Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you like the Gauntlet Match?
This poll is closed.
Yes, it was great. 24 30.38%
No, it was dumb. 4 5.06%
Not at first, but eventually! 15 18.99%
THE BIG DOG! 36 45.57%
Total: 79 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

:siren: I need somebody to take over doing these Discussion Threads from next week. :siren:

You can do it as funny or silly or angry as you like so long as you include relevant info of who the current champs are and what happened on Raw. I can send you the PSD file I got from KungFu Grip, or you can just produce your own images, whatever you like! Just PM me!

Raw Results
  • The show opened with a moment of silence for the victims of the latest school shooting in America.

• Roman Reigns came out and claimed in an interview that he was going to win at Elimination Chamber and take out Brock at Wrestlemania. He insisted the last time he and Brock met at Mania, he was going to win. Seth Rollins, who DID win that match at Mania, came out so they could kick off the Gauntlet between all the Elimination Chamber contestants.

• Seth defeated Roman after roughly 20 minutes with a roll-up. Roman smiled despite all his big talk before the match, and offered a fistbump to Seth, but before Seth could reciprocate out came John Cena. Seth clotheslined Cena as soon as he entered the ring.

• Seth finally managed to beat Cena just after the first hour of the show had ended. This part of the Gauntlet went REAL long and featured a lot of rest-holds initially, but got really drat good towards the end with a series of false finishes that ended with Seth managing the Curb Stomp on Cena after escaping a second roll-through AA. Elias immediately ran out next and began putting the boots to Seth.

• Cena was interviewed backstage by Renee, where he said he was trying to juggle too much in his life while Seth was obviously hyper-focused on his wrestling, and thus Cena needed to refocus because he NEEDED to be at Wrestlemania.

• Elias pinned Seth, ending a 65 minute run in the Gauntlet. The crowd was PISSED. They gave Seth a standing ovaton as he left. Finn Balor was out next.

• Seth was interviewed backstage by Renee where he said he was pleased to have beaten Roman and Cena back-to-back, but this meant nothing if he didn't win the Elimination Chamber on Sunday.

• Finn defeated Elias with the Curbstomp. The Miz's music played but then he jumped Finn from behind.

• Miz defeated Finn with the aid of the Miztourage and crotching him. BRAUN was next and Miz tried to cheese it, but got caught by Braun who hauled him back to the ring for his mauling.

• Renee interviewed Finn backstage, where he said that at the Elimination Chamber the Miztourage wouldn't be able to help Miz, who would be locked in with him and the others. Finn intended to win and go to Wrestlemania against Brock Lesnar.

• Braun defeated The Miz. Miz did manage to hit the Skull Crushing Finale, but Braun kicked out with authority and murdered Miz some more. Braun was interviewed about this being his first Elimination Chamber, and he claimed the Unknown Feared Him. He called out Brock Lesnar, then stormed back to the ring and killed the Miztourage, grabbed Miz again and killed him too.

• Overall the Gauntlet Match used up 2 of the 3 hours on Raw.

• Jeff Jarrett is legit, seriously, actually going into the WWE Hall of Fame.

• Renee interviewed Asuka in the ring about Nia Jax. As she was talking poo poo about Nia, Nia rushed her from behind. Asuka saw her coming and got some kicks in, but Nia was able to overpower her and hit the Samoan Drop and several leg drops.

• A video package for Ronda Rousey played, including various women wrestlers talking about her.

• Titus Worldwide defeated Tag Team Champions The Bar, much to everybody's surprise. It was a non-title match.

• Bray did a spooky promo saying he hopes the end really is near, especially for Matt Hardy at Elimination Chamber. Matt interupted, and the two went back and forth in their pre-taped segments complete with those awful loving transitions WWE insists on including.

• A repeat of the Black History month video package about the Sanitation Strike.

• The main event was Sasha, Bayley and Mickie James vs Absolution and Alexa Bliss, who went to great lengths to make it clear she didn't want to jump or sneak attack Mickie. Alexa ended up submitted to the Banks Statement by Sasha.

• Absolution jumped Sasha afterwards, then beat up Bayley when she tried to help. Alexa seemed to celebrate with Absolution, until they turned their attention to her. As they approached, Mickie James rushed to her aid. Mickie and Alexa hit a double-DDT on Sonya, and the two left the ring together.

Smackdown Results
  • AJ Styles opened the show with an in-ring interview with Renee Young, where he put over the individual talents of every wrestler in the Fatal Fiveway at Fastlane, but insisted he could beat any one of them. The trouble was, he admitted, that if he focused too much on any one of them, he could lose the title while somebody else was pinning another contender.

• Baron Corbin came out to talk trash about AJ, reminding him he won their last one-on-one match. Kevin came out and went back and forth on the mic with AJ (who tried some DIRE comedy) and then claimed that if he'd had the chance Sami had last week against Ziggler he would have won. Shane immediately came out to announce that AJ would face Corbin tonight, and that Owens would get a chance to prove he was right by facing Ziggler tonight.

