Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tarquinn posted:

I laughed way too hard at the Kelpian part. :D

yeah that's fantastic

i might have to get this mod after goofing around with the new base game some

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Thyrork posted:

Never seen this reply before. :allears:

amazing

:drakengard:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking I might burn the run to the ground and start over, that's probably gonna be beyond my reach entirely.

I love this game, but I suck real bad at it.

play it through and see what totally harmless events happen

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Zore posted:

Only the Hive Minds that want to eat/kill/assimilate everyone are perma-hostile. Their pops never migrate and will die if, say, you conquered one of their planets and cut them off from the hive.

playing as a Nice Hive Mind is a bit of an uphill enterprise though, because everybody else doesn't like you very much

come on dudes, just because nobody else is allowed to participate in Space Kudzu society doesn't mean we can't be chums in different star systems

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Zeron posted:

Fanatic Purifiers + Post Apocalyptic is a fantastic combination. Armageddon bombardment takes awhile to uncolonize the planet, but instant habitable tomb world for you once you finish.

That is genuinely hilarious. :allears:

Terraforming by purifying the xenos.

i think i have my next playthrough after Nice Hive Mind

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Corbeau posted:

Yes. In fact I had no idea they could die until reading the thread just now.

a foreign empire managed to accidentally rescue them for me

and got a placeholder_name diplo boost to my opinion of them for it

too bad I'm Fanatical Purifiers, and also I'm not an ai

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

ulmont posted:

So the Great Khan is busy pushing my poo poo in and alone has a fleet triple mine. Is there a "swear fealty" option that will show up?

I'm trying that "modest-sized spiritualist empire" thing and have a perfect starting location except for, uh, one thing

both of the marauder clans border it directly despite its modest size, one of which is in the middle of loving nowhere

i have some concerns about the midgame

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

imweasel09 posted:

This was kind of my experience with that crisis. Apart from killing the khan while he's isolated (which probably won't happen because of bugs) I didn't feel like it was possible to actually contend with that much fleet power constantly coming out of thin air at that point in the game. If it pops up again I'm probably just going to immediately surrender.

yeah, this and a few other things are bugs that make me juuuuust sad enough that i might put it aside until the first patch pass

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I really don't like scaling costs in games like this. I understand the need for something to prevent total snowballing, but I'd prefer to see some sort of "corruption" or "efficiency" stat that reduces your output rather than bloating the costs, then have techs and government reforms and such that can address that.

I don't want to have to consult a spread sheet to know if expanding to that next juicy planet is actually going to be a net loss, or what the over/under for planet sizes or system resources make it worth claiming. I loved the obvious simplicity of the early civ series corruption mechanic. The more cities you get and the farther from your capital, the more corruption, which leached trade/science away. It was intuitive and simple, you could immediately see and feel the difference when you built a court house or what not. In stellaris I'm having to do math to figure things out. "Ok, this star system is going to bloat my research costs another 2% but it has a +3 society and +2 physics resource in it. 2% extra on my current research projects will be 104 extra points, which means, umm poo poo I don't know what math I need to even do to figure this out"

Like I'm literally too stupid to even understand how to calculate if a new planet or new system is worth getting.

unity is hard, research is easier

Okay, so. Because the thing you're actually trying to minimize is time, not research cost, you always want your marginal percentage increase in research points to be greater than your marginal percentage loss in, uh, percentage. The latter will only very-early-with-cost-bonuses be more than 2% a system (duh) or 5% a planet (duh), so a really quick napkin math estimate is that if grabbing that system's research will increase your total research points combined from all three categories by more than 2%, it's worthwhile from a research perspective. please ignore the energy costs, those are less opaque anyway

As such, a 2 research point system will be basically always worthwhile if you currently have 100 RP per month, 3 at 150, 4 at 200, and so on. Do note that you can blow up underperforming outposts as the game goes on, and probably should.

The actual limitation is: is (RP in system / total current RP) greater than (2 / current research penalty), where a totally unmodified research penalty is 100.

So if you're sitting at 200% research penalty and 200RP, you can grab a 2-RP system and break even because you're increasing your penalty by 1% of the current total and your income by 1% of the current total.

