Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

:stoat:WELCOME TO MUSTELIDAE MANOR!:stoat:

This is the thread to talk about the best/coolest/lithest family of carnivores on the planet. long of body and short of limb, weasels and their pals are pretty great!

there are lots of cool and cute subfamilies within mustelidae and they are all awesome in their own ways. they have been much maligned in fiction over the years so lets post good things about these neat wild friends!

WEASELS & PALS
there are lots of different species of weasels and ferrets in the world, and they are among the most effective predators of small mammals out there. They will somewhat regularly hunt prey significantly larger than themselves, and their high metabolisms mean they need to eat a lot. they are mostly terrestrial but capable swimmers and climbers when the need presents itself. brian jacques hated these guys but they are cool, i swear! dont believe his lies!

OTTERS

otters are basically large "swim-weasels" that swim around and eat fish, like lots of fish seriously these guys hunt fish like nobodies business. the sea otter is probably the most charismatic and largest (by weight) but the giant river otter in the amazon is the biggest and most :black101: . they are also famously playful and intelligent, even among the rest of the mustelids

MARTENS
i call these guys 'tree weasels' since some of them are very arboreal. if you see what looks like a tiny, long fox running through the trees it is probably a pine marten! If you are a squirrel, these guys are bad news. fishers are also basically big fat martens. are martens cute? pfffffffttt

BADGERS
badgers are stripey and tough and come in several varieties, what more can i say about the noble badger. saved mr. mole AND mr. rat from freezing to death in the wild wood after mole went looking for him in the vague hopes that he would be able to help their dear friend mr toad cure his nascent addiction to motorcars.

SKUNKS*
most mustelids have musk glands they use to mark their territory, but skunks take this to an extreme and can spray their funk on things. nothing really fucks with skunks besides reckless predator like dogs, they are truly fearless stinklords

SLIME WEASELS
i really dont know a lot about these guys sorry

there are many awesome mustelids i havnt even touched on yet like minks, wolverines (formerly of the x mans) or the tayra. if you want to post about weasel like animals like mongeese or something that is also ACCEPTABLE even though they may not be mustelids

pictured: an unweasel black mongoose convergent evolution!

:fuzzknot:

*not actually a mustelid but gently caress it, skunks are cool and closely related

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Mar 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

a weasel is easily pleased, op

just give him crackers and crumbly cheese

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I love them and think they are adorable, but you forgot the most cutest mustela of them all: Ferrets!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I love minks, stoats, weasels, ferrets, and their ilk. Good thread. Voted 5.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

How about the garden weasel?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I've always kinda wanted a ferret. Did the dog thing my whole childhood and that waas cool, but I've met some unholy charismatic ferrets and it seems like they'd be a blast to have around.

Too bad cuz there's no way in hell I'm gonna turn into a Ferret Person.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

ferrets are really great pets with tons of personality but there is a definite stigma surrounding them (as there is with all mustelids imo except maybe otters). they also don’t live near long enough for how intelligent they are, lil bastards will break your heart

also have a video of a mink swimming in salt water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awQo-bicPog

in pre colonial times there was a large species of mink with reddish fur that lived along the sea coasts (appropriately called the sea mink) but they were wiped out by the 1800s :(
http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/40784/0

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 18, 2018

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
https://youtu.be/d2CTVqt2wxU

https://youtu.be/VdRXuyBOyow

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

having a ferret has been the best thing

weasels and the like are rad
i do like otters but don't really champion them though, since they're the odd one out of the family that people pretty much like and find cute, while then looking at a weasel and going 'urgh'.

naem
May 29, 2011

I drew a weasel

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

What’s with the smell, and why are they illegal to keep as pets in lots of states? Is it because of the smell?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I love weasels

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNbqvqf3-14

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
We had three ferrets. Lost them all to some form of cancer or another. The last one passed last August at 8 1/2 years old. We miss the hell out of them and their antics and personalities. I loved them but don't think I could put myself through owning another anytime soon with their health issues.

Dogmeat posted:

What’s with the smell, and why are they illegal to keep as pets in lots of states? Is it because of the smell?

The smell is if you're lazy and don't wash their bedding every couple of weeks, or clean their waste daily or twice daily. We had our moments where we had let the ferret bedding go for a month or so but otherwise nobody ever complained or even seemed to notice. They were all litter trained, more or less.

Pet store ferrets are horrible funk-smelling because their enclosures are usually poo poo and the employees let poo poo just pile up.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Dogmeat posted:

the smell is from their anal scent glands which they use to mark territory, pretty much all carnivores have them (you’ve probably seen your dog use his) but weasels & co have particularly powerful ones. I think the Latin name has to do with their powerful musk

I’ve heard mink musk is as bad as skunk spray but thankfully never experienced that first hand

not entirely sure about the legality issues but I think it relates back to the general distrust/stigma and a mostly undeserved fear of them as disease vectors

also drat that stoat hunting video is amazing, they really do hunt well above their weight

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 19, 2018

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
:ck5:

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

:vince:

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
A+ weasel crankin

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

nice marmot

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
i want a pet skunk so bad. i got to pet one in a haunted house last year, and it really changed things

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I had a baby skunk crawl on my head and curl up in my hair when I worked at Petsmart. Would definitely own one, but Texas isn't really issuing permits.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The white ones slay me.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i fucken hate weasels, the smelly bastards

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

china bot posted:

i want a pet skunk so bad. i got to pet one in a haunted house last year, and it really changed things

Flaccid Trip posted:

I had a baby skunk crawl on my head and curl up in my hair when I worked at Petsmart. Would definitely own one, but Texas isn't really issuing permits.

My dad once told me skunks make really great pets. Apparently he kept one as a kid. You have to remove their stink glands, but after that they’re awesome.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Hell Yeah posted:

i fucken love weasels, the smelly bastards

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

get a load of this guy!

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

My dad once told me skunks make really great pets. Apparently he kept one as a kid. You have to remove their stink glands, but after that they’re awesome.

this is excellent news
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr5nM9Oi14A

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Feliforms go home this is not the thread for you

im on team otter btw

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Thank you for the op I enjoyed it and learned a bit

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Parsley posted:

having a ferret has been the best thing

weasels and the like are rad
i do like otters but don't really champion them though, since they're the odd one out of the family that people pretty much like and find cute, while then looking at a weasel and going 'urgh'.

Also male sea otters rape female sea otters to death. And they will rape other species to death, then keep their dead girlfriends with them for weeks.

I was so sad when I read that report. They are as awful as ducks.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Just another example of how alike we are to our animal brethren! Really makes you think

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Bored posted:

Also male sea otters rape female sea otters to death. And they will rape other species to death, then keep their dead girlfriends with them for weeks.

We can only pray they never learn to work together.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Bored posted:

a river otter would never do such a thing

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I had heard they’re like raccoons, where they’re great when young but will then literally destroy your home in front of you once they hit maturity because it’s only a matter of time till they realize drywall is not very strong and then whoa where did all these holes in the wall that lead directly into the kitchen cabinet come from were they always there?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
slime weasels are also known as hellbenders and they have the power to send you to hell if you look in their eye

but check out this bad boy:

Megalictis ferox the largest weasel wich grew to 500 tons. The bar in the picture represents one meter in length

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

SniperWoreConverse posted:

slime weasels are also known as hellbenders and they have the power to send you to hell if you look in their eye

but check out this bad boy:

Megalictis ferox the largest weasel wich grew to 500 tons. The bar in the picture represents one meter in length

Lol weasels are badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

a river otter would never do such a thing

According to the article, this is true.

• Locked thread