• They are STILL doing the record scratch to interupt NOTHING, then silence, then his actual theme for Ziggler's entrance.

• Kevin Owens defeated Ziggler with a Superkick right into the side of the face, thanks to Sami Zayn rushing to ringside and distracting Ziggler simply by his presence.

• Jinder Mahal came to the ring to reveal Bobby Roode's shocking secret: He'd found Roode's top 10 list and had not only voted for himself as number 1, but he hadn't voted for Randy Orton at all! His list was 10. Zack Ryder 9. Tye Dillinger (!) 8. Usos 7. Naomi 6. Becky 5. New Day 4. Nakamura 3. AJ Styles 2. Charlotte 1. Bobby Roode.

• Bobby showed up, said this wasn't his list and that Jinder wouldn't make it on anybody's list regardless. Jinder tried to put words in Bobby's mouth, Bobby refused to play ball and challenged Jinder to fight him right there. Orton showed up, Jinder tried to take advantage, Bobby knocked him out of the ring, blocked an RKO and hit Orton with the Glorious DDT. But as he celebrated, Jinder hit him with the Khallas.

• Backstage, Shane and Orton tried to figure out who Bobby's opponent at Fastlane would be, then began squabbling about Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn again with Shane still apparently trying to sell Bryan as the heel in all this.

• The Riott Squad defeated Charlotte, Naomi and Becky after Ruby Riott pinned Becky. It was a long match and got really good/exciting in the closing stretch. Much better than Raw's main event.

• Kevin met with Sami backstage to apologize for how he acted last week, but Sami stopped him to explain that he owed his current status as a main eventer and headlining to Kevin taking him under his wing, and now he realized what was right was to have Kevin's back and pay him back.

• The New Day (Xavier and BIG E) defeated Shelton Benjamin and Chad Gable with a little help from Kofi. As they celebrated, the Bludgeon Brothers showed up.

• The Bludgeon Brothers murdered two jobbers.

• Charlotte and Ruby Riott did cameraphone promos at each other - Ruby has taken Charlotte's "X down, Y to go" bit, saying she has pinned Becky, will pin Naomi next, and if Charlotte wants to fight she should put her title up at Fastlane.

• They are STILL doing the text graphics on obviously scripted promos. That lead to this:

• AJ Styles defeated Baron Corbin in the main event. Corbin hit an amazing looking Deep 6 on AJ but couldn't get the pin, and AJ was able to hit his usual incredible looking Phenomenal Forearm to get the win.

• Kevin and Sami jumped AJ postmatch to put a beating on him, but as they were prepping to put him through the announce table, Corbin attacked first Sami and then Kevin and left them laying.

:siren: I need somebody to take over doing these Discussion Threads from next week. :siren:

You can do it as funny or silly or angry as you like so long as you include relevant info of who the current champs are and what happened on Raw. I can send you the PSD file I got from KungFu Grip, or you can just produce your own images, whatever you like! Just PM me!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just thought of something. Is there any way they do Cena/Rollins at Mania?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Raw was good and ok and bad all at once so yeah

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium > Rowdy Ringsports > Do You Hear WWE Discussion, Beastie Boy? for 2/19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWu4OGbYsTk

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Ain't he great?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I would actually be much happier with that than Cena/Undertaker, but I don't know what they could really sell it with outside of (fine for me) just being two really loving great wrestlers doing some really great wrestling.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I would actually be much happier with that than Cena/Undertaker, but I don't know what they could really sell it with outside of (fine for me) just being two really loving great wrestlers doing some really great wrestling.

Easy - they both need their Wrestlemania moment. Lose the EC and get desperate and in each other's ways. That escalates to a match.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
That Asuka promo....woof. It was bad. That being said, there are people who are saying it was worse than Bayley's "Why are you booing me?" quip and the "This is Your Life" segment are really dumb and brokebrained. They should look into giving Asuka a manager though, maybe after Wrestlemania/Whenever Brock decides to gently caress off again, have Heyman manage her.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So I hear that gauntlet match was a banger. Should I watch this Raw through definitely not :filez: means?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

I agree, I just feel like they kinda sowed some seeds tonight and with Jordan out I genuinely don't know what Seth does at Mania.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I agree, I just feel like they kinda sowed some seeds tonight and with Jordan out I genuinely don't know what Seth does at Mania.

Winner of the Andre the Giant battle royale!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yep, be aware that the Gauntlet match starts real slow but then gets real good roughly 40-45 minutes in (it is a 2 hour match!)

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I'm not going to say "heel Cena" but Pissed Off Veteran John Cena taking out his aggression after being eliminated on the guy who just did it and it turning into a respect/grudge match would make sense after all this talk about him needing to go to Wrestlemania

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
You think Jarrett can convince Vince to rebrand NXT as GFW?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

is it time to post beastie boys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkRnExHTtS0

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jerusalem posted:

(it is a 2 hour match!)

