Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play Nicktoons

Do you remember the Nicktoons series of games? It all started with Nicktoons Unite!, a sixth gen action-RPG with a very clear focus toward a young target audience. It starred the four most popular Nickelodeon heroes at the time, and was a big hit with kids, but didn't look so good through a critical lens. It was slow and tedious, even if it had clear love for its source material.

It didn't take long for THQ to capitalize on the success of the first game, and it spawned a franchise. There were four main games in the entire series, with each entry having some portable counterparts. We're going to be playing through the weirdest entries in the Nicktoons series, and exploring their creativity, the odd mixture of normally incompatible licenses, strange shifts in tone, and sometimes bizarre gameplay choices.

This thread will cover:

The Nintendo DS version of Nicktoons Unite!

Attack of The Toybots

and Globs of Doom

So these aren't shovelware?

Well, no, I don't think so. Even the original Nicktoons Unite! for consoles was very faithful to the cartoons and their personalities in spite of its flaws, and I think the three games I picked to LP are particularly weird and outstanding for one reason or another.

Spoiler policy?

This may sound odd, but no story spoilers for Globs of Doom or Attack of The Toybots, please. They get a little weird at the end, and I want it to be a surprise.

Videos

1. HD Syrup

2. I'm sure that makes sense

3. Starkos

4. Angry Shampoo

5. Angels Don't Exist

6. Finale

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play Attack of The Toybots

“A keen sense of obligation, good timing, and lots of jumping.”

Attack of The Toybots is the most challenging game in the Nicktoons series, which comes with positives and drawbacks. The drawback is that it can seem downright cruel for a children's game, with platforming so precise it could probably turn away most adults. The positive is that this is easily the most creative and rewarding Nicktoons game in terms of game design. It may not make the best use of the cartoons in its mechanics, but even without the license it would be an excellent platformer worth the attention of anyone who wants their rear handed to them.

Videos

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 23, 2018

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
No Fanboy & CHumChum? Not watching :argh:

Seriously though, the only goof thing about that show was the theme song, and then only because it was both amazingly awful and astoundingly catchy.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

CommissarMega posted:

the only goof thing about that show

I can assure you there were many "goof" things about that show.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Egad that floppy rear end tongue on Spongebob! Way more realistic and grotesque than in the heavy iron games.

I'm interested here - I tried to play Nicktoons Unite a few days ago on an emulator, but it wouldn't save at all - every save point just saved it at "Ghost Zone Prison 0% ". Also the textures were constantly warping. This game looks fun though, I'll probably give it a go later.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm interested here - I tried to play Nicktoons Unite a few days ago on an emulator,

You should really only play that one with friends.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

You should really only play that one with friends.

Yeah. I've moved on to Creature from the Krusty Krab and having a lot more fun with it. I tried Battle for Bikini Bottom and got stuck at the Mermalair, those levels get hard. I'll probably go back to it though.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The only Nicktoons related games I have are Rugrats Studio Tour which was fun for what it was, Battle for Bikini Bottom which I completed but haven't 100%d, and the first two Tak games which I haven't played yet.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah. I've moved on to Creature from the Krusty Krab and having a lot more fun with it. I tried Battle for Bikini Bottom and got stuck at the Mermalair, those levels get hard. I'll probably go back to it though.

Creature from The Krusty Krab is creative

Chimera-gui posted:

The only Nicktoons related games I have are Rugrats Studio Tour which was fun for what it was, Battle for Bikini Bottom which I completed but haven't 100%d, and the first two Tak games which I haven't played yet.

I'd say the original Tak games are fairly special and well made

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Playing Nicktoons Unite on Gamecube with 3 other people is probably one of the fondest video game memories that I have. It's sadly way too short, but it was really fun.

Even then though, I knew I should never touch it again. Leave the memories alone and all that.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

Even then though, I knew I should never touch it again. Leave the memories alone and all that.

It isn't a great game, but it's more fun with a full couch

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

By the way Games, something particularly striking about Creature from the Krusty Krab is that really weird main menu music - it starts off doing the usual "Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?" rhythm, then goes totally minor key and distorted. It's weeeeeeird, and very off-putting, like Survival Horror Spongebob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aogq4hqWx6s

Really bizarre remix. I loving love it though.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

By the way Games, something particularly striking about Creature from the Krusty Krab is that really weird main menu music - it starts off doing the usual "Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?" rhythm, then goes totally minor key and distorted. It's weeeeeeird, and very off-putting, like Survival Horror Spongebob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aogq4hqWx6s

Really bizarre remix. I loving love it though.

It fits with the absurd nature of the game, Blitz Games always has confident music like this

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Why do you keep doing this to yourself.

I mean, I appreciate it, but dang dude.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Solumin posted:

Why do you keep doing this to yourself.

I mean, I appreciate it, but dang dude.

