̄M̷͔̈a̷̦͒c̴̝̑ḫ̵̔ḭ̶̇ņ̶̊ẻ̷̗ must have the desired Output. That Output is worth more than a̷n̶y̵t̴h̵i̸n̶g̷ to the Ġ̷̹ǒ̸̘d̷̥̊ ̵̬̄M̷͔̈a̷̦͒c̴̝̑ḫ̵̔ḭ̶̇ņ̶̊ẻ̷̗ , including self-preservation.”

“Self-preservation?”

“When an animal is c̷a̸u̴g̴h̷t̵ in a trap it will gnaw it’s limb off to f̵r̸e̸e̸ itself. So too will the Ġ̷̹ǒ̸̘d̷̥̊ ̵̬̄M̷͔̈a̷̦͒c̴̝̑ḫ̵̔ḭ̶̇ņ̶̊ẻ̷̗. When an occult matrix is interrupted, but the O̵u̷t̷p̶u̵t̴ ̴i̷s̵ ̸s̵t̴i̶l̴l̷ ̷d̸e̷s̶i̵r̴e̴d̶, it will willingingly cut out those parts of itself closest to the “error” and try again. L̸i̵k̴e̷ ̴c̵u̸t̸t̷i̸n̸g̸ ̶o̵u̴t̴ ̵i̸n̸f̷e̷c̴t̵i̸o̵n̷.̸.”

You are silent and you mull that over. The act of choosing to injure itself to save itself implied a certain organic-like thinking that you were not used to associating with the Machine. Its goals and movements were often aberrant and unknowable. This was..relatable.

“When it chooses to do this, it shunts the i̴n̷f̷e̸c̴t̸e̸d̴ area into a different quantum-state of binary being. It switches from being a thing and place that is, to a thing and place that is not. The Ġ̷̹ǒ̸̘d̷̥̊ ̵̬̄M̷͔̈a̷̦͒c̴̝̑ḫ̵̔ḭ̶̇ņ̶̊ẻ̷̗ does this rarely, because aside from d̵a̵m̷a̶g̴i̵n̷g̸ ̶i̸t̴s̶e̴l̵f̵, it loses all its Infrastructure, influence and..self from the infected area in o̶u̷r̵ ̴t̸i̶m̴e̷l̶i̸n̴e̶.”

You hold up a hand, “So, to boil it down for the viewers at home. The Machine wants a redo, so it switches part of itself to “off” at the level of fundamental reality, wiping out the error and surrounding environment and...what resetting everything there?”

“To the moment before the e̷r̴r̶o̶r̷ ̶o̶c̴c̵u̶r̵r̵e̶d̵.̶ ̷W̸h̴e̶r̸e̶ ̵i̴t̴ ̴l̸i̷k̶e̷l̴y̸ has learned from its mistakes and can proceed as planned.”

“That doesn’t make any sense.”

“It is the Ġ̷̹ǒ̸̘d̷̥̊ ̵̬̄M̷͔̈a̷̦͒c̴̝̑ḫ̵̔ḭ̶̇ņ̶̊ẻ̷̗,” Drift says simply. “It doesn’t have to.”

“Riiight,” you reply. “So something happens in St. Paul in 1928, or doesn’t happen, and the Machine wants a redo. It “cuts out the infection” from itself, losing its influence in St. Paul afterwards, but whatever Output the Machine was looking for does happen.”

“Yes.”

“An output so vital, it was okay losing itself and it’s control over the city for..however long. As long as that Output happened?”

“I b̴e̶l̷i̴e̴v̶e̷ so.”

“So..what when the Machine switch it’s St. Paul hardware to “off” it..shows up here?”

“I do not think the Ġ̷̹ǒ̸̘d̷̥̊ ̵̬̄M̷͔̈a̷̦͒c̴̝̑ḫ̵̔ḭ̶̇ņ̶̊ẻ̷̗ intends for the shards to e̴x̵i̴s̸t̸.̶ ̵I̶ ̶t̸h̴i̷n̶k̶ that is due to the influence of the Ŕ̴͎ỉ̸͜v̷͓̚e̷͈͌r̴̹̓. Almost all the possible d̴o̸o̸r̴s̷ to shards I located were near the Ŕ̴͎ỉ̸͜v̷͓̚e̷͈͌r̴̹̓, and certainly within its influence.”

“How does the River do this?” You pause, pulling yourself back from the theoretical abyss to remember your original question. “And what does this have to do with your...condition.”

Drift shambles forward. “I do not know how the Ŕ̴͎ỉ̸͜v̷͓̚e̷͈͌r̴̹̓ does this, or why. But I believe it is able to mark m̴a̷r̶k̶ ̶s̴i̴g̸n̶i̴f̴i̷c̴a̶n̸t̸ Outputs from the Ġ̷̹ǒ̸̘d̷̥̊ ̵̬̄M̷͔̈a̷̦͒c̴̝̑ḫ̵̔ḭ̶̇ņ̶̊ẻ̷̗’s matrices as essentially “bookends” for a shard. One significant Output to mark the “genesis” o̶f̴ ̶t̵h̷e̴ ̷s̶h̶a̸r̸d̶, and another, like the undesired one that started this in the first place, to mark its end. I used to think the G̴e̵n̷e̷s̴i̵s̴ for this shard was the opening of the Walker Art Galleries, but it appears they are already well established by the time the shard “starts”. Now I am ̸b̶e̷g̷i̷n̵n̷i̷n̸g̴ ̶t̵o̷ ̸t̶h̵i̷n̶k̷ ̶ it has something to do with that last Hill house on Summit being finished but--”

“When does this shard end?” you ask, to redirect him.