My mind is just loving blown that WWE did this. Maybe Vince really is ceding control to Hunter.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Rhonne posted:

no but maybe 205 live

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rhonne posted:

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

no but maybe 205 live

I really, really, really want to see a GFW belt with a purple 205 sticker on it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This Photo Shoot show with Kurt Angle on the network is pretty good

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

https://twitter.com/97Abdulmalik/status/964969673770110977

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I think Cena/Taker is pretty much set in stone at this point, I would have been super down for this or Cena/Balor

He could slide in to the rumored Finn/Miz IC title match, though I think it would be better for both if that was a 1 v 1 feud

Though wtf is Braun gonna do, most importantly??

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

listen up slap nuts

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Professor Funk posted:

I think Cena/Taker is pretty much set in stone at this point, I would have been super down for this or Cena/Balor

He could slide in to the rumored Finn/Miz IC title match, though I think it would be better for both if that was a 1 v 1 feud

Though wtf is Braun gonna do, most importantly??

Bring back the IC Title Ladder Match cluster gently caress and do Miz/Finn/Seth/Braun/Cena and I dunno, Crews and Elias?

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Really, really enjoyed the change of pace tonight. Rollins and Braun came across as big time stars. Would have been a top 50 raw of all time if the show ended with Braun destroying Miz.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Between the Gauntlet and Jeff Jarrett's induction, I think Vince shuffled off this mortal coil and WWE is covering it up until they are confident they can media manage it correctly.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Now that I think about it, my favorite part about that Asuka promo was that WWE shot themselves in the foot with it in several ways. It was bad because it was scripted (she should just be able to say whatever she wants in her typical angry japanese ranting, especially considering some of her promos are her swearing in Japanese and threatening to put people in the hospital, and Vince would probably find that great), but it also showed that Asuka DOES speak English (contrary to what WWE has been saying). Just not very well.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

VJeff posted:

Bring back the IC Title Ladder Match cluster gently caress and do Miz/Finn/Seth/Braun/Cena and I dunno, Crews and Elias?

That would be fun. My pet theory is that Miz is going to be Romans first feud as champ, so a competitive one on one loss against either Demon Finn or Braun would set him up really well for that.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

DarkstarIV posted:

Now that I think about it, my favorite part about that Asuka promo was that WWE shot themselves in the foot with it in several ways. It was bad because it was scripted (she should just be able to say whatever she wants in her typical angry japanese ranting, especially considering some of her promos are her swearing in Japanese and threatening to put people in the hospital, and Vince would probably find that great), but it also showed that Asuka DOES speak English (contrary to what WWE has been saying). Just not very well.

The lovely thing about having Asuka speak English on TV literally ever is that she speaks Japanese with Yakuza dialect, and it rules/is terrifying

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Professor Funk posted:

The lovely thing about having Asuka speak English on TV literally ever is that she speaks Japanese with Yakuza dialect, and it rules/is terrifying

I have seen people overreacting, comparing it to Bayley's worst promos (and how Asuka will get buried as a result), but that's pretty overblown. Bayley had one of the worst segments in the history of modern day WWE with "This Is Your Life", and her promo where she decided to go into business for herself and ask the crowd why she was being booed by them. While the This Is Your Life thing was bad, I don't think Vince buried Bayley for that. But I do think he REALLY turned on her when she decided to go out there and ask the crowd why they were booing her.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's like the first part of show was done to get everyone over in a long match and than they forgot about it for the rest of the show which is better for Raw but still funny.

Wonder if the long match was also an audible given the Roman allegations and they rewrote it just in case there is any truth to them.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I think that was a bad Raw, all in all, but I appreciate what they were trying to do and I appreciate them doing something different.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's like the first part of show was done to get everyone over in a long match and than they forgot about it for the rest of the show which is better for Raw but still funny.

Wonder if the long match was also an audible given the Roman allegations and they rewrote it just in case there is any truth to them.

Do the Roman allegations actually have legs?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
1% of pro wrestlers can cut a decent promo, and that's being generous.

'Career defining' promos are always a mistake, unless you got a Rocky Jr up there ready to verbally ear-wallop your various dicks and pussies off.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Remember the career defining Michael Hayes moment when he lip synced to the ring with no music playing

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Professor Funk posted:

Do the Roman allegations actually have legs?

Nobody's sure but given that Roman denied knowing Richard Rodriguez at all and if Rodriguez has proof that could give the story big legs so yeah, probably a good idea to hedge bets.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Supreme Allah posted:

1% of pro wrestlers can cut a decent promo, and that's being generous.

0.00001% of pro wrestlers are good at doing (WWE's) scripted promos, and that's being generous!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DarkstarIV posted:

but it also showed that Asuka DOES speak English (contrary to what WWE has been saying). Just not very well.

They said that once 8 weeks ago.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Has anyone yet chopped this into Bray transforming into a hot dog or some other food item or maybe even Colonel Sanders, or I know, Sea Creature. So many possibilities.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

WWE should do two hours of wrestling more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Cabbit posted:

WWE should do two hours of wrestling more often.

Wrestlemania is bound to have close to two hours of in ring action

• Locked thread