Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
when broly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Confirming that I'm Ginyu

yeah but you stole birb's body

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Natural 20 posted:

Always broly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9Keyy3X5tY

WHEN

BROLY

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice
but yeah put me in

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

Also, listen to the "All Systems Goku" companion podcast that Jeff Gerstmann and Dan Ryckert of Giant Bomb are doing. They just got to the point where they met the Ginyu Force.

Just started listening to this today and it's fantastic :allears:

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice
Hi everyone I'll be really busy until Monday unfortunately but I love dragons and balls so this seems like it will all work out

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice
Yeah but what if...

I'm scum???

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

##vote mord

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice
Gonna ##unvote cause shitposting has ended, also I hope that if someone is Android 13 that their wincon is to punch goku in the dick

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

grand theft grotto posted:

Judging from the context of what's been posted so far I just wanted to confirm: We're more or less supposed to keep our characters a secret as well as our roles, right? I mentioned it in my signup post but I haven't played a mafia game before, so I don't want to mess up and blow it right from the start.

Unless you have a specific reason for wanting to claim, keeping it secret is usually safer yeah. Especially early in the game

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

Not necessarily. If a lynch happens and it is Yamcha, Town Vanilla, that will tell us very little about flavor.

I disagree, that would tell us that Androids are not town, most likely.

Right now we're assuming either Androids are town and scum team is Goku and friends, or that good guys are good guys and scum is some Androids or something.

If everyone who's claimed is telling the truth, I'm leaning towards the former, but pretty much any flip would tell us something unless it's 3p. Someone flipping Yamaha would tell us that the scum team is NOT Goku, Vegeta, etc

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

flerp posted:

holy poo poo you morons flavor doesnt loving matter in dbz 1 there was characters that werent even present in the frieza saga that people had as characters god drat shut up about flavor

Who? I claimed King Cold but that was a scum fakeclaim, I think we also had Cooler fakeclaim

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice
Yeah I'm still phoneposting but I think I wanna ##unvote for now, Mord sounds like me when I argue about flavor, which makes me think he's town.

Don't feel good about lumpen, but I need to figure out if that's just how he posts or if there's actually something there

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice
Okay just got back so I can actually play mafia and if it helps everyone shut up about flavor until we have any flips, I'm Android 14, and town. I think it'd be really easy to setup a game with the "label 2 pigs 1 and 3, everyone starts searching for pig 2" thing, especially since the androids are numbered. I'd encourage everyone to completely disregard Lumpen's claim, because it could just as easily be a fakeclaim for scum. It's white noise.

And the last mafia game I was in with specific flavor literally had the main character as a fakeclaim for scum, so don't think it's impossible that "character x" isn't here.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Lumpen posted:

This is a pretty weird post to make...

If this is true:

Hm, really? Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you trying to say that I should believe your town claim because I have similar flavor?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

grand theft grotto posted:

The idea has been floated here and there that there could be a character (some have mentioned Cell) that could be out there with the goal to hunt Androids. Saying "I'm an Android" truthfully is potentially equivalent to painting a target sign on your back at this point. Lumpen already did this, of course, and now Xad has also made this claim that could be strongly disadvantageous, and I don't see what the actual advantage here is if Xad is telling the truth.

The advantage imo is that everyone stops talking about flavor and we can move on to more effective scumhunting, I feel like I said that pretty clearly in the post. We can revisit flavor-based stuff if we need to once we have some flips.

Monathin posted:

Can you make a case on this cause Asiina's play seems fine to me right now and I'm not seeing what you're seeing, Fiddy.

was just about to post something similar. Wouldn't mind hearing 50's case on asiina. Or B-'s reasoning for declaring 50 to be town, for that matter.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

willie_dee posted:

That's interesting. Do peoples posting style normally change depending on role and if so doesn't that make the game a lot easier for experienced players who have played together before?

Well, typically yeah if you already know who the scum is, you're going to, consciously or not, probably sound different when you talk about who might be scum (because you'll be lying, obv). It CAN give players an advantage if they're familiar with each other, but people are people, sometimes

Rhjamiz posted:

I'm going to try to get my thoughts down here before the thread gets away from me;

I still believe Mord to be the best scum candidate at present and will not change my vote unless a better candidate appears. Mord's initial double-down on the weakest part of his reasoning when things were uncertain, only to quickly abandon it when the heat turned up on him comes across as scum behavior and further confirms my feelings on the matter. I can elaborate further if needed, but I'm phone posting so apologies if I'm generalizing.

I'm almost certain Lumpen is town right now; his actions post-claim make sense from a Town perspective, and I don't see how a Scum Gambit would be worth the risk.

