Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
We can kill us, but the earth will go on.

Nature has been created to destroy us, friends. Today we're so confortable thinking that we're killing earth, but its the opposite. We're controlling her and using it to serve our needs, that's why the past 300 years were full of richness, progress and right now we're not being doomed to starve to death just like "mother" earth wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

The planet's dyin Cloud

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Hm... Earth... the only enemy I've yet to vanquish. Heh.

*draws hanzo steel*

Let's do this.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
as long as shareholder value is created whatever i guess

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
The advantage in letting all the wimpy wild animals die off and most of the enviornment destroyed it would shut the enviornmentalists. We could move on without the crying and lamentations of limp wristed enviornmentalists, liberalati, and supposed communists.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

bradzilla posted:

The planet's dyin Cloud

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
squid loving love the new oceans

don't be anti-squid

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The true purpose of elon musks boring company is to strategically place nuclear weapons throughout the earths crust in an effort to rend the planet asunder

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

we still have a chance if we try a little harder

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

squid loving love the new oceans

don't be anti-squid
squids are scrubs. in 20 years we'll have all kinds of loving cool new jellyfish

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
create a giant electro-magnet, aim it at the asteroid belt, wait a few years.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
People like George Carlin and others never understood the basic idea of "saving the planet." It never referred to the rock. It always referred to the thin biosphere. Yeah sure, life would probably go on after we went extinct and the biosphere "recovered." But we and most other species could and probably will bite it once the biosphere is fully hosed. The idea that environmentalists and greens meant saving the rock or even all life was, at best, a dodge.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Love Rat posted:

People like George Carlin and others never understood the basic idea of "saving the planet." It never referred to the rock. It always referred to the thin biosphere. Yeah sure, life would probably go on after we went extinct and the biosphere "recovered." The idea that environmentalists and green meant the rock was, at best, a dodge.
:thunk:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Love Rat posted:

People like George Carlin and others never understood the basic idea of "saving the planet." It never referred to the rock. It always referred to the thin biosphere. Yeah sure, life would probably go on after we went extinct and the biosphere "recovered." The idea that environmentalists and green meant the rock was, at best, a dodge.

counterpoint: George Carlin didn't give a poo poo

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
looting and polluting is not the way

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

We can't kill the planet, but the planet will kill us to save itself.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

VikingSkull posted:

counterpoint: George Carlin didn't give a poo poo

True, but he engaged in a lot of the pedantry he hated. I still think he was incredibly funny and on point 90 percent of the time.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I hope the planet wins

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The earth made us into the self interested little shits we are it can hardly complain that we're gonna reduce the genetic biodiversity down to only what can live off blood garbage or sewage.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Planet of the Apes was a documentary.

Plus, well, we're apes too. So I guess it's already Planet of the Apes up in here.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

reignofevil posted:

The earth made us into the self interested little shits we are it can hardly complain that we're gonna reduce the genetic biodiversity down to only what can live off blood garbage or sewage.
oh phew goons are safe then.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
*does "suck it" crotch-chop to globe* payback time bitch

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Love Rat posted:

People like George Carlin and others never understood the basic idea of "saving the planet." It never referred to the rock. It always referred to the thin biosphere. Yeah sure, life would probably go on after we went extinct and the biosphere "recovered." But we and most other species could and probably will bite it once the biosphere is fully hosed. The idea that environmentalists and greens meant saving the rock or even all life was, at best, a dodge.

I always took the joke as why do we feel the need to personify the planet earth as a creature to be saved. Why did we pick "save the planet" instead of "save the biosphere"? Because people like having a grand illusion that they can have an impact on something as big as earth. Carlin takes that personification and says, well maybe earth needed more plastic, and wants everything else dead.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Nude posted:

I always took the joke as why do we feel the need to personify the planet earth as a creature to be saved. Why did we pick "save the planet" instead of "save the biosphere"? Because people like having a grand illusion that they can have an impact on something as big as earth. Carlin takes that personification and says, well maybe earth needed more plastic, and wants everything else dead.

Yeah, the more I remember the bit, the more I realize I was off base.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Theoretically we could make a nuclear reactor, have it melt down, and drive a uranium spike all the way to the mantle, causing artificial volcanoes and screw up the tectonic plates or something as well.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
Oh come on OP, I bet if we could if we were really trying. We're a plucky little species.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Lime Tonics posted:

Theoretically we could make a nuclear reactor, have it melt down, and drive a uranium spike all the way to the mantle, causing artificial volcanoes and screw up the tectonic plates or something as well.
we should figure out a way to make a black hole massive enough to be self sustaining. completely destroy the earth, no information at all about its previous state except total mass recoverable

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Love Rat posted:

Yeah, the more I remember the bit, the more I realize I was off base.

All good :unsmith: I like discussing it either way.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

a hole-y ghost posted:

we should figure out a way to make a black hole massive enough to be self sustaining. completely destroy the earth, no information at all about its previous state except total mass recoverable

large hadrons on that, but there are ethics/ old men running the world.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Lime Tonics posted:

large hadrons on that, but there are ethics/ old men running the world.
Large Hadron Collider's been running for years but it's a particle accelerator for little bitch men and doesn't have nearly enough power to make a runaway black hole.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

a hole-y ghost posted:

Large Hadron Collider's been running for years but it's a particle accelerator for little bitch men and doesn't have nearly enough power to make a runaway black hole.

Then make a bigger one. but that's scary.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
A particle collider that runs the entire circumference of the globe

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Pitdragon posted:

A particle collider that runs the entire circumference of the globe

no joke, that might alter orbit/gravity/would cost too much.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

a hole-y ghost posted:

NEED MORE FUNDING

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

we need bezos to go blofeld

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
We cannot kill the planet, it is killing us—THAT is the point.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Good I lust for death

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
it seems alot of people dont want the planet to die.

maybe if we gave them and incentive?

like 10% off ?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What is the meaning of life? PLASTIC, rear end in a top hat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lauroon Kyanka
Sep 17, 2017

*trips on a ladybug*

*dies of old age*
*sees that the planet can no longer support human life*

"omg the planet is dying."

no it's not rear end in a top hat. you just suck at adapting to your own environment.

• Locked thread