Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you own or rent?
Own my own house
Rent, and plan to keep doing that
Rent, and want to buy a house
I live in a van by the river
View Results

• Locked thread
Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
I own a house in a bad area of the Atlanta suburbs, I bought it cheap as a fixer-upper and I'm pouring sweat equity into it as we speak. Owning my own house was a dream I've had all my life, so I'm pretty happy. I've seen a lot of posts about how hard it is to buy a house these days, so now I'm curious as to how many goons here rent vs. own their homes, and whether the goal for most is long-term home ownership. Do you own a house? Do you ever want to own one, or do you plan to just rent? Why, and how old are you\where do you live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
nope :)

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
gently caress owning houses, own people instead

Wait, I mean

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
We own a house and just finished renovating the bathrooms. A new patio is next.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I own but I'm in Detroit so I was able to buy in a quiet neighborhood for less than 30k and get a nice 3 bedroom 2 story brick house with a finished basement, new roof, new furnace & central air, a fireplace and all new high end appliances including dishwasher, washer and dryer. Renting would be stupid

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I have a wonderful, exciting, thrilling mortgage and the suburban middle-class lifestyle of my dreams

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I rent in northern virginia

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

On our second house, saddled with crippling mortgage debt for the rest of our lives together :v:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I own but want to rent plz don't ignore the plight of my people

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i currently rent but am looking to buy my first property hopefully soon. i've identified a nice fixer-upper condo that has a fantastic view that i'm pretty sure i'm gonna fire on. if it doesn't work out i'm gonna renew my lease and wait another year for another go.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

criscodisco posted:

I own but I'm in Detroit so I was able to buy in a quiet neighborhood for less than 30k and get a nice 3 bedroom 2 story brick house with a finished basement, new roof, new furnace & central air, a fireplace and all new high end appliances including dishwasher, washer and dryer. Renting would be stupid

It's incredible what you can buy in Detroit, I browse the under-100k ads on Curbed and drool

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

My mortgage is $700, so "own" b/c it's a loving sweet rear end deal imo.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Mine is $0, which is even better

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yes, OP

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I'm in the Seattle area so I have to rent because it's nearly impossible to find anything to buy below half a million dollars at this point. Literally have seen a 400,000 dollar one bedroom one bath shack.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I don’t feel secure enough at my job to buy. So I rent.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I own my home, op. Just got central air installed this past Monday. :cool:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i put up a hammock at work :ssh:

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

bradzilla posted:

I own my home, op. Just got central air installed this past Monday. :cool:

Can I have your autograph

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
I own a house that I rent out, I also own a condo that has sat empty for months but I'm planning on renting it out, I live in a 3rd house that my partner owns. In the next couple of years I think we will buy a 4th house together and keep the other ones as investments.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Three Olives posted:

I own a house that I rent out, I also own a condo that has sat empty for months but I'm planning on renting it out, I live in a 3rd house that my partner owns. In the next couple of years I think we will buy a 4th house together and keep the other ones as investments.

Real houses, not Barbie dream houses.

cnut
May 3, 2016

I pwn, op. :grin:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Three Olives posted:

I live in a 3rd house that my partner owns.

How's your task of getting all the minorities to move out of the neighborhood going?

fucking garbage
Mar 8, 2018

by zen death robot

criscodisco posted:

would you say this was actually a good idea or do you have to deal with roaming bands of murderers at night or your water constantly being full of lead or something?

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
We own and seriously lucked out, buying for a reasonable (for the area) price three years ago and now all the comps in our neighborhood are up 80k

It's great but a bit hosed up that a difference of 3 years would've left us renting if we tried to buy now, and all I can think of when it comes to the real estate market is that South Park episode when Stan tried to return the Margaritaville blender and discovers the US economy is driven by a headless chicken running around on a wheel of fortune

e: I'm also keenly aware the bank technically owns any house until the mortgage is paid off, slave to debt, etc etc but it's nice to not have a landlord

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 25, 2018

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Shadow Valley Clowndominiums overlooking the radioactive slag heap and just a stone's throw from the tomb of the unregistered voter.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I own a tiny little house and it's kinda neat sometimes but also kinda annoying. In the end it's costing us a little less than renting an equivalent place but we're building equity so whatever.

The nice thing is there's no landlord to freak out when we do poo poo like decide to remove entire walls, like we did our first night owning the place.

This whole situation would probably cost a shitload more if my wife wasn't a tradesperson though. We can do weekend jobs for the cost of materials that would cost normal people thousands.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I want a house but I live in a expensive city and I'm poor so I will never have a house

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Owning is nice but I miss never having to deal with landscaping and having handymen to call for minor repairs.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Who What Now posted:

Owning is nice but I miss never having to deal with landscaping and having handymen to call for minor repairs.

You know you can still pay people to do stuff for you, right?

fucking garbage
Mar 8, 2018

by zen death robot

Three Olives posted:

You know you can still pay people to do stuff for you, right?

yeah but when you rent you're already paying for that stuff so it's like you can call someone to come fix something and have them never show up and keep making excuses for free.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I rent, but wish I had some nice land out on the edge of town so I could do stupid poo poo on without getting the cops called.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I own a home. From a financial perspective it is nice cuz we got absolute rock bottom fixed rate and housing prices are up probably ~30% in my area over the past couple of years. so we've made out well. The relative permanency kinda stinks because I'm a bit further from a metro-area than I'd like, so job hunting is kind of a pain. It is, however, amazing to be able to come back from work to a place that is all mine.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I paid for my house in cash

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Own a townhouse in Greater Vancouver and would not be able to afford to buy it today. Real-estate here is loving insane.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
one day i plan to own a small productive fruit orchard. i will grow apples, strawberries, black berries, and blueberries. also a small shed for growing edible mushrooms in wood. i won't sell these fruits directly, instead i will make artisan jams and pies to sell at farmers markets. in addition i will have a big green house to experiment with growing more tropical plants like bananas. i will also grow weed in the greenhouse

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

van by the river

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

mikerock posted:

Own a townhouse in Greater Vancouver and would not be able to afford to buy it today. Real-estate here is loving insane.

Yep. Renting forever.

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
Own a small lovely late-70’s era house in a subdivision in typical town in Ontario, Canada. Costs me the same as what my last apartment cost roughly a month. I’d assume I’m better off in the long run owning but meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I rent right now but I think there will be a downturn in the housing market here soon and then I might buy. Probably not though honestly.

• Locked thread