Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
That's right friends, we're halfway to Halloween. You know what that means...

MAY HORROR MOVIE CHALLENGE

Why?

It's a CineD tradition to watch a bunch of horror movies in October. But us horror enthusiasts crave blood sooner than that, so we now do a mini-challenge in May to celebrate making it halfway to Halloween.

How do I play?

1. A) Pick a goal of how many movies you'd like to watch with any qualifiers you feel like (ex. "___ movies total, but ___ have to be new to me", etc.), or
B) Do an endurance test and see how many movies you can watch by the end of the month, or
C) Watch at least 13 movies. (For the October challenge, the main goal is to watch 31 horror movies. See what I did there?)

2. Watch movies

3. Write about the movies! You are posting on the best film discussion forum on the internet, so please discuss or share some insights on the movies you and others are watching. This is actually the hardest part of the challenge, especially if you watch a classic film that everyone has seen. Still, give it a try.

4. Don't be a dick.

Prizes?

Yes, there will be prizes. They will remain secret until the challenge is over. My advice: follow the rules, participate often, and experiment with the types of movies you watch.

When does the challenge officially begin?

Right now, bitches.

When does it officially end?

June 1st, 8AM (EST)

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:siren:FAQs:siren:

What movies qualify?

-Horror movies
-Thrillers
-Horror comedies
-Movies with a heavy emphasis on the supernatural (Sam Raimi's The Gift, for instance)
-Documentaries about horror movies or the horror genre
-Documentaries about horrific events (Cropsey) or the supernatural
-Movies that take place during/involving/about Halloween

To qualify as a movie, it needs a minimum run-time of 60 minutes. If a movie clocks in at 55 minutes or so, like an episode of Masters of Horror, it counts, but let's be reasonable here.

I'm going to watch a movie with a long run-time. Can I count it as multiple movies?

No, sorry. It's one movie. I know that there are some amazing documentaries like Never Sleep Again or Crystal Lake Memories that take a huge investment of time, but they are still a single narrative experience, and so (to be fair) can only count as one film. Inevitably, there may be one or two people that ignore this and count it as multiple movies, as if their decision trumps moderation. They are incorrect under this assumption, and it may affect their eligibility for certain prizes. (I don't do this to be a dick, it's just not fair to participants that play by the rules.)

VICTIMS

a foolish pianist: a minimum of 13 Hammer films

Alfred P. Pseudonym: Put me down for a 13 spot

Almost Blue: Gonna go for 13 movies.

Extra rules I’m placing on myself just for fun:
1. At least one unseen movie by Carpenter, Craven, Argento, and Romero.
2. At least one movie from three different long-running horror series.
3. At least two re-watches.
4. At least one Demons 3.

Basebf555: I'll probably watch like 40 movies again. In fact, maybe I'll take a serious run at watching the highest number in the thread.

BrendianaJones: endurance

Choco1980: I'll do my best to watch new to me films, as many as I can

DC Murderverse: Sign me up for 13 movies

drrockso20: I'm open for recommendations in general, would prefer movies with minimal or even no Jump Scares as I immensely dislike them

Dr.Caligari: minimum 13

Drunkboxer: Maybe I'll finally watch May this time.

El Graplurado: it'll be more than 13.

Franchescanado: Minimum of 13 movies; working from this list; will watch movies chosen by goons in this thread | (letterboxd)

FreudianSlippers: 13 movies.

fr0id: I’m in if I can get the “next poster tells you what to watch” rule. I’m open to a free-for-all of recs.

gey muckle mowser: I have a huge stack of unwatched horror blu-rays so my goal will be to work through 13 of those

Ghosthotel: I'm in for 13.

Hollismason: 13 horror movies I've never seen before ; Gonna be using this list

Irony.or.Death: way more than 13 and way less than I hope

Justin Godscock: I'm going with 13 new horror films that I've heard a lot about but never sat down to watch myself.

Leavemywife: 13 movies | For a gimmick, the person to post after me gets to pick my first movie. And then, whoever posts after my first review, picks the second, and so on. Keep them limited to Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime.

Lester Shy: put me down for at least 13

Lt_Tofu: Put me down for 20

MacheteZombie: :iiam:

Mahlertov Cocktail: 13 new movies!

married but discreet: 13 movies should be doable

Money Bags: Put me down for 13.

Neo Rasa: I'll be doing 13 movies this time (list)

Nroo: I'm in for 13

Ramadu: Put me down for at least 13

ScaryJen: Hell yeah, I'm in for 13.

Several Goblins: 13 movies

Sono: I'll go for endurance, but set 31 as the low bar.

