Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Like, anyone who lives in the tri-state metro area will refer to NYC as just "the city," but I found that happened much less when I lived in/around Boston. I went to school outside Philly but I never really heard locals refer to it as anything but either Philly or whatever neighborhood they were talking about.

I'm curious if more rural areas with smaller major cities nearby follow similar trends, or what? Also kind of curious if there's a similar thing for people who just live hours and hours away from a major population center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Denver. Biggest city for 500 miles around.

It sucks and everything is expensive and there are more hobos here than anywhere else except maybe for the bay area

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
i live in the texas panhandle where the dust bowl never ended

and no, no one refers to the biggest city as The city

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

I used to live in vermont and when people said the city they meant burlington which is hysterically sad.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

I live in Iowa and the only city within an hour is Sioux City, everyone here generally refers that to the city.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

nesamdoom posted:

I live in Iowa and the only city within an hour is Sioux City, everyone here generally refers that to the city.

Have you considered not living in iowa

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

Denver. Biggest city for 500 miles around.

It sucks and everything is expensive and there are more hobos here than anywhere else except maybe for the bay area

I had fun there but yeah tons of homeless, most of them seemed to be burnout white dudes with dreads. Very pushy.

Wulfolme posted:

i live in the texas panhandle where the dust bowl never ended

and no, no one refers to the biggest city as The city

Do they refer to any city at all nearby as 'the city?" or just nobody ever says that?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
ya, DC

Everyone hates driving into The City, potholes and lovely prezs everywhere.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

that extreme concentration of "other" in California's Bay Area is San Francisco
we even have a local clothing brand called "The City" and their logo is the Golden Gate Bridge because even L.A. knows there's only one motherfuckin The City for this coast bih

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I live in south Florida and we all call Miami “Miami” also we rent assault rifles before we drive there

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cubone posted:

we even have a local clothing brand called "The City" and their logo is the Golden Gate Bridge because even L.A. knows there's only one motherfuckin The City for this coast bih

that's pretty interesting, I didn't know NYC was so well-known across the country as "the city" like that. I grew up in the shadow of NYC so i guess I took it for granted.

Also interesting how there's the ring around Chicago, but then a big dead zone where people are just like "what city?" Same goes with New England, basically none of Greater Boston and its suburbs refer to Boston as The City, but everywhere else in NE does.

although the coloring is a bit confusing, they could have done that a bit better.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Supreme Allah posted:

ya, DC

Everyone hates driving into The City, potholes and lovely prezs everywhere.

I usually hear it as downtown but I hear the city too

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
Yup, Corpus Christi.

The sparkling city by the sea and the body of christ.

The old mayor used to get made when you called it Corpus because that just means corpse... which is probably closer to the truth.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Cubone posted:

I don't believe that most of California uses "the city" to reference Chicago that makes no fuckin sense

E: red filter hosed me up nm

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Cubone posted:

LA is so decentralized and more of a big barf of sprawl that I'm not surprised by this.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cubone posted:

No one in socal says 'the city' tbh

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Salty Josh posted:

Yup, Corpus Christi.

The sparkling city by the sea and the body of christ.

The old mayor used to get made when you called it Corpus because that just means corpse... which is probably closer to the truth.

literally the only time I've ever heard of corpus christi was in the movie Selena so makes sense

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Grape posted:

LA is so decentralized and more of a big barf of sprawl that I'm not surprised by this.

Bc yeah it's just megacity west out here at this point

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Moridin920 posted:

No one in socal says 'the city' tbh

yah they mostly say “im getting hosed financially but look at my stock options”

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

literally the only time I've ever heard of corpus christi was in the movie Selena so makes sense

They have this Selena party once a year called Fiesta De La Flor.

It's dumb as gently caress.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I call it "Frisco" :smugbird:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Also interesting how there's the ring around Chicago, but then a big dead zone where people are just like "what city?" Same goes with New England, basically none of Greater Boston and its suburbs refer to Boston as The City, but everywhere else in NE does.

although the coloring is a bit confusing, they could have done that a bit better.

I think you're confused wrt Boston, the color is yellow, so yeah most of East Mass and RI are calling it "the city".
While weirdly enough the three northern New England states seem to lean more NYC.

I think West Mass, and Hartford County/East Conn is orange, so some kind of hybrid of people referring to Boston or NYC in equal amounts as the city. Those poor saps are not New York enough to be Tri-State, nor New England enough to be Boston area.
The Knowledge Corridor is a cultural void, sporting the only rear end ugly city in New England, Springfield. They're lucky Hartford is (deceptively) pretty.

Grape fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 24, 2018

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Didnt corpus christi get wiped off the map like a hunnet years ago

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
tbh there’s nothing good on the east coast north of savannah

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Can confirm that if you had said to me in Central Illinois growing up "wanna go to the city?" I would have stared confused by the very concept of the question

"Like, as opposed to how we are standing in a cornfield, or...?"

