Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

SpellingError posted:

It's been years since I played and I still have a modest collection of models from the first edition. If I wanted to get back into X-Wing with the second edition and bought the Core Set and the Battle of Yavin Expansion, would I be able to use my old first-edition-models with the cards and templates that come in the BoY-Expansion? Or would I have to get the conversion sets for Rebels and Empire? I never played competitively, just casually with friends and family and am planning to keep it that way.

Sorry, this question has probably already been answered, but at more than 200 pages I just can't find the time to skip through the whole thread...

It doesn't look like it comes with dials for all the yavin stuff but the cards and bases will be fine. The dials are slightly different from 1st edition, though for casual playing you could probably just look up the differences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpellingError
May 7, 2014

ro5s posted:

It doesn't look like it comes with dials for all the yavin stuff but the cards and bases will be fine. The dials are slightly different from 1st edition, though for casual playing you could probably just look up the differences.

Thanks for the quick answer. A bit of googling tells me that the basic TIE-Fighter dials have not changed at all. The old edition's Y-Wings are very similar to the current ones and I can get away with using the old T-70 X-Wing dials for the second edition T-65. I might just get a new core box and see what old stuff I can mix in...

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Is there already a reprint of that FO expansion that contains the pointy TIE interceptor, with corrected base plates?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Does anyone still play this game?

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

banned from Starbucks posted:

Does anyone still play this game?

Gold Squadron Podcast still exists... so I guess... yes.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

My wife and I still play with our local group. We had a 30 person tournament last month and are starting our league again

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

There's still a tournament scene in :scotland: I attend though it's smaller than pre covid.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
Hey goons, I'm looking to get into X-Wing more seriously. I had a brief flirtation with it back in 2016 playing with a friend, but was skint broke at the time and could not afford the sweet, sweet plastic. But then I played with another friend at a boardgame night and the bug has bit me, and now I have money. I've been trawling eBay and the like looking for used lots, but was wondering if there are other resources for picking up ships on the cheap. I'm most interested in the Empire and Republic factions, as I tend to like wargame armies that emphasise speed, finesse, cleverness, and fall apart if you make too many mistakes (I used to play Eldar a lot in 40k.) What are the best ships to look for in those factions/which ones should I avoid?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bunnyofdoom posted:

My wife and I still play with our local group. We had a 30 person tournament last month and are starting our league again

Yeah, we have well attended tournaments here every other month or so. For Armada, too.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Slightly Lions posted:

Hey goons, I'm looking to get into X-Wing more seriously. I had a brief flirtation with it back in 2016 playing with a friend, but was skint broke at the time and could not afford the sweet, sweet plastic. But then I played with another friend at a boardgame night and the bug has bit me, and now I have money. I've been trawling eBay and the like looking for used lots, but was wondering if there are other resources for picking up ships on the cheap. I'm most interested in the Empire and Republic factions, as I tend to like wargame armies that emphasise speed, finesse, cleverness, and fall apart if you make too many mistakes (I used to play Eldar a lot in 40k.) What are the best ships to look for in those factions/which ones should I avoid?

For empire, classic tie fighters are fun, and Vader in the advanced is great, especially the new battle of yavin pack.

For republic, all the ships are great but for your style as you described, I would get both jedi ships (delta 7 and eta) and vwings

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
TIE Interceptors are, for my money, the most fun ships in the game. Get two at least.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Tevery Best posted:

TIE Interceptors are, for my money, the most fun ships in the game. Get two at least.

Run 5. Win or lose, it’s the most :black101: squadron you can possibly bring. Win or lose, it’s going to happen fast :getin:

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Tevery Best posted:

Hate to necro, but I will miss Super Scoots until the day I die.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Well then thread since the latest wave anyone run new Dash yet?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Is there a new online squad builder?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

Official no.

Yasb still is regularly updated tho

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Some Numbers posted:

Yet Another Squad Builder and Launch Bay Next are both still going strong. They've been the default since the launch of second edition. There's never been an official app worth a drat, and there's not an official app AT ALL now.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

Well then thread since the latest wave anyone run new Dash yet?

A few times. He's....eh. They took away what made him fun and he's a worse Falcon now. Tournament wise he's nowhere to be found. Not just at the bottom of the standings but like literally noone is playing him.
Resistance Falcon Poe feels much more like old Dash than actual new Dash.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Played my first 2 games of x-wing in like 9 months tonight. Felt good to be back on the table, even if I was bumping all over the place, out of position, and generally fumbling around with my TIEs as they failed to land shots or evade anything :unsmith:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Icon Of Sin posted:

Played my first 2 games of x-wing in like 9 months tonight. Felt good to be back on the table, even if I was bumping all over the place, out of position, and generally fumbling around with my TIEs as they failed to land shots or evade anything :unsmith:

What is a TIE fighter but a miserable pile of misses?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CainFortea posted:

What is a TIE fighter but a miserable pile of misses?

A rapidly expanding fireball, apparently :laffo:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Got more games today! :unsmith:

Bringing back the TIE/FO list I used to terrorize my old local store with, but swapping in 2 TIE/SFs instead of the 6-TIE swarm I used to run.