STAC Goat: endurance

TheKingslayer: I'm down for 13. Probably more.

Tom Gorman: I'm going to try this 13 movie challenge

Trash Boat: 13+ movies (and disallowing any repeats from my October movie list).

very stable genius: Gonna try for 13.

Wilhelm Scream: my goal is to beat everyone else (except the writing part, expect that to always be half-assed)

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 7, 2018

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Time for this again? Guess who's going to do better than last year and actually watch 13 movies?

For a gimmick, the person to post after me gets to pick my first movie. And then, whoever posts after my first review, picks the second, and so on. Keep them limited to Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone actually use my lists of what horror movies are on all the major streaming services? I feel like they get forgotten as soon as we're on page 2. It's cool if not, it will save me a few hours of work.

Leavemywife posted:

Time for this again? Guess who's going to do better than last year and actually watch 13 movies?

For a gimmick, the person to post after me gets to pick my first movie. And then, whoever posts after my first review, picks the second, and so on. Keep them limited to Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime.

You get to watch The Church on Amazon Prime.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 26, 2018

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In for 13 movies.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

I'm in for 13 movies. Funny timing, I've been on a horror kick the past few days for the first time since October.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I'm in for a minimum of 13 Hammer films.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm down for 13. Probably more.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Franchescanado posted:

Does anyone actually use my lists of what horror movies are on all the major streaming services? I feel like they get forgotten as soon as we're on page 2. It's cool if not, it will save me a few hours of work.

You get to watch The Church on Amazon Prime.

I'd be interested at least as I'm in for the challenge

Also I'm open for recommendations in general, would prefer movies with minimal or even no Jump Scares as I immensely dislike them

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've been meaning to finally watch Motel Hell, so might as well take the challenge and catch up with some other movies I'm been procrastinating on.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Dear everyone on this page asking for a recommendation: please watch Blood Diner. It's on Prime and it's super trashy and fun.

Also I'm gonna watch a bunch of movies. I don't know how many, but it's gonna be way more than 13 and way less than I hope because just like last year I'm traveling in the middle of May. Once again, thanks for running things, Fran!

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
In for 13 new movies! You posted this after I watched it but that was only last night and I wanna set an insanely high bar for the other movies to live up to so:

1. NEAR DARK - this movie loving rules. Great score by Tangerine Dream, notable as the first thing to mention because it sets the tone insanely well from the very first shot. Absolutely incredible cast that is partly an Aliens reunion party, including the inimitable Bill Paxton (RIP) owning every scene he's in as an unhinged biker-gunslinger-kinda-dude, Lance Henriksen as the quietly cruel vamp-dad, and Jenette Goldstein as the matriarch. The two leads are really good too, selling their respective babyfaced farmboy and dreamy seductive vampire archetypes effectively. Great cinematography and lighting (a lot of the movie is set at night with nice atmospheric lighting indoors and out, and the sun-baked daytime scenes really nail the contrast to the night), fantastic costuming with neat little details for every character, great writing, just a fuckin' good-rear end movie all around.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

1. Society (1989) 4/5

This was a wild ride and it ruled. Though it's 95% build-up, the payoff is something that had me saying, "Holy poo poo!" out loud to myself while alone in my apartment. A Beverly Hills teens begins to suspect something is deeply wrong with his family and their high-society (heh) secret society (double heh) and begins to investigate while seemingly losing his grip on reality. This seems like an extremely vague description but the majority of the plot centers around "odd stuff happening" until taking a sharp turn into some of the most effective, unsettling body horror this side of Cronenberg. The film is a slow creep up to the top of the rollercoaster and a drop to the credits. Likewise, I think I threw my arms in the air and started screaming at some point. Ordinarily this plot would leave me with dozens of questions that I'd like answered, and I think it still does, but the climax of the film quickly shoved all those questions from my mind and replaced them with a slacked-jaw, wide eyes and a grin that was a mixture of disbelief and entertainment.

I also can't stop laughing at this review from Letterboxd. (Spoilers)
What Jaws did for swimming in the ocean, Society did for attending underground incest orgies.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I'm in but won't be able to start for a week or so. Maybe I'll finally watch May this time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'll probably watch like 40 movies again. In fact, maybe I'll take a serious run at watching the highest number in the thread. October is too tough, we had people watching 60 or 70 movies and I just couldn't compete with that.

The hardest part is deciding what to start with. I'm thinking Vincent Price. My plan is to go with themed runs of all new-to-me films, with just one rewatch within each theme.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to keep it random by letting most of my movies be picked by everyone in here.