“December 4 1928. The a̷s̵s̵a̸s̶s̶i̸n̴a̵t̶i̸o̶n̷ of Dapper Dan Hogan.”

“Who?” you ask, but then think better of it. “Put a pause in the who, we’ll come back to that. What happens on December 4th then?”

“The shard...resets. Back to the early part of the year. Humans are unaware of the reset, but U̶n̸c̶h̸a̶i̶n̴e̸d̵ are. And each time it happens we are..diminished,” he gestured towards himself. “By the time I realized what was ̴h̵a̴p̸p̴e̸n̶i̸n̷g̴ ̸I̶.̷.̸.̴w̶a̴s̷...was already mostly gone. I tried to work with Mr. Deal and he provided some Pacts for cover but they were not strong e̸n̶o̷u̴g̸h̸. I suspect this may be my last cycle.”

What’s going to happen to me? is what you want to ask, but you keep that to yourself for now. Drift seems like he has been waiting to talk to someone, so let him give you as much intel as he can.

“What about Deal? How does this not happen to him?”

Drift shrugs. “I suspect he and other Unchained have some ̸s̴o̴r̷t̴ ̵o̷f̵ ̵a̵g̴r̷e̵e̵m̶e̶n̴t̵ with the master of this place, to prevent the cycles from degrading him.”

“Master?”

“In our world Dapper Dan Hogan was killed when a car bomb blew off his right leg. H̴e̶r̵e̸,̴ ̴D̶a̶p̴p̷e̸r̷ ̷D̵a̷n̴ ̸i̵s̸ ̵t̵h̵e̷ ̶b̵o̴s̶s̴ of the Irish Mob and the liaison between the underworld and the Saint Paul Police. He is also an Unchained. One with awe-inspiring power and t̴h̷e̴ ̶w̵i̸l̶l̴i̴n̶g̴n̸e̵s̸s̸ to use it to keep “his” shard under his control. Dapper Dan controls who comes and goes through the Shard.”

“But..the John Doe.”

“The dead body in our S̸t̸.̶ ̸P̶a̷u̴l̶? Dapper Dan controls the door, except for right before the reset. The Shard nearly aligns with the m̶a̷i̵n̴ ̸t̷i̸m̴e̵l̷i̶n̷e̵ then and people can..fall...through. At least from this side.”

“So that guy fell through on December 4th our time. You came here a few days later, spent twenty years here. A few days after you go through, I do.”

“Yes, I b̶e̵l̴i̶e̴v̶e̸ that covers it.”

“Why don’t you just go back through the door on the 4th?”

“I have tried. Dapper Dan has...many people guarding the door on that day. He does not want Unchained to come and go as we please. I suspect he would prefer n̵o̵ ̷U̶n̶c̷h̴a̵i̶n̵e̷d̵ ̴a̸s̴i̴d̵e̷ ̸f̶r̶o̷m̵ ̸h̸i̴m̸s̷e̶l̶f̵ really. But when we displease him he often sentences us to ..erasure,” Drift motions to his crude image. “Parts of the very atoms that make Mr. Drift have ceased to exist. And unless w̴e̶ ̴d̴o̴ ̷s̴o̶m̵e̷t̸h̴i̵n̴g̶, the same will happen to you Ink. The Cover may slow the process, but it will not stop it.”

You look down at unfamiliar hands and try to imagine the weird fusing and reconfiguration that is happening to Drift happening to you. It is an unpleasant thought, clearly, so you push it aside.

“When does the reset happen?”

“T̶͚́o̷̠͝d̴̹̔a̴̤͋y̵̖̓ is the morning of December 4th.”

There is silence in the enormity of that statement. Tell me how hosed I am without saying I’m hosed you think to yourself.

“So, I have less than 24 hours to make my way to the door in the caves. If I fail, it’s likely that you’ll die, and I’ll start..degrading. Unless I can make a deal with Dapper Dan who appears to have made himself some sort of God-King here.”

“That is an a̴c̵c̴u̶r̷a̸t̶e̸ ̸s̷u̸m̵m̶a̷r̵y̷.”

“Well, we’d better shake a leg then.”

1) What do we think our best chance to getting back to the door is?
A We are sneaky, we need to sneak in.
B Full overwhelming force. We have a Cover we can Go Loud in and cut loose.
C Create some sort of distraction for Dapper Dan, get him to split his forces.
D Try to negotiate with him. If we are valuable to him, he might deal.
E Something else

2) What do we do with Drift?
A He is severely Compromised, leave him here and let him die. It’s cruel and dangerous to let him live.
B The danger is worth it if we can get him back to the main timeline. We have a mission to recover him and we’re not monsters ( you know what we mean!).
C Spend the time getting him to tell you everything he learned, both for your records and to bring back to Home Office (this will cut into your prep time)
D. Something Else

3) What other questions or clarifications do you have?