Omega Squadron

(3) “Midnight” [TIE/fo Fighter]
(3) Predator

(3) “Static” [TIE/fo Fighter]
(3) Predator

(3) Omega Squadron Ace [TIE/fo Fighter]
(3) Predator

(3) Omega Squadron Ace [TIE/fo Fighter]
(3) Predator

(4) Omega Squadron Expert [TIE/sf Fighter]
(0) Special Forces Gunner
(2) Fire-Control System

(4) Omega Squadron Expert [TIE/sf Fighter]
(0) Special Forces Gunner
(2) Fire-Control System

Total points: 20

Idk what’s good, what’s not, or even what’s come out since I last played. Easing back into the game with old lists that have minor tweaks, and it feels good to be back.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Generics are almost universally dead across the game. FO are in a good spot though since they have a ton of very good pilots that cost the same as the generics but also come with a lot of value in both abilities and Initiative level.

DT-798
Commander Malarus
Scorch
Lieutenant Galek
are all excellent pilots.

For SF you have LeHuse and Backdraft which fill the 4point slot really well. Quickdraw can also work in the 5point slot.

I'd def pick up Hotshots and Aces 2 pack if you don't have it and the Tie whisper/bomber pack.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

Generics are almost universally dead across the game. FO are in a good spot though since they have a ton of very good pilots that cost the same as the generics but also come with a lot of value in both abilities and Initiative level.

I was kind of figuring that, just based on how many load out points named pilots get vs generics. It’s also a little easier when most of my ships are the same and I'm not trying (yet) to remember multiple pilot abilities. ill get back up to it sooner or later, though. One of my best lists in 1e was Omega Leader/Ace and Zeta Leader/Ace, so its not like i haven't run lists like that before…just not any time recently.

That same list + Malarus and Quickdraw runs right at 20 points now, though 🤔

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Am I crazy, or is the BoY quick build Luke the best of all possible Luke? Like putting aside that he's 5 points to everyone else's 6, he has the same ability, plus also attack speed.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Am I crazy, or is the BoY quick build Luke the best of all possible Luke? Like putting aside that he's 5 points to everyone else's 6, he has the same ability, plus also attack speed.

TBH I don't like attack speed over the S-foil proper boost but generally yes, a bunch of the standardised loadouts are cheaper, better and get more stuff than the customisable ones.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So Battle of Endor is dropping end of February they annouced. They also fired all the playtesters because welp, some of them leaked way too much, way too blatantly, and the Mouse's lawyers got involved.

Also, tomorrow I am going to my first tournament in like a year. Here's what I am running,
“Wolffe” (SoC) — ARC-170 Starfighter 4
Wolfpack 0
Veteran Tail Gunner 0
Q7 Astromech 0
Ship Cost: 4
Loadout: (0) Half Points: 2 Damage Threshold: 4

“Odd Ball” (SoC) — ARC-170 Starfighter 4
Selfless 0
Veteran Tail Gunner 0
R4-P Astromech 0
Loadout: (0) Half Points: 2 Damage Threshold: 5

Obi-Wan Kenobi (SoC) — Eta-2 Actis 4
Patience 0
Ancillary Ion Weapons 0
R4-P17 0
Loadout: (0) Half Points: 2 Damage Threshold: 1

Anakin Skywalker (SoC) — Eta-2 Actis 4
Malice 0
Ancillary Ion Weapons 0
R2-D2 (Republic) 0
Loadout: (0) Half Points: 2 Damage Threshold: 1

“Jag” (SoC) — ARC-170 Starfighter 4
Veteran Tail Gunner 0
R4-P Astromech 0
Synchronized Console 0

and here's my wife's list

“Dutch” Vander (SSP) — BTL-A4 Y-wing 4
Ion Cannon Turret 0
Proton Bombs 0

Luke Skywalker (BoY) — T-65 X-wing 5
Instinctive Aim 0
Attack Speed 0
Proton Torpedoes 0
R2-D2 0
Ship Cost: 5
Loadout: (0) Half Points: 2 Damage Threshold: 3

Dash Rendar (YLF-SL) — YT-2400 Light Freighter 7
Mercenary 0
Seeker Missiles 0
“Leebo” 0
Outrider 0
Ship Cost: 7
Loadout: (0) Half Points: 3 Damage Threshold: 5

Shara Bey (SSP) — RZ-1 A-wing 4
Hopeful 0
Concussion Missiles 0
Loadout: (0) Half Points: 2 Damage Threshold: 2

Fully expecting to walk away 0-4

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Update. Went 2-2, came in 8th outta 20. Would gotten higher but my opponent in my first win played super slow, we only got 5 rounds in, and when time was called I had Whisper, Tomax Bren, Sai, and a Black Squadron on 1 health, almost all my ships full, and all of them in arc. Oh well.

Deadmeat
Jul 18, 2006
Got to play in a 8-player casual event this weekend.
First time I've been able to push plastic spaceships around for a couple of years.

