Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
slay the spire is a roguelike card game. it's in early access right now (ya :rollseyes: i know) but its still pretty epic. i've played 24 hours of it and feel like i could at least double that before i'm bored of the content currently in the game. plus there adding new stuff every week.

basically its a dungeon crawler but instead if just hitting the slash button to kill enemies you build a deck and try to figure out cool synergies and find Trinkets and then see if your deck idea works out. i wasn't super interested by the description when i heard about it but actually figuring out cool card combos and stuff is a lot of fun and it doesnt eat diarrhea out of a pigs rear end. i love to slay the spire. its 15 dollars on steam and i think more ppl should play it.

pic for reference (thumbnailed because it rather large so click to make it normal size

am i the only imp playing this good rear end game right now? leave a comment below.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ive been meaning to pick it up but early access. i might wait for a couple months until its closer to done

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i thought slay the spire was slang code for a Cool Drug Thing

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Fungah! posted:

ive been meaning to pick it up but early access. i might wait for a couple months until its closer to done

yeah i can’t wait to see what it’ll be like with the new characters and something like 50+ more cards they said they wanted to add in. it’s win now but it will only get more win as time goes on

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

[quote="“Bolverkur”" post="“481576445”"]
i thought slay the spire was slang code for a Cool Drug Thing
[/quote]

it’s slang code for a cool video game. you can still do cool drug things while playing it if your into that kind of thing but please be safe

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I'm interested but gently caress paying for a beta

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Nice, a new indie treasure loved by Bob, Larry, and Luke. Oh you better believe this is going to be balls to the walls awesome.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Wormskull posted:

Nice, a new indie treasure loved by Bob, Larry, and Luke. Oh you better believe this is going to be balls to the walls awesome.

None of those people (?) have endorsed the game in this thread.. da gently caress? I thought you were laying off the hooch dude

dionysian
Dec 30, 2012

Wormskull posted:

Luke knows the score.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Thanks for sharing the deets on an early access roguelike OP. Looks great.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

it’s actually pretty fleshed out as far as early access games go. there’s already like 30-50 hours of content depending on how much you like the concept and the devs move pretty quick too wrt updates — and the icing on the cake? they are also very active on the subreddit and make changes based on gamer feedback. it’s FTW

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Weird Al - Active on the Subreddit.mp3

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Lmfao

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

lmfao

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
this looks promising, but i don't want to pay for a beta. the last deckbuilder RPG game i tried was pretty lovely, even though it seems like an easy enough concept to get right.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted:

lmao

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

I liked Dead Cells.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

I liked Dead Cells.

*points a rifle at your head whilst crying*

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i've been playing this for a week or so now. i'm enjoying it a lot! figuring out how to deal with the attacks that are going to be thrown at you while still buffing up and/or hitting back is very satisfying. you might think that knowing exactly what the enemies are going to do every turn might make the game easy or boring, but hell, it really works!

the loot feels very good, too. it's "early access" but honestly doesn't need to be; i'm excited for them to add the third character but I think it feels very solid as is. got a couple of wins under my belt but i still want to play more, try out more builds, get in more fights. it's a good game!

here's me eating a boss after a very easy and not close at all battle:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
drat, it looks ugly as hell. i guess it doesn't have to have great graphics, but lol

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I've played it and it's pretty good. It'd be cool if they added a ton more and made it super huge and diverse like isaac, but I have a feeling they won't.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wormskull posted:

*points a rifle at your head whilst crying*
Liked. Then they patched in a ton of extra boss health in a lovely update and I remembered why you never buy early access games.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's like 90% of these games: 1 or 2 cool things ruined by procedural generation

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Plebian Parasite posted:

I've played it and it's pretty good. It'd be cool if they added a ton more and made it super huge and diverse like isaac, but I have a feeling they won't.

have you played monster slayers

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

procedural generation is fine, see: Binding of Isaac, FTL

It’s when it’s lazily used in place of a traditional narrative that it sucks

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I do think the graphics need a pass over or a big sale before I’ll be interested though

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

procedural generation is fine, see: Binding of Isaac, FTL

It’s when it’s lazily used in place of a traditional narrative that it sucks

yeah, i agree. i love spelunky, but that's proc gen done correctly and with actual level design behind it. it's also pretty rare for these games, and most of them are like dead cells where it's four thousand identical boring rooms that might as well all be the same thing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was interested in dead cells until they announced they weren't ever leaving early access and then raised the price.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
it's good

Plebian Parasite posted:

not sure how many but additional cards/events/encounters is something on their roadmap

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

PleasingFungus posted:

i've been playing this for a week or so now. i'm enjoying it a lot! figuring out how to deal with the attacks that are going to be thrown at you while still buffing up and/or hitting back is very satisfying. you might think that knowing exactly what the enemies are going to do every turn might make the game easy or boring, but hell, it really works!

the loot feels very good, too. it's "early access" but honestly doesn't need to be; i'm excited for them to add the third character but I think it feels very solid as is. got a couple of wins under my belt but i still want to play more, try out more builds, get in more fights. it's a good game!

here's me eating a boss after a very easy and not close at all battle:

Agreed on all counts.

• Locked thread