Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I just want to let everybody know that I have zero plans to make SA like every other loving social media service out there. In fact, I'm pretty much content that it's relatively difficult and brutal to use. Now I'm not just saying this because I'm in debt up to my skull and couldn't afford a decent coder to save my life, but because I've been thinking about it and I loving hate all the data mining and feeling of false obligations that modern social media artificially creates in order to "trap" its users into spending more time there, worried they'll miss "important" status updates about their "friend's" dumb rear end kid's first time eating macaroni.

I have never, and will never, actively encourage a +1ing or friend counting or user popularity gauge besides that of thread ratings. There is a reason people are fleeing social media, and I believe it's due to the constant dopamine highs required to be administered with every goddamn menial completed task.

I don't care who your friends are. I don't want you to bring them here unless you feel they would enjoy being here. I don't keep or maintain a list of your interests. I don't data mine or keep records of ANY of your personal poo poo, and I plan on adhering to this principle until the day I die or I go bankrupt (both of which may be coming sooner than I expected).

But I just wanted to let you know the state of affairs here and what's going through my stupid rear end mind, so you don't have to worry that this forum will ever pursue or go through a fundamental change to "keep up" with modern social media, which I personally feel is going in the worst possible direction. And again, I'm not just saying that because I'm poor as gently caress, which I am, it's what I truly believe.

Thank you and have a happy internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Im more than fine with that. If I want social media experiences, theres a ton of other sites that can give that. But I prefer the old-school chaos of this battered worn-down forum any day, where you have to put some effort into what you post and not have to give a poo poo about popularity numbers.

Thanks as always for giving me a place where I can spend my free time making terrible posts on the internet instead of something terrible like socializing with real life people.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
Lowtax we talked about this, the tone of this message will not scan well with the under 20 and semi retarded demographic and we all know that to make it in this business you need them on board to make billion dollar losses for years while growing and growing to obtain venture capital investment and take all the money for yourselfddf gently caress

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
This is cool. I'm behind you.

Right behind you.

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

Can you further embrace going against the grain by putting spinning skull gifs on every page and embedding midis on the forums thanks :yeah:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

MIDI doesn't work on modern browsers it would have to be some html5 thing like http://sb.bitsnbites.eu I think

Or maybe just embed a hidden youtube player somewhere with autoplay enabled
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtoHxMWw354

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
But I'm not sure if your kids have had macaroni yet and I'm doing too find out!

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.
You used to be "up to your dick" in debt. Now it's "up to your skull". :ohdear:

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Keep this place as curmudgeonly as possible Tax Man!

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I come here for the ambiance that other sites lack

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
Do people really complain this place is hard to read? Compared to Reddit or 4chan?

Also good poo poo OP, I love the place.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Sounds good, OP

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

:patriot:

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
The main issue with readability I see with a traditional forum is that you've every post to wade through with maybe a chance the content is relevant and good for your particular interests within the discussion - it does take getting used to, and is why the quality of the community is such as important part of the culture here on SA. But having the best content or better grouped content easily read is a major benefit of other social networks to SA.

I agree with Lowtax's points though and the user hierarchy on the forums by and large is very flat. You live and die by your posts. I would keep looking for ways to improve the above, like when there's a drive to get people rating threads or improve the rating system. I've signed up to Patreon recently, and it's a very funny page. I would like to see more Lowtax embedded into the forums somehow, especially as you become more and more unhinged :downs:

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Papa Emeritus III posted:

You used to be "up to your dick" in debt. Now it's "up to your skull". :ohdear:

I AM A DICK... HEAD...

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

CareyB posted:

I would like to see more Lowtax embedded into the forums somehow, especially as you become more and more unhinged :downs:
how could I possibly ever top mangosteen gate

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
thanks for the fun website lowtax :)

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is XenForo 2.0 still happening or is that off the table now? (i don't mind either way)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
This is legitimately my favorite "destination" on the internet and has been for almost 20 years now. I think my continued interest in this site despite the many, many life changes I've gone through shows how drat good this place really is.

