Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This subforum is home to some of the most obsessive political minds in the country. Our following of events is constant. Since the Escalator, our people have sacrificed their mental stability to exhaustively chronicle the true insanity that is modern American politics. We are in the Library of Congress. We are a known factor to several Beltway journalists. Our potential influence is vast, and untapped. So let's fix that. Let's do something with our encyclopedic knowledge and pure judgement. Let's find a 2020 Dem ticket we can all get behind.
"SANDERS/WARREN 2020!!!"
ok, no.
Perhaps the most troubling truth facing the Dem Presidential hopes right now, besides the potential abolishing of elections, is that the three biggest names, Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, and Joe Biden, are all really loving old. Too old, in fact. Which is why I'm taking these and other names out of this thread with a simple rule:
1. Neither the President nor Vice President of your ticket may have been born on or before January 20th, 1951.
With this rule, I believe this discussion is one worth actually having. And, because some of you are total jokers, let's add in two other rules.
2. Both people on your ticket must be constitutionally eligible to be President.
3. Both people on your ticket must currently hold or have held public office.
As much as I'd love to entertain the possibility of VP Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, I feel that "Best Celebrity VP" is a topic worthy of a different, more casual thread.

Now, as for my ticket:
There are three (3) currently serving Senators who fit the age requirement and have both
1. Cosponsored Bernie's Medicare For All plan.
2. Voted to keep the government shut down when Schumer caved in after three days.

They are: Cory Booker, Kamala Harris, and Kirsten Gillibrand. While all three have very respectable voting records, Gillibrand has been the most consistent in opposing Trump.
However, Gillibrand has the issue of her record as a Representative, where she was as "centrist" as they come, having an A rating from the NRA (which was downgraded to an F in 2010.) Her alleged opportunism has been commented on by Trump, who suggested she was willing to perform sexual favors in exchange for donations. Ultimately, as it is in the real world, there is no perfect pure savior to pass every purity test we give them. There are no saints. And that's why this discussion should be had. So we can, like reasonable people, discuss the pros and cons of everyone who passes the litmus tests that actually are valid and realistic, like supporting universal health care, an absolute must for any Dem 2020 candidate.

The position of Vice President is mostly ceremonial and unimportant, except when the President dies and then it's extremely important. Keith Ellison is an extremely popular choice around here, but I would note that he seems to have political ambitions that don't involve the President dying, specifically being the Minnesota AG, which would be extremely cool and good. So, with that in mind, I'm interested to know what other House Reps, or hell, Governors, or AGs, or state congresspeople there are that could be the apple of C-SPAMs eye.

Let the discussion begin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Trump/Pence

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Let's find a 2020 Dem ticket we can all get behind.
"SANDERS/WARREN 2020!!!"
ok, no.

quit astroturfing for the dnc op

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

id rather have the ancient corpse of bernie sanders in there than any of the shitlibs you settled on op

respectable voting records lmao

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

bernie sanders and elizabeth warren

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
itll be bernie barring some sort of catastrophe, OP

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

im goin back in time and making sure jeremy corbyn was born in the us

Corbyn/Bernsen 2020

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

the bitcoin of weed posted:

id rather have the ancient corpse of bernie sanders in there than any of the shitlibs you settled on op

Cool cult mentality you got there.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

the bitcoin of weed posted:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

youre right op kamala harris' history of defending prison labor and cory booker's love of private equity and school privatization dont actually matter because even though they fought hard on those things they technically didnt cast any votes

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

They are: Cory Booker, Kamala Harris, and Kirsten Gillibrand.

lol no

gas

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

"SANDERS/WARREN 2020!!!"

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
if you care about 2020 you're a cop

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

gillibrand has been rushing towards the left ever since trump got elected and would make a not terrible (for democrats) choice

the vp should be Keith Ellison

bernie is running in 2020 and he will win

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

GalacticAcid posted:

if you care about 2020 you're a cop

Im glad the DSA is looking longterm

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

imagine making a rule that your candidate cannot be some useless celebrity or old after america elected Useless Celebrity Dotard Donald J Trump as its president

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

TheDon01 posted:

Im glad the DSA is looking longterm

wait nvm good joke

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm gonna run for president and win

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/nickmullen/status/798553102961942528

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

dick wolf

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

an actual dog posted:

I'm gonna run for president and win

weve found bernie's account folks

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

dick/wolf

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
There are no perfect politicians.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

There are no perfect politicians.

wrong,

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sir, this is a Joe's Crab Shack. if you're looking for a cure to your debilitating case of purestrain liberalism, try a local anarchist bookstore

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

beepe boop i choose my candidates based on arbitrary vote percentages from 538, im a modern day Sensible Democrat. gillibrand/booker 2020

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I really don't get the age rule. People age differently, and lots of people go into their 70s and 80s without going full brainworms like mr. trump

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
you/me 2020 in the ultimate pandering presidency

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
who is "you" you may ask? well it's you. yes, you. congratulations, gender neutral title president

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
will i get a tax credit for posting in this thread op

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

poz my neg hole

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/nickmullen/status/798553102961942528

e;fb but whatever

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 22:48 on Feb 23, 2018

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

actually liking a politician, heh. *hehs* Cool cult mentality you got there.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Nichael posted:

lots of people go into their 70s and 80s without going full brainworms like mr. trump
So which D has brainworms so they can win the election? :thunk:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

actually liking a politician, heh. *hehs* Cool cult mentality you got there.

Yes, liking a singular politician is indeed incredibly stupid.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
alex jones 2020 who will somehow fight the government while being in charge of it

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

hillary clinton warped the centrist mind so much that a politician being actually likeable and human in any way is considered dangerous cultism

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

for the record i unequivocally support bernie over any of these other libs because he's the only major democrat who actually focuses on the Main Issue and gets Actually Angry about it, which is railing against the "millionaire and billionaires" ie the capitalists for their looting of America and the World. Until another Democrat does this better I'm gonna vote bernie i dont care if he's 120 and spent the last 20 years hosting a celebrity competition reality tv show with Carrot TOp

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

for the record i unequivocally support bernie over any of these other libs because he's the only major democrat who actually focuses on the Main Issue and gets Actually Angry about it, which is railing against the "millionaire and billionaires" ie the capitalists for their looting of America and the World. Until another Democrat does this better I'm gonna vote bernie i dont care if he's 120 and spent the last 20 years hosting a celebrity competition reality tv show with Carrot TOp

You realize that "Yells the best about the thing I hate the most" is literally the reason Donald Trump won the Republican primary, right? You are cognitively aware of that similarity in your candidate selection process for President of the United States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

You realize that "Yells the best about the thing I hate the most" is literally the reason Donald Trump won the Republican primary, right? You are cognitively aware of that similarity in your candidate selection process for President of the United States.

yeah and he won the presidency unlike the Good Policy Reasonable Candidate With the Right Votes and Experience

• Locked thread