Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Some of you might remember when last year a huge tower block in London burned causing the deaths of 72 people.

Allegations of corruption, malignance and lack of fire safety have been constantly swirling around this storm and finally an inquiry is being made over the next few months.

In case anyone was still interested in this, here's the official inquiry's site for rolling updates of the trial.

For those who aren't aware of the facts, here's what we know for certain:

----------------------

- June 14th, 2017, emergency services received a call that Grenfell Tower had a fire somewhere around the fourth floor at 12:54am, when a neighbour's fridge combusted. Firefighters arrived at 1:00am approximately.

- Within 30 minutes, the fire had consumed 19 floors all the way to the top, whilst firefighters were hampered by lack of proper equipment to deal with high-rise fires.

- 24 hours later the fire was finally under control, but it would take 60 hours in full to completely extinguish the fire. 71 people died in the initial blaze, but the death toll reached 72 when a hospitalised patient passed away in January 2018.

- Investigations began into the building had been given an £8.6million refurbishment in May 2016 including the addition of new fireproof cladding. The cladding has since been proven to be exceptionally poor in quality, and even contributed to the speed of the fire's spread. It was also discovered there were no sprinklers in this building, and that fire safety doors said to withstand flames for up to half an hour, melted after 15 minutes.

- The Kensington and Chelsea council who manage the area of Grenfell were accosted by a protesting group of locals and sympathisers with further allegations of corruption, as well as the fact local residents had previously warned them of the unfit standards of places such as Grenfell the many months before the fire.

- Despite promises from the government that the 209 surviving families of Grenfell would be rehoused within 3 weeks of the fire, 71% of them are still yet to be allocated a new home, almost a year later.

So yeah, if anyone still cares about this, here, wasn't sure where to put this anyway.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

the towers insulation never passed a fire test.

eat the rich

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

No you see, since the fire insulation led to the incineration of 72 people, the market will respond accordingly and wise and knowing rational actors will not buy the insulation again thus ensuring that better insulation will be available.

The system works!!!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
im glad it took a year to start the inquiry giving everyone involved plenty of time to destroy evidence and for any witnesses to have their memories totally hosed

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Despite promises from the government that the 209 surviving families of Grenfell would be rehoused within 3 weeks of the fire, 71% of them are still yet to be allocated a new home, almost a year later.

lol jfc

kill the tories too idk how people vote for them at this point

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
While on the one hand all British people deserve death, on the other hand they should do it at the hands of a guillotine.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

sweet racism bro

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
Fifteen minutes falls within the up to thirty minutes window. Working as intended.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Didn't the flammable insulation cost like 3 pounds/lb and the proper one would've been like 5 pounds/lb and that directly led to this towering inferno?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
They just stuffed the walls with inflammable insulation, the real culprit is English language.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018

EorayMel posted:

Didn't the flammable insulation cost like 3 pounds/lb and the proper one would've been like 5 pounds/lb and that directly led to this towering inferno?

I believe that the total cost would have gone up by five thousand pounds for installation of the proper cladding.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

elmer chud posted:

I believe that the total cost would have gone up by five thousand pounds for installation of the proper cladding.

Yeah there was something like that, cheaping out on 5 thousand GBPs when the whole building already cost millions.

And well, the rest is history I guess.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if that was my family I'd be murdering people

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

There are British people of most any race.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

There are British people of most any race.

The tower was a real melting pot.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Moridin920 posted:

idk how people vote for them at this point

the vast unstoppable voting bloc of pearl clutching olds will always vote Conservative. ~38% of the voting public is the absolute floor. the government even said 'lol we gonna gut your pensions and remove social safety nets for the retired' and it still didn't drop below 38%.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Moridin920 posted:

lol jfc

austerity is so bad that kids are regularly getting rickets from malnutrition but they're not in tory voting areas so olds still vote tory

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Jose posted:

austerity is so bad that kids are regularly getting rickets from malnutrition but they're not in tory voting areas so olds still vote tory
In the space of David Cameron's leadership as prime minister, the number of food banks went up from like 70 to loving 400 in a few years right?