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

please don't die Mr Tax

Hungry Bit posted:

Can you further embrace going against the grain by putting spinning skull gifs on every page and embedding midis on the forums thanks :yeah:

but do this

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Captain Yossarian posted:

This is legitimately my favorite "destination" on the internet and has been for almost 20 years now. I think my continued interest in this site despite the many, many life changes I've gone through shows how drat good this place really is.
Same. Thank you mr. Lowtax for all that you do!

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
That's all good, but in case you were curious my interests are looking cute, feeling cute, and mountaineering

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Lowtax posted:

I just want to let everybody know that I have zero plans to make SA like every other loving social media service out there. In fact, I'm pretty much content that it's relatively difficult and brutal to use. Now I'm not just saying this because I'm in debt up to my skull and couldn't afford a decent coder to save my life, but because I've been thinking about it and I loving hate all the data mining and feeling of false obligations that modern social media artificially creates in order to "trap" its users into spending more time there, worried they'll miss "important" status updates about their "friend's" dumb rear end kid's first time eating macaroni.

I have never, and will never, actively encourage a +1ing or friend counting or user popularity gauge besides that of thread ratings. There is a reason people are fleeing social media, and I believe it's due to the constant dopamine highs required to be administered with every goddamn menial completed task.

I don't care who your friends are. I don't want you to bring them here unless you feel they would enjoy being here. I don't keep or maintain a list of your interests. I don't data mine or keep records of ANY of your personal poo poo, and I plan on adhering to this principle until the day I die or I go bankrupt (both of which may be coming sooner than I expected).

But I just wanted to let you know the state of affairs here and what's going through my stupid rear end mind, so you don't have to worry that this forum will ever pursue or go through a fundamental change to "keep up" with modern social media, which I personally feel is going in the worst possible direction. And again, I'm not just saying that because I'm poor as gently caress, which I am, it's what I truly believe.

+1

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

That was a Good Post, Taxman. :cheers:

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

there should be a forced duel every day and the last person standing wins SA like it was a poker game

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm completely on board Richard but I still need you insulting nazis on tweeter.
God's work is never uberover

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Thank gently caress

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Carrion Luggage posted:

there should be a forced duel every day and the last person standing wins SA like it was a poker game

imagine medieval times except every knight is white

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Lowtax posted:

Sid Vicious liked this post

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Captain Yossarian posted:

Then buy more poo poo you dickhole so I can keep running the place!!!

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
We're waiting for lootboxes to go on sale

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Anyway I just wanted to let everyone know that NONE of your personal poo poo or data is collected here and we don't and never will collect that crap from you or try to sell it unlike every loving social media service and site out there, so I might be an absolutely trash king garbage gently caress when it comes to running a business or attempting to accomplish even the most trivial of tasks, but I just want to assure you all that in this internet hellworld, I ain't going down like that, I ain't going down like that.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Lowtax posted:

Anyway I just wanted to let everyone know that NONE of your personal poo poo or data is collected here and we don't and never will collect that crap from you or try to sell it unlike every loving social media service and site out there, so I might be an absolutely trash king garbage gently caress when it comes to running a business or attempting to accomplish even the most trivial of tasks, but I just want to assure you all that in this internet hellworld, I ain't going down like that, I ain't going down like that.

Want my phone number

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I'll get plat and buy avs for 3 people that can give me legitimate suggestions on what local office to run for in Austin. Can't be something that's traditionally for a lawyer

I'll represent SA on the soap box

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Sid Vicious posted:

Want my phone number

Ok

I'm at the grocery store now

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Lowtax posted:

Ok

I'm at the grocery store now

theres your money sink

stop eating food

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I'm watching TVO Kids and I also have to go the grocery store today

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Whats with you people all having kids and responsibilities now?!

Im spending the weekend cabling another ten cat6 Ethernet outlets in my home

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Right on tax man keep up the good work. Buy yourself a Yoohoo at the grocery store as a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

r u ready to WALK posted:

What’s with you people all having kids and responsibilities now?!

I’m spending the weekend cabling another ten cat6 Ethernet outlets in my home

It's called being an adult my dude

• Locked thread