Brought a bad list, had fun, finished 4th.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Hi, I just bought this as I always wanted to try it but I guess I accidentally bought the first edition core set.

Am I hosed? I already opened it and popped the tokens out. Are these completely unusable now if I were to ever “expand”?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

dialhforhero posted:

Hi, I just bought this as I always wanted to try it but I guess I accidentally bought the first edition core set.

Am I hosed? I already opened it and popped the tokens out. Are these completely unusable now if I were to ever “expand”?

Most of those tokens are still usable, I think. The focus and evade tokens are still in use as they’re found in that box, at least. Shield tokens should still be ok too, although the new ones have a red backside to show they’re used/gone. The target lock tokens have changed from what’s there, and it’s been a long while since I looked at a 1e box but that should cover most of it, I think?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

dialhforhero posted:

"hosed" is probably too strong of a term, but that is sub-optimal.

You could buy the proper edition and the models are still good between the two, though the maneuver dials aren't the same between the two editions for all ships.

There are conversion kits that come with basically everything but the model, but I don't think there are any that are just the starter set.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

dialhforhero posted:

They're not ideal, the bases for 2nd edition have marks on the midpoints that are important and the initiative changed from 1-9 to 1-6 so a bunch of those values will be wrong. There are new maneuvers on the 2nd edition dials too, compared to the 1st edition ones. With that said, there's a lot of confusion online between starter sets - there was a 1st edition one that's outdated, the 2nd edition one that's still usable and then new faction specific ones for 2.5. The 1st and 2nd edition ones both came with 1 wing and 2 TIEs, just different card.

What are the orange numbers on the base/card for Luke? If it's 8 then you've got an old 1st edition one with outdated card, if it's 5 then it's all usable.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

ro5s posted:

They're not ideal, the bases for 2nd edition have marks on the midpoints that are important and the initiative changed from 1-9 to 1-6 so a bunch of those values will be wrong. There are new maneuvers on the 2nd edition dials too, compared to the 1st edition ones. With that said, there's a lot of confusion online between starter sets - there was a 1st edition one that's outdated, the 2nd edition one that's still usable and then new faction specific ones for 2.5. The 1st and 2nd edition ones both came with 1 wing and 2 TIEs, just different card.

What are the orange numbers on the base/card for Luke? If it's 8 then you've got an old 1st edition one with outdated card, if it's 5 then it's all usable.

Lol, no Luke. Poe "I'll phone it in by the second movie" DAMERON!

My eye and curiosity got caught on the box after opening it all up when it said "See the NEW Star Wars: The Force Awakens!"

https://a.co/d/43MMWVS

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 12, 2024

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Oh oops, I forgot that there was a resistance/first order starter for 1st edition. Yeah, the bases/cards/dials from that one don't really work with second edition. There are conversion kits for the factions that have all the 2nd edition cardboard/components but that's pretty overkill to buy 2 for 3 ships unless you see them dirt cheap somewhere. You could try asking around your local scene's players if any have spare dials from conversion kits they can give you. Then buying another T70 and TIE/fo would give your the cards and bases - you'd be a little short on stuff for generic pilots but that's not a problem in 2.5.

e: Actually from double checking them online the 1st edition dials for the T70 and TIE/fo convert much better to the 2nd edition versions. You wouldn't really need the newer dials, just getting the extra ships should give you mostly what you need.

ro5s fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 12, 2024

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Yup, that's first edition. Honestly right now your best bet is to get a few games in with the Rules As Written for what you have and see if you enjoy it enough to put more time/money in. If you do, you have two routes:

Continue to buy 1st edition ships: These are all out of print, and any new ships will be 2nd Ed only. You will probably be able to find some solid secondhand deals on 1E stuff, but you'll be forever contained to your own kitchen table and friends, any official events and 99% of established X-Wing players will be playing 2E.

Write this off as a loss and start over with one of the 2E starter kits: The path to take if you want to play anywhere other than at home. There are faction conversion kits but they are out of print and totally not worth it to convert 3 ships, it would literally be cheaper to rebuy them as singles. You might get lucky and find someone who had bought them previously and has extras for the T-70 and FO Ties they don't need, but other than that those ships will probably just be display pieces.

I HIGHLY suggest going 2E if you're going to get invested. Far wider range of ships available and several rules changes that are great.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Yeah it looks badass.

How does Armada compare? The large fleet battles really intrigues me too, but I read that X-wing is better for casual and quick play.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Yeah Armada is def more cerebral and planning ahead for like 3 turns. It's a lot harder for a kitchen table game I find.

My advice if you are doing 1.0 games, ban the twin laser turret and harpoon missile cards. They were two cards that really made the game unfun at the end of the life cycle

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

dialhforhero posted:

Yeah it looks badass.

How does Armada compare? The large fleet battles really intrigues me too, but I read that X-wing is better for casual and quick play.

I loved Armada but man, is it an absolute slog for a game capped at six turns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Armada is my favorite game where I set it up, make three decisions, and two hours later my opponent tells me if I won or not (I've known for 90 minutes but couldn't change the glacial course of history)