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

let it mellow posted:

The Northeast owns, and Savannah smells like poop half the time.
And the rest south of that is basically Florida (a problem).

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

let it mellow posted:

There's a point where that sentence stops meaning "chicago" and starts meaning st louis, if that sentence means anything at all. I think that point is cahokia

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I live in a town of ~9000 and there is another town nearby of ~5000 that refers to my town as "the city"

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Nap Ghost

Blue Train posted:

I live in a town of ~9000 and there is another town nearby of ~5000 that refers to my town as "the city"

I live in a town of ~5000 and can attest to 9000 being a City.

My rule of thumb is that if it has a Dairy Queen, it's a city.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Grape posted:

The Northeast owns, and Savannah smells like poop half the time.
And the rest south of that is basically Florida (a problem).

the northeast is an expensive shithole tho

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Grape posted:

I think you're confused wrt Boston, the color is yellow, so yeah most of East Mass and RI are calling it "the city".
While weirdly enough the three northern New England states seem to lean more NYC.

I think West Mass, and Hartford County/East Conn is orange, so some kind of hybrid of people referring to Boston or NYC in equal amounts as the city. Those poor saps are not New York enough to be Tri-State, nor New England enough to be Boston area.
The Knowledge Corridor is a cultural void, sporting the only rear end ugly city in New England, Springfield. They're lucky Hartford is (deceptively) pretty.

Weird, I was in/around Boston for 7 years and I very rarely heard it referred to as such. I heard some RI people calling Providence the city, though.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

I used to live in vermont and when people said the city they meant burlington which is hysterically sad.

There are four towns within a half hour of me larger than Burlington, and I'm in fuckin Idaho
I can't think of any city in the northwest that is referred to as The City. We just nickname all the towns instead. Spokompton, Vantucky, Garden lovely are my favorites.
The Portland suburbs have racial nicknames, big shock I know

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Weird, I was in/around Boston for 7 years and I very rarely heard it referred to as such. I heard some RI people calling Providence the city, though.

I'm just going off the map, so I dunno, might not be the most accurate map.

Though yeah in western Connecticut we absolutely do call NYC "the city".
Like Litchfield/Fairfield/New Haven counties, the Tri-State part of the state. The rest of the state is either more pure New England, or the aforementioned void of the Knowledge Corridor. Dunno what they call "the city".

let it mellow posted:

the northeast is an expensive shithole tho

We make more money generally, even in minimum wage lol. Also we don't have to live surrounded by MAGA Max wastelands. Very reasonable price if you consider it.
Honestly the cost of living isn't so bad if you're not like right directly in the metro areas of NYC or whatnot. Eastern Connecticut is cheap as heck.

Grape fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 24, 2018

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Cubone posted:

SF and NY are the two great cities of the US at least nowadays so it makes sense.

I do like that the south still knows who lords over them lol.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I live in the south and I've never ever heard anyone say the city referring to nyc

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Idiot Kicker posted:

There are four towns within a half hour of me larger than Burlington, and I'm in fuckin Idaho
I can't think of any city in the northwest that is referred to as The City. We just nickname all the towns instead. Spokompton, Vantucky, Garden lovely are my favorites.
The Portland suburbs have racial nicknames, big shock I know

My favorite is Lake Nonegro.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I live near a small city of about 100,000 and it's still "town." "I'm going into town," "Take Center Street towards town then take a left at Bishop Ave..." etc, even though it is in fact definitely a small city not a town.

Unless you get to one of the nearby dinky actual towns, in which case "town" refers to the dinky-rear end town in question, but only for a small radius around it, before "town" once again defaults back to the city, at least until you get to the county border at which point you're probably in the radius of some other small city instead.

If you said "let's go to the city" people would stare at you blankly and ask what city you meant, cause nobody says that.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 24, 2018

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
NYC is, to me, Megacity One The City. Dallas and Houston are the city, no caps. "Are you flying out of Love or DFW?" "Love, so we should leave earlier for traffic in the city."

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 24, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
People in Brooklyn call Manhattan "the city".

Baltimore is surrounded by a big county, also called Baltimore, so "Baltimore" refers to the whole area and then you're either "out in the county" or "down in the city".

Philly is a bit more divided and people are more likely to refer to North Philly, Center City, South Philly, West Philly, or just plain old Northeast.

Wilmington, Delaware is surrounded by a vast suburban sprawl, almost totally unincorporated, which is also usually called "Wilmington". So if you're talking about a place actually inside its boundaries it's important to specify "the city of Wilmington".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Delaware doesn't exkit, it's a fake address for credit card companies.

• Locked thread