Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Meinberg posted:

No one stops. It’s way too late to stop.

This cannot continue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Become as gods.

Become as gods.

Become as gods.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Everything that lives is designed to end.

"They" are perpetually trapped, in a never-ending spiral of life and death.

However, we cannot give in.

Even if this world is full of curses. Even if this world punishes us.

We continue to resist everything within that spiral.

While singing words of prayer.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Old Maid You Look
Jun 6, 2018

[Insert Bone Joke Here]

Caroline
Aug 29, 2018

I am forced to look for clams like a bird. However, did you know that I am very good at looking for clams like a bird? I am even better at eating them.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

:3:

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Caroline is very good

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Max posted:

I mean, I'm certain we all end up in Hell, and Satan just says "Welcome to Myst 4"

"The Aristocrats"

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
*The Mystocrats

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Oriistocrats

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
obviously the d'nistocrats

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

sniper4625 posted:

Bonus in your next paycheck.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

sniper4625 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVVJ31Ry8wo

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GeneX posted:

Oriistocrats

:emptyquote:

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
THIS is the first of several soft call-outs for people who are interested in helping to run Everdunes.

You are loving barred if you know drat well you're barred. looking at you bif

Please send me a message in private (even if I have been an rear end in a top hat to you about comodding in the past) if you are interested but please do not announce your interest in any way. Do feel free to spread the word to people you think would be stellar comods. I have a few spaces for applicants, I am expecting 2 and aiming for 3. This is (probably) not going to be the case, but please pretend for the moment that you intend to play, even if you are accepted as a comod. Podima helped quite a bit with Myst even as he played a nonstandard character. If desired, you will likely have the opportunity to play a non-player character (minimally) in addition to everything else.

Game days end on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday evening (approximately), and players will be anticipating updates in their dossiers Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. We'll divide updating responsibilities based on clusters of players - so you will best know players who are most interacting with one another - and there will be overlap for checking/balancing/quality control.

The majority of the work will involve a lot of copying and pasting and making minor edits to the same document over and over throughout the game. I insist on ultimate creative control, and the responsibilities don’t include any element of that. However, we'll discuss some creative elements together as needed and your input will be valued. I'm still a dictator, but I'll be taking my advisory counsel very seriously. In Riven, I hard-overruled Podima just once (in retrospect, he was right), and he certainly influenced the evolution of the game and story through his input.

If this sort of thing sounds like your jam, especially if you’d like to see what running an RRG looks like from the inside, message me - privately.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I don’t even rate a call out, wow rude

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hey it's me looking at the whole new world of things to experience

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
For those who aren't up on the greatest thread that's happening right now: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871251

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Indeed!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Asiina posted:

For those who aren't up on the greatest thread that's happening right now: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871251

I'll animate your face

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Bifauxnen posted:

I'll animate your face

Does a big smile

Aww, it worked! :love:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

:3:

Old Maid You Look
Jun 6, 2018

[Insert Bone Joke Here]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz0VvZ4PZYA

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
It's been awhile since I've done any posting at all, but I am ecstatic to announce that as of Nov 9, 2018, Kapro has indeed married Mrs. Kapro. The game discord was the first place I announced my engagement, so it seemed fitting to announce the wedding here as well. I am sure you have been on the edge of your seats this whole time.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mithross posted:

It's been awhile since I've done any posting at all, but I am ecstatic to announce that as of Nov 9, 2018, Kapro has indeed married Mrs. Kapro. The game discord was the first place I announced my engagement, so it seemed fitting to announce the wedding here as well. I am sure you have been on the edge of your seats this whole time.

Congratulations!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Congratulations!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Old Maid You Look
Jun 6, 2018

[Insert Bone Joke Here]
This thanksgiving, I am thankful for the fact that I am dead, and no longer have to listen to my awful son’s weird obsession with his fan fiction community.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Gehn had already learned patience. Adolescence was rife with barbs, jovial contests between his peers, but age had soured this. Imprisonment on his own world, by his own family even, had soured so many things. But this would mean freedom.