But I like these ones

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lip hugger

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So I'm guessing most of the character zones aren't actually going to be anything but slightly more difficult platforming? Does it change per character or is a Tak side-zone always going to be enhanced 2D platforming?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Glazius posted:

So I'm guessing most of the character zones aren't actually going to be anything but slightly more difficult platforming? Does it change per character or is a Tak side-zone always going to be enhanced 2D platforming?

tak's special gimmick is harder 2d platforming, spongey's gimmick is tongue sliding, and danny's gimmick is slight gameplay spoilers

nobody else has unique gimmicks, and the character zones are usually used to explore more design from the main level

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Toybots is a game made with love and dreams.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SpongeBob's mech is my favorite

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, Nicks Machina, just started playing it and it's cool.

e: in the Danny Phantom Ghost (in the machine?) section it seems you only get more time by blowing up the pink door blocks, unless blowing up the door blocks adds time depending on the numbered blocks you destroyed beforehand?

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 12:12 on May 7, 2018

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Oh yeah, Nicks Machina, just started playing it and it's cool.

e: in the Danny Phantom Ghost (in the machine?) section it seems you only get more time by blowing up the pink door blocks, unless blowing up the door blocks adds time depending on the numbered blocks you destroyed beforehand?

it's entirely possible i just hallucinated more complex game mechanics, it happens sometimes

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Its so weird how underutilized the Mecha concept is. I thought they might try and impliment it into the jumping sections as some kind of powerup similair to the goo blaster guns, but no. Also, I'm looking forward to seeing the other characters in this game, it really is special how many series they crammed into this game even just for the playable characters.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tombot posted:

Its so weird how underutilized the Mecha concept is. I thought they might try and impliment it into the jumping sections as some kind of powerup similair to the goo blaster guns, but no. Also, I'm looking forward to seeing the other characters in this game, it really is special how many series they crammed into this game even just for the playable characters.

I think there's two more playable characters to unlock.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

in this level, the game attempts to give us a "right proper fuckin'"

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
If I could hazard a guess, The numbered blocks do give time, but only after you destroy the next objective. Also, that was some seriously hard looking platforming, all to end on a turret section of all things. It makes me wonder what they had planned for this game.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tombot posted:

If I could hazard a guess, The numbered blocks do give time, but only after you destroy the next objective. Also, that was some seriously hard looking platforming, all to end on a turret section of all things. It makes me wonder what they had planned for this game.

I think the primary goal was to destroy small children, with a secondary goal of inducing confusion in adults.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Chimera-gui posted:

The original Tak games aren't really Nicktoons games or licensed games; it's actually the other way around. Nickelodeon saw that platformers targeted at kids were loving raking in dough and decided to fund an original game IP, which ended up being Tak; they didn't turn it into a cartoon until well after the last game of the original series came out, and the cartoon sucked rear end. (There were a couple of tie-in games for the Wii/PS2 based on the cartoon, and they were also awful.)

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It's sad that some people remember the cartoon more than the original trilogy of games, but I guess it can't be helped.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

that's some loving weird poo poo right there

and that's the end of toybots, folks

stay tuned for the good version of the original nicktoons unite

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Well that certainly ended with a conclusion, at least the game looked fun. I loved the final reward for collecting all the fairies, even though I don't think you get anything from it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tombot posted:

Well that certainly ended with a conclusion, at least the game looked fun. I loved the final reward for collecting all the fairies, even though I don't think you get anything from it.

you don't unlock anything, no, but it was a fun cutscene

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So question, spoilered just in case which of these games has the best Nicktoon, Invader Zim.

Also this is good and cool like everything you do GamesAreSupernice, I hope you make many more LP's into the future as you just seem to love games.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 24, 2018

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lord_Magmar posted:

So question, spoilered just in case which of these games has the best Nicktoon, Invader Zim.

Also this is good and cool like everything you do GamesAreSupernice, I hope you make many more LP's into the future as you just seem to love games.

Globs of Doom has Zim and Dib as playable characters. It took a drat long time to get there, but only Zim really acts in-character

and thank you, sharing these games really matters a lot

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play "Nicktoons Unite"

If I told you they were making a game starring the four most popular Nicktoons, what would first come to mind? An adventure game, right? Maybe a 3D platformer? Something that made unique use of all the heroes' abilities and let you traverse your favorite, most recognizable locations? Well, the console version of Nicktoons Unite may have failed on that front, but the DS port didn't. Let me introduce the version of Nicktoons Unite you actually wanted. This one's a 3D platformer, and it actually delivers on the promise its concept implies! Just, not in the story department.

Videos

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 27, 2018

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

No this game doesn't have Box Ghost

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
The only game I can compare this to off the top of my head is 'Agents of Mayhem'. That also had multiple characters you could switch between for different things, but that game had way more than just four guys.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tombot posted:

The only game I can compare this to off the top of my head is 'Agents of Mayhem'. That also had multiple characters you could switch between for different things, but that game had way more than just four guys.

You mean the Volition TPS?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Yeah thats the one, I'd say that game started off about as dry as this one in regards to gameplay. Incidentally I actually looked something up and discovered there was another Nickelodeon game for the Gameboy Advance that had about as many different crossovers as Attack of the Toybots did. It was called 'Nicktoons: Freeze Frame Frenzy' and it looks facinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

it's fun and cool and i like the boss concept

• Locked thread