Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It’s all dropshipped Chinese garbage and the prices are barely better than the stores

Also the secondhand books aren’t cheap any more. What happened to that?

It super sucks dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
They charge literally twice as much for cat food as Costco does for the exact same food at the exact same size

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
2 day prime shipping rules and I get 20% off game preorders so, as usual, Pick is loving wrong about everything.

Edit; Also I get a 50 goddamn pound bag of premium dog food shipped to my door for less than a buck a pound. They also gave me a free copy of Devil May Cry for the PC last week. Amazon rules.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
:capitalism:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bloodysabbath posted:

2 day prime shipping rules and I get 20% off game preorders so, as usual, Pick is loving wrong about everything.

Prime shipping definitely isn’t as good as it used to be.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
It's okay but the third party stuff kills the confidence I have in the products being legitimate. I ordered a backpack straight from the manufacturer because all the Amazon reviews were calling out counterfeits.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Pick posted:

What happened to that?

Profit margins. Probably.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think it’s easier to go the fuckin store. It’s like you buy the thing and you got it then.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Who would have thought that Amazon would undercut brick and mortar businesses until they were all but dead and then raise their rates and slash consumer benefits once the people started using their services as a matter of course?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Pick posted:

Also the secondhand books aren’t cheap any more. What happened to that?

They operated at a loss until they could establish market dominance, then turned the screws.

This is why the threshold for free saver shipping rose, until Walmart undercut them.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

wait you mean the website run by the guy who literally thinks he's john galt and has been making moves for years to muscle out physical store-fronts is beginning to pull the rug out from under the party now that he's more or less destroyed all competition not named wal-mart?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yea it's p poo poo and their value add poo poo like streaming music and video are garbage as well. Their little spy gadget alexa poo poo is nonsense

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Bezos looks like Lex Luthor, it's not like there weren't warning signs.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Also gently caress them making so much poo poo add-on items

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
its not great for browsing. it is great if you go in already knowing what you want

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just got a used book on amazon and they said the condition was 'good'

It's 'good' enough for homeless person toilet paper maybe!!! Bezos will pay for his fraudulence

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

EL BROMANCE posted:

Prime shipping definitely isn’t as good as it used to be.

Now they count as two days from getting their poo poo together from warehouse shaves

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I too hate not being forced in anyway whatsoever to use a service at my own convenience.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
it was all over as soon as they started charging sales tax

rip

But yeah prime shipping isn't quite as good but sometimes nice. the "amazon delivery" always loving sucks rear end and gets sent to the wrong apartment and they arrive at like 10pm at night, Id rather they just use USPS and get it a day later. amazon is still p good in general but Costco is cheaper for lots of things

I remember getting like a giant fuckoff 50lb bag of ON Protein powder for like $20 in 2007, now poo poo is like $80.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
It's actually good

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My wife read a book about the people who do the seasonal work in amazon warehouses and you know what? Didn't sound that bad

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

It always sucked, OP.

3hands
Feb 23, 2018

Well you can buy direct from China and get free heavy metal poisoning included at random instead of prime shipping.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Nerses IV posted:

My wife read a book about the people who do the seasonal work in amazon warehouses and you know what? Didn't sound that bad

I like how they get to stand in line for two hours without getting paid while they wait to be searched to ensure they aren't stealing

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
Amazon prices have never really blown me away. It's more about convenience and being a shut-in nerd that doesn't want to go out than anything else.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

3hands posted:

Well you can buy direct from China and get free heavy metal poisoning included at random instead of prime shipping.

Oh I do

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Captain Yossarian posted:

It's actually good

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Amazon shipping rules for me I don't know what to tell you guys. Sometimes poo poo even arrives in one day for no reason after I select 2 days.

As for addon items, just buy a preorder blu ray, let the addon item ship, then cancel the blu ray, gently caress this isn't rocket science. Add on items are the poo poo.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

3hands posted:

Amazon sells this same poo poo at a markup without prime shipping tho so yes you are inadvertently correct

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
Sup with the prime 2day shipping now. Only works like half the time now!!!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

:sweatdrop:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I only really liked amazon for used books ffs I can get cat fud at Safeway and it won’t be touched by food stampers

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Duck deude

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
the chinese have totally colonized clothes on amazon. i was trying to buy a belt the other day and couldn't find anything that wasn't from a brand named something like "Tonly Monders" (they have a site and they left the lorem ipsum text on it: http://www.tonlymonders.com/)

also they miss the 2-day shipping deadline semi-often now, they include stuff that won't get to you in 2 days in the results when you filter for only amazon prime products, and they made it so with some stuff you have to add it to your cart and try to check out before they show you how long it will actually take to arrive. amazon prime is still mostly worth it but it's definitely getting shittier

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

:rip:

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
1. Have PRIME for fast free shipping
2. Use camelcamelcamel to actually know if you're getting a good deal or not. Don't buy poo poo at its peak price.
3. Put all purchases on PRIME card for automatic 5% off everything
4. Do not buy any random food / grocery store items on Amazon unless they're classified under PRIME PANTRY, so order the full box of poo poo once you need them. This way they're actually cheap.
5. Never buy clothes - always get those direct from your favorite designer/shop.

You people just don't know how to Amazon.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Tiny Bug Child posted:

the chinese have totally colonized clothes on amazon. i was trying to buy a belt the other day and couldn't find anything that wasn't from a brand named something like "Tonly Monders" (they have a site and they left the lorem ipsum text on it: http://www.tonlymonders.com/)

lol

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Amazon only really seems to be good for the sort of random stuff you'd buy from department stores and only a range of that, or for off-brand replacement materials for stuff like toothbrush heads/razors/etc.

I have no idea why you'd trust buying like a 50" TV or anything like that from Amazon considering half my boxes arrive beaten to poo poo and sending stuff back is a huge pain in the rear end compared to just taking the thing back to the dreaded bigbox store and getting a replacement on the spot.

I get my Prime sub's worth for holidays and birthdays. I try to buy poo poo from local stores but increasingly when you need very specific things Amazon or the like is the only place that has them. Amazon also gets by because no one (rightfully) wants to trust any small storefront's poorly implemented, pre-canned point-of-sale solution that ISN'T backed by a zillion dollar company that will generally give you replacements or refunds without a fight if your poo poo shows up broken or doesn't show up at all or if your CC info gets ripped.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I think it’s easier to go the fuckin store. It’s like you buy the thing and you got it then.

I think it's easier to press a button on my laptop while sitting on my rear end in my underwear, personally

I have no fuckin clue how people buy clothes (other than jeans) on Amazon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
A coworker ordered some dog collars off of there, waited weeks for them from China and got a bra instead. We were unable to fashion the bra into a usable dog collar, so he got his money back.

• Locked thread