Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
lol

http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/04/an-apology-for-the-internet-from-the-people-who-built-it.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

im glad your finally admitting all this is your fault

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i was gonna shitpost something about, idk, your spine and an internet backbone router or something, but actually that seems like an interesting article so far

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

The internet... made us stupid :(

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Kyanka posted:

My experience with Reddit and my experience with 4chan, if you combine them together, is probably under eight minutes total. But both of them are inadvertently my fault, because I thought they were so terrible that I kicked them off of Something Awful. And then somehow they got worse.

same, i'm glad that someone is finally showing a little backneckbone and taking responsibility for all this

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

ban all social media

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it's an accomplishment after 18 years and three vertebrae that you're still recognized as an authority on the internet being bad

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
didn’t read the article lol but pockets of shittiness were going to find each other and congeal into an abomination like reddit and 4chan with or without SA.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I liked the part where you got a burn in on the Zuck.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

The Architects!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i don't remember rms ever swearing before, he must be getting old in his old age

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
lol

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the internet is going to be the third world war. there are like bombs going off in the crypto currencies, and the gnashing of keys.
the Internet should have a do over after the metallic cleansing, but this time where all rules are put up at the start: no like button! no right click button! no bad bad mark zuckerborg, and app software will be free software as in freedom!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

obstipator posted:

the internet is going to be the third world war. there are like bombs going off in the crypto currencies, and the gnashing of keys.
the Internet should have a do over after the metallic cleansing, but this time where all rules are put up at the start: no like button! no right click button! no bad bad mark zuckerborg, and app software will be free software as in freedom!

loving blind Tiresias, seer of Thebes right here spitting truth.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
not as good as the vice interview

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
actually it may be as good as the vice interview. i will have to deliberate further

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I liked the part where you got a burn in on the Zuck.

also how it was a double burn on both the Zuck and on Twitter

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
given how useless twitter and facebook are, and lowtax's slow progression, perhaps the internet makes you spineless

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
what do you have to say for yourself richard

oh wait there's a whole article about that

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Richard you are responsible for 4chan, reddit and slenderman

I hope you're pleased with yourself mister!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my MIL brought up "anonymous" last night and i had to explain anon and 4chan and SA to her and it was, well, awful

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
I remember when some internet guy conned me out of money for spaceship drawings that never materialized. You'll never be as bad as him, Lowtax.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Its weird reading quotes from RMS and Lowtax back to back like that. I've been posting here for a few years and I'll be god damed if the internet don't really make you stupid.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

DrPossum posted:

I remember when some internet guy conned me out of money for spaceship drawings that never materialized. You'll never be as bad as him, Lowtax.
could really use a Fabulous Bird Prize sometime

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Its weird reading quotes from RMS and Lowtax back to back like that. I've been posting here for a few years and I'll be god damed if the internet don't really make you stupid.

i like to imagine that all the people in that article were interviewed together in one room. that'd be a weird scene.

and i'm not gonna lie, i'm taking particular pleasure in seeing bloviating windbag jaron lanier be all mopey about the internet

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

RICHARD!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
one richard eats poo poo off his foot

the other richard foots his eats off some poo poo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

one richard eats poo poo off his foot

the other richard foots his eats off some poo poo

I appreciate this joke but I'm used to better puns from you.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

my MIL brought up "anonymous" last night and i had to explain anon and 4chan and SA to her and it was, well, awful

i once had to explain the entire sa/4chan/anonymous/alt right thing to my wife

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
im reading this article and the gist seems to be the internet was fine and cool until capitalists invaded and turned it into the exploitative shithole it is now

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

jimmyjams posted:

im reading this article and the gist seems to be everything was fine and cool until capitalists invaded and turned it into the exploitative shithole it is now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
no, the internet was just a chaotic shithole, capitalists turned it into the finely tuned engine of exploitative toxicity it is today

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

jimmyjams posted:

im reading this article and the gist seems to be the internet was fine and cool until capitalists invaded and turned it into the exploitative shithole it is now

more that none of its progenitors realized that people are scum before capitalists realized that scummy people are profitable and easy to co-opt

i mean i don't blame em necessarily, hindsight being 20/20 and all

ed: beaten, sort of

infernal machines posted:

no, the internet was just a chaotic shithole, capitalists turned it into the finely tuned engine of exploitative toxicity it is today

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cat Face Joe posted:

macos voice my wife

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

was the fark guy busy?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
computers were a mistake

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Gazpacho posted:

it's an accomplishment after 18 years and three vertebrae that you're still recognized as an authority on the internet being bad

same

but

for your posts!

Schadenboner posted:

loving blind Tiresias, seer of Thebes right here spitting truth.

some screaming fist poo poo right here

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cat Face Joe posted:

I just say it’s terrible people on the internet. she knows no good will come from further inquiries

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
They left out my quote when I said the internet was good back when there was a learning barrier to using it, and you had to do a little research to figure out what the gently caress you're doing, but now any retard can use it, and they're the ones who use it the most

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Lowtax posted:

They left out my quote when I said the internet was good back when there was a learning barrier to using it, and you had to do a little research to figure out what the gently caress you're doing, but now any retard can use it, and they're the ones who use it the most

look at this technocratic elitist here :rolleye:

• Locked thread