Meanwhile Google and Amazon don't have to pay tax in the UK cuz lmao why the gently caress do we have to despite owning all this business

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

im glad it took a year to start the inquiry giving everyone involved plenty of time to destroy evidence and for any witnesses to have their memories totally hosed

Me too :devil:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

They used jet fuel for insulation and it did melt steel beams.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
firefighters there within 6 minutes but

quote:

Within 30 minutes, the fire had consumed 19 floors
daaaaaaamn... was this thing contructed from oily rags or what

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

elmer chud posted:

The tower was a real melting pot.

lol gently caress

Anyway, I sincerely hope anyone who is complicit in this and the subsequent complete lack of action gets volunteered to be the next ebola corpse cleanup crew.
No gloves.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
sir you have to pay me royalties if you want to link my greatest hits threads

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

gary oldmans diary posted:

daaaaaaamn... was this thing contructed from oily rags or what

excuse me, those rags passed the very stringent safety standards required by the british building industry and as for the oil,

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Obligatory: https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-06-16/beware-of-blaming-government-for-london-tower-fire

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Hammerite posted:

excuse me, those rags passed the very stringent safety standards required by the british building industry and as for the oil,

i regret that following this post, it has come to light that although a sample of oil-soaked rags did pass the tests, the rags used in the apartment block were a different model of napalm-soaked hellcloth. it would be inappropriate to comment further on this as there is an ongoing public inquiry into the murder tower.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
pointless to regulate now. the damage has already been done :sweep:

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Jose posted:

That wasn’t really true, and it was a Tory mp in his own constituency.

Where they voted Tory.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

islamic countries have kinda low building regs so hopefully this will be a wakeup call

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
I’m all for killing the rich and the dictatorship of the workingclass, but you’ve got to be honest about why you are doing it.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
disgusting. when are americans gonna regime change this corrupt oligarchy

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Fat Jesus posted:

islamic countries have kinda low building regs so hopefully this will be a wakeup call

The building regs Islamic countries would have to have to keep their inhabitants safe would be unaffordable while the United State Airforce still carry on doing their thing.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Moridin920 posted:

lol jfc

Sadly the alternative is that cretin Corbyn.

Was it the conservatives party who specced the untested insulation? Whoever signed that off should be up for manslaughter, not the entire government.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

monkeytennis posted:

Sadly the alternative is that cretin Corbyn.

Was it the conservatives party who specced the untested insulation? Whoever signed that off should be up for manslaughter, not the entire government.

Not the Tory council who were complicit in it?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I speak for everyone at Scorched Sky Construction Ltd. when I say that our thoughts are with the victims of Grenfell Towers and the £69.44 each of their lives bought us, on average, before tax

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
Grenfell went up because it was completely shrouded in Aluminium Composite Panels. Basically ACP is is two panels of aluminium sheeting sandwiching a core of polyethylene, it's massively flammable and 1kg of poly gives off the same amount of energy as 1kg of gasoline.

ACP has very little to do with insulation. Grenfell was clad in ACP because it was an ugly council tower block in Kensington, one of the richest suburbs in London and the council wanted to make it look "pretty".

My company did an audit of 170 high rise buildings in Victoria alone and found 51% to have this poo poo illegally installed. Now we're ordering the builders to go back in and tear down the walls on half the high rises in Melbourne.

BTW If you live in Melbourne, better hope you don't get sent to the Epworth hospital. One loose cigarette butt and that whole building is a loving funeral pyre.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
lets start by throwing the royals off the top of the tower

from there we can figure everything else out IMHO

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
just a co-incidence that grenfell tower is a couple of blocks away from Kensington palace i'm sure

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
also lol in dubai they've got a building wrapped in ACP that's caught fire three times already called "The Torch"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

The rich don't care. In fact they would love for the poor to be exterminated like they were here.

• Locked thread