Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Just watched the Netflix movie Mute. It's decent. The aesthetic is good, and the secondary cast(which includes Paul Rudd) is great. The story however is just a hot mess of poor motivation, and questionable decisions.

It seems like there's been an uptick in movies featuring silent protagonists though?

Anyways, this is a thread for talking about the movie Mute, but also for talking about why the inability to verbally communicate is becoming a part of the Zeitgeist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
It’s cuz everyone is an autistic man baby op

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
If you don’t say anything the Chinese censors can’t get angry

Modern movies self censor so they can distribute in China which makes up 40% or some other ridiculous % of international ticket sales

http://www.ibtimes.com/hollywood-studios-are-self-censoring-movies-appease-communist-censors-china-says-us-2163232

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
The thing is most people can't write dialogue for poo poo. The only way to be cool in movies is to underact and be the strong silent type.

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

Caganer posted:

Modern movies self censor so they can distribute in China which makes up 40% or some other ridiculous % of international ticket sales

http://www.ibtimes.com/hollywood-studios-are-self-censoring-movies-appease-communist-censors-china-says-us-2163232

China ruining everything as usual

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
this is the first generation of film makers who grew up on video games instead of movies

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Amarcarts posted:

The thing is most people can't write dialogue for poo poo.

I disagree. I DISAGREE TO HELL!!!!

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Amarcarts posted:

The thing is most people can't write dialogue for poo poo. The only way to be cool in movies is to underact and be the strong silent type.

It worked in drive

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
Fury Road was a masterpiece, OP. Take your MRA/Incel poo poo elsewhERe. Ya dig?

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
You still have to be a good actor to be silent the whole movie and not bore everyone to sleep

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Finally we can get a Half-Life movie.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

the only thing better than a silent protagonist would be a silent op who does not post or communicate in any way.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
no

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Mute is 11% on RT, geez louise Zowie Bowie

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I hope blind protagonists are the next big thing in the movies. Just imagine all the money you'd save on extras and special effects if you film it in first person!

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Guy Goodbody posted:

this is the first generation of film makers who grew up on video games instead of movies

my favorite movie is metal gear solid

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Colonel Cancer posted:

I hope blind protagonists are the next big thing in the movies. Just imagine all the money you'd save on extras and special effects if you film it in first person!

There's already like 30 Zatoichi movies do they really need another reboot

If Hollywood then I assume it would be a white Zatoichi

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Finally we can get a Half-Life movie.

this but GTA3

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Americanize the story and make him a heroic blind guy with a gun. Played by Keanu Reaves.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Caganer posted:

True this.

It's why they made "The Ancient One" in Dr. Strange a white woman with an English accent instead of a Tibetan wise man.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Colonel Cancer posted:

Americanize the story and make him a heroic blind guy with a gun. Played by Keanu Reaves.

gently caress you forever.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i just wish they would bring silent protagonists back to video games. i'm looking at you Fallout 4, that was awful :colbert:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Colonel Cancer posted:

No no, it would still be set in Japan. He would just be a white guy for no reason. Maybe with a black sidekick.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

yeah.........silent but deadly :keke:

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
The Tribe is a good, unpleasant movie where everyone is silent cuz it’s set in a deaf boarding school.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Rutger Hauer in "Blind Fury".

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Well you see, these trends come and go in waves. In the early 1900s it was very popular to never have the protagonist speak, or anyone else really, and instead have a big ol ragtime piano playing in the background. I think we are about to see a lot more of this type of movie in the future, but instead of a detuned piano, it might be a detuned synthesizer laying some fat chords.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Mute is 11% on RT, geez louise Zowie Bowie

Seems about right for what I'd call a top tier Netflix original

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Mooey Cow posted:

Well you see, these trends come and go in waves. In the early 1900s it was very popular to never have the protagonist speak, or anyone else really, and instead have a big ol ragtime piano playing in the background. I think we are about to see a lot more of this type of movie in the future, but instead of a detuned piano, it might be a detuned synthesizer laying some fat chords.

Fat chords

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Rutibex posted:

i just wish they would bring silent protagonists back to video games. i'm looking at you Fallout 4, that was awful :colbert:

The best video game characters are the ones who have no other lines aside from "heh".

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting
SUBTLE PLOTLINES, RIP AND TEAR

Jak and Daxter and the Precursor Legacy had a GOAT silent protagonist too. IMO videogames that leave the voices in your heads like it usually is are nice

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Has anyone done a video game movie with a silent protagonist? I hope the ready player one movie does that.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Split Pea Superman posted:

Just watched the Netflix movie Mute. It's decent. The aesthetic is good, and the secondary cast(which includes Paul Rudd) is great. The story however is just a hot mess of poor motivation, and questionable decisions.

It seems like there's been an uptick in movies featuring silent protagonists though?

Anyways, this is a thread for talking about the movie Mute, but also for talking about why the inability to verbally communicate is becoming a part of the Zeitgeist.

Vibrating meatflaps in your throat is not necessary for communicating meaning to other sentient meatsacks anymore.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Mooey Cow posted:

sweet I've been waiting for more vangelis

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
with horror games especially you have to strike a balance, like it sucks having a protagonist constantly going "oh gently caress!" "aaaah!" every time something scary happens. In horror games the protagonist should be a cypher for the player's own sense of dread. The old silent hill games were good for this, but the guy in the newest one verbally reacted too much and it kinda takes you out of it.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Hey, get this: silent films

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

osirisisdead posted:

Vibrating meatflaps in your throat is not necessary for communicating meaning to other sentient meatsacks anymore.

It never was. Verbal communication is the most information dense method of communication though.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Split Pea Superman posted:

Has anyone done a video game movie with a silent protagonist? I hope the ready player one movie does that.

I suppose Hardcore Henry is pretty close to that.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
i just started Mute but im not paying close attention to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
i watched the movie Hush and it had a deaf/mute protagonist and they did a really good job of making me hate that stupid character

• Locked thread