Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed
This poll is closed.
Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed 9 12.68%
Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed 10 14.08%
Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed 9 12.68%
Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed 10 14.08%
gently caress Duke 33 46.48%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Wasn't Tobias Harris a 5* player a few years back?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Scotty Hopson was a 5*.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

vikingstrike posted:

Well I mean there are 5* guys and there are other, better 5* guys aren't there? Mizzou's had a couple 5* guys over the years but Michael Porter Jr was still easily the best single recruit they'd ever gotten last year.

I know nothing about this particular UT recruit. And I don't wish him any ill by mentioning MPJ in this post, I feel like his college 'career' is a uniquely Missouri thing to have happen.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

vikingstrike posted:

its been more than a few years since tobias was in college

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Holy poo poo Scotty Hopson was #5 overall in the 2008 class.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
nvm this is stupid

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Probably the highest rated recruit ever for the Vols. Big get for Ricky Barnes.

Still wont get out of the 2nd round

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
You know for all the people locally and in NCAA Tournament gameday threads who call for Sean Miller to be fired, he's done a pretty drat good job with the 2019 class even with an FBI investigation hanging over his head.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Rick posted:

You know for all the people locally and in NCAA Tournament gameday threads who call for Sean Miller to be fired, he's done a pretty drat good job with the 2019 class even with an FBI investigation hanging over his head.

If it helps any I always just wanted him fired because I find him annoying and disingenuous even by college basketball coach standards and he's successful enough to bug me. So I want him to go away.

Not that I wouldn't try to lord it over Kansas fans mercilessly if they get popped in some meaningful way but everything with the FBI stuff just seems like business as usual to me.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

New Mexico starts their season at ... Cal State Northridge?

Okay, at least theres St. Marys at the Staples Center, and Colorado at The Pit. Its otherwise pretty barren.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Grittybeard posted:

If it helps any I always just wanted him fired because I find him annoying and disingenuous even by college basketball coach standards and he's successful enough to bug me. So I want him to go away.

Not that I wouldn't try to lord it over Kansas fans mercilessly if they get popped in some meaningful way but everything with the FBI stuff just seems like business as usual to me.

This is a perfectly valid reason to want him gone! I just am more posting at the people who think he's bad at his job.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1042959672070815744

So we're totally bribing the poo poo out of them right? How the gently caress is he pulling in a class like this

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I mean, it's USC. It's not a poo poo school.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Probably Magic posted:

I like to think that no one around Enfield just thought to pull up youtube and play the Dunk City video from that tournament run and just sit there. Then say, that's going to be you.

Corrected that and the recruits are just rolling in.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Which one of them is OJ (l)Mayo

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

LSU's Wayde Sims shot and killed last night in his hometown. Dead at 20.
https://www.andthevalleyshook.com/2..._source=twitter

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Probably Magic posted:

It's not but they have had serious recruiting problems until recently for a longgg time.

They seem to be pulling the guys that normally UCLA pulls (and wastes) now.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Jim Gatto (addias rep caught up in the FBI investigation last year) is looking to burn down college basketball

https://twitter.com/DanWetzel/statu...165520523546624

https://twitter.com/DanWetzel/statu...166180375584775

https://twitter.com/DanWetzel/statu...815908738605057

https://twitter.com/DanWetzel/statu...179538059448321

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Dang, Anthony Davis for $200k seems like a deal now.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I am torn. On the one hand, I want players to get paid, on the other, I want the a whole bunch of blue bloods, and really the whole NCAA system to fall apart. I guess if the NCAA falls apart, kids can go get paid in the NBA G league, so I guess it works out.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
NC State signed five-star guard Jalen Lecque, who is one-and-done if he even ends up on campus at all. Still the biggest signing for Keatts so far. No word yet how much he cost.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bird in a Blender posted:

I guess if the NCAA falls apart, kids can go get paid in the NBA G league, so I guess it works out.