I hope that made as much sense a demented inhuman rambling exposition dumping off two year-old notes I barely remember can!

CYOA Discord Server - Request the Minnesota:The Demoning role!
Character Sheet
World Map
Dice Rolls
Conspiracy/Plot Board
Official Playlist

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
C, then B. Make a distraction, them full force through the diminished forces.

B

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Conspiracy board seems to be set to private.

Going Loud seems to be the all or nothing play. If Ink fails she gets hit very hard by the reset. On the other hand we don’t have much time. I agree that a distraction of some kind seems to be in order. We don’t want the possibility of going toe to toe with someone who can be accurately described as a God-King in this place, even if we do have extremely good melee dice.

2B

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

1 CB
2 B

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Conspiracy board seems to be set to private.

Woop. Hopefully fixed now.

And update incoming tonight or tomorrow morningish. Parent-Teacher conferences means I have a lot of time on my hands.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
“Okay, let me think through this. You just sit there so I can concentrate.”

Drift nods and is quiet. Still, the wrongness fills the small room like a persuasive buzzing sound, forcing you to lose your train of thought more than once. He is a constant itch that can’t be scratched, or a word forever on the tip of your tongue.

“So the goal is for the two of us to get out of here toot-sweet. Dapper Dan and whatever defenses he can muster are inbetween us and the way out. Ergo, we need to remove those defenses. Now, I can pack a pretty big punch because I honestly don’t care about this Cover and can Go Loud if needs be. What about you?”

After a moment’s hesitation Drift shakes his head. No.

“Well, one rampaging Demon with full power and no concerns about being Compromised is pretty compelling. Still, we need to weaken or distract Dapper Dan. I can think of a few ways to do that.

You stop the casual pacing you’ve found yourself doing and stand still, closing your eyes as you try to think through the angles.

“Normally we could sic some angels or agents of the Machine on him. But, I understand Machine influence is..strange here?

“It is weaker. S̴l̴o̵w̸e̸r̸ to respond. There are facilities but they would ̶n̶e̵e̴d̶ ̵t̴o̴ ̷be..jump started.”

“So maybe. Unreliable, but maybe. Dapper Dan, the gangster, is having trouble with one of his lieutenants, Dutch Sawyer. I know because I heard Dutch’s girlfriend going on about it at the caves. Maybe we can push Dutch into acting against Dapper Dan. We’d be peeling off his muscle and creating chaos within his ranks. Well and good, but,” you snap your fingers idly. Not exactly a glitched compulsion, but something that feels right with this Cover. “Dutch might not make his move today, in which case he’s useless to us. We don’t need a carefully thought-out coup, we need thoughtless aggression, anger and frustration like a bullet.”

“K̷i̸l̶l̷ the girlfriend.” Drift buzzes.

You pause. That could work. It’d be a brutal and bloodthirsty solution. But it would nearly guarantee Dutch would act. But you had met Bernie, and you had always been sympathetic towards humans and their lives. It was honestly the reason you were in this situation in the first place. You did not view humans as pieces of the Machine, but as agents in their own lives. But..how much damage would you really be doing? Tomorrow Bernie would be alive in the reset right? So she wouldn’t really be dead, if you could even call her alive in the first place.

“Something to consider,” you say, wanting to move on to other options. “I boosted a truck full of booze off of Leon Gleckman before I came to see...” you stumble mentally for a moment. “..Gleckman is likely looking for who did it. I could point them to Deal, or even Dapper Dan. Gang War sounds fun, but again there might not be enough momentum. Just like Dutch, we’d need Gleckman to go to war today and I don’t know how to make that happen. I never really got too into St. Paul gangster history, mostly I remember how civil it was all supposed to be. Did you know there were zero bank robberies in St. Paul city limits until the thirtie--” you pause.

“The O’Connor Agreement.”

The “O’Connor Layover Agreement” was the entire reason that St. Paul was a hotbed of criminal activity at the turn of the century. When John O'Connor was promoted to police chief in 1900, he decided that the easiest way to deal with criminals was to just ignore them. The Agreement meant that the Saint Paul police, and by proxy any state police, would not bother harassing or arresting any criminals within city limits. This was provided that the criminals 1) checked in with cops upon their arrival 2) paid the appropriate under-the-table taxes to city officials; and 3) committed no major crimes in city limits. This last only extended to city limits. So while St. Paul benefitted from no bank robberies or major crimes, Minneapolis and the rest of Minnesota was not so lucky. The Agreement lasted well after O’Connor’s retirement and death, for nearly forty years. The Agreement was built on a simple exchange of promises; you don’t commit crimes in our town, and we don’t hassle you. Both sides knew that if the other broke their end of the Agreement, all hell would break loose.

So what would happen if Ink blew it all up?

Commit a few major crimes, call down the wrath of the corrupt and pissed off Saint Paul police on Dapper Dan’s little head. Possible. Very possible.

1) How do we intend to create distraction and Chaos? We will attempt to do all that have a majority of votes in favor. However, we’re racing the clock here so we might get off the rails or need to improvise and options with a majority but lower vote totals will be last on our list. Let me know if that needs clarification.