I have a much weaker Town read on 50. I agree with him that there is no false choice between Mord and Lumpen. I disagree that Mord is just being dumb Town. What I don't understand was going hard on defense for Mord and pointing at Lumpen, and it feels like he set up the idea of that false choice himself. However, 50's playstyle is one I am strongly biased against; playing flippant and disruptive Town only helps Scum in my experience, either as cover for your own future Scum play, distracting less experienced Town players into false cases against you, or allowing the actual scum to build an weak but emotionally persuasive case against you.

That said, I feel people who play this way tend to have weaker scum games and while I disagree with 50, I can sorta understand his angle, which feels Towny.

I don't think Mord is scum, I think he's frustrated town who is trying to argue about the importance of flavor a little too hard, AND trying very hard not to die to the first lunch, hence why he seemed to drop it suddenly

I agree with your thoughts re: 50 though, I'm not sure what to think of him atm, I definitely agree that the vote today shouldn't be just between mord or lumpen, but I don't like his narrator-y tone

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I get that frustration but let’s be honest past game performance has nothing to do with this game. You have to remember us newbies do not have any historical context from previous games

Really though it seem like you’re going to need to claim to get out of this one or explain why flavor does in fact matter but then again that’ll likely require a claim to do so

Was rereading some posts and this one stuck out to me a bit, really don't like the "hm welp guess you have to claim or get executed :shrug:" line there

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Atomic Soda posted:

what are you trying to say here? that we should lunch lumpen even though they prolly town? please correct me if i've misread you.

Yeah, I don't see another way to read that

quote:

If that's the case, the idea of lynching someone who has made a bold claim as to their exact character identity purely for information seems reasonable in that it could tell us something about the game,
Okay so obviously voting for someone based on NOTHING is bad, so voting for someone because they claimed something substantial is better because we get more info out of it. I...yes, it is better, but still very bad and definitely not the only option we have.

quote:

and if we catch a scum player in the process, then it's a bonus.
Yeah okay no, catching scum should not be a "bonus," it's the entire objective of the game. If you want to know if someone is telling the truth about their role, sure we all do, but don't try to execute someone who you don't think is scum, jfc

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Atomic Soda posted:

(also i thought a yamaha was a bike i know v little about flavour)

lmao I phoneposted and it autocorrected from "Yamcha" (an actual dbz character, and a human) didn't even notice that until now

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Asiina posted:

You still have not explained at all why me saying I find something scummy is WIFOM, other than just saying that it is. Unless you really think that anyone saying any thread content are scummy or townie are WIFOM in which case, do you think we should just all be playing night action mafia and the things people post doesn't matter? The entire point of the game is to look at posting and go "is this something a town person or a scum person would say?"
Mord posted some things I found scummy, and so I think he's scum. I don't know how this somehow is some grand longterm scheme of mine and not, y'know, casing? My posting has a purpose? Yeah, it's to find scum and then convince other people that I've found scum and they should vote for them.

Honestly these last two posts barely make any sense to me because it's like a markov bot of mafia buzzwords with no meaning behind them.

What the gently caress does this even mean?

Find myself agreeing with asiina, at least re: what the heck is 50 talking about in those two posts. I also agree that "I found this poster to be doing things to be scummy" is not an insane reason to vote for someone, but the reasons you've stated before that you think Mord are scummy (flavorposting, backing off from flavorposting, etc.) don't seem scummy to me and are more "confused/frustrated town" imo. I don't think scum would make a big flavor argument this early in the game, so it seems a bit scummy to me that you're insisting that Mord's scum for doing it.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Doesn't vote anyone else...

So made a joke vote on mord, cancels joke vote because of joke phase, talks about unvoting Mord because they think their flavor case is genuine.

Well, you weren't voting mord for their flavor case, and you had already unvoted.

Your 2nd unvote looks fake as hell.

##vote Xad

lol I forgot that first unvote existed, anyways here's my thought process:

joke votes on mord->forgets that I already unvoted->sees mord doing weird poo poo->dang maybe I should keep my vote on mord->mord starts arguing about how important flavor is->now I think he's almost definitely frustrated town->I unvote because I forgot I already did that

Crazyeyes posted:

I can confirm Yamcha is town. So by Xad's logic, androids are scum, which I currently don't agree outright with. As i said before, need more proof before making the flavor case.

IIRC I made that post before anyone had claimed anything, and since we now have multiple people claiming town android (at least movie ones) and Korin/Yamcha/etc. town non-androids, that post I made is entirely wrong, unless someone is lying to trick me

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Whoa whoa whoa let's back up here for a sec. You, at first, suggest that you wholly agree with Asiina but then by the end of it make a case that they are scummy because they think Mord's case is scummy? What's your actual position here because I'm confused

Uh, no? I didn't say I wholly agreed with asiina. I agreed that I didn't know what 50s posts were about. I also disagree with asiina that mord's actions are scummy, and that makes me a bit suspicious of her.

quote:

I'm also still waiting for you to elaborate on your earlier point:

quote:

I feel like this is reaching, and is trying to set a false narrative

Mord later claims, on his own and states his reasoning for doing so. So what exactly are you accusing me of?

