Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Looking forward to an Ecco game, it's been a while. Replacement list, please :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

EccoRaven posted:

The Aquiline Conspiracy has reached a bloody climax (ASSASSIN VICTORY). Congrats to the victor(s).

Also, I did not need another reminder of my poor choice as kingmaker in LYLO :(

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Max posted:

I felt bad at the end of that game because I was with gulag and was fairly certain Sam was the final scum. But I was also asking for Sam to NK me so I figured I would only argue the point if I was rudely kept alive.

Eh, it's all good. That was the first time I was in that situation. I'll learn :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

EccoRaven posted:

if we don't get more signups by tomorrow night I'm gonna throw it in. ask your friends!

I'll convert my replacement list request into an actual slot for now if it helps us fill. :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Atomic Soda posted:

more people need to sign up to this ecco games are great

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

sentimental snail posted:

forums poster Moatillata is correct

Yes indeed :getin:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

BottleKnight posted:

Players I'm excited to play with: all of you. I'm excited to play with all of you.

I haven't played mafia in a while and, based on the flavor, mod, and player list, I think this is going to be a very good game. :)

Welcome back BK!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Awesome! Looking forward to the game :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Gridlocked posted:

I got a PM that said "Spend less on candles."

Modkill for quoting role PM imo

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I Understand That If I Do Not Unvote The Mod Will Not Count A Revote Unless I Am A Doublevoter.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

EccoRaven posted:

Reactor warning. Coolant leak on level seventy-seven. Reactor overload in 22 cycles. Immediate attention is required.

>turn reactor off and then on again

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Birdstrike posted:

I will unvote you if you correctly state who the prettiest player here is.

It's me.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Birdstrike posted:

lie detect these posts please I don’t believe tjem

Sent the request to Ecco, she says it's true. :sparkles:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I have no idea how long my work day is going to be today since I was sick yesterday, so I would like to sit out the sub adventure this time.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I don't think Ecco specified whether they're coming back on D1 or not, it's just "until the minigame is over" .. so I honestly don't even want to throw down any serious votes until I know if they'll be back or not before the end of the day.

EccoRaven posted:

Since they will be gone, the votecount has been reset. The seven players can neither receive votes nor be the target of night actions until they return.

From that last line, I don't think they're coming back today, at the very least.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

King Burgundy posted:

Hi, I'm in this game now.

Welcome, Pancho! :worship: :ese:

Atomic Soda posted:

yeah i find the whole tmm thing weird as well, like scum excuses not to participate frankly.

interested in your read when you're up for getting into it.i'm also not convinced the sub seven will be back this game day.

Speaking of weird, I don't know why the idea of the sub folks coming back today keeps coming up as a point of discussion. I thought Ecco made it pretty clear they weren't coming back today.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Dick Bastardly posted:

how about we lunch birb today and if 1. if he flips scum; we will all clap and be joyful and have fun, or 2. if he flips town; we lunch me next.

I'm okay with this plan, actually. ##vote Birdstrike

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Dick Bastardly posted:

Whats your take on IS's vote?

Dick Bastardly posted:

There isn't much to go on really.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Birdstrike posted:

duckyb proposing a chain dunk is bad but IS going along with it is worse imo
##unvote
##vote IS

Not like anything else is going on in this game right now. But sure, if that's what you feel like you have to do, be my guest.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Interesting how fast DB flipped off that Birdstrike vote, though.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Atomic Soda posted:

why are/were you ok with this plan?

I was/am primarily okay with this plan because:

A) I'm not a huge fan of D1 in general
B) There's very little specifically going on in D1 this game, since apparently
C) All the effort-posters got on the sub, and
D) if DB felt strongly enough about his read on Birdstrike to advocate for his own dunk if Birdstrike flipped scum, then I'm inclined to go along with it and see what happens.

However, since DB then immediately jumped off that vote to vote me, it seems I now need to take a look at DB more closely.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

##unvote

Catching up on what I missed from last night now.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Dick Bastardly posted:

I'm not scum. I voted birb because I believe in mr F, and thought he (birb) was the scummiest read I had in a very content light game so far. But then IS came with the more scummy me-too vote. These are the reasons for my votes so far.

tbqh at the time I made my "me-too" vote I took your comment at face value and wanted to do something to get the game moving in any kind of direction. If that winds up resulting in my own dunk, then fine- but you're saying "I believe in Mr. F", which appears to be this "case":

Mr. F! posted:

I NEED EVERYONE TO PLEASE MAKE A POST THAT SAYS ONLY “I am scum”. NOTHING ELSE JUST “I am scum”.

THANK YOU THAT IS ALL

Mr. F! posted:

Oh, scared to post it?

Mr. F! posted:

##vote birdstrike

I'd love to believe I'm misinterpreting and you have better info to go on but F has made like five posts since the game started, so yeah.

##vote DB

BottleKnight posted:

Yeah, the immediate reversal to voting someone who agreed with you is really scummy to me. Like a lovely gacha.

:agreed:

SalTheBard posted:

I want to throw a theory out:

Is it possible that maybe all the scum team / all but one scum went on the sub? Is it possible we are all town just chasing our tails around?

Think how advantages it would be for the entire team to go on the sub. Don't have to worry about being cuddled, don't have to push a case on a townie because town will just do their work for them AND if they did leave one scum member behind they have a NK.

The more I think about it the more I think that could be a distinct possibility.

Yeah, no, I don't think so. I doubt scum knew for sure what the sub thing would lead to. Beyond that, there's still a lot of folks here being real quiet and there's likely scum among them too.