His mind wandered to Lea. He couldn’t afford that yet. He had to stay focused. Scaring her had seemed inevitable, but the fear she’d felt - watching him buckle under the weight of that gas cloud; the agony of recognition in her eyes, and her diminutive frame falling in a heap of cloth and choking sobs.

But beyond belief, they were alive - all of them - and these ‘Chochtic’ were going to great pains... to keep it that way.

He would wake a prisoner, but still he was free. Free of the jungle’s heat; free of the desert’s wind; free of Riven’s impending demise. He had already learned patience.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Artemis could’ve dealt with her own capture. After so long in the desert she could nearly taste the water in the air on this new Age. Daniels stared at her as Ammy fought against his captors. The tingling in her arm let her know she had the power for one good shot. She held Daniels’ gaze, hearing nothing but the echo of their last meeting.

But it wasn’t her eyes he was looking at. He was looking past her, where a sheet of transparent alloyed glass of some kind contained her. It looked very sturdy, very tough - but not impenetrable. Nothing was truly impenetrable. She could fire on the Ammy’s attacker atop their lizard mount, and the two of them could fight… and likely die together; or... she could take the charge to escape.

She pulled her arm up, readied her sights, and felt her voice leaving her throat in a scream of despair. The directed energy burst through the transparent material, allowing Artemis a few moments to dive out of the landing-cage and into the city streets far below. She ran until she stumbled and fell, rolling across an alleyway and slamming hard into a wall.

The amnesiac? Ammy? “Corn”? Daniels had ripped two decades for Zulea from the very grasp of the destroyer. She could only manage to power down by reminding herself that he was clearly still very much the same Kent Daniels. He’d recognized her, lied about her, and silently signaled her - all with a weapon at his spine. Surely, Kent would somehow find just a little more time for Ammy. For all of them.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Sands, you look miserable. What’s up with your patient?”
“I don’t know if I can do this. How does this even happen to someone? I… I just can’t help her. At this point, either she’ll recover naturally or… or not.”
“What about her arm?”
“Won’t ever be using it again.”
“Are you saying you’re going to have to amputate it?”
She’s in such bad shape that I can barely triage her. I don’t think she’d survive the procedure.”
“...this is the one you argued with her for?”
“Yeah. Nobody fights - fought - like she ...did.”
“It’s terminal? drat.”
“No, no. She’ll live. Death or daylight, she’ll live. She’ll just probably hate me for it.”

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
His captor was too cold, despise outward warmth and grace. She was clearly very skilled, but she was no manipulator. At least not like him. Over the last few days, she’d made her purpose clear: she was looking for someone. He was not this person.

A few hours from freedom. No one had been killed. The injured were receiving care.

“You look like a thinker,” his captor broke their silence. “And someone who plays games. I’d like to skip that.”

I suppose that’ll be acceptable.” It’d been a long time, since he’d convinced anyone new.

“Do you know this place?”

This facility not at all, this Age is my son’s.

He remembered being proud. But pride was for fathers. This Age was called 5a; “Sa” after however long later. Their society seemed surprisingly civilized - dividing into guilds and families, just as the D’ni had.

“Do you have a name?”

Of course - I am Gehn. The last of the D’ni.

“I have a feeling you would know if I tried to lie to you like the others.”

And I would know what?

“My name. I won’t say. But for the time being, I’d like it if you could just call me Charlie.”

He didn’t need to consent, so he let himself smirk.

“I’m just going to ask you plainly - we’ve captured a great many people in the last month, many fleeing from the age of Riven. How many would you be willing to name?”

He gave it some thought.

Politely decline to name anyone… give her all of them… name a few for now… or…

I offer a counter proposal. Names hold importance for you, as does freedom for me. ...Shall we conduct a trade?

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

I did not become a D'ni loyalist to make friends, and by the way? I haven't
The following is a dream

Written testimony of Andra, Continuing apprentice to the late Sabo, and Senior Apprentice in the Guild of Maintainers. Presented to the Guild of Maintainers and the Council of Riven on 9462.5.23

----

After some reconsideration, and at the urging of the council, I have decided to re-document what I witnessed on the island of Allapon three nights hence.

