Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zomgcatsonfire
Apr 14, 2009
I've recently been looking to change emails to servers hosted in the UK/Ireland.

I thought bt internet might be a solution, but alas emails on those servers are hosted in the US.

The more I searched, the more I found that most well known Email servers are hosted in the US.

Why is that?

Does anyone use an email server that does not host in the US?

Thanks in advanced!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zomgcatsonfire
Apr 14, 2009
In an update, unusually Yahoo is now telling me I've tried to create an account too many times despite having never owned an account or tried to create one before this point.

zomgcatsonfire fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 26, 2018

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I use Runbox: https://runbox.com/
Hosted in Norway..
Not UK or Ireland based, but the site's English, the support's English, and it's hosted in a decent country.
Sure, it's not free, but at least that means support actually gives a drat!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

zomgcatsonfire posted:

The more I searched, the more I found that most well known Email servers are hosted in the US.

Why is that?

Probably a remnant of lots of the Internet backbone and infrastructure being created/developed in the US.

zomgcatsonfire
Apr 14, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

I use Runbox: https://runbox.com/
Hosted in Norway..
Not UK or Ireland based, but the site's English, the support's English, and it's hosted in a decent country.
Sure, it's not free, but at least that means support actually gives a drat!

Wahay this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Thank you!

Zogo posted:

Probably a remnant of lots of the Internet backbone and infrastructure being created/developed in the US.

Probably.

But to me it makes no sense to host outside of the country you are living in.

What rules apply to your data if you're classified as an alien, even as a technicality?

Unless the site specifically says my data is protected under the 14th amendment there's legal wriggle room (and I don't think the constitution applies to data, only people).

zomgcatsonfire fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 29, 2018

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie
I doubt using servers hosted in the UK will have any benefits that come close to outweighing the disadvantages. The UK has much higher than usual levels of monitoring of internet traffic than other countries. In say the US, sure the NSA may be monitoring your emails but if you are doing anything that might be of interest to them then email isn't what you want wherever it's hosted. In the UK the law is written in a way that the data can be used in any situation where you break the law. e.g. downloading some music or the local council wants to double check you council tax status and it's all fair game. (Well I think the courts recently tried to strike down the law for being illegal but you get the idea.) The UK is probably a worse than even the US and after brexit it's probably going to be the worse place in the world.

FSMC fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 29, 2018

zomgcatsonfire
Apr 14, 2009

FSMC posted:

I doubt using servers hosted in the UK will have any benefits that come close to outweighing the disadvantages. The UK has much higher than usual levels of monitoring of internet traffic than other countries. In say the US, sure the NSA may be monitoring your emails but if you are doing anything that might be of interest to them then email isn't what you want wherever it's hosted. In the UK the law is written in a way that the data can be used in any situation where you break the law. e.g. downloading some music or the local council wants to double check you council tax status and it's all fair game. (Well I think the courts recently tried to strike down the law for being illegal but you get the idea.) The UK is probably a worse than even the US and after brexit it's probably going to be the worse place in the world.

Oh right, that's a unique take on it. I'm still inclined to favour UK servers over US servers, as a UK citizen I have all the given rights of the land where as in the US, I'm not sure what rights apply. I think the Constitution only applies when on US soil or US territories, and to non US Citizens only in certain circumstances. I know corporations are considered 'people' in the US, so the constitution should apply to them if they are based in America but how does that affect Data in transit? Not everything is encrypted.

I don't know, it's probably down to personal preference over legal necessity. I'm not planning on intentionally breaking the law and I don't exactly own any assets that could make me a person of interest, but I do intend to pay taxes and retire in the UK, so why not host my data in the country I live and am a citizen of? If the government or council openly fudges up, there's no legal wriggle room. I'd rather MI5 easily have access to my data without a 3rd party involved in the event of something happening.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

zomgcatsonfire posted:

But to me it makes no sense to host outside of the country you are living in.

What rules apply to your data if you're classified as an alien, even as a technicality?

Unless the site specifically says my data is protected under the 14th amendment there's legal wriggle room (and I don't think the constitution applies to data, only people).

Yes, logically as the the Internet grows within different countries they should become more autonomous in different areas.

Legally speaking I don't believe non-US citizens have any privacy rights really. Practically speaking I don't believe US citizens really have them either. The technical apparatus is moving a lot faster than any lawmakers know. Things are being done that US citizens aren't close to privy to. It goes way, way beyond text e-mails.

Without even getting into legalese I'd have no expectation of sending an e-mail to someone else and hoping it remained private. No matter what country I was in, no matter where it was hosted, no matter the recipient.

There were a few companies that provided legitimate e-mail encryption. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavabit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
ProtonMail hosts all their servers in Switzerland. The thing where they claim their data center is literally in the middle of a mountain seems a bit excessive, but they certainly seem to take their customers' privacy seriously.

• Locked thread