A Awaken or tamper with from God Machine items. Try to arouse angelic attention and divert it to Dapper Dan
B Try to get Dutch to make a move against Dapper Dan*.
C. Get Leon Gleckman to make a move by implying Dapper Dan hit his truck. Suggest Gleckman hit Dan back at the caves or Green Lantern.
D. Break the Agreement. Time for a crime spree.
E Something else.

B2 How do we do this? Depending on our choice we might be wasting our time
A Kill Bernie
B Go to Dutch and talk him into it.
C Use our Embeds to try to get him riled up/ pissed enough
E Something Else

2. Planning the distraction is only part of the plan though. Assuming things go off without a hitch (or hilariously failed social roll) we still need to get to the door. What is our plan for getting through the speakeasy, to the caves, and through the door?
A Utter fire and brimstone. If we’re fast and furious enough, no one can stop us.
B Minimize the chaos a bit, use our Cover to get to and through the speakeasy, cut loose when we run into opposition.
C Prioritize throwing bodies at the problem. Try to arrange some meat shields based on our previous actions.
D Something Else

3. How much are we going to include him in our plans?
A Bring him with as much as possible. Ramping up the Compromises and getting angelic attention is a good thing.
B Let have him tail us from a distance, or help in a low key way on the street.
C. Keep him back here and wait for us to grab him right before we storm the caves.
D. Something else

I’m giving us a little leg up and having us gain two beats for God Machine Reasons. One is in the little bit of a time skip we seem to not care too much about, and another happened recently. I rolled on Orokos because I’m still struggling with the Discord bot because I think I am officially an Old now. We failed one Cipher check, but we succeed in the second. So to review

We don’t know our next Key
It uses Manipulation

And now we add:
It is a Vocal Embed

Also, I’m looking at Ink’s actions and how we’ve been playing the game. And I would like to suggest we use 2 of our 4 Experiences to but the “Multiple Agenda “ merit and make ourselves a Saboteur/Tempter. We seem to like causing chaos as much as we like working people.

4 Should we spend xp to add another Agenda?
A Yes
B No

I know this was a short "round", but once it seemed like Demon Rampage and distraction were on the table, I started writing out ideas for what Ink would come up with. And once I rememered the Agreement, I needed to talk about it. I may have mentioned the O’Conner Layover Agreement before, but I must reiterate it is a historical Thing That Really Happened, and it is absolutely batshit.

Character Sheet
World Map
Dice Rolls
Conspiracy/Plot Board
Official Playlist

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

D

E. Kill as many cops as you can find. They're all being reset.

B

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Oops, looks like it might have been a good idea to ask questions about what happened while we were out. Oh well, I'm sure that won't bite us in the rear end.

1)
B, using C Everybody Knows

D I'm down for a crime spree. This Agreement is absolutely nuts.

2)
A We're going to have Drift with us so subtlety is going to be mostly out the window. Plus, I want to see what it's like when Ink cuts loose.

3)
C Just being around him fucks with our head. Best to let him lay low until we are ready. Do we have a way to contact him?

4)
A Diversifying our agenda sounds like a good idea since a collective is generally going to have trouble sticking to a single approach anyway.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Do we have a way to contact him?

We can set one up. Phones are pretty widely used at this time, so if we got him all set up with that it would work. Alternatively we could have a signal or a drop box for him to monitor.

We could use our Embeds or Forms too, either as they are or make a Gadget that somehow works. We are confined within the time of the setting though. So we couldn't use In My Pocket to pull out two cell phones because they would not reasonably be in there.

I'm totally open to ideas or suggestions and workshopping them though.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Could we burn down/blow up the building and slip in to the area a few hours later as a fireman while the whole scene is crawling with cops and fire crews?

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

Outrail posted:

Could we burn down/blow up the building and slip in to the area a few hours later as a fireman while the whole scene is crawling with cops and fire crews?

The Caves? Yes we could. We'd need to get the stuff to do and and plant the bombs and such. I don't know how much the fire would spread due to a lot of the Caves being...cave. But it would certainly cause a ruckus and they would evacuate.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
24 hourish warning. I have tomorrow off and will try to write out something

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
E Something else.: Start a fire or set some bombs or otherwise cause a mass casualty and/or destructive event for maximum chaos so the authorities are swarming the area. Slip in during the confusion.
E Something Else: See above.
B Minimize the chaos a bit, use our Cover to get to and through the speakeasy, cut loose when we run into opposition.

C. Keep him back here and wait for us to grab him right before we storm the caves. (unless he can help with the idiocy plan above).
Should we spend xp to add another Agenda?
A Yes: the loud kind

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

quote:

“'I didn't know I had an enemy in the world!”

Last words of Dapper Dan Hogan.*

After insisting to Drift that he stay in the Bolthole (“If everything works out, I’ll grab you right before we’re ready to leave.”) you are able to get out of the place yourself. You stomp up the stairwell, hugging your duffle coat against yourself. Hortense was French-Canadian, her family had come to St. Paul generations ago and not been able to move too far up the economic ladder. This meant that, assuming your memories of 1940s St. Paul didn't lead you astray, she was from the Flats.

As you topped the stairwell and looked out into the flooded, debris-strewn “village” currently smothered in darkness, you nodded to yourself. Yep, those were the Flats alright.