Are you saying I'm scum or are you throwing out accusations; in an attempt to muddy the waters? This also goes for the Asiina with regards to muddying the conversation

I didn't like how you basically goaded Mord into claiming, which he did not have to do, especially this early in the game. That seemed scummy to me. It doesn't matter if he made the decision later himself, you still suggested that he should do it first.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

You know what stood out to me?

This post.

What

the

gently caress

is this post

This is a scum post. Don't waste a town vote on a mercy kill, there are ways for me to step out if I wish. That second part screams a weak justification for scum to jump on an easy target.

I deffo understand the frustration, but knowing that they're new I think it's just someone not knowing that you can replace out of a game, and going along with what a few other posters have said about "meltdowns = scum" (which isn't true, KB and I are proof of that) it's definitely easy to get really frustrated at mafia, but it doesn't say anything about the player's alignment. I don't think it's scummy, just new-y.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

I feel like I addressed that point later, which was made before Mord's claim:

Anyway, I feel like we're splitting hairs at this juncture. You are more than free to put me on the suspicion list but if that's the most you've got on me; then that's a fairly flimsy case

Yeah fair enough, I think it's the only scummy thing you've really done so far, not really worth a vote today or anything, you've been explaining yourself and such

I think I know what Jeabus' "flavor theory" is re: me and Lumpen being 14/15, thought of something last night that vaguely worried me about claiming since we haven't seen 13, and like Cell (who absorbs 17 and 18 to get stronger), 13 absorbs the two androids he appears with (14 and 15) :ohdear:

At this point, I feel pretty good about GeneX, Mona and Lumpen being town, and I reaaally don't like bee movie's responses to being prodded throughout basically the entire day. He's being weirdly flippant and not helpful to town

##vote bee movie

Other thing I have noticed: flerp might be scum with tobbs because he isn't trying to get tobbs murdered.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Crazyeyes posted:

Don't say you're bad, just revel in your badness until you get good or have a stroke from rage.

After spectating a game or two I have achieved zen and realized that Actually, Everyone Is Bad at Mafia. Namaste

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Dancer should post more

And where the gently caress is Quid?

Behold

Quid's only two posts

That's not normal

While I have also noticed that Tobbs and Quid are oddly absent, it's still only day 1 and there are pretty strict lurking rules in place, so we might not have to worry about it anyways

Lurker votes are better suited to day 3 or so imo

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice
Yeah I thought I was pretty clearly saying "Hi I'm also a town android, please stop arguing about flavor. Lumpen's could be a fakeclaim or we could just both be town, but either way the fact that we're androids is meaningless at this point"

I'd vote for b-, and maybe flerp or 50 shades of bread. Could be convinced on willie but their posts remind me a lot of when I started playing SA Mafia, so I'm willing to be more lenient there.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice
As someone currently voting for b-, I'm liking his recent content. Bussing or not, his points on Sal feeling out of character and CL only "appearing to participate" don't seem fake at all to me

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

b-minus1 posted:

is it just me, or are over half of the players in this game mia? i know we still have a lot of time left, but something feels off. this is a 27 player game, and i dont think a vote leader has received more than 7 votes. and it's 14 to lynch. what is everyone waiting for?

Yeah, this does not feel like it's a 27 player game, I legit keep forgetting that KB and Quid are even in this game lol

Dancer's posts mostly just confuse me. I'm pretty sure I claimed AFTER saying "if non-androids are town, then it's more likely that androids are scum" and obviously revealing my flavor earlier would've felt unnecessary. I mostly just did it to redirect the thread away from flavor arguments, since they weren't really getting anywhere. Getting a little :tinfoil:-y but I could see an android killer trying to start flavor chat in thread to get people to claim android flavor.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

King Burgundy posted:

Interesting choice of call outs.

Really? I've played lots of games with you guys and you usually post a lot, that's why I mentioned you two specifically. Everyone in that list aside from the two of you I'm either not super familiar with, or a lack of lots of posts isn't surprising to me.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

SalTheBard posted:

Like I don't think people realize how much FSN mafia changed me. I'm not the same person I was the last time I was town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CSFfMCFNAA&t=19s

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

willie_dee posted:

These are unsettling.

I'm going to sleep soon and should probably vote for someone based on a good theory I can even slightly get behind, just thinking out loud here. If I don't vote will that be a problem?

It's not a problem because it's a huge game and hopefully it won't come down to one vote, buuuut

you may as well vote for someone unless atm you strongly think we should no-lynch

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

GeneX posted:

Lightning round: there are 8 people with votes on them.