Unity strategy, meanwhile, is weird and scary and so far I'm basically just flying by the seat of my pants. But the research calculations are pretty easy to ballpark.

Corbeau posted:

"Is this planet going to produce more than 5% of my research output?" does not require a spreadsheet to figure out.

Expanding to new planets is pretty much always better in the long run, it'll just put you behind while it builds up infrastructure and fills out it's population. Individual systems are different since the stations aren't as flexible as planet tiles, but you can still make a similar calculation when it comes to research stations. And if you're expanding to raw resource stations, just consider it a trade-off. It seems a strong strategy to stay slim, research up to a timing attack, then claim a bunch of mining station systems to build your war industry.

If you go on a huge expansion spree without building up behind it then yeah, your tech and unity are going to crater and you'll be behind for a long time.

:eng101: While I totally agree on planets and the 2%-5% of output mark is a super simple guideline that functionally never fails, you can squeeze out a little more horsepower with only a little more math, as above.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 25, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

ZypherIM posted:

Oh man there should be a fallen empire that demands pretty borders.

I've figured out how to handle horrendous shaped empires and am in favor of this.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Space Skeleton posted:

I downgraded a starport back to outpost and the system still has the FTL inhibitor icon. I wonder if it really works.

:stare:

That's incredibly vile and should have been spoiler tagged to prevent temptation.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

It's been Monday for like 16 hours in Sweden, where's my bugfix patch :mad:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Taear posted:

Pacifist seems like a trap option. I can't really do much of anything any more. Not even proper wars of liberation!

Yeah I'm not sure how to fix it but "adjust the coefficients and whatnot on the war exhaustion system" is on my bugfix wishlist.

If admittedly below things like

- Fix or adjust the "leaders spontaneously gently caress off from fleets,"
- Which makes it nearly impossible to hunt down and murder the Space Mongol Khan :mad:
- Fix that rare weird fleet manager thingy before I get it
- Assimilator and Devourer hive minds are crippled because of that unrest error, which is more important than a bunch of hippie peaceniks being crippled
- apparently one of the endgame crises is unbeatable due to a planet-reconquest problem

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

I just need to think of a word that properly represents the attitude of, say, medieval China towards its neighbours.

"correct"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

It's almost like he reads the thread!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

Fair warning: if you skip a tier in progression of a weapon due to salvaging, your starbases will not adjust :downs:

I have researched Marauder missiles but never got around to Fusion Missiles because I salvaged Antimatter Missiles from pirates. So, my stations still use Nuclear Missiles.

:laffo:

that's frankly a pretty horrendous bug

you should be able to alter your starbase loadout, or at least it'd be a good bandaid to let you pick whether to use non-tier missiles or top-tier missiles

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

goddamn lazy military contractors, stamping out starbases from their generic starbase press

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Spanish Matlock posted:

I mean considering how they got war and ships and poo poo so so right with this patch I'm kind of hoping there'll be a similar patch in the future that does something with domestic empire management.

Space President Ted Cruz runs on a platform that he will turn four of our delicious subject pops into food.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TGLT posted:

Eh, it can be both. The influence and unity civics for hive minds talks about keeping your drones in line and stopping them from diverging too much, so they're not all totally the same entity. Kinda like different thought processes.

Reminds me of the Imperial Radch trilogy, where one of the central conflicts is different instantiations of the Supreme Leader deciding that the other group of instantiations has been compromised by hostile powers. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Trivia posted:

I started a new game. Things were going swimmingly. Then I meet my neighbors, fanatical purifiers no less. "No problem." I think, surely I can beat them in a rush.

Then I start scouting and see that the game really hates me.

