Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tallgeese posted:

I'd argue that what happened wasn't so much consensus, as it was the Republicans ramming the 22nd through as revenge against FDR.

some very, very blue states ratified the 22nd amendment early, including california at 10th

gently caress, new hampshire and delaware were 5 and 6, nowhere near republican strongholds of power here. there's been a dozen various initiatives to repeal it over the years (i think there's one rear end in a top hat who does it literally every time congress is formed) and they are all aborted in committee because there's zero support for it anywhere.

consensus both now and then is 'nah'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The lack of presidential term limits would have probably changed the overall electoral and political landscape enough that you literally can't speculate beyond "I guess people born before that would have still existed." Like sure, Barack Obama would have won a third term easily, most likely. I think Reagan probably also would have. W. probably not but that was due to emergent circumstances on his part, too.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Soon China and America and maybe Russia will destroy this gay earth once and for all and I for one, am glad of it

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Fartbox posted:

Soon China and America and maybe Russia will destroy this gay earth once and for all and I for one, am glad of it

:same:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Nessus posted:

The lack of presidential term limits would have probably changed the overall electoral and political landscape enough that you literally can't speculate beyond "I guess people born before that would have still existed." Like sure, Barack Obama would have won a third term easily, most likely. I think Reagan probably also would have. W. probably not but that was due to emergent circumstances on his part, too.

Seems a decent probability Nixon would've too but for the Watergate cover-up given how handily he carried the 72 election and also the depiction of this outcome in the picture book for children Watchmen

• Locked thread