List them in order of who you want lynched most to least.

1) AA
2) Jeabus
3) Fitty
4) Dancer
5) Sal
6) B-
7) Asiina
8) Lumpen

Extra credit: why is #1 #1? Why is #8 #8?

1) I think AA's vote on Mord is extremely bad, combining a lack of specificity, a surface level read, a bunch of vagueness, and a lack of coherence with his other expressed read on Lumpen. It smacks of artificiality.

8) My initial impression of Lumpen's claim has combined with his general play thus far to make me think he's genuinely trying to root out scum; specifically, the way he hounded B- and wouldn't lay off reads extremely genuine, especially the doubling of focus after pushback from B- (as opposed to laying off when faced with opposition).

Yeah ok I'll play along

Dancer
AA
B-
Sal
Asiina
Lumpen
Jeabus

Jeabus and Lumpen are definitely not people I want to vote for today. I believe Lumpen's claim, but even without that he's been rather productive and seems honest in his scumhunting. Jeabus got really frustrated and I wasn't really suspicious of him before that. I think some of the Jeabus votes are suspicious, tbh.

I have been accused of making these posts out of order:

Xad posted:

I disagree, that would tell us that Androids are not town, most likely.

Right now we're assuming either Androids are town and scum team is Goku and friends, or that good guys are good guys and scum is some Androids or something.

If everyone who's claimed is telling the truth, I'm leaning towards the former, but pretty much any flip would tell us something unless it's 3p. Someone flipping Yamaha would tell us that the scum team is NOT Goku, Vegeta, etc

Bolded the important bit. I never said ALL androids would be scum in either scenario, but at least two different people have looked at the first line of this post as well as the next post I've quoted here and called it a huge inconsistency

Xad posted:

Okay just got back so I can actually play mafia and if it helps everyone shut up about flavor until we have any flips, I'm Android 14, and town. I think it'd be really easy to setup a game with the "label 2 pigs 1 and 3, everyone starts searching for pig 2" thing, especially since the androids are numbered. I'd encourage everyone to completely disregard Lumpen's claim, because it could just as easily be a fakeclaim for scum. It's white noise.

And the last mafia game I was in with specific flavor literally had the main character as a fakeclaim for scum, so don't think it's impossible that "character x" isn't here.

I even went back to check to make sure I made these posts in this order and yep I did. AA and Dancer have focused on them a bit, and it feels like they're reaching pretty hard. Dancer in particular suddenly was very suspicious of both me and Jeabus with very little explanation as to why. AA also tried to push a vote on me, and then switched to 50 because...??? because 50 had votes? AA never explains what about 50 they find scummy, just that a vote on me doesn't seem like something that they want to do today after asiina confronted them about it.

##vote Dancer

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

b-minus1 posted:

honestly, i was looking at the list of players browsing the forum, and saw fiddy and flerp lurking for a while. i know this isn't the best way to scumhunt, but i figure if fiddy is town it would encourage him to post. the lurkers are driving me insane haha.

I agree that lurkers should die, I lost a game due to a lurky scumteam once, but this game has pretty good lurker rules, so I think we're good for now. Also, someone having a tab open to the forums doesn't mean they're looking at it or even at their computer, don't use it to scumhunt.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Atomic Soda posted:

seven more pages to catch up on but i hope tobbs comes back!

I have bad news

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

chaoslord posted:

You can't just say this, come on! Which? Name names!

Oh, I thought I said it outright: AA and Dancer's votes in particular

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Xad posted:

Oh, I thought I said it outright: AA and Dancer's votes in particular

Maf edit: At the time at least. AA is now voting for bread

Dancer posted:

I'm taking a break. I promised I wouldn't stand up without a serious vote so ##vote Jeabus. As per almost always when we're close to deadline, I will make sure to be around for potentially needing to change my vote.

I already said I'd rather not vote 50.

The two other top 5 candidates right now are Sal and B- (and me). Between them I'd rather lynch Sal.

Neither of these really have any explanation and kinda come out of nowhere

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice
Wait what the gently caress, AA never voted for Jeabus, how did I gently caress that up that hard :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

chaoslord posted:

It can be a useful tool and has caught out scum in the past. It's not a 100% thing but you can see when people pop on or off (iirc if you don't click anything for 15 minutes you fall off it). It can be good to watch leading up to deadlines imo. You shouldn't use it to scumhunt in and of itself but it can be a tool to help confirm suspicions about someone if they show up near deadline and then leave without posting.

Sure, but it still feels lovely to me, dunno how accurate the 15 minute thing is. I got hammered before deadline in two mafia games at once because I was playing a game online with some friends and in both threads everybody went "oh I see he's not posting but online, welp better vote for him"

• Locked thread