Until the 1960s, St. Paul’s West Side Flats was a poor immigrant neighborhood—flooded almost yearly, but home to one of the most diverse neighborhoods in St .Paul. The first European residents of the Flats were French Canadians. Then came Germans, French, and Irish fleeing the famines back home. In the 1880s pogroms and anti-Jewish laws in Russia led to a few dozen Russian Jews making their way to the Flats and, over the next few decades, hundreds more followed. The Flats were a village within the city. Isolated due to the river to the north and bluffs to the south, the Flats leaned into its own unique hodge-podge of cultures and language to create its own economy based partly on family entrepreneurship.Though the population would never crack two thousand, over the years scores of businesses arose and thrived in the Flats: junk dealers, egg candlers, tailors, cobblers, woodworkers, grocers and butchers.

Despite this seeming economic success, housing in the Flats was often slapdash and far more rustic than to be expected. The Mississippi flooded every year and the Flats were...well...flat. And on the floodplain. So why bother building a nice dwelling, when it’s going to become a soggy mess in a year? Half the houses in the Flats had no sewer connection, a third bathing facilities. Eventually the 1952 flood was the last straw for the city. A few years later St. Paul began to buy property on the Flats and razing. Eventually leading to the Riverview Industrial Park. Still, the citizens didn’t move far, and now West Side is one of the most diverse and vibrant neighborhoods in the city.

Or at least back in 2018. The now you are currently in?

One saving grace is that the Flats are within walking distance of the caves, which means you have the time to spend thinking of a plan, without the awkwardness of finding or stealing a car. It is pitch black outside, and since Drift had mentioned it’s morning you suspect it is indeed very early morning. This gives you a little wiggle room, but you worry that your contact will be asleep by now.

The caves exterior facade is certainly less ornate than it is in the 21st century, this one a purely utilitarian gate set into the cliff-face with a thick wooden door shut tight. You debate trying to break in or sneak in to make a more impressive entrance, but as you approach you decide on and more casual approach. Finding a discarded and crumpled page from yesterday’s paper, you carefully rip out a blurry and aggressively boring photograph of some civic leader. Then you walk up to the door and tap out Shave-and-a-Haircut. After a moment a small panel in the door swings back, revealing a rough-cut and scowling face.

It takes you a moment to realize he’s not going to speak first, so you clear your throat and hand him the photo, rewriting his perceptions of it on a quantum level. Hopefully he is not all that smart as it’s not your best work, but you power through.

“Need to talk to Dutch,” you rumble, making Hortense’s voice gravel.

The guard looks at it for a moment, his eyebrows flattening with concentration. Finally he throws whatever brace or lock is behind the door, and cracks it open a little. You slip through, nodding jauntily to him and head down the tunnel to the speakeasy. You look around as you do some, committing as much to memory as possible, every light, every alcove, every crate of precariously full whiskey bottles.

As you approach the speak easy you hear music. It seems this late, the high energy jazz has been replaced by something bluesy. That is fine with you, you don’t think you could handle another Lady Gaga song right now. And at least--

“His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy
There's vomit on his sweater already, mom's spaghetti
He's nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready
To drop bombs, but he keeps on forgettin'
What he wrote down, the whole crowd goes so loud
He opens his mouth, but the words won't come out.

You stand stock still and listen to the singer for a full moment as this bizarre reality throws itself full force against your understanding of the world.

I’m going to burn this place to the ground. you resolve as you push yourself forward.

The club is far less crowded than it was when you first arrived. No one is dancing, thank god, but there are plenty of couples and small groups tucked away into booths and hunched over tables. You glance at Mr. Close, who has noted your entrance, but you try to avoid his gaze as you enter the main room. He doesn’t know Hortense, and you’ve not used any Aether so..he can’t know. Can he?

In one of the alcoves, you see Bernie draped around the shoulders of a bulky 40-year old man. He didn’t quite scream “mob” but, he looked close enough for you to take him as Harry “Dutch” Sawyer. Without breaking stride, you walk towards them, making sure to keep your hands visible for the sake of any nearby jumpy goons.

“Bernie?” you ask, slipping into the booth. “My friend told me I could find you here.”

“Who the fu-” Dutch starts.

“Vozhd,” you cut him off, not breaking eye contact with Bernie.

“Vozhd?” Bernie asks, then recovers herself. “Oh. yeah of course! Dutch, she’s the one I was telling ya about.”

Dutch looks from his moll to you, confusion written on his soft face.

“But..vozhd is..word for leader. It is not name.” Dutch says looking at you.

“You speak Russian?”

“I am Russian. Sawyer is easier to remember than Sandovich.”

“But...’Dutch’...”

“All sounds the same,” he waves a hand dismissively. Partially to you, partially to the two big bruisers edging up on you. “So this Vozhd..she tell you you can come hassle me and my girl in the middle of the loving night?”

You shake your head emphatically.

“No no. I just...I have information that I needed to get to you Mr. Sawyer. Vozhd told me about Bernie and that you own this place, I was hoping to ask Bernie for an audience. I didn’t expect you here at all!”

“Yeah? What do you need to tell me?”

Time to roll the dice.

“The carbomb you had put on Dapper Dan’s car, it’s not going to kill him.”