The problem with this is the NCAA is popular enough/generates enough money to be able to support paying players, although they'll swear up and down this isn't the case. If you eliminated college basketball I don't think many people would switch over and watch the G league even if it expanded enough to take on all of the good but no chance of an NBA career guys.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

John Calipari is and has always been squeaky clean.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Cavauro posted:

John Calipari is and has always been squeaky clean.

He works at a Nike school and I thought this was related to an Adidas rep?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
My UNC fan friend was already giving me a bit of poo poo about this last week.

I'm prepared.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

vikingstrike posted:

He works at a Nike school and I thought this was related to an Adidas rep?

I don't think it's a coincidence that the schools Gatto is name dropping are mostly Nike schools.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Grittybeard posted:

The problem with this is the NCAA is popular enough/generates enough money to be able to support paying players, although they'll swear up and down this isn't the case. If you eliminated college basketball I don't think many people would switch over and watch the G league even if it expanded enough to take on all of the good but no chance of an NBA career guys.

Yea thats true. The G league will never be popular and is also like 1/20 the size of the NCAA.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/929espn/status/1047975670998093825?s=21

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
https://twitter.com/adamzagoria/status/1047947427418918912?s=21

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Okst bribing players to come and still rear end lol

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Probably the highest rated recruit ever for the Vols. Big get for Ricky Barnes.

I mean, Rick Barnes recruited Kevin Durant to Texas, so yeah. Dudes good at that.

Hes not good at actually coaching or developing players, but he recruits well.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ive never heard of this Texas Creighton. What conference do they play in? :v:

Kidding, but this sounds bad. Has Shaka been doing shady poo poo?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Ive never heard of this Texas Creighton. What conference do they play in? :v:

Kidding, but this sounds bad. Has Shaka been doing shady poo poo?

Pretty sure the upshot is everyone does shady poo poo, everyone knows about it, and what's falling apart at long last is the NCAA's extremely lucrative commitment to the lie of amateur athletics (at least in revenue sports).

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

elentar posted:

Pretty sure the upshot is everyone does shady poo poo.

Except Bruce Weber. Dude wouldn't hire his brother in law or some poo poo to try and entice Jon Scheyer to go to Illinois (I think it was Scheyer, this was over 10 years ago). Didn't even want to give the appearance he was doing anything shady, which is good and all, but....he also did a number on the Illini program.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Nevada is having a "madness" event of sorts tonight. You can stream it online for free if any of you are interested.

http://nevadasportsnet.com/

Starts at 5:30 pm PST.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Attention NCAAB thread:

gently caress Duke

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

https://theathletic.com/584387/2018...-a-pretty-suit/

quote:

Not only were the Wildcats awful, but they were also miserable. Bad teams arent necessarily unhappy ones, but hopeless ones are. This wasnt a rebuild. This wasnt a project. There was no optimism, no light at the end of the tunnel. No encouraging signs to cling to, no discernible direction for the program. This was just a terrible team led by, well, a terrible person. Perpetual teenager Kevin ONeill the temper of Bobby Knight, the coaching ability of Isiah Thomas, the bedside manner of a kick in the nuts was in his third and final year at Northwestern, and he pretty much burned the place down. By the time he bolted the following fall, at the last minute, to take a job as a Knicks assistant, the entire program was in shambles. To wit:

Before the season began, ONeills first recruit, Sean Wink, quit. Maybe its because ONeill only ever referred to him as Prick, and once ran down the court alongside him during an actual game screaming Hey! Hey! Hey! gently caress YOU!

Early in the season, his only scholarship senior, Aron Molnar a 6-foot-11 center who weighed about 42 pounds quit the team, too. Maybe its because ONeill routinely referred to him as Cuntasaurus during practices, no matter which reporters or school officials were present.

Coach of the Year

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

imagine taking a job to coach the northwestern wildcats and then being really angry that they're bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So I took a look at the 2019 recruiting and USC somehow has the #1 recruiting class :psyduck:

• Locked thread