Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
as part of my Film (lol) Major i must take two Language Courses (one Entry Level, one Intermediate). I figured i may as well learn a Language I'm genuinely interested in which is Japanese. The problem with this is the stigma of a non-Japanese person learning the Language being some fatass Neckbeard who summed up the entirety of a Culture with some Cartoons

and then i got to thinking: In the year 2018, when there really isn't such as thing as "Nerd Culture" (tell me what's the most popular film today again?), dont you guys think dunking on "Weaboos" is kinda old and Try-hard at this point? like we ALL remember that Anime Sucks Thread from year back (i just remember lurking and really wanting that one dipshit with the Obama smoking avatar to shut the gently caress up about Calvin and Hobbies being ruined by Anime Fanart, does that piece of poo poo still post here btw?:v:)

I'd like to think I have enough common sense to distinguish a country's cultural output from the actual culture (especially one as Niche as Anime). I'm well aware of the fact that I would never set foot in the actual Country because of all the horror stories I've heard of it being deeply Anti-Immigrant

what do you guys think? am i being too insecure and should just peruse through the Course or just pick another Language?

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
there's nothing wrong with learning japanese but you will 100% run into anime neckbeards in the japanese courses, esp the intro ones so steer clear friend

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
I learned japanese so that I could read hentai without waiting for translations

I hope that's a good answer to your question

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
I think you'd be doing everyone a favor if you just stopped using language all together.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Speaking from experience if you mention any element of Japanese culture that isnt anime in a japanese class you are forgiven.

Just mention you like Yasunari Kawabata or Bito Takeshi movies and you're good.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

OP should learn English instead.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
If you're fat and have a neckbeard might as well take Japanese, you probably won't be the only one in the class. If you're not do what everyone else does and take Spanish (or sign language if it's available) it's a LOT easier.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Sounds like cultural appropriation to me!!!

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

Chomp8645 posted:

Sounds like cultural appropriation to me!!!

According to the title, it's now called "dunking"

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Speaking from experience if you mention any element of Japanese culture that isnt anime in a japanese class you are forgiven.

Just mention you like Yasunari Kawabata or Bito Takeshi movies and you're good.

Will definitely take this into consideration. Thank you.

unironic

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

why dont you take a class in sucking my dick

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

AND BEfore you say it: it would be a very long class which would run all semester

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Do whatever you want OP, one of the perks of being an adult is picking your interests without catering to schoolyard conceptions of coolness.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Fess up buddy: where's this copied from

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

a hole-y ghost posted:

Fess up buddy: where's this copied from

Me. C'mon bro you gotta admit it's getting really insufferable at this point. Like i'll admit it making fun of Anime Incel Nerds was funny as hell in Early to Mid-00's Internet now it's just boring and again, TryHard

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

C.S. Lewis posted:

When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

LOL, just LOL at anybody who would give somebody poo poo for learning a language. Oh no, putting an effort into something that may appear childish! Apart from any personal enjoyment of getting into something you enjoy, there are legit mental benefits of learning new languages.

You using Duolingo, op? I'm currently lvl 9 in Japanese, and I'm starting to recognize a good portion of the hiragana/katakana on sight. It's pretty awesome.

And I give zero fucks. Check out my anime avatar.

:wink:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
when loving Saturday Night Live starts making Sketches about Anime Nerds you know in your heart of hearts its time to stop, Internet

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

runupon cracker posted:

Check out my anime avatar.

could be better

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Brain : making fun of anime for being bad
Big brain: making fun of anime is itself bad
Galaxy Brain : Make fun of anime for its exploitation of workers and progressive nullification of creative expression

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I smirk whenever people make fun of my fedora. I possess the boldness to openly wear whatever item of clothing I like regardless of internet-based social convention, whereas the haters are just drones witlessly regurgitating the meme of fedora-hatred. I hear you, OP.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
OP is a fuckin weeb lol

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Brain : making fun of anime for being bad
Big brain: making fun of anime is itself bad
Galaxy Brain : Make fun of anime for its exploitation of workers and progressive nullification of creative expression

this but unironically

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nooner posted:

OP is a fuckin weeb lol

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I was not being ironic :colbert:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Mukip posted:

I smirk whenever people make fun of my fedora. I possess the boldness to openly wear whatever item of clothing I like regardless of internet-based social convention, whereas the haters are just drones witlessly regurgitating the meme of fedora-hatred. I hear you, OP.

8/10, because I've literally only seen one person wear a Fedora in real life and its mostly only bald Black guys at this point

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Nooner posted:

OP is a fuckin weeb lol

Balzac
Sep 20, 2001
Japanese cartoons/comics are fine in moderation, just like anything in life.

Take the course. Yes, everyone will know it was anime that got you interested but most people don't care.

Its a fun language to learn at the beginner level, but be aware that anything above that is a royal bitch and will require a lot more work than say, spanish/french. Most of this comes from having to memorize kanji.

Most of your classmates will also be taking the course because they watched some japanese tv/cartoons once and thought "cool language!". For the most part they'll be normal folk who know how to behave themselves in class. You also might get one or two older students that are learning the langauge for their spouse or for business reasons.

There will be one or two fatass neckbeard/catlady crazies. One will flunk out immediately, the other will go on to become fluent and insufferable.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
FWIW, everyone's interests are stupid and useless. You should define yourself by what you put back into the world, not your lame hobbies and ~interests~

Also, the only language you should be learning is Spanish. Latinas are hot, and telenovellas are loving insane.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Rad-daddio posted:

FWIW, everyone's interests are stupid and useless. You should define yourself by what you put back into the world, not your lame hobbies and ~interests~

Also, the only language you should be learning is Spanish. Latinas are hot, and telenovellas are loving insane.

On the other hand if you learn Chinese you will be better able to earn favor when they conquer the world

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

i'm gonna assume that once you get past the intro level course the anime nerds get weeded out. it's hard and a lot of work and I don't think many anime watchers are up for that.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Anime is good and language isn't capitalized

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Based on the OP, I think you should finish learning English grammar, first.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Halser posted:

could be better

rude!

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Rad-daddio posted:

christ you sound bitter

NightshadeGenitals
Dec 28, 2017

Star maths and wishy thinking
Anyone that’s into Japan that doesn’t actually have any ancestry from there is almost always pretty hosed up.

And anime is loving terrible.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

"MY interest in the culture of Nippon is pure and good, unlike those filthy neckbeards" - man with anime girl avatar

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

lol at trying to normalize anime with a bunch of "come on guys" and "hey now let's be real"

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit
My hobby is eating string cheese

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Tom Gorman posted:

i'm gonna assume that once you get past the intro level course the anime nerds get weeded out. it's hard and a lot of work and I don't think many anime watchers are up for that.

to get a head start I'm currently reading 'Read Japanese Today' by Len Walsh and it doesn't seem TOO hard to remember. But please tell me what to expect in the Intermediate to Advanced Courses in terms of difficulty. Like do they go over Kansai Dialect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
OP is uninterested in 3D women

• Locked thread