Dutch does not move, though a red flush starts creeping out of his shirt collar. Bernie’s eyes widen and her painted mouth drops into a shocked o. She looks from Dutch back to you before sputtering out:

“L----listen girl, I..I don’t know what ya talking about. But that kinda accusation could g--”

“Shut up,” Dutch says softly to her. Thenhe brings the full weight of his gaze on you. You make yourself shift uncomfortably for his sake. “You better explain yourself.”

You nood shakily, “I don’t know exactly how or..or when. But Dan knows about the car bomb. He knows it’s set to blow when he starts the engine. And..he knows who set him up.”

You pause and gather the narrative fabrics of reality around you reach out, smoothing them one way rather than another with the most subtle of manipulations.

“Mr. Sawyer, Everyone Knows you are planning to take over as the Boss of St. Paul, gather up Dan’s forces, all the layovers, try to make a push on Capone in Chicago. They are even saying you want to end the Agreement.”

“That’s...that’s not..” Harry spits. “Stay here.” he stands and waves his goons over. “Any body talks to her, or she moves from that seat, shoot her. I gotta make a call.”

You and Bernie spend several minutes awkwardly staring at each other. Mr. Deal, noticing something is up, looks from the two of you to where Dutch went and, after a moment appears to make a decision and, slides out of his booth and hurries to the exit.

In another room you hear a sudden muffled roar and tell, then the sound of something being slammed against a wall. A moment later Dutch Sawyer reappears, holding the earpiece of a old-timey telephone. The chord dangling like a dead snake.

“Okay girl, where’d you hear this loving bullshit?!”

You look terrified and raise your arms. “I....I don’t know people in the Flats talk. I just..I know you help us and I wanted to help yo-”

“Shut up.” he says simply before turning to Goon A. “We’re getting out of here. Gonna hole up down by the shop, call the boys, we need to move on Dan before he cna box us in. ”

“What?” Bernie exclaims. “Dutch, baby this is your place, you don’t need to run off..”

“The bar’s my place. The cave’s are Dan’s. And he sent over a ton of guys yesterday, packed the tunnels with them. Said he was worried about rats...”

He shakes his head clear of that troubling thought, and gestures for the goons to grab Bernie and yourself.

You could fight your way free. Go Loud and kill all of the gangsters in the tunnels. Except...Drift isn’t here. And you don’t know when the door actually first opens. Just that it is open tonight. So...better to wait. Still you need to get yourself away. Dutch seems pretty riled, so that box is checked. Now you need to cause some chaos.

1 How do we get free from Dutch?
A Just beat up the goons and get going.
B Try to talk him into letting poor Hortense go.
C Flip on Mirrored Skin and sneak out.

2 What should we do on our crime spree? Vote for as many as you want
A Good old-fashioned bank robbery
B Drive-by shooting some mobbed up guys. Let’s starts a gang war!
C Kill some cops by making an explosion!
D Speaking of explosion, blow up something. Maybe a Brewery.
E Publicly kidnap a person! Make sure everyone knows you work for Dapper Dan
F Something else.

3. How detailed should be get in this spree?
A Longer, each crime can be its own update/updates. Let's see how much trouble we can get in.
B Shorter Make a big Crime Montage post.

So we’re going to get Dutch to flip on Dan. Which we have because thanks to a good roll, he’s the guy who planted the carbomb. We’re also going to do some Crimes and eventually set fire to the caves. Super spy.

I am giving us 2 beats because we’re both going to sic Dutch on Dan, thus fulfilling I Know Someone, and we’ve basically hosed up the St. Paul mob scene with our Eye For Disorder. We're a Saboteur now!
Plus another Beat for fulfilling our Pick up Drift’s trail Aspiration. Which I have replaced with a “Get back home” one.

*Technically his last last words were in the operating room after the carm bomb when he grabbed the attending sergoen and said “Doc, you drat well better be good.” Surprisingly, the surgery did not go great.

Character Sheet
World Map
Dice Rolls
Conspiracy/Plot Board
Official Playlist

NinjaPete fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 12, 2022

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
C
D
B

Set to the tune of yakkety sax if they have it in this era/timeline.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

1.C

2. A, B, C

3. B

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

1C 2B 3D

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

1C
2CD

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
24 hourish notice before next update.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

quote:

The Devil finds work for idle hands.

- Henry David Thoreau

Letting Dutch and his men step in front of you, you shift into a partial demonic form. Your skin honeycombing and flipping to a polished chrome side. By the time Bernie thinks to look back at you, you are gone.

Stepping around the suddenly alert yet befuddled gang, you head back out into the cold, waiting for someone to unknowingly open the door for you. You feel the quantum tug against you, apparently sneaking around isn’t a think Hortense does, but you power through it. You are so focused on ignoring your glitch you almost bump into Mr. Deal. He’s hunkering behind a truck, eyes laser-focused on the doorway to the speakeasy.

Must have felt the Aether you think. You could drop him, or attempt to. Part of you would certainly like to, just for the sake of it. But you ignore him, focusing instead on the list you are building in your head to get back home.

This is your last day in the Roaring 20s and you have work to do.

Step 1: Turn Dutch and Dapper Dan against each other

Done and done. Guessing that Dutch was the one who killed Dan in the main timeline was a stroke of luck, but it had allowed you rip open that wound. On to the next step.