Hal Incandenza posted:

As Max said, I think you have played enough mafia to not really buy into the mr f thing

I can't argue with the IS part though, he's played enough that I have a hard time believing he thinks that was a good case to go along with

Wanted to get the game moving as stated earlier and also hadn't seen DB's justification yet which obviously as posted above I don't agree with.

Atomic Soda posted:

adding sober and probably bk to my scum list

thankyou but is till think you are suss:

a) no one is
b) yes and
c)so? i don't think it likely all the scum got on the one boat.

d) is the only think that relates to a plan to lunch birdy then go for db, and still reads more like scum tactic than town. for example a more town thing would be to perhaps say lets lunch sober, then if he flips scum i'd be up for lunching bk, hypothetically.

You basically agree then with everything I posted with the exception of D) and I'm not seeing how your example of a "more town thing" is fundamentally any different really.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Deadbeat Dad posted:

But what the gently caress do I know

mafia.txt

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Birdstrike posted:

all the votes should be on me, dickyb or IS imo

Apart from KB's vote on BK that's already the case but there's eight people who haven't voted and deadline's today, so, yeah.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

King Burgundy posted:

I still like my BK catch. Seems like something someone would do that doesn't need to pay attention to the thread but is trying to pretend they are.

I'm fine voting either of IS/DB though. I'll be around to swap.

BK posted something wondering when the sub people were coming back after we'd already been over that at least once which seems to further your argument that they aren't reading the thread:

BottleKnight posted:

I might have missed it, when do the sub people come back? Do we have any info on that?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Atomic Soda posted:

part of that statement was me having fun, but i do think there is a difference between these two examples.

a) lets lunch person 1, if they're not scum then lets lunch person 2 for pushing them; vs
b) lets lunch person 2, if they're scum then lets lunch person 2 for defending them.

i would look on the person making statement b much more favourably esp at this stage of the game.

##vote sober

Thank you for the clarification; I understand what you meant a little better now.

That said; there was almost literally nothing going on in this game at the moment in time DB posted that and I followed up with the agreement and the vote. As I said earlier, if DB was that willing to stick his neck out there for his read, I was willing to vote with him and see how Birdstrike reacted to the pressure and/or how others felt. (As it turned out, it was basically a "gotcha" on me, which obviously wasn't my preferred outcome but at least has stimulated content for the remainder of the day and without it we would be far less informed).

Had that line of thinking taken off and we dunked Birdstrike today and he flipped town, I wouldn't have necessarily locked myself into a DB dunk D2, because we'd theoretically have night actions and possible results to discuss. But I suppose I see your point that your second example would leave far more wiggle room and just by sheer numbers we're far more likely to dunk town than scum D1 anyway.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

BottleKnight posted:

You going very quickly in the span of a 3 and a half hours going from agreeing with me about my reasoning re: DickB to suddenly softcasing me reads as just trying to save your own skin, not earnestly scumhunting as town should. I feel a lot worse about you after catching up today.

##unvote

##vote IS

There's been very little "earnest scumhunting" by anyone this game, but we're going to have to agree to disagree.

I'm starting to get a little annoyed so I'm going to step away for a bit. Do what you want to do. Obviously I want to stay in the game but if my attempts to defend myself are being read as scummy, fine.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Okay, I'm back and should be around for the next hour or so- might not be here all the way to deadline.

For anyone who's on the fence between DB and I (since we seem to be the two candidates for today); I have a role that should be able to provide information tomorrow. I don't want to fullclaim right now but I don't mind doing so at the start of the day tomorrow if I'm here.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Max posted:

You’re at -1 and most people are either going to sleep or will be soon (me included.) I don’t know what you’re waiting for.

I didn't want to fullclaim and get blocked by scum and be right back in the same position tomorrow. I wanted to have a chance at getting relevant results.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Dozed off, sorry, hang on a minute and I'll full-claim if you're that insistent.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I'm a self-watcher with a single shot of BP.

I said I'd have results figuring that with all the action today somebody (either town or scum) would visit and I'd claim it at the start of the day tomorrow so it could be verified.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Birdstrike posted:

let’s make it happen ##vote dickyb

If you're trying to switch, you didn't unvote first.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Birdstrike posted:

how silly of me

:goshawk:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Dick Bastardly posted:

you didn't even wait for anyone to insist. everyone keep in mind that this could be bait or even a gambit (ie. bait a visit for a pgo kill, or scum buddy claims to visit and IS verifies fakely)

DBD's posts over the last few minutes while I was asleep seemed to say otherwise and it's not like there was a lot of time left at this point to sit on info anyway.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

BottleKnight posted:

he has a very good prognosis and it hasn't spread, caught it early, lots of good signs etc etc

but cancer sucks rear end

:ghost: thinking good thoughts for you and your dad, BK :ghost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Good game, town. Don't regret stirring up an exceptionally uneventful D1 even though it led to my own demise. :)

Reading along, thought DBD had an exceptional game- had most of the scum pegged in some form or fashion and wouldn't let us off the hook easily. Nice work.

Also thought Hal did a great job prolonging our chances in a pretty bad situation overall from D2 onward.

Would be interested to hear people's thoughts on the balance of this one now that all roles are revealed. I know we felt a little under-powered but I'm not sure how much of that was balance vs. losing power roles early. That said, had we sent TMM on the sub, I think it would have felt even worse.

Thanks for hosting, Ecco! Have a great trip! (Also, the flavor for the N1 TMM kill was fantastic and had me laughing for quite a while!)

• Locked thread