It's a bit hard to see, but that ONE system has 38 loving minerals in it. From what I assume is a shattered planet.

gently caress you, game.

just wait until they start mining it

:cthulhu: :gibs:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Jazerus posted:

this is kind of a mischaracterization. from the very beginning, augustus had a fairly large household staff that doubled as, essentially, command staff for the empire as a whole, handling routine communications from governors and directing policy in the significant chunk of the empire that had non-senatorial governors because augustus owned it as personal property. he had a huge network of clients, both inherited from caesar and established himself, who carried out his will outside of formal channels, including some agents you could accurately describe as secret police, who watched the administrations of the provinces for unusual levels of corruption and hunted national security threats.

this informal imperial administration kept going as though augustus were still alive for quite a while after he died, in the sense that they ran the empire in basically the same way as augustus would have while his successors brooded and partied and went into bloodthirsty rages. diocletian formalized what remained of it as an actual imperial court because he loved the trappings of monarchy, and because it desperately needed to be formalized to continue operating.

i love the name / probably-origin of his pseudo-secret-police

the frumentarii, or "dudes who collect wheat"

because the Agriculture Guy develops a shitload of contacts

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

It's for lowering your fleet score so enemies think you are an easy target. If you're playing pacifist you often depend on other people declaring war on you, but them seeing you are more powerful tends to change their mind. Take your huge fleet, refit all the weapons out and call them a civilian reserve fleet giving you almost no declared official military. AI declares war on what they think is an easy target, you re-arm your ships and then make outrageous war demands as your pacifist empire goes on a purely defensive war on conquest.

I like this image.

"please pay no attention to the convenient Space Ikea pop-on gun turrets in the next hangar over"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

You know, I was thinking that Tomb World starts had a weird / low resource allocation.

so obviously the solution is to buff one of the best traits :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Xmas Pterodactyl posted:

Does building a colossus break war goals? Or are war goals bugged in some way?

In my current play through I've decided it's time to vassalise the galaxy. I unlocked the domination unity thing and successfully vassalised one of my neighbours by setting it as a war goal. However, since unlocking the colossus, I only get Total War casus belli as an option. No option for subjugation, despite repeating demanding vassalisation and having the notification pop up saying that subjugation is available as a caus belli. On declaring war, only Total War is available.

Is this intended?

happened to me, no clue if it's intended

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Xerophyte posted:

So, apparently your hired scientists have now learned now clone themselves.

Not sure the duplication is periodic or on renewing the research aid treaty. They don't seem to take up any new leader slots either. I had a 4th one out in a science vessel for a while.

Also, first game I bothered to take to a legit ironman win. :toot: Haven't really played since before Utopia, sure seems easier to hit domination now. Probably helped that I played Ensign or whatever the way-too-easy no bonuses difficulty was. Won in the 2360s, didn't even have time to get any of the formal crises. I did sort of manufacture my own in 2350 by having my fanatic materialist space penguins leave the shackles of the flesh behind and ascend to a pure and synthetic form ... while bordering a spiritualist fallen empire. The spiritualists did not appreciate my choices. I managed to barely eek out the tech to get the 33% FE damage ascension perk before they declared, which let my fleets wear theirs down. They neutron purged 6 of my worlds before I inflicted enough casualties for them to call it quits.

I was just rubbing my hands in glee at putting all their juicy tech and silly sacred gaia worlds to better uses when the game announced domination.

Other bugs observed:
- Going cybernetic when you've gene modded some of your pops for specific climates and the like doesn't work right. Everyone just reverts to the baseline type with cybernetic, so my sand penguins suddenly got a hankering for the arctic. For now you should either toy with genetic improvements or the embrace the immortal purity of the machine, I guess.
- This might have been me fudging the controls, but I got jump drive in the Big FE War and figured I'd use it to jump an aid fleet from my core shipyards to the front. I didn't realize there was a little tiny circle for the range, so I tried jumping to the distant front, which somehow got two of my other fleets lost in space for a few months instead.
- The ensign AIs had a lot of trouble dealing with their own pirates. A few empires seemingly got their entire navies wrecked, repeatedly, and never recovered.

I'd have kept playing mechano-space-penguins at least long enough to gloat over the corpse of the silly theists.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Gimmick Account posted:

Wiz or Mune, any chance we could get a cute avian portrait like a rowi kiwi lookalike in the forseeable future? I really liked the cuties pack (especially when horribly mismatched with sinister ideologies), but the avian species group that I am otherwise quite fond of doesn't really have anything that fits the bill.

for a moment I was excited that there were more adorable portraits in a new dlc pack for me to turn into zerg or purifiers or fascists, but apparently it's just the ones packaged with Leviathans :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

I started a game as post-apocalyptic fanatic purifiers and have been "terraforming" planets into tomb-worlds.

this was like my second game and it worked quite well