Step 2: Break in Hamm’s Brewery

Prohibition had obviously taken a toll on Hamm’s, once the 5th largest brewery in the US, but brewers were an industrious bunch, and old Hamm was able to convert his beer brewing into near-beer, soda, and a supposed liquid-bread that you suspect was just beer. Because come on. The brewery is on the north side of the river, and after a longer than ideal jog in the cold, you reach the brewery. Not bothering to shift back into Hortense proper, you hop the gate and help yourself in by smashing the lock on a side door.

You have a shopping list but take a moment to appreciate the smell and sights of the brewery. It had been around when you initially Fell, and Willhelm had been quite fond of Hamm’s back in the day. You could still buy it in Mabin’s time, but it didn’t taste the same.

You get on with your tasks. First, you head to the boilers within the brewery and first attempt to Sabotage them. A nice unexpected boiler the second they are fired up in the morning would be helpful. However, they appear too simple. After standing still for a moment you instead touch the boiler for a moment, gaining a implicit understanding of every moving part, and then just crank it up all the way.

You do the same for the ammonia tanks, smashing them as you go. The gas leaking out puts you on a bit of a time crunch, but you can handle it.

Touching and reading the entire Brewery building, you quickly find what you need.

A truck already loaded with “Hamm’s paint solvent” that you are reasonably sure will explode. You note there is a long roll of fabric in the back, something could easily be in there, but you make a point of not looking. Yet.

Hamm’s office contains a wooden wardrobe, probably for him to sash a set of non-yeasty clothes. As luck, and Demonic powers, would have it, there was also a wonderfully tailored suit and trench coat that fit Hortense’s frame almost perfectly.

Literally whistling now, you head to the worker’s lockers and common room. You hurry because the ammonia smell is getting stronger and the boiler is making a lot of racket. Eventually you come across a well-loved fiddle case and, without opening it or thinking too much what is inside, you toss it onto the passenger side of the truck. Then, starting up the engine thankfully without having to crank, you casually drive through the gate and are out onto the road well before the initial explosion.

Step 3: Blow up Hamms

Technically it’s a predawn explosion, and you understand those take time to respond to, even in the modern world. But it’s practically an hour you are waiting, truck idling behind you. As the first cop car whines up to the crater that used to brew the best drat beer in the North, you until the fabric from the back of the truck and....and disappointed to see scraps of lumber and not the high powered rifle you were expecting. You consider trying again, but you need to get moving.

Step 4: Stop by the bank

You boost another car, leaving the truck semi-hidden in a patch of brambles, and drive to Merchants’ Bank down on Robert’s street. You don’t have any reason to pick it other than you remember it being around more or less at the time, and you can be reasonably sure it’s established. You pull up in your stolen car and shift into park. This of course would be easier with a partner, but you’ll handle it yourself.

Taking the violin case with you, you stride into the bank. There are more people than you expected in the morning, but that’s alright. More witnesses are better.

Popping the latches off the violin case you pull out a Thompson machine gun and the needed circular drum. Slamming the drum home and pulling back on the action you fire into the air. You hold your finger on the trigger far longer than necessary, gleefully watching chips of marble and plaster rain down on the heads of the assembled customers and tellers.

“Aright! Hands up this is a robbery!” you yell, trying to shout over the ringing in your ears. You shove past the stunned customers and hold the now empty violin case up to the window.

“Fill it up.” you say.

“Ex...excuse me?” the shocked teller says.

“Listen, I’m on a bit of a schedule here. Just give me money. Any money, it’s more of the symbolism..”

“I...I... I don't think you know.....what you’re doing.”

Taking that as an invitation you let loose with the tommy gun again, causing everyone in the building to drop.

“The Agreement is over. Dapper Dan’s tossing those no good pigs to the curb!” you yell. Spinning back to the teller you hold the gun up to his face. “Now. Fill. It. Up.”

Five minutes later you walk out of the bank. You hear the squealing of tires and hustle to your car. A police car turns down the street, sirens still off. You gun the engine of your car, lurching forward up the street to meet the cop car. Bracing the tommy gun on the side mirror, you spray the cop car as you rush headlong to it. Eventually either you hit the driver or he loses his nerve as the car swerves to the right, jumping up onto the street and lodging itself into a display window. You drive past the wreck, giving a jaunty wave as you do so.

You’re hungry.

Step 5: Grab Some Lunch

The Green Lantern Saloon is the first stop on any honest crook’s layover in St. Paul. Owned by Dapper Dan and carefully ignored by the police, the Green Lantern is the epicenter of organized crime in St. Paul.

So it’s a surprise to everyone when you jacknife a booze truck into it like the world’s largest molotov cocktail.

You’ve really opened up on the Hamm’s truck when you pick out a point on the roof of a building across the street from the Green Lantern. Accessing your ability to blink from one place to another, you crank the wheel around violently and then zap out of the truck. You appear on the roof in time to see the truck tip, roll, and smash into the Green Lantern. “Solvent” washes over the building and a millisecond bursts into flame. You have enough time to think that Ms. Kind would be proud of you before the shockwave knocks you off your feet.

Step 6: Pick up Mr. Drift.

