Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ticket: video players online should have pause, volume, mute, and STOP controls while theyre loading, online. u should be able to mute, interrupt, cancel, or adjust volume on any embedded video element while it is loading. i was just on the CNN website and had to mute my speakers while an embedded black box spun a thinking circle within it, like a ticking time bomb for noise. now i can't continue to read the article, scroll, or tab away until this piece of poo poo player is done loading and i can mute or pause it. im trapped watching this big dumb black rectangle churn away loading whatever diabolical horse poo poo and 5000 mb of scripts flash by in the bottom bar like watching a linux boot up

can the YOSPOS boys and gals please submit this request to W3 or something or whoever has control over these kids of standards? some kind of browser consortium?

do not say adblock it, because while I, personally, can adblock it, as can any of the brainiacs in YOSPOS, this ticket is for the PEOPLE OF EARTH - many of whom don't know how to use advanced hacking tools.

THANK YOU for doing the needful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the autoplay videos on news sites are loving awful

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Yes but what about illiterate people who read news sites? Now they have to not accidentally clicked mute?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
before his twitter was nuked lowtax had a great tweet about an autoplaying video staying on his screen when he tried to scroll past, then staying on his desktop when he closed the window, then jumping out of the computer and blaring at him in real life when he shut the computer down

he had a lot of funny tweets. now they're lost in time like tears in mangosteen juice

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 22, 2018

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
destroy the internet and start over

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Salt Fish posted:

Yes but what about illiterate people who read news sites? Now they have to not accidentally clicked mute?

i'll tell you this in thirty seconds but first some important words about life insurance

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

autoplay videos should be illegalized

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sham bam bamina! posted:

he had a lot of funny tweets.

drat, i missed those

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i know it's incredibly square but i like lowtax :shobon:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i know it's incredibly square but i like lowtax :shobon:

i, too, am an ILLer

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

safari already stops autoplaying videos with sound op, and i believe chrome is trying this in their betas as well

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Last Chance posted:

their betas

please dont talk about their users that way

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Last Chance posted:

safari already stops autoplaying videos with sound op, and i believe chrome is trying this in their betas as well

switch to safari, the only good web browser. op is probably using a browser made by an advertising company

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

The Management posted:

switch to safari, the only good web browser. op is probably using a browser made by an advertising company

mcmann and tate explorer plus

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Last Chance posted:

The Management posted:

this isnt about a fix for any particular user, its about a web standard, for all ppl of this earth. thank you for your consideration and doing the needful. bless

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

op this has to come from the web browser, people who put websites together are idiots

so are the browser makers, but there are fewer of them

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they dont want you to have a pause button. Sorry OP

If you have any further questions or would like to continue the discussion, feel free to reply to this ticket. Otherwise, it will auto-resolve in 72 hours. Thanks, and we appreciate your understanding.

Jonny
Customer Support

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Say a user is in some distant country or maybe just a bad mobile carrier and they have metered data... And not much of it due to poverty or something. They are forced to dl like at least half of this piece of poo poo video and the ad that rolls before it just so they can mash the pause button? They should be able to intervene before that happens. It's like force feeding data down.someones tubes and it makes me sick.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Smythe posted:

Say a user is in some distant country or maybe just a bad mobile carrier and they have metered data... And not much of it due to poverty or something. They are forced to dl like at least half of this piece of poo poo video and the ad that rolls before it just so they can mash the pause button? They should be able to intervene before that happens. It's like force feeding data down.someones tubes and it makes me sick.

that person's broke as gently caress and nobody cares about their ad eyes and thus their page deliveries are worthless. im sorry that these truths are harsh, but theyre real

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Imagine if there was a 500mb bmp file on a website. Ppl would revolt. Same thing but the bmp also makes sound and lags ur compy to gently caress - it's even worse. I have 50 beastly cores that can render every eyelash on my orc wife at 600fps as she cuts me down and eviscerates my pathetic elf guts in 8k VR POV, and yet? This embedded player lags my balls off. Gas and ban this heap of a player.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

that person's broke as gently caress and nobody cares about their ad eyes and thus their page deliveries are worthless. im sorry that these truths are harsh, but theyre real

wow ... that's hosed up. I hope they know that I care about them. I love them, and advocate for them.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
The other day my host sent me a thing saying there were haxors on teh my website and it was hosed up the rear end. This leads to me sending my web guy to fix which costs me about a million of my sad non-profit dollars. I think hosts should do this to all ppl who have this kind of bad embedded player. My $0.02.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hmmm, your web guy knows just how 2 fix the site after it gets "hacked"??? sounds like an inside job imo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shaggar posted:

hmmm, your web guy knows just how 2 fix the site after it gets "hacked"??? sounds like an inside job imo

it's certainly possible and if true I commend him for a successful ruse to siphon some money from the slightly richer (my work) to him (Indian guy who kicks rear end and sends me hot fresh dank memes sometimes)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Smythe posted:

Imagine if there was a 500mb bmp file on a website. Ppl would revolt. Same thing but the bmp also makes sound and lags ur compy to gently caress - it's even worse. I have 50 beastly cores that can render every eyelash on my orc wife at 600fps as she cuts me down and eviscerates my pathetic elf guts in 8k VR POV, and yet? This embedded player lags my balls off. Gas and ban this heap of a player.

sorry these days are here now. content providers are hitting the 5GB max object limit in our system and we're raising it this year once we can figure out how.

so many 1's and 0's flyin around

Your woes are a big reason why so many video middlemen exist. several companies are out there just to sort out that corner of the page for you. but u gotta pay

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i'll sign your proposal, smythe

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the proposal you really want is to never ever load, much less play, video without explicit user intervention. force all browsers to do this.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

The Management posted:

the proposal you really want is to never ever load, much less play, video without explicit user intervention. force all browsers to do this.

This!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Also I think all the lovely videos are why Facebook now like has a memory leak or something and lags out and becomes unresponsive after a while of being in a background tab or something. This is a different topic I think but it is also a bad offender of lagging the gently caress out of my sick rig somehow with autoplay videos.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
theres an easy solve for the FB issue btw

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

theres an easy solve for the FB issue btw

Many ppl including myself have to use it and manage 15 pages and billions of messages, tags and ad campaigns for work FML

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
market capture is a biiiiiiiiitch

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

market capture is a biiiiiiiiitch

It is.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
murder the internet

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017

Smythe posted:

Many ppl including myself have to use it and manage 15 pages and billions of messages, tags and ad campaigns for work FML

Do u use it for privacy gathering too, mr russian spy!!!

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

chrome now mutes autoplaying videos by default. first step towards making it a web standard

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

lampey posted:

chrome now mutes autoplaying videos by default. first step towards making it a web standard

muting doesn’t hurt a site’s videos played count, which is all they care about. but it also doesn’t save you any data or avoid distraction

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i'll get right on it, op. should have some progress for tomorrow's scrum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

ok done. restart steam and lemme know what you think

• Locked thread