Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
I'm a dumbass and I got some kind of virus/malware on my personal Windows 10 laptop after download a torrent that won't let me run any anti-virus/malware software. So, I tried booting to safe mode and it appears that whatever the program is won't let me boot into safe mode. I don't have a disk drive, so I tried to boot from usb and it appears that the malware is preventing THAT too.

I've been looking around all sorts of forums for like 3 hours now and I just keep going in circles- I keep seeing the solution to being unable to boot in safe mode being a bootable drive. When I look up what to do for the solution of not being able to use a bootable drive, the solution is to restart in safe mode.

I can't access system restore or anything- it all appears to be blocked by whatever the program is. Does anyone know a trick to get around this? If it's blocking all the scanning software, I'd imagine that if I can get the scanning software to run, it'll probably get rid of this.

It appears to be something called "Neptune" and/or "Mantis" if that helps. I looked up Neptune and it mentioned a ransomware program, but aside from being annoying as poo poo and playing audio files every now and then, it hasn't held any of my files hostage. Can anyone offer any help? I'm totally comfortable with following instructions to manually run commands or run whatever I need to so that I can get rid of this- I just can't seem to find what the hell to use.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

UPDATE: After 4 hours of trial and error, I was able to get this working using an anti-rootkit tool that it somehow didn't prevent from launching and then running a standard malware scan. It kept coming back and that was when I realized it had also overwritten my chrome.exe file to launch Chrome along with a copy of the malware itself, which is why it seemed like it kept coming back. Uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome and it seems to be gone for good now after a couple scans to check just in case. So, I guess I'm good now!

m0therfux0r fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrridinos
Jan 7, 2010
Glad to hear that you got outta that mess. Some viruses can be tricky and downright nasty. Wouldn't hurt to run a scan using a second opinion scanner such as Malwarebytes or Emsisoft Antimalware if you haven't already just to be on the safe side.

• Locked thread