It is well known among guild members that vandalism on Allapon is no rare thing. It's true! Our maintenance crews keep the island so clean you might never have noticed, but even before the war turned violent, the D'ni temple was a prime target for malcontent graffiti, and any apprenticeship such as mine included a lot of experience in scrubbing expletives from the walls. More recently, there has been a problem with broken lamps. The cliffs on Allapon are treacherous, so when the torches and bio-lamps along the footpaths become broken, it's important to replace them ASAP. (A guild term; "As Soon As Possible.") Lately, though, this has been happening every few nights, to our consternation.

It was dark and overcast on Rivenin three nights ago when A.S.A. Ripple (Apprentice to the Senior Apprentice) called to me and pointed out that the lights on Allapon were being snuffed out, one by one, as we watched. Under maintainer S.O.P--Standard Operating Procedure--we should report a situation such as this to our immediate superiors or to a member of the guard, but it is well known that the guard has been understaffed of late, and it is also well known (for I have written many times) that I have still not been reassigned to a new teacher since the heroic sacrifice on Kiston of my master Sabo--may his soul find rest. So the actual chain of command is, some would say, currently unclear. So as the Senior Apprentice and the Apprentice to the Senior Apprentice we made the decision to investigate.

When we arrived on Allapon we found the lights on the temple side still functioning, but the perch side of the island was in near perfect darkness. Keeping to the inner paths, we felt our way across the bridges above the perch. When we heard voices from below, we went still.

If not for our vantage point on the swaying bridge we may have missed them. Gathered at the edge of the fissure, perhaps twenty dark figures, illuminated only by the light of the stars below, an icy cold blue that grew brighter as our eyes adjusted to the gloom. A cacaphony of overlapping whispers, carried to us in fragments by the salt breeze, underlaid a clear, high voice. I could not tell if it belonged to a man or a woman, but at the head of the procession, this person recited words which were not all proper Rivenese, and the others, sometimes in turn and sometimes in unison, responded. I heard the name of Gehn, and a story about a hawk, but I did not understand most of it. From time to time I caught the scent of some sweet noxious smoke. I think they were passing a pipe among them, and although I could not identify an illicit drug--for I have never used one, and would not know what that smells like--I took note of this to report later.

I had just resolved to return with my findings when a horrendous noise rose up from the crowd, like dozens of flutes all playing different songs, and all at once I was terrified. Something about that music pierced straight through my ears into my brain, and I felt like I would fall, or maybe my legs would betray me and I would jump. It felt--and I must be clear that I did not SEE this, I only agree that it FELT as though something was reaching out from that widening pit and beckoning me forward. Then ripple screamed, and before either of us gave the order, we were running back across the bridge, back towards more familiar darkness and, we believed, relative safety.

I did not see what ASA ripple imagined he saw that night, and I agree that what he claimed to witness is troubling in its eccentricity. But it is my hope that this testimony will lend some context to Ripple's recent erratic behavior, and the council will be understanding with him. I have never known Ripple to use forbidden substances, and I do not know of any stress in his personal life which explains his new paranoia, but it has, of course, been a stressful few months for us all. Whatever the cause, his reality is strictly his own. I remain mentally sound and uncompromised, and I am ready to return to work ASAP. Also, I hope that the guild will comment on the status of my promotion, which has been pending since the selfless passing of Sabo, who was going to recommend me for advancement. I have attached another copy of my application, for consideration at your convenience.

Your Faithful Servant,
S. A. Andra

bagshotrow fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 2, 2019

Old Maid You Look
Jun 6, 2018

[Insert Bone Joke Here]
Gehn.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Is bad.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Let's not be too hasty!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I agree I really think you guys should give him a chance he's got a lovely singing voice.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
gehn is sooooo 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

peramene posted:

gehn is sooooo 2017

Everyone’s into the new hotness, Guildmaster Kadish, in tyool 2019.