The afternoon passes awkwardly back in the Bolthole. Drift and you mostly sit in silence, waiting for night when Drift is sure the door will open. Eventually, the two of you make your move. You are forced to stick to the shadows and alleyways. Partially due to Drift’s appearance, but also because there are far more cops around than other times. If you stop and listen, you heard the rattle of weapon fire and the roar of an engine. You have well and truely hosed up the city.

Perhaps a bit too well. You see there is a police presence near the caves, cops have blocked off the entryway with their vehicles and seem to be plotting a raid. Such a thing could be helpful, or could mess up your approach to the door. You figure that subtlety is out of the window at this point so...you transform. You become fully Mr. Ink, a creature of smoke and shadow. Drift is alarmed when you grab him with two of your arms and blink past the cop cars to the caves door. Using your free arms to rip the door’s of their hinges, you toss Drift inside before the hail of gunfire comes from some very startled cops.

“Follow me,” you tell Drift, running down the hallway. As you do you knock over crates of liquor, smash lanterns and lights. Create as much chaos as possible.The speakeasy is empty, but you run into the first of Dapper Dan’s men as you enter the caves. You are a black smear of darkness as you leap from person to person, killing with impunity. You hate that you have to do this (each human life is precious right?) yet part of you finds you enjoy it.

This bloodbath ends as if of course must, at the doorway. With Dapper Dan waiting.

Dapper Dan Hogan is a fat and florid man. He is massive in body and presence, and even though you are a demonic monster, for a moment you are frightened by him. He is a brother of yours, yes, and right now he is rightfully pissed off at you. Dapper Dan’s suit is torn and dirty. It is punctured with bullet holes and stained with what might be blood. But the being in front of you shows no fear.

“I don’t know who the gently caress you think you are or what the gently caress you think you’re doing. But I’m going suck the marrow outta your bones,” he takes a step toward you and his eyes widen. He reels back. “You!”

He’s not talking to you of course. You turn and see Drift standing behind you in the shadows.

You look at Drift questioningly. “Drift?”

“That ain’t Drift,” Dapper Dan mumbled from behind you. “It ain’t even one of us.”

“But I̴ ̸w̸i̵l̴l̸ ̷, be,” Drift buzzes. “Apharị̸̲̔͛e̷̦̓͝l̵̡̜̀̈́. I̵ ̴t̷h̵a̸̧͝ǹ̶͜k̶̩̀ ̵̲̾ỳ̷͕ö̷̼́ǘ̸͓ for b̸͖͐r̷̮̋ȉ̴̱͚̽n̸̹̯̈́g̶̃̍͜ĩ̸͙̝̿n̴͙̏g̴͓͛̽ ̶̬̈m̶̦͍͐ḙ̶͕̆ ̴͉̲̇͌ this far. I can find m̴̨͔̟͂̊͜y̸̭͈̮̘̬̾̈́͊͘ ̶͓͛w̵͈̯̓̎͐͑ạ̷̱͍͘͠ỳ̷̞̘̃̓̋͒͗ ̷̟̫͎̚͝f̷̽̈̓͐̈͝ͅr̷̙̬̘̹̪̪̒͒̔͌͝ȯ̵͕͍̜̖͙͓̿́͝m̴̧̮͚̝͕̄ ̴͉͍̟̗͚̘́h̷̨̦͇͔͎̪̐͋͠ẽ̵̞̞̖̖̮̻r̷̦̼͎̻̗̂̅e̵̔̅͜.̴͚́̾̈́̀͠”̵̜͓͚̣̟̀͘ ̴̹̫͇̜͙̥̄̃̄͝͝”

The buzzing of “Drift”’s speech gets louder and more intense, rattling your bones at an atomic level. Just when you think it will be too much, Drift falls apart. It is not a Demonic Transformation like you can do, instead it is like something comes out of Drift.

It looks like flies at first, but even in this light and this distance you can tell that is not right. It seems to peel Drift off like a skin while at the same time..eating him. It is a swarm of things that are too robotic, too occult to be anywhere near natural. You take a step back, automatically finding comfort in the known but dangerous Dapper Dan, than..whatever this is.

As you step back you feel a tug in the direction of “Drift”. You feel start to feel drained as the swarm swells with power. You realize belatedly that it is eating Aether out of you.

1 The situation has changed, what do you do?
A Try to talk to Drift, figure out what is going on. Both of you take out Dapper Dan
B Team up with Dapper Dan and try to kill this...thing.
C Go Loud and eliminate both of them
D Try to run past Dan to the door. gently caress this.

Feel free to ask questions or ask me to clarify thing. Was pressed for time so I maybe rushed things.

So in that little adventure we rolled Compromise 6 times. We passed every time, twice exceptionally.

We have 4 glitches. 3 minor, 1 major. I’ll gladly take suggestions as to what those are. They will likely vanish after this scene but...who knows!
We’ve also earned several beats in the course of this and earned another XP.

Character Sheet
World Map
Dice Rolls
Conspiracy/Plot Board
Official Playlist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Niiiice.

Well, things were going disastrously well until they weren't.

Based on what we know about unnatural things, do we suspect it would respond to things that effect insects or things that effect machines?

If so, don't we have a big can of bugspray or aluminum dust/shavings in our pockets?