Fran's Horror Movie List

Who will draw first blood?

(Fyi, I've seen Silence of the Lambs and 28 Days Later, I'm just due for a rewatch)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I'm going to keep it random by letting most of my movies be picked by everyone in here.

Fran's Horror Movie List

(Fyi, I've seen Silence of the Lambs and 28 Days Later, I'm just due for a rewatch)

Watch As Above, So Below. You will be pleasantly surprised at how good it is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I feel like we should determine the penalty film now so we all know what we're in for if we fail to meet our goals.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Watch As Above, So Below. You will be pleasantly surprised at how good it is.

Thanks bud!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I feel like we should determine the penalty film now so we all know what we're in for if we fail to meet our goals.

I like this. Maybe 3 On A Meathook or something.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

In and my goal is to beat everyone else (except the writing part, expect that to always be half-assed).

1. The House on Sorority Row-1983: 7/10 (rewatch)

What is pretty much a knock-off of Black Christmas and April Fool's Day turns out to be not all that bad. Characters you don't completely hate, surprisingly good performances and some alright gore (including a very memorable head in toilet scene).

Not to mention great lighting in some scenes and a score that doesn't suck, while I didn't love it, this is one I can completely understand people really digging.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea The House on Sorority Row seems to get lumped in with all the others that jumped on the slasher bandwagon in the early 80s but it's really a cut above most of them. Not for any one specific reason, it's just more competently made in a lot of areas than the average 80s slasher.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

I'm in for 13. Hopefully I'll stick with it this time.

Franchescanado posted:

Fran's Horror Movie List

I'm staying on brand and recommending Messiah of Evil. Track it down in Blu-ray quality if you can.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

I'm in for 13.

I've never seen Castle Freak so I think that's gonna be up first on the list.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Raven

People who were in on the Scream Stream of Tales of Terror this past October will of course remember the amazing wine tasting showdown between Price and Lorre. Well, this is another chance to watch them play off each other, and for an entire feature length film!

The Raven truly is a comedy, there's very little attempt to actually scare but it's still extremely entertaining. Karloff comes in at about the halfway point and adds some gravitas to contrast Lorre's ridiculousness, which is perfect. Corman directs, and the costume/set design here is one of the best of his Poe films, right up there with Masque of the Red Death. I love technicolor. As a throw in, there's a very early role for Jack Nicholson that's fun to check out.

And if you're at all a Price fan, this should be all you need to see to convince you to watch The Raven:

Completed: 1. The Raven

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Franchescanado posted:

I like this. Maybe 3 On A Meathook or something.

I was thinking Mystics in Bali.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
A string of murders commence immediately.

Targeting at minimum 13, all first time watches

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 29, 2018

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Yeah I'm in, 13 movies should be doable.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

2. Cabin Fever (2016 Remake) 1.5/5

I want to start by saying this isn't a good movie. At it's very best, it's unnecessary - being a remake of a movie from 14 years prior with the same script and less campiness. I didn't particularly like the original Cabin Fever, but I wanted to see what was up with this one. Well, it's certainly more of the same. Beat for beat, shot for shot it's basically the same thing without any new or interesting takes. The acting and dialogue is pretty shoddy and our characters are fairly unlikeable. However, I will give the movie credit for one thing - Gage Golightly and Nadine Crocker. Their acting wasn't exactly top notch, but they gave a performance of sickeningly realistic terror and agony, to the point that it felt uncomfortable and the only emotion I felt throughout the latter half of the movie was pity. That's not something I generally get from a horror movie, so it succeeded in making me feel awful for these people going through such a nightmarish situation and being horrified at how visceral the infection is when it manifests on the characters. Nobody gets a quick end in this movie, only drawn-out and gruesome suffering.

It's not a good movie by any means. I can't say I enjoyed it. But I did find myself feeling sorry for the characters, particularly the female leads, as the male characters mostly just make every situation in the film worse. So, uh, that's something, I guess.

Bonus Mini-Movie: Roger Corman Presents: Splatter 0.5/5

I saw this half hour...thing...on Netflix and decided to check it out due to the attachment of Roger Corman, Joe Dante, Corey Feldman and Tony Todd. Apparently it was a web series with a gimmick that fans would vote on who died next between each installment. The end result was compiled into a short feature and this was the result. Musician Jonny Splatter commits suicide and posthumously invites five people from various roles in his entourage to a wake, where a video tells them that they are in his will and they will "get what they deserve." It's kind of a fun idea, I guess, but it's just eye-rollingly lame throughout. Corey Feldman hams it up as an overacting zombie and Tony Todd just stands there for 90% of the feature. Roger Corman produced and Joe Dante directed, but there really isn't any way to tell that. Neither of the film-makers typical hallmarks are present. Instead it feels exactly like what it is. Very, very much like a low-budget webseries that happens to have semi-notable actors. Maybe watch it due to it's brevity and for how curious it is that it even exists.

Edit: Next poster should pick my next film. TerrorVision, Blood Diner, or Motel Hell.

Several Goblins fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 28, 2018

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Motel Hell!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Seconded

The Last Man on Earth

The funny thing about this story is that I think the best version of it I've seen is the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror segment. This one is pretty good, definitely an upgrade from the other two films just because it's Vincent Price, but still I thought it dragged a bit. The movie is only about 85 minutes long but that still feels like 15 minutes too much.

Part of it might be that the last movie I watched was The Raven, which was just a hell of a lot more fun. This one has some pretty disturbing imagery though, and it's mostly well shot.

Price fans should still check it out but expect something a little more subdued and even at times depressing.

Completed: 1. The Raven 2. The Last Man on Earth

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Put me down for 20. I have alot of gaps to fill and some classics to rewatch. First up will be Silence of the Lambs, somehow I have never watched all the way through this film.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

1. Welcome To Willits

Wow this movie was nuts. Not exactly what I was expecting and hit really close to an incident from my childhood.

The summaries you find online seem to be a bit of a fake out as to what the plot really is, a guy running a grow operation and dealing meth on the side thinks he's been abducted by aliens in the past and the aliens have come back to plague him again. Turns out though that he's just seeing things and these "aliens" are kids out on a camping trip that he starts to brutally hunt. Where that intersects with an incident from my childhood is my father took a bad combo of drugs and himself hunted creatures he couldn't describe through the woods near our home until eventually the police got involved, so this was kind of a surreal watch.

There is a fair amount of gore, suspense and pretty decent performances to be had here. Rory Culkin in particular was my favorite, playing a burnout hitchhiker that joins the campers. I have to also give props to Bill Sage for playing the drug addled alien abductee, he was really great. There is also a fun cameo from Dolph Lundgren in a cop show that exists in the film's universe. The campers caught up in everything are mostly forgettable.

This was a lot more graphic than I had anticipated and some of the violence and effects seriously made my skin crawl to see. There are a few moments that even feel downright mean. There are also a few scenes that take place on an alien ship and show the aliens themselves. The aliens look really cool for being made on a budget.

This is a pretty solid recommend for me. It's maybe a hair long but very competent. Plus, it's on Netflix right now.

Sorry for my kind of disjointed review. I'm trying to split my attention between this and work.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

No school (after finals in like a week)? Alright time for writing some bullshit about things that really matter. Sign me up for 13 movies.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

2. The Presence

I'm a super duper whore for found footage. But this was so drat boring. Not even going to bother finding a poster or anything. I think it's supposed to be a German take on Paranormal Activity? At least that's what it feels like. I'm gonna call this one a no go.

EDIT: Good lord, I was about to watch Silent Hill, but not with it being two hours.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 28, 2018

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice
Hell yeah, I'm in for 13.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I got a new TV for my birthday so I am going to gently caress up some horror movies tomorrow. Did someone say Night of the Living Dead criterion???

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Gonna go for 13 movies. 

Extra rules I’m placing on myself just for fun:

1. At least one unseen movie by Carpenter, Craven, Argento, and Romero.
2. At least one movie from three different long-running horror series.
3. At least two re-watches.
4. At least one Demons 3.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
1.Dead and Buried

A seemingly cliche story that's far more eerie and well-shot than it has any right to be. Shades of The Fog and Halloween, and a final 10 minutes that are genuinely creepy.

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Oh neat, had been feeling in the mood for another horror movie challenge as of late. This month'll be busier for me than October was, but hopefully I should be able to make it in for at least the base 13+ movies (and disallowing any repeats from my October movie list).

And coincidentally just watched my first qualifier for the thread last night when I went to see A Quiet Place. Unsurprisingly, the film's greatest asset is it's use of near silence to create tension (which of course meant that it was the one loving movie where the group sitting next to us had their phone go off not once, but twice :argh:), to the extent that I almost wish they had gone just a bit further in dialing back the musical score in a select handful of scenes. That aside, the pacing and mood was was spot-on, with special mention going to the nail scene. The family dynamic was particularly well-realized too, with the almost universal use of sign language for communication being handled quite well.

Movies watched (1): A